PDA

View Full Version : Random lookalike (and "celebrity" fans)

leithsansiro
23-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Just browsing through a few music things online, and came across Scottish folk outfit Admiral Fallow's performance of Sunshine on Leith from Hogmanay last year - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ugrVN6A*** Is it just me, or is the lead singer a dead ringer for wee Lewis Stevenson?

On a related note, anyone know if the band are Hibees? The boy is from Edinburgh after all and they sing a song including the lyric a "red Subbuteo team painted green". I reckon we should claim them as one of us!

barcahibs
23-02-2012, 08:21 PM
The boy's got a wee Hibs badge on his guitar strap so I'd guess at least he's a Hibby. Remember noticing it when it was on TV.

BoltonHibee
23-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Danny's not too complimentary in his comments :)

leithsansiro
23-02-2012, 08:32 PM
The boy's got a wee Hibs badge on his guitar strap so I'd guess at least he's a Hibby. Remember noticing it when it was on TV.

But more importantly, could he indeed be Lewis' missing twin? Assuming that his twin has a penchant for facial hair and folk music, of course...

Peevemor
23-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I think his name is Louis, which indicates an alarming lack of imagination on their parents' part (if they are indeed brothers!).

I wonder if they have a sister called Louise?

leithsansiro
23-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I think his name is Louis, which indicates an alarming lack of imagination on their parents' part (if they are indeed brothers!).

I wonder if they have a sister called Louise?

And perhaps a Spanish cousin called Luis?

TornadoHibby
23-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Just browsing through a few music things online, and came across Scottish folk outfit Admiral Fallow's performance of Sunshine on Leith from Hogmanay last year - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ugrVN6A*** Is it just me, or is the lead singer a dead ringer for wee Lewis Stevenson?

On a related note, anyone know if the band are Hibees? The boy is from Edinburgh after all and they sing a song including the lyric a "red Subbuteo team painted green". I reckon we should claim them as one of us!

I had the misfortune to see these guys on the recent Hogmanay tv programme when they 'sang' SOL extremely badly IMO!!

I would have hoped that if the guy(s) is/are Hibbees that they would have shown more respect to the Hibs anthem than they did that night!

Every cloud has a silver lining though as I changed channel due to them and saw an excellent Hootenany with Jools Holland and guests!

allmodcons
23-02-2012, 09:50 PM

Excellent band. Lead singer louis abbot is a big hibs fan, defo one of us.
I have to agree they didn't do SoL justice at Hogmanay, but you can't have a go at a Hibs fan wanting to sing SoL.
Their debut album 'Boots met my Face' is superb and the 'red subbuteo team painted green' is a reference to Hibs.

Saorsa
23-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I had the misfortune to see these guys on the recent Hogmanay tv programme when they 'sang' SOL extremely badly IMO!!

I would have hoped that if the guy(s) is/are Hibbees that they would have shown more respect to the Hibs anthem than they did that night!

Every cloud has a silver lining though as I changed channel due to them and saw an excellent Hootenany with Jools Holland and guests!Wisnae just me then, I thought that was awful. Maybe some of their other stuff is better, I dinnae ken but he couldnae carry that tune in a bucket.

allmodcons
24-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Wisnae just me then, I thought that was awful. Maybe some of their other stuff is better, I dinnae ken but he couldnae carry that tune in a bucket.

This is much better, 3 really goods tunes. Take note of the Hibs towel for the sweat!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/tinthepark/2010/artists/admiral_fallow

Saorsa
24-02-2012, 12:40 PM
This is much better, 3 really goods tunes. Take note of the Hibs towel for the sweat!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/tinthepark/2010/artists/admiral_fallow:aok:

TornadoHibby
24-02-2012, 03:18 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/tinthepark/2010/artists/admiral_fallow

There are a good few Scottish bands who have this sound at the moment. I prefer We See Lights (http://weseelights.co.uk/), predecessors and contemporaries of your pals band, who are Edinburgh/Central Scotland based and who will be touring again soon! :agree:

They played T in The Park in 2008 and also the Isle of Wight Festival that same year! :agree: :wink:

SquashedFrogg
24-02-2012, 03:57 PM

Every cloud has a silver lining though as I changed channel due to them and saw an excellent Hootenany with Jools Holland and guests!

Is that the same 'Hootenany' that's recorded the week before during an afternoon?

Gave up on Jool's at Hogmany when a few years ago one of it's headline acts was amazingly performing a gig another country at the same time :wink:

It was subsequently exposed that it was recorded earlier that week on a Tuesday afternoon. They even set the clock to fool people...

At least the Scottish lads sang live :agree:

Scouse Hibee
24-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Is that the same 'Hootenany' that's recorded the week before during an afternoon?

Gave up on Jool's at Hogmany when a few years ago one of it's headline acts was amazingly performing a gig another country at the same time :wink:

It was subsequently exposed that it was recorded earlier that week on a Tuesday afternoon. They even set the clock to fool people...

Yes that's the one but does it matter? It's still a hugely entertaining show and given the other pish that is on at the same time it's unmissable IMO.

Calvin
24-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Admiral Fallow are one of my favourite bands - made all the better when I found out that they were Hibees. Will catch them at the Queens Hall and the Lemon Tree in May and the Barras in December. Old Balloons is my favourite song. I actually enjoyed their version of Sunshine on Leith - different enough yet similar enough.

As for We See Lights, I saw them at the Christmas Songwriters' Club at Leith Dockers and enjoyed it - will have to look into their normal stuff.

The Green Goblin
24-02-2012, 06:59 PM
All this talk of Jools......took me back a few years. I don't meant to sound like a billy big baws, and it's honestly not how i mean it, (those folks on here that know me will know that's true), but I just couldn't resist chipping in with the fact that I wore my 70s Hibs retro top when I played on the show a few years back, and I'm still bloody proud of the fact to this day!!! :-) ggtth

TornadoHibby
24-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Admiral Fallow are one of my favourite bands - made all the better when I found out that they were Hibees. Will catch them at the Queens Hall and the Lemon Tree in May and the Barras in December. Old Balloons is my favourite song. I actually enjoyed their version of Sunshine on Leith - different enough yet similar enough.

As for We See Lights, I saw them at the Christmas Songwriters' Club at Leith Dockers and enjoyed it - will have to look into their normal stuff.

Was indeed a decent night at the 2011 Christmas Songwriters Club!

I haven't missed one yet! :thumbsup:

Calvin
24-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Was indeed a decent night at the 2011 Christmas Songwriters Club!

I haven't missed one yet! :thumbsup:
This was my first one but I'll definitely be back. I only found out about it because I heard Scott Hutchison was playing but I really thought all the acts were immense!

allmodcons
25-02-2012, 08:01 AM
There are a good few Scottish bands who have this sound at the moment. I prefer We See Lights (http://weseelights.co.uk/), predecessors and contemporaries of your pals band, who are Edinburgh/Central Scotland based and who will be touring again soon! :agree:

They played T in The Park in 2008 and also the Isle of Wight Festival that same year! :agree: :wink:

Cheers for the link, 'I hope you like The Smiths' was really good for a first time listen. I'm big Smiths fan myself.:greengrin
Just watched it with my 10 year old daughter who (surprise, surprise) enjoyed the video. Will look out for some more of their stuff.

TornadoHibby
25-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Don't think that I suggested that Hootenany was broadcast live?! :confused:

All of the acts on Hootenany perform live also, it's the programme that's not broadcast live that perhaps you're trying to highlight? :dunno::dunno:

SquashedFrogg
25-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Don't think that I suggested that Hootenany was broadcast live?! :confused:

All of the acts on Hootenany perform live also, it's the programme that's not broadcast live that perhaps you're trying to highlight? :dunno::dunno:

Just don't understand why people would watch a pre-recorded program which blatantly claims to be live? :confused:

It's like watching a football match you already know the score of :agree:

TornadoHibby
25-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Just don't understand why people would watch a pre-recorded program which blatantly claims to be live? :confused:

Why not give up whilst you can? :rolleyes:

How the hell is a live music performance being shown on tv for the first time even remotely similar to what you suggest in your post!? :confused:

Scouse Hibee
25-02-2012, 06:59 PM

There is absolutely no comparison!

ian cruise
25-02-2012, 11:35 PM
I can confirm, knowing the man personally, that Louis is a Hibby. He does keep dingying me for matches though. That might be more to do with my company than his love of hibs though.

I too enjoyed the cover but I think it is just a personal taste thing.

Andy74
25-02-2012, 11:40 PM

Eh?

Pedantic_Hibee
25-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Shout out to a group called Broken Records who are Scottish. I worked with one of the dudes in the band, great lad as well :aok:

matty_f
26-02-2012, 12:27 AM
http://www.reverbnation.com/tomfairnie

Another cracking Hibby musician...:thumbsup:

TornadoHibby
26-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Shout out to a group called Broken Records who are Scottish. I worked with one of the dudes in the band, great lad as well :aok:

Funnily enough, I know the BR guys very well too!

New album in the making methinks! :wink: