PDA

View Full Version : Penalties? I didn't think so.....

john18722
22-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Whilst I was at the opposite end of the ground neither of Motherwell's penalty decisions looked liked penalties to me. It looked very clear that Stack got two hands on the ball to parry/punch it away to safety and then the striker ran over his outstretched arms. It also looked like Doherty won the ball on the second penalty. What are everyone else's thoughts. I thought we were pretty unlucky tonight

hibeedonald
22-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Whilst I was at the opposite end of the ground neither of Motherwell's penalty decisions looked liked penalties to me. It looked very clear that Stack got two hands on the ball to parry/punch it away to safety and then the striker ran over his outstretched arms. It also looked like Doherty won the ball on the second penalty. What are everyone else's thoughts. I thought we were pretty unlucky tonight

Especially the second one, will need to see it again though.

PatHead
22-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Just seen them on Sky. Not sure about first, second a stonewaller. Couldn't tell from far end at game....

The Voice Of Reason
22-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Was difficult to see as it was so far away, so will need to see replays.

The first one - looked like a pen to me, shocking defending but did Stack really need to come charging off his line and foul the guy?

The second one - didn't strike me as being a pen when it happened, however none of our players complained so it either was a pen or they just don't care !

Another poor defeat. :grr:

Onceinawhile
22-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I thought the first one was a stonewall penalty but wasn't sure about the second. Minimal protest from the players but not sure if that's down to them being penalties or a lack of fight in the team.

glenberviehibee
22-02-2012, 10:38 PM

Just watched on SSN first dont think so looks like stach punched the ball before the player went down and the 2nd one also debatable as doherty may have got the ball also on the first one ref was not up with play and couldnt possibly have been at the right angle to be sure it was a pen

PatHead
22-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Just watched on SSN first dont think so looks like stach punched the ball before the player went down and the 2nd one also debatable as doherty may have got the ball also on the first one ref was not up with play and couldnt possibly have been at the right angle to be sure it was a pen

Thought the referee did very well to see through 2 players from 40 yards to give the first penalty myself............

andrew70
23-02-2012, 08:11 AM
I thought Stack made the Refs job very easy for him and while the award was soft it was probably the correct one...the second one however is a disgrace Docs has won the ball and it was never a pen!

Golden Bear
23-02-2012, 08:44 AM

I agree with your verdict on the first one but the second one looked like a stonewaller to me.

When you're down you get kicked and we're just not getting the rub of the green right now. Hopefully things will change and very quickly at that.

Thecat23
23-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Seen both on SSN this morning, if it was our players i'd be screaming for a pen for both. Thought the first was maybe a bit soft. Second one was a stonewall pen. How anyone thinks it's not is beyond me.

mcvie7
23-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Was difficult to see as it was so far away, so will need to see replays.

The first one - looked like a pen to me, shocking defending but did Stack really need to come charging off his line and foul the guy?

The second one - didn't strike me as being a pen when it happened, however none of our players complained so it either was a pen or they just don't care !

Another poor defeat. :grr:

and if he didn't come out and they scored anyway you would criticise the other way

PatHead
23-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Seen both on SSN this morning, if it was our players i'd be screaming for a pen for both. Thought the first was maybe a bit soft. Second one was a stonewall pen. How anyone thinks it's not is beyond me.

Agree with you re second but don't know how the ref could give the first as he was 40 yards away with players between him and the incident. I thought by the direction of the ball it was clear Stack had touched it. Throughout the first half Motherwell players were nipping away at the ref at every corner or free kick claiming they were being impeded. It obviously worked in the end......

Thecat23
23-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Agree with you re second but don't know how the ref could give the first as he was 40 yards away with players between him and the incident. I thought by the direction of the ball it was clear Stack had touched it. Throughout the first half Motherwell players were nipping away at the ref at every corner or free kick claiming they were being impeded. It obviously worked in the end......

I did think Stack got something on it too. I think it was the way the player just crashed down the ref assumed it's a pen. Either way I think Hibs should have got a draw from the game last night and were unlucky.

LancashireHibby
23-02-2012, 11:23 AM
I think if they were the other way round then we'd be screaming for them to be given. Stack's was completely unnecessary and the lack of protest at the second one tells it's own story.

Geo_1875
23-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Either Stack got the ball or the Well player kicked the ball away from goal and threw himself into the goalie. Either way the ref couldn't have been sure. Do you think Garry would have been given that decision?