PDA

View Full Version : Just Back from Motherwell - My Thoughts

The Voice Of Reason
22-02-2012, 10:27 PM
1. Thought Griffiths was our best player by a mile - I simply couldn't believe when Fenlon took him off :confused:

2. Overall I thought Motherwell looked physically stronger than us and slightly sharper/fitter

3. Noticed that we never had a man on the back post for corners against - that will come back to haunt us some time soon!

4. Sproule - very very poor

5. O'Connor - started off OK but fell away badly

6. The first goal we lost just after half time - absoloute joke from Doherty (I think) and did Stack need to come charging off his line (yes he DID come off his line!) and foul the guy ?

7. Higdon for them was really good- a handful both in the air and with his hold up play (not to mention his overhead kick) - reminded me a bit of of Mixu in his prime - we should try and sign him for next season (IF we stay up)

8. Their keeper (Randolph) made great save at 1-1 - we should try and sign him for next season (IF we stay up)

9. Fenlon - craz subs in my opinion - why did he take Griffiths off and not bring Doyle on ?!?!? :confused: :grr:

Yet another defeat, I really am sick of losing and do fear for us. Where is our next win going to come from ?!?

:worried::worried::worried::worried::worried:

FastEddieFelson
22-02-2012, 10:31 PM
can't believe o'connor and sproule stayed on the park while griffiths was taken off. absolutely bizarre.

john18722
22-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Agree couldn't believe he took griffiths off and neither could the majority of Hibs fans given the booing.

Sproule was truly awful today and how he managed to stay on the pitch I do not know.

The game passed Claros by, he was pretty anonymous.

Have no idea what McPake and Doherty were doing for their first goal. Both were standing looking at the ball bouncing high in the air on around the 18 yard line and not clearing it. Why can't we defend!

Didn't think either were penalties to be fair but both were taken very well and Higdon's overhead kick was just brilliant.

frazeHFC
22-02-2012, 10:37 PM
There wasn't the 'first to the ball' mentality like in the Killie game.

The Voice Of Reason
Agree couldn't believe he took griffiths off and neither could the majority of Hibs fans given the booing.

Sproule was truly awful today and how he managed to stay on the pitch I do not know.

The game passed Claros by, he was pretty anonymous.

Have no idea what McPake and Doherty were doing for their first goal. Both were standing looking at the ball bouncing high in the air on around the 18 yard line and not clearing it. Why can't we defend!

Didn't think either were penalties to be fair but both were taken very well and Higdon's overhead kick was just brilliant.

I thought their first was a pen, and judging by the lack of players complaining about the second one, I am guessing that was a pen too. Will need to see replays.

R'Albin
8. Their keeper (Randolph) made great save at 1-1 - we should try and sign him for next season (IF we stay up)

Not for me, Stack is a better keeper IMO :agree:

The Voice Of Reason
22-02-2012, 10:39 PM

Fair dos.

Certainly in the cup game through at M'Well when we won on pans Randolph was immense against us, and tonight he made a crucial save when needed at 1-1 (I was cursing him!)

Sammy7nil
22-02-2012, 10:42 PM

Stack may be better but he aint proved and has been truly awful all season. Check the goals against column.

I don't understand the Ivan bashing he was very good in the 1st half other than giving away a silly free kick he worked very hard and did fade, he deseved to be subbed before Leigh but then so did another 6 or 7 players.

Allant1981
22-02-2012, 10:44 PM
GOC for me was prob our worst player tonight, he didnt win 1 single header, didnt beat a man, his touch was terrible. I was sat in the lower tier so didnt get a clear view of either penalty but both were avoidable, sproule was terrible again. I have no idea why LG was taken off, if he wasnt injured then fenlon needs his head looked. Best player on the park by a mile

Hibees07
can't believe o'connor and sproule stayed on the park while griffiths was taken off. absolutely bizarre.

Substitutions were a joke, your absolutely spot on regarding O'Connor & Sproule. Even worse than taking Griffiths off was bringing on that useless lump Martin Scott, how he get's anywhere near the team is beyond me, he actually makes O'Connor look fit.

Paddy Fenlon really tested my patience tonight and unless he does something remarkable in the next couple of weeks I will be calling for his head.

Virtually a whole new team has been signed and we are still crap.

Motherwell were a very average team tonight.

R'Albin
Fair dos.

Certainly in the cup game through at M'Well when we won on pans Randolph was immense against us, and tonight he made a crucial save when needed at 1-1 (I was cursing him!)

Never seen either game so can't comment, he makes some cracking saves but can be a little dodgey, one of the goals in the 2-3 game vs them a few seasons ago comes to mind. I think he would be a good keeper to have but I prefer Stack personally.

zlatan
22-02-2012, 10:45 PM

I massively disagree. I believe both are Irish internationals and out the 2 Randolph will be in the squad for Euro 2012 based on his form since signing for Motherwell, he's a very good goalkeeper.

IWasThere2016
22-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I thought their first was a pen, and judging by the lack of players complaining about the second one, I am guessing that was a pen too. Will need to see replays.

Just been on SSN. Stacky is conned for the first - but there are no protests. Similarly no protests for the second,

The Voice Of Reason
22-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Just been on SSN. Stacky is conned for the first - biut there are no protests. Similarly no protects for the second,

Did Stack need to come rushing off his line and foul/challenge the guy ? It was too far away for me to see properly !

I presume any forward would go down looking for a Pen in similair circumstances.

GreenCastle
22-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Wasn't at game but seeing highlights on SSN - surely Stack could have done better for the low cross ? Looked like it went right past him ?

cabbageandribs1875
22-02-2012, 10:57 PM
our throw-ins are trully f***n dreadful, can i suggest that in future the opposition takes our throw-ins as well...the ball enivitably goes to them anyway

cabbageandribs1875
22-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Wasn't at game but seeing highlights on SSN - surely Stack could have done better for the low cross ? Looked like it went right past him ?although it was at the other end, and i struggle to see the nearest set of goals :greengrin, i thought stack could have cut out the pass for the 2nd well goal...i'l need to see the highlights :)

IWasThere2016
22-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Did Stack need to come rushing off his line and foul/challenge the guy ? It was too far away for me to see properly !

I presume any forward would go down looking for a Pen in similair circumstances.

He gets there 2nd .. Whether he needs to come is questionable as the player is not running directly to the goal. The 2nd is poor also - I think he should have cut the cross out. Nowt going our way at the mo!

Dalkeith
22-02-2012, 11:00 PM
pretty sure i saw griffiths signal to bench he was finished

GreenCastle
22-02-2012, 11:09 PM
2 penalties - that's 2 more set pieces to add to the long list or corners / freekicks and long throws we can't seem to deal with. Anyone know how many this season - it's worrying ?

One goal straight after half time - which always deflates a team.

One goal just after we score (5 mins later here) - only recently against St Johnstone we conceded after we scored - always tough when you think your back in it.

The worrying thing is - it's like Groundhog day - concentration and basics :rolleyes:

Spike Mandela
22-02-2012, 11:15 PM
pretty sure i saw griffiths signal to bench he was finished

Hope the compliance officer never seen it:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
22-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Substitutions were a joke, your absolutely spot on regarding O'Connor & Sproule. Even worse than taking Griffiths off was bringing on that useless lump Martin Scott, how he get's anywhere near the team is beyond me, he actually makes O'Connor look fit.

Paddy Fenlon really tested my patience tonight and unless he does something remarkable in the next couple of weeks I will be calling for his head.

Virtually a whole new team has been signed and we are still crap.

Motherwell were a very average team tonight.

Seriously you will be calling for PF to be replaced:confused:.....He needs a lot longer than that, main priority is to stay up, and let PF rebuild team next Season.......

barcahibs
22-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Ditto just back, I think I seem to be in a more positive mood than the OP though...

Agree Griffiths had a great game, pacy, skillful and causing all sorts of problems for them. Seemed to have a wee altercation with their support not long before he came off but I didn't get a good view of what and why. Couldn't understand why he was taken off unless he had taken a knock or was possibly being taken off for his own good?

Thought Stevenson and Osbourne also had really good games, Stevenson in particular is a changed player from recent times. He covers every blade of grass, is always looking for the ball and making himself available and chases and harries when we don't have it. Lots of nice little flicks and touches and always available for quick one-twos. One particular point is that almost all this play is done in a positive way, trying to move the ball forward. Osbourne was a real threat going forward - we were on our feet cheering for his effort in the first half that went narrowly wide, couldn't believe it hadn't gone in! He disappeared for a while in the second half - but then so did most of the team just before Motherwell's second.

Claros is hopefully a long way from being fit and is taking time to adjust to the new continent and new league. Looked absolutely knackered after half time. Far too early to judge and hopefully he'll come good.

No opinions on either penalty except to say the Hibs players didn't argue much. First was due to poor communications between the centre backs leaving the ball to each other - not the first or last time it happened. Lots of work needs to be put into this, its understandable but its not acceptable, they need to talk to one another.

Thought Stack was at fault for their third, let the ball go through his hands to hit the bar then was far too slow repositioning himself to deal with Higdon's followup. In his defence don't think anyone (least of all Higdon) expected him to pull off the overhead kick - the next ten times he tries that they'll hit row z. Again in his defence Stack pulled off at least one excellent save in the first half - in fact other than that not sure he had any saves to make.

Other than a ten minute or so spell before their second goal I thought we were the better team. We created loads of chances - there were a couple of times when we were damn near camped in their box but we didn't get the luck required to get the ball in the net.

Most positive thing for me was the amount of fight the players showed. The heads could easily have gone down after the second third or fourth goals but they never did and we always looked likely to fight our way back into contention. For the team sitting joint bottom against the team thats the 'best of the rest' I'm not sure what more we can expect. Credit to Motherwell they also played some really nice football and for any neutrals watching it was probably a pretty entertaining game. Big downside was the lack of communication and organisation at the back but I've seen a lot worse.

The referee, as is traditional, gave them absolutely everything. The back of Griffiths jersey will have about three feet of stretch in it after all the tugging it took.

Surprised there were only 8000 there, felt like a lot more than that. Hibs crowd was good and felt very positive. Motherwell really need to get their PA system sorted, couldn't make out a word that was being said.

I honestly can't see us going down playing like that.

DH1875
22-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Thought we played OK first half.

Missed their first goal so can't comment.

Our defence is shocking. Is Francomb really a right back :confused:.

The game absolutely passed Claros by.

Substituting our best player was a joke.

WTF has happened to Garry O, unbelievable.

Kujabi showed more in the 10 mins than most of the team did the whole night.

McPake genuinely looked hurt at the end an appeared to give it a big WTF guys to the players around him.

LancashireHibby
23-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Just got back, think the criticism of Stack is a little harsh. He made a couple of decent saves in the first half and although he was definitely at fault for the first penalty, the third goal was an absolutely worldie as far as I'm concerned.

Once again we gave up possession far too cheaply and too many occasions of Chuckle Brothers defending, a case in point being the lead up to the first penalty when nobody would stick their nut on the ball.

A few positives to take from the game as well as the negatives, but it's points we need now, and fast.

Wellfan1984
23-02-2012, 07:03 AM
The referee, as is traditional, gave them absolutely everything. The back of Griffiths jersey will have about three feet of stretch in it after all the tugging it took.

You kidding right? How about when Hateley was smashed into the O'Donnell hordings by a late tackle no booking.
The elbow (which was meant - straight red) only a yellow.
Then booking Ojamaa when he nipped in ahead of your defender and putting the ball into the net. First it wasn't a free kick and then to compound that with booking the player.

Liams
23-02-2012, 07:08 AM
I think griffis was taken of to rest him for saturdays game, just a thought as he started on sunday and lastnight, I think fenlon will want to make sure he doesn't pull anything and be out till the end of season. Just a thought thou.

DaveF
23-02-2012, 07:44 AM
You kidding right? How about when Hateley was smashed into the O'Donnell hordings by a late tackle no booking.
Then booking Ojamaa when he nipped in ahead of your defender and putting the ball into the net. First it wasn't a free kick and then to compound that with booking the player.

Maybe he was booked for dissent? That's not the referee's fault - it's his.

BEEJ
23-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Ojamaa pulled the defender's jersey and tripped him up. Free kick every day of the week.

dangermouse
23-02-2012, 08:18 AM
My boss is a 'Well fan and was at the game. His first words to me were he couldn't believe we are bottom of the league. He reckoned we could have scored any time we went up the park and the main reason we lost is our defence is worse than theirs. He was also at the game against Hearts and said they hardly troubled the 'Well goal even with an extra man!

barcahibs
23-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Just got back, think the criticism of Stack is a little harsh. He made a couple of decent saves in the first half and although he was definitely at fault for the first penalty, the third goal was an absolutely worldie as far as I'm concerned.

Once again we gave up possession far too cheaply and too many occasions of Chuckle Brothers defending, a case in point being the lead up to the first penalty when nobody would stick their nut on the ball.

A few positives to take from the game as well as the negatives, but it's points we need now, and fast.

Just seen the BBC highlights and I have to agree my criticism of Stack for the third goal was far too harsh. Just shows how your eyes and memory can decieve you! I do however have a couple of questions about the second... Disagree about the first penalty as well think that was a harsh decision.

Didn't realise it was Sproule who had made the initial shot for the third goal (couldnae see it for the rather large bloke in front of me :greengrin ) so my opinion on his contribution has gone way up, he certainly showed plenty of fight last night if nothing else.

If the first tackle you mention is the one I'm thinking off then I don't think it was a foul never mind a booking.
Didn't see the elbow so won't comment on that but the boy who was booked for playing on after the whistle can't have any complaints, first it was a free kick, and then he compounded that by kicking the ball away. Automatic yellow card. Personally I'd have given him a red for ungentlemanly conduct (do you still get that?) too. And have had him flogged for wearing that disgusting yellow and maroon concoction of an outfit. :greengrin Opinions eh?

Every 50/50 decision went your way as far as I can remember.

Wellfan1984
24-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Just seen the BBC highlights and I have to agree my criticism of Stack for the third goal was far too harsh. Just shows how your eyes and memory can decieve you! I do however have a couple of questions about the second... Disagree about the first penalty as well think that was a harsh decision.

Didn't realise it was Sproule who had made the initial shot for the third goal (couldnae see it for the rather large bloke in front of me :greengrin ) so my opinion on his contribution has gone way up, he certainly showed plenty of fight last night if nothing else.

If the first tackle you mention is the one I'm thinking off then I don't think it was a foul never mind a booking.
Didn't see the elbow so won't comment on that but the boy who was booked for playing on after the whistle can't have any complaints, first it was a free kick, and then he compounded that by kicking the ball away. Automatic yellow card. Personally I'd have given him a red for ungentlemanly conduct (do you still get that?) too. And have had him flogged for wearing that disgusting yellow and maroon concoction of an outfit. :greengrin Opinions eh?

Every 50/50 decision went your way as far as I can remember.

:greengrin So luanching a guy off the pitch when the ball is knocked past you isn't a foul?

How could you see if the Ojamaa was a foul at the Cooper end (right in front of me) but not the elbow on Hammell!

Opinions, like you say! :wink:

The_Horde
24-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Ojamaa blatantly tugged the shirt of doherty, which was silly as doherty did not look confident in that situation at all. No idea about the rest though.