PDA

View Full Version : Down but not "down" yet

The Sea-gull
23-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Sorry for the depressing post but these are depressing times. As a club, as we all know, we have major problems on the footballing side, have done for years. There have been endless debates about when the rot actually set in but in the grand scheme of things being ordinary or poor in the last 30 years is more the norm for Hibs than being good or great.

The last two years however seem to have been particularly bad though I am sure we have been through worse but the memories of recent bad times always seem worse than those in the past. I remember a really bad couple of years from around 1996 - 1998 which are quite similar to what we have endured in the period 2010 - 2012 and it ended in relegation, just hoping this current state will not have the same outcome.

I'm not that big on gathering stats but in the last two years we have maybe won about 7 home SPL games from about 40 in this time. I can't think of many games where we have won by more than the odd goal aside from the freak 3-0 at Ibrox in Nov 2010. We have lost games left right and centre to every team in the league. It used to be that we would lose the odd game to your Dunfermlines/Falkirks/St Johnstones and Motherwells now we lose to them more often than getting even a point from them. The manner of the defeats has been hard to take. Losing games having taken the lead, losing without displaying fight or quality, losing late goals, the 6-6 v Motherwell, countless defensive blunders and some horrible thrashings to ordinary teams. We have had games where we have lost 3 goals countless times, in this two year period I can think of us losing 4 goals to Dundee United, Hamilton, Kilmarnock and now Motherwell. We lost 5 to St Johnstone.

Against the Old Firm we have been largely unable to score many and have now lost 4 and 5 against them as well as a few 3s. OK, it is never easy against the old firm but can't remember a time when we have found it so hard. We have failed to beat Hearts in this time, haven't even come close and the sad thing is they don't seem to have to even play that well to beat us.

While being a Hibby hasn't always been that great, the stuff as higlighted above that we have had to endure in the last two years is not the norm either.

On the bright side, I still tell myself that Fenlon has changed things since January, the new players will gel and the last two games were against the rampant league leaders and comfortably the SPL's third best team. I do start to wonder if it may come down to the post split game v Dunfermline but right now it does sometimes feel like we are relying on Dunfermline not being capable of putting a run together as we don't look like being able to manage a run ourselves. If the Pars do pick up, we could be in big trouble as I wonder if we have the mentality (the players and the fans) to apply ourselves for a battle. We have to be though and at the risk of sounding like Yogi, the time for rolling the sleeves up has well and truly arrived; it actually arrived some time ago but it is not too late to start doing it now.

:flag::flag::flag::flag: