PDA

View Full Version : Stack plays tonight.

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Fenlon sticks with Stack, a good decision imo, there's nothing between both keepers imo, Stack shades it for me. Dropping him would have been easy, Brown might feel aggrieved, but i feel its the right call.

IWasThere2016
22-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Agreed.

Steven_Hibs
22-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Fenlon sticks with Stack, a good decision imo, there's nothing between both keepers imo, Stack shades it for me. Dropping him would have been easy, Brown might feel aggrieved, but i feel its the right call.

Time will tell if its the right call :cb

hibeedonald
22-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Some of the abuse on here was unreal, he had 1 bad game.

LancashireHibby
22-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Quite right, doesn't do anyone any good to keep swapping 'keepers. I'm sure Stacky will reward PF's faith.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 12:20 PM
No complaints from me.

One of Stack and Brown will move on in the summer imo and we will bring in a new keeper.

Until that time I'm happy to stick with Stack although I wouldn't be unduly worried about Brown playing either.

bighairyfaeleith
22-02-2012, 12:21 PM
I agree, both have there faults but I would favour stack.

However should we lose tonight I reserve the right to come back to this thread and basically blame the OP for us getting beat!!

Spike Mandela
22-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Everybody deserves a chance to redeem theirselves. Hope he plays a blinder.

Billy Whizz
22-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Any idea on potential other changes for tonight?
Are Docherty and Soares fit?
I can see 2/3 changes with 3 games in 6 days

Judas Iscariot
22-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Soares & Docherty both fit

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Soares & Docherty both bit

Bit who?:wink:

Billy Whizz

Both bit who😄

easty

my finger?

the dust?

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2012, 12:55 PM
my finger?

the dust?

The first one was Charlie, and the other was freddie Mercury. :wink:

Judas Iscariot
22-02-2012, 12:56 PM
:faf:

:doh:

Fit :aok:

Thecat23
22-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Stack for me is very average at best. Happy enough he's playing as we don't have much better. But a new keeper in the summer is must. Anything that comes into the 6 yard box a keeper has to come and take or attempt it. He doesn't and this is where he fails badly as a keeper. Good shot stopper but that is what a keeper should be. I might offer my services myself in the summer :greengrin

NOLA
22-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Tam McCourt not play in goals? :greengrin

db03
22-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Stack for me is very average at best. Happy enough he's playing as we don't have much better. But a new keeper in the summer is must. Anything that comes into the 6 yard box a keeper has to come and take or attempt it. He doesn't and this is where he fails badly as a keeper. Good shot stopper but that is what a keeper should be. I might offer my services myself in the summer :greengrin

Please dont, your worse than Zibbi :)

Thecat23
22-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Please dont, your worse than Zibbi :)

haha shut it barker :) Although its a valid point!!

TornadoHibby
22-02-2012, 01:43 PM

I take it you don't get to many games then? :confused:

Stack has been living off his alleged "hard man" reputation for far too long and people have been over-looking the very obvious and well rehearsed on here weaknesses in his game! :rolleyes:

I don't think that this is the best decision for the team tonight but time will tell!

Ryan69
22-02-2012, 01:50 PM

1 bad game....?
He is a terrible goalkeeper!

How many goals has he been culpable for this season?
Add a 0 on end of the one and youll be nearer but not quiet there.

Aldo
22-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Sorry but Stack for me ahead of Brown every time. So he's had one bad game but saved us in many.

TBH don't see many teams keeping Smellic out and hope they do the same to the pars the nite. We need a big performance against a very good Well side and tbh we will be v lucky to come away with anything. Fingers crossed though.

Andy74
22-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Stack was the best keeper at the club before the weekend and still is now.

I'd be delighted if we got a better keeper in the summer, as i'd be delighted to improve any area of the team, but as it stands he should play.

RiseAbove
22-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Not a fan of stack on or off the pitch but agree that he is probably better than Brown and has the potential to have a decent game.

I think we will put in a better performance tonight and reckon we could sneak it 1-0 or 2-1.

Russ
22-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Seriously?, 1 bad game?, this clown has lost more goals in his 6 yard box than any keeper I can remember in history, he's stuck to his line like glue, he's the main reason our defence is so shaky, he inspires no confidence whatsoever. I was hoping Fenlon would have recognised his frailties and got him and the coaching staff working on it by now, alas, Sunday put that one to bed. Any keeper worth his salt commands his box, this clown can't even command his 6 yard box.

Devine
22-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Seriously?, 1 bad game?, this clown has lost more goals in his 6 yard box than any keeper I can remember in history, he's stuck to his line like glue, he's the main reason our defence is so shaky, he inspires no confidence whatsoever. I was hoping Fenlon would have recognised his frailties and got him and the coaching staff working on it by now, alas, Sunday put that one to bed. Any keeper worth his salt commands his box, this clown can't even command his 6 yard box.

Correct, to say stack has had one bad game is simply untrue.

The amount of goals we have lost recently due to him bein glued to his line is unreal. Brown is the better of the 2, id rather have a goalie that struggles with kickin than one that thinks he's playing subbuteo

500miles
22-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Stack is an OK keeper. Nothing more, nothing less. Good shot stopper usually, but stays on his line for crosses. We've had better, but we've had a helluva lot worse. In fact, he is the best we've had since Andersson left, and even he is overly romanticised after the Rangers CIS Semi penalty shoot-out.

Russ
22-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Stack is an OK keeper. Nothing more, nothing less. Good shot stopper usually, but stays on his line for crosses. We've had better, but we've had a helluva lot worse. In fact, he is the best we've had since Andersson left, and even he is overly romanticised after the Rangers CIS Semi penalty shoot-out.

You can't have been at many games this season if you think he is ok. A keeper is supposed to command his box, this clown can't even command his 6 yard box. It's not even up for debate imo, he is an utter clown.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 04:57 PM
I always wonder who folk would have rather than Stack or Brown.

When Graeme Smith was at Motherwell there was a 4 times yearly campaign on here to sign him, when he ended up with us it was a disaster.

When Mark Brown was at ICT everyone was desperate to sign him, we've now got him and folk say they don't rate him or we could do better.

The reason people want Zaluska (who's pish by the way), Randolph, Gallagher or whoever is simply because they don't play for us, if they did we would see their shortcomings (because every SPL keeper has them or they wouldnt be at this level) every week and again want someone better.

Sodje_18
22-02-2012, 05:01 PM
So evidently Stack has become the new scapegoat on here since Nish left...

The defence has been shaky because it's been mince, Stack imo has been one of the stand out performers this season.

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-02-2012, 05:02 PM

This...

:agree:

Russ
22-02-2012, 05:08 PM
So evidently Stack has become the new scapegoat on here since Nish left...

The defence has been shaky because it's been mince, Stack imo has been one of the stand out performers this season.
You just win the funniest award post for 2012, as early as it is, that is comical gold.

Green Mikey
22-02-2012, 05:09 PM

When Graeme Smith was at Motherwell there was a 4 times yearly campaign on here to sign him, when he ended up with us it was a disaster.

When Mark Brown was at ICT everyone was desperate to sign him, we've now got him and folk say they don't rate him or we could do better.

The reason people want Zaluska (who's pish by the way), Randolph, Gallagher or whoever is simply because they don't play for us, if they did we would see their shortcomings (because every SPL keeper has them or they wouldnt be at this level) every week and again want someone better.

:top marks

Andy74
22-02-2012, 05:14 PM

Correct. You can watch the SPL and EPL highlights and see the same things week in and week out.

I actually don't see many keepers at any level now that command their box the way people expect Stack to.

The ones that try generally cause mayhem!

This six yard box thing is also a fallacy. There are so many factors to balls coming in that you can't just say any ball in the six yard box shoud be the keeper's.

Russ
22-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Correct. You can watch the SPL and EPL highlights and see the same things week in and week out.

I actually don't see many keepers at any level now that command their box the way people expect Stack to.

This six yard box thing is also a fallacy. There are so many factors to balls coming in that you can't just say any ball in the six yard box shoud be the keeper's.

Get any keeper to analyse the goals we have lost this season, and I think you will find our static goalkeeper is to blame, a great shot stopper(Sunday apart) but he is woefully short in every other area. You watch any goalkeeper at any level, and 99% of times he will come out for anything in the air anywhere near his 6 yard box, except of course your Brazilianesque deliveries which are angle at pace and are always difficult, I'm talking about bread and butter crosses which he does NOT come for, which causes panic at the back.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 05:24 PM

The six yard thing does my nut in.

It's one of those things that is bellowed out by every wannabe Alex Ferguson coaching at under 13 level so often that its become a fact.

I've explained on here a million and one times why its nonsense but people have heard the myth so many times theyll never change their mind.

maturehibby
22-02-2012, 05:40 PM
would not let him see the inside of ER again as he is not the finished article though at 30 years old he should be .
His main fault is he will not come off his line and as a result eevry manager that plays against us plays on this and this results in goals ,
Thomson the goalkeeping coach must shoulder the blame for not knocking this out of him and if he has trained and coached him and he still has not done what he should have done there is no reason for his retention at ER and should be shown the door immediately .
His demeanour at full time on Sunday said it all to me as he joked and laughed with the Celtic players as he came off the park .
Reflect this mannerism to Lewis Stevenson who was visibly shocked at the result and had his head hung in shame at the result when he was one of the few who could have walked off the park with his head held high .
Stack is a professional footballer who is only here for the wages and has no loyalty to Hibs at all - and I know there are others on loan who are showing a desire to play for the jersey and here is a player who has been here 3 years and taken a wage and has given little or nothing in return .
My opinion and I have seen players in the past who have not been of the highest standard but who ran and ran and ran for Hibs - Stack does not care and should go now

Newhaven
22-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Im afraid he's had more than one bad game as you put it. His continual lack of dominance in coming for crosses has made us a sort touch at set peices

jane_says
22-02-2012, 07:37 PM
People on here seem to forget the keepers we've had for the last 8 years. People also seem to forget the part he played in our run after christmas last year that kept us up!!

He has his shortcomings and had a bad game on Sunday but he's the best we've got and the best we've had for some time

R'Albin
22-02-2012, 07:43 PM

:top marks

Hibs7
22-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Another sterling display from Stack the vampire. The defence is shocking too. We are feked.

ScottB
22-02-2012, 08:38 PM
9 goals in 2 games - drop him.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Well..You'll be right then pretty boy :))))....I'm guessing you hold down a job?

What a bizarre reply.

Yes I hold down a job. Have done everyday since I was 14 years old. Not that I see the relevance to this discussion.

More trolling and slavering from you.

hibee_girl
22-02-2012, 08:45 PM
9 goals in 2 games - drop him.

ALL 9 goals were his fault then?

ScottB
22-02-2012, 08:51 PM
ALL 9 goals were his fault then?

Not saying they were, bet a fair few were. Regardless, 9 goals in 2 games, drop him for somebody else in my book, it's not acceptable, and keeping him in hardly sends a positive message to our other keepers.

TornadoHibby
22-02-2012, 08:52 PM
The six yard thing does my nut in.

It's one of those things that is bellowed out by every wannabe Alex Ferguson coaching at under 13 level so often that its become a fact.

I've explained on here a million and one times why its nonsense but people have heard the myth so many times theyll never change their mind.

And why precisely should a good goalkeeper not seek to command his area and reduce the risk of losing goals from often hopeful crosses into that area!? :confused:

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 08:59 PM
And why precisely should a good goalkeeper not seek to command his area and reduce the risk of losing goals from often hopeful crosses into that area!? :confused:

He should if its the right decision to do so.

I'm not talking about Stack specifically here (he could come for more). I'm talking generally, when people come out with 'anything in the 6 yard box should be the keepers' they show an ignorance of the position.

Watch Shay Given, one of the best keepers in the EPL in his day. It's not in his game to dominate his box the way say Schmeichel did so you will be lucky to see him come for more than 2 crosses a game. I don't see many people lining up to criticise him.

TornadoHibby
22-02-2012, 09:06 PM

I'm not talking about Stack specifically here (he could come for more). I'm talking generally, when people come out with 'anything in the 6 yard box should be the keepers' they show an ignorance of the position.

Watch Shay Given, one of the best keepers in the EPL in his day. It's not in his game to dominate his box the way say Schmeichel did so you will be lucky to see him come for more than 2 crosses a game. I don't see many people lining up to criticise him.

Sorry mate, nothing there for me to make me think that's not an area for the goalkeeper to dominate whenever he has to to prevent a goal opportunity!

Stack's unwillingness to take responsibility for defending that area when he has obvious advantages over regular players is indefensible IMO!! :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Is calling someone a clown personal abuse on this site? Dunno?..

Seriously everytime I comment about Stack on here you can't wait to jump in with your usual pish. You're question about me having a job was bizarre and clearly some kind of stupid dig that has gone way over my head.

You've trolled this site fpr years with your **** stirring about MaKalambay and your desperation to put down any keeper that isn't him. You contribute **** all to these threads except trying to wind people up and enjoy the fall out.

If it was up to me you would have been emptied years ago because you are nothing but a troll and a boring one at that.

If you have anymore cheap digs or want to continue this conversation feel free to PM me because quite frankly I'm not getting involved in this absolutely pointless pish anymore.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Is calling someone a clown personal abuse on this site? Dunno?..

No - there's a smiley for it and everything...:clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::c lown:

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Sorry mate, nothing there for me to make me think that's not an area for the goalkeeper to dominate whenever he has to to prevent a goal opportunity!

Stack's unwillingness to take responsibility for defending that area when he has obvious advantages over regular players is indefensible IMO!! :rolleyes:

If a ball is drilled in to a crowded six yard box at chest height what advantage does the keeper have?

TornadoHibby
22-02-2012, 09:13 PM
If a ball is drilled in to a crowded six yard box at chest height what advantage does the keeper have?

So you would advocate that a good goalkeeper should make no attempt to deal with such a cross as you describe then even if by doing so a goal is likely to be scored into his net? :confused:

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 09:18 PM
So you would advocate that a good goalkeeper should make no attempt to deal with such a cross as you describe then even if by doing so a goal is likely to be scored into his net? :confused:

No. If a ball is high and hanging into the 6 yard box or if the keeper has a clearish run at it then he should come and claim it. Even if he doesn't get there chances are he gets a foul.

If the ball is drilled in or swinging away from the keeper there isn't always an advantage to coming for it.

I'm not saying keepers shouldn't come for crosses, merely that to suggest anything in the 6 yard box should be the keepers doesn't always work.

How many goals do you see where the keeper comes for a cross, doesn't get there and the ball is headed into an empty net where if the keeper stayed on his line he could have thrown his hat on it?

mikeyriley
22-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Stack can't command his 6 yard line never mind box. Also he can't keep the ball out the net. Is brown that bad? He must be If u stick with a gk in such poor form.

DaveF
22-02-2012, 09:21 PM
No. If a ball is high and hanging into the 6 yard box or if the keeper has a clearish run at it then he should come and claim it. Even if he doesn't get there chances are he gets a foul.

If the ball is drilled in or swinging away from the keeper there isn't always an advantage to coming for it.

I'm not saying keepers shouldn't come for crosses, merely that to suggest anything in the 6 yard box should be the keepers doesn't always work.

How many goals do you see where the keeper comes for a cross, doesn't get there and the ball is headed into an empty net where if the keeper stayed on his line he could have thrown his hat on it?

Agree and in the 1st half tonight there was one those balls you describe put in on the 6 yard line. Stack stayed rooted and Higdon got in a weak header which Stack then flapped round the post to concede a corner.

He really should be cutting stuff like that out and relieving pressure rather than building it.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Agree and in the 1st half tonight there was one those balls you describe put in on the 6 yard line. Stack stayed rooted and Higdon got in a weak header which Stack then flapped round the post to concede a corner.

He really should be cutting stuff like that out and relieving pressure rather than building it.

Agree entirely.

I acknowledged earlier Stack could come for more.

I still stand by my more general point though.

TornadoHibby
22-02-2012, 09:26 PM

Problem is though that if the keeper stays on his line and an attacker heads or kicks it towards the net from 6 yards ish he has got virtually no chance of stopping it from going into the net let alone 'throwing his hat on it'!! Think back to Sunday to see an example of that! :confused:

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Problem is though that if the keeper stays on his line and an attacker heads or kicks it towards the net from 6 yards ish he has got virtually no chance of stopping it from going into the net let alone 'throwing his hat on it'!! Think back to Sunday to see an example of that! :confused:

I think this may be an agree to disagree moment maybe?

(Would add a smiley but not able to on my phone!)

TornadoHibby
22-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Agree entirely.

I acknowledged earlier Stack could come for more.

I still stand by my more general point though.

Sounds to me like you've talked yourself into changing your mind on a very emphatic opposite view in less than an hour! :rolleyes:

TornadoHibby
22-02-2012, 09:30 PM
I think this may be an agree to disagree moment maybe?

(Would add a smiley but not able to on my phone!)

I'm sorry, you're just too clever for me! :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
22-02-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry, you're just too clever for me! :rolleyes:

Not what I'm suggesting at all.

It's pretty clear we aren't going to agree so not sure its worth arguing the toss for another 20 posts, falling out (if its possible to fall out with someone you don't know on an internet forum) and still not agree.

I was trying to make light of the 'argument', nothing more. Apologies if it came accross any other way.

Russ
22-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Well, we ARE talking about Stack specifically, read the title thread, the guy is a clown and should not be between the sticks..