PDA

View Full Version : Players hold meeting (without petrie)

NOLA
22-02-2012, 12:12 AM
As reported in the scotsman, the players all got together with the manager and all backroom staff and had a good clear the air chinwag to gee themselves up ahead of the motherwell game, they now realise they are in a straight fight with dunfermilne to avoid the drop, surprised this kind of meeting wasnt weeks ago if im honest.

SteveHFC
22-02-2012, 12:14 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs_players_hold_meeting_to_patch_up_team_spirit_ 1_2130157

silverhibee
22-02-2012, 12:29 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs_players_hold_meeting_to_patch_up_team_spirit_ 1_2130157

They should have invited a few fans along to who were at the game so they could have their say to.

basehibby
22-02-2012, 01:14 AM

This sounds like a good move to me - a frank discussion like the one described should help foster unity in the dressing room as well as helping to exorcise the demons of an embarassing defeat. Like Fenlon says though - the real talking will have to be done on the football pitch.

3pm
22-02-2012, 06:56 AM
They should have invited a few fans along to who were at the game so they could have their say to.

I'm a bit concerned the players have just realised that relegation is possible!

Hibs7
22-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Some people just cannot see any good in anything. ffs.

Craig_in_Prague
22-02-2012, 08:10 AM
With so many players being on loan, I am not sure how much they really care TBH.

abgreen
22-02-2012, 08:25 AM
With so many players being on loan, I am not sure how much they really care TBH.

Never understood this notion that if your on loan you don't care enough to try and win. That's surely the whole point of being a sportsman. To win!

Craig_in_Prague
22-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Never understood this notion that if your on loan you don't care enough to try and win. That's surely the whole point of being a sportsman. To win!

The modern sportsmen (especially football players) = care about their bank accounts and being comfertable.
So you can extend my comment about not caring to nearly all players, not just the loan one's. However, the loaned players have nice contracts and clubs to go back down to.

We got relegated in 1998; but at least it came across very much that the players cared. I don't see that anymore, and have felt apathetic to Hibs sides for a good few years now.

ScottB
22-02-2012, 08:30 AM

And the selection of permanent ones we've had over the last few years have clearly been?

Professional, committed players will care because it's what they do, the ones we have on loan are either trying to prove themselves to their parent clubs or earn moves to places new. The ones we have on our books are mostly avoiding the reality that they should be playing in the SFL.

I'd take the loaners any day!

yekimevol
22-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeh' well I just hope that someone pointed out to paddy that playing a 4-1-3-2 system against a team with good wide players is madness. Otherwise motherwell will tear us another new one.

abgreen
22-02-2012, 08:35 AM
The modern sportsmen (especially football players) = care about their bank accounts and being comfertable.
So you can extend my comment about not caring to nearly all players, not just the loan one's. However, the loaned players have nice contracts and clubs to go back down to.

We got relegated in 1998; but at least it came across very much that the players cared. I don't see that anymore, and have felt apathetic to Hibs sides for a good few years now.

As in most workplaces the better you perform the more rewards you are likeley to garner, whether that be more money, cups, winners medals etc. You need to care but as you have pointed out it sometimes that isnt enough. Hopefully our players care enough to perform and keep us from relegation

Captain Trips
22-02-2012, 08:41 AM
And the selection of permanent ones we've had over the last few years have clearly been?

Professional, committed players will care because it's what they do, the ones we have on loan are either trying to prove themselves to their parent clubs or earn moves to places new. The ones we have on our books are mostly avoiding the reality that they should be playing in the SFL.

I'd take the loaners any day!

That for me is the problem, no coincidence that our run of bad form over last few years has come not only with bad managers but with the amount of short term deals/loans coming in, we need players interested in here not impressing their team loaned from, yes Hibs players who join are usually hoping to move on but at least lets get 2,3 years out them.

Even if the loans are good which they all are not then it just messes up the team every 5,6 mths when we need to bring in others, there is far to much churn in the squad.

JimBHibees
22-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Yeh' well I just hope that someone pointed out to paddy that playing a 4-1-3-2 system against a team with good wide players is madness. Otherwise motherwell will tear us another new one.

You seem a little obsessed with the 4132 system. We werent beaten on Suinday because of the system more by a team with better players and a goalie and some players who couldnt do the basics. PF has used a number of systems Hearts 451, other games usually 442. Motherwell werent tearing us anything the last time we played.

Twa Cairpets
22-02-2012, 09:12 AM

Not buying this idea at all.

It doesnt spread to other area sof work - I take on a number of interim roles in companies - I know I'll be there for, say, three months then go back. If anything, I work harder in this positions. Equally, i could play for Hibs today, and I would most certainly care more than everyone else on the pitch, but I would not be a success. I take ability over passion any day - both are great, and I dont think we're missing that particualrly with the loanees anyway. McPake clealry gave a damn in the Killie game, Doherty isn't shirking, Claros isn't hanging back etc.

johnrebus
22-02-2012, 09:16 AM

Frankly, this sort of **** does my head in.

We are bottom of the League and have won ONE home game all season.

How many wake up calls do the players need?

:grr:

The Voice Of Reason
22-02-2012, 09:47 AM
On Topic - Good that they have had a meeting.

Slightly off topic - David Wotherspoon as the "team spokesman" - jeezo, the guy has consistently been our worst player this season (and that is saying something!) and should be nowhere near the 1st team.

The fact that he is even involved in the discussions sums up why we are struggling so much!

Forza Fred
22-02-2012, 09:58 AM
that for me is the problem, no coincidence that our run of bad form over last few years has come not only with bad managers but with the amount of short term deals/loans coming in, we need players interested in here not impressing their team loaned from, yes hibs players who join are usually hoping to move on but at least lets get 2,3 years out them.

Even if the loans are good which they all are not then it just messes up the team every 5,6 mths when we need to bring in others, there is far to much churn in the squad.

this

Hibs90
David Wotherspoon as the "team spokesman" - jeezo, the guy has consistently been our worst player this season (and that is saying something!) and should be nowhere near the 1st team.

The fact that he is even involved in the discussions sums up why we are struggling so much!

Get a grip. Horrible post.

NORTHERNHIBBY
Good move IMO. Much, much, much, much better, than the smiley faces and the "one win away from a good run that will see us in the top six", nonsense that we were reading last season.

SMAXXA
22-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I think its a positive move, at least we are trying various different things to change our fortunes. I can see some peoples views of why it took so long, but I'm not to fussed just glad it seems like there is passion kicking about the club to change things.

Now just ability, form and cutting out individual mistakes to sort out.

Craig_in_Prague
22-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Not buying this idea at all.

It doesnt spread to other area sof work - I take on a number of interim roles in companies - I know I'll be there for, say, three months then go back. If anything, I work harder in this positions. Equally, i could play for Hibs today, and I would most certainly care more than everyone else on the pitch, but I would not be a success. I take ability over passion any day - both are great, and I dont think we're missing that particualrly with the loanees anyway. McPake clealry gave a damn in the Killie game, Doherty isn't shirking, Claros isn't hanging back etc.

Did anyone break sweat on Sunday?

JimBHibees
22-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Slightly off topic - David Wotherspoon as the "team spokesman" - jeezo, the guy has consistently been our worst player this season (and that is saying something!) and should be nowhere near the 1st team.

I take it you know the guy well enough to be so disparaging about him. No need.

Twa Cairpets
22-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Did anyone break sweat on Sunday?

Yes. It was very hard work chasing those Celtic players all over the park...

But to answer the question semi-seriously, it is dangerous to conflate lack of effort or commitment to the result. It wasn't that we didnt try or players weren't putting in effort, Celtic just had - across the whole squad - much better players than we did.

Twa Cairpets
22-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Behave yourself.

Clueless in the extreme.

JimBHibees
22-02-2012, 10:55 AM

They may have cared but werent good enough to keep us up though obviously recognising the range in the quality of management during that particular season..

Personally think it is a completely personal thing, some players on long contracts get complacent about their positions. Some players on loans are keen and hungry to play and regenerate their career. IMO it isnt the case of long contract good, loan bad. Some of the players brought in on loan (McPake, Doherty IMO) are exactly the sort of players that we need in a relegation fight. I also dont think you could accuse Griffiths of not caring, if anythign he cares a bit too much.

I think also that Hibs have an option to buy a couple of the loan players (Griffiths, McPake assuming) so they will want to play in as high a league as possible.

Argylehibby
22-02-2012, 10:57 AM

I think you need to consider getting yourself a new username.

Wotherspiniesta
22-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Get a grip. Horrible post.

I take it you know the guy well enough to be so disparaging about him. No need.

Behave yourself.

Clueless in the extreme.

I think you need to consider getting yourself a new username.

:agree:

GreenCastle
22-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Do the players always get Monday off usually or just when they have a Sunday game ?

Spike Mandela
22-02-2012, 11:06 AM
One thing they have proven to be good at this year is talk. All the usual psychobabble bull**** spouted at press conferences "know we've let the fans down", "false position in the league", "working hard in training", "the results will come", " league position doesn't lie" "luck will change" etc etc.

Time for talking is over it's time to get wins at all costs.

hibsbollah
22-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Another apparently positive piece of news turned into a player bashing exercise. Im glad spoony is articulate enough to lead the discussion.

Gatecrasher
22-02-2012, 11:27 AM
I think its good they all got together to make sure they are all on the same page for the run in, i wish they had done it a bit sooner, it is also interesting to see what Fenlon and the coaches made of it and see who it up for the fight or not.

FWIW i think spoony has improved a lot since Fenlon came in.

marinello59
22-02-2012, 11:39 AM
That for me is the problem, no coincidence that our run of bad form over last few years has come not only with bad managers but with the amount of short term deals/loans coming in, we need players interested in here not impressing their team loaned from, yes Hibs players who join are usually hoping to move on but at least lets get 2,3 years out them.

How many times have you made exactly the same point now? If Carlsberg did cut and paste......:greengrin

IWasThere2016
22-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Some people just cannot see any good in anything. ffs.

I agree - RP wasnae there .. what mair could we want! :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2012, 12:15 PM
No sign of Petrie here either.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gVkTQdRA2woL15Jez7LTjdK_LONQ?docId=N05903213 29489899020A

Steven_Hibs
22-02-2012, 12:17 PM

:top marks:aok:

Captain Trips
22-02-2012, 12:18 PM
How many times have you made exactly the same point now? If Carlsberg did cut and paste......:greengrin

So? How long have we been p1sh? :wink:

Spike Mandela
22-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Another apparently positive piece of news turned into a player bashing exercise. Im glad spoony is articulate enough to lead the discussion.

Get off your high horse, what is so bloody positive about 'having a meeting':rolleyes:

Positive would be going out tonight and getting three points then following up that with a few more wins. We've heard all the talk before.

marinello59
22-02-2012, 12:22 PM
So? How long have we been p1sh? :wink:

Most of my lifetime. :boo hoo:

The Voice Of Reason
22-02-2012, 12:35 PM

In my post I said it was good that the meeting had taken place. :agree:

I was not having a go at David Wotherspoon personally, I do not have feelings towards him personally nor do I know him. He actually seems like a decent chap to be fair (as is my Grandad mind)

I do care about HIBS though! As a team we are detatched alongside the mighty Dunfermline Athletic at the bottom of the worst SPL in memory - we could easliy go down. We need a "Leader of Men" to come out and make a statement and instead we get David Wotherspoon, a lad who even in a massively underperforming team has done a good job in making us think that De Graaf actually might not have been that bad after all !

The fact that "Spoony" has had so many 1st team games and comes out as the "team spokesman" sums up why we are in the trouble we are in.

If that comes across as "classless" then apologies chaps. :agree:

HIBS TILL WE DIE

Albion Hibs
22-02-2012, 12:41 PM
I dont know why wotherspoon feels he needs to be sharing this with the press, in fact I do, he is no doubt trying to chum up to the fans a little. I think the motherwell boys probably take great heart and confidence from the fact that there has been melt down talks splattered all over the papers on the day of a game that we need to win. Please keep what happens between team, between the team.

I would hope that after every game, win, lose or draw there is a period of reflection, unless of course we have mastered the game and no more needs said.

Fenlon, who seems to like a bit of media time, actually summed it up pretty well, save the grand gestures for the pitch and spare us the newspaper filling stories.

Wotherspiniesta
22-02-2012, 12:45 PM
In my post I said it was good that the meeting had taken place. :agree:

I was not having a go at David Wotherspoon personally, I do not have feelings towards him personally nor do I know him. He actually seems like a decent chap to be fair (as is my Grandad mind)

I do care about HIBS though! As a team we are detatched alongside the mighty Dunfermline Athletic at the bottom of the worst SPL in memory - we could easliy go down. We need a "Leader of Men" to come out and make a statement and instead we get David Wotherspoon, a lad who even in a massively underperforming team has done a good job in making us think that De Graaf actually might not have been that bad after all !

The fact that "Spoony" has had so many 1st team games and comes out as the "team spokesman" sums up why we are in the trouble we are in.

If that comes across as "classless" then apologies chaps. :agree:

HIBS TILL WE DIE

Who would you prefer do the talking? Who is this "Leader of men" you want to come out and give an interview?

And most importantly, what does it f'in matter? The players need to start doing their talking on the pitch. At least Fenlon has acknowledged that.

As for your dig at Wotherspoon, it WAS entirely classless. There was no need for it at all.

The Voice Of Reason
22-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Who would you prefer do the talking? Who is this "Leader of men" you want to come out and give an interview?

And most importantly, what does it f'in matter? The players need to start doing their talking on the pitch. At least Fenlon has acknowledged that.

As for your dig at Wotherspoon, it WAS entirely classless. There was no need for it at all.

Who is this "Leader of men" you want to come out and give an interview - we are hardly spoilt for choice, almost anyone other than Wotherspoon (Stack maybe as he has a bit of "oomf" about him) would have been a better choice?

And most importantly, what does it f'in matter? The players need to start doing their talking on the pitch. At least Fenlon has acknowledged that - it matters because having presumably chosen to let the press know about the meeting, Hibs should have chosen a more appropriate spokesman than Wotherspoon IMHO

As for your dig at Wotherspoon, it WAS entirely classless. There was no need for it at all - As stated, I do not know Wotherspoon and it was not a personal dig at him. I do care about Hibs and Wotherspoon has stuck out as being bad this season, EVEN IN OUR TEAM OF MASS UNDERPERFORMERS!

You may not like the fact that people post on message boards to get things off their chest and express an OPINION ! If our opinion differs then I am OK with that and I won't spit my dummy tit out !!!!!

I would love it if Wotherspoon plays a blinder tonight (but more importantly, that Hibs win!)

P.S My Smileys are not working so I would have added a few in my post if I could have

Carrick Hibs
22-02-2012, 01:21 PM

Looks like am in a minority but cannae see what is so wrong with the views on wotherspoon. He has been consistently one our worst players this year and shouldn't be anywhere near the team. He's went from a promising attacking player full of enthusiasm to one that looks laboured and unsure of what to do other than give away ridiculous fouls after making mistakes.

The Voice Of Reason
22-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Looks like am in a minority but cannae see what is so wrong with the views on wotherspoon. He has been consistently one our worst players this year and shouldn't be anywhere near the team. He's went from a promising attacking player full of enthusiasm to one that looks laboured and unsure of what to do other than give away ridiculous fouls after making mistakes.

You are NOT in the minority mate.

Just check out all the "Player Ratings" threads this season and you will see what the fans think about Wotherspoon's performances - in the vast majority of games he sticks out as being bad even in our team of mass underperformers !!!!!

There is nothing "personal" in that , it is a fact.

marinello59
22-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Funny how a thread about a players meeting becomes yet another chance for people to bash Wotherspoon. We love to stick the knife in and twist it on here don't we? Meanwhile the call goes out to bring the young players through, we are sick of abusing the ones we already have in the team. Fresh blood please Petrie.

Thecat23
22-02-2012, 01:35 PM
If players and management have a meeting I think it should stay private. Makes them look stupid if they now go out and lose. Keep these things out the press please.

Wotherspiniesta
22-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Who is this "Leader of men" you want to come out and give an interview - we are hardly spoilt for choice, almost anyone other than Wotherspoon (Stack maybe as he has a bit of "oomf" about him) would have been a better choice?

And most importantly, what does it f'in matter? The players need to start doing their talking on the pitch. At least Fenlon has acknowledged that - it matters because having presumably chosen to let the press know about the meeting, Hibs should have chosen a more appropriate spokesman than Wotherspoon IMHO

As for your dig at Wotherspoon, it WAS entirely classless. There was no need for it at all - As stated, I do not know Wotherspoon and it was not a personal dig at him. I do care about Hibs and Wotherspoon has stuck out as being bad this season, EVEN IN OUR TEAM OF MASS UNDERPERFORMERS!

You may not like the fact that people post on message boards to get things off their chest and express an OPINION ! If our opinion differs then I am OK with that and I won't spit my dummy tit out !!!!!

I would love it if Wotherspoon plays a blinder tonight (but more importantly, that Hibs win!)

P.S My Smileys are not working so I would have added a few in my post if I could have

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who comes out to talk to the press. The fact is they have to start backing up what they're saying with performances and results on the pitch.

You chose this as another opportunity to have a pop at DW and that's your prerogative. I just think it was completely pointless and now you've turned it into another player bashing thread. So well done on that.

marinello59
22-02-2012, 01:39 PM
If players and management have a meeting I think it should stay private. Makes them look stupid if they now go out and lose. Keep these things out the press please.

I would assume that they have them every day in some form or another, whether formally or informally. After a doing like we got on Sunday then a wee bit of straight talking from everybody doesn't seem a bad thing. I don't really care if it's reported in the press or not, to be honest it seems strange such an event was deemed a news story in the first place.

truehibernian
22-02-2012, 01:53 PM

I agree. For me I have no issue with whether it's DW or any other player talking about the meeting. But talk is cheap and we have been there too many times before in the past. Team meetings should stay in the dressing room.....it only gives rivals a wee advantage IMHO. The table is enough for players to see what needs done.....their discussions, fall-outs, agreements, should remain in the room the discussions have taken place.

As I said in a post a few days ago.....the players, if they are truly professional and want to stay focused on the task in hand, should put their Blackberries/iphones aside, less Twitter and Facebook, and stay 100% blinkered on SPL survival - might not please fans who like the wee updates, but I want to see Hibs win games - I am not fussed if McPake has been to Nando's or Wotherspoon wants a cricket team to win. I know I sound a right grouch and dinosaur but for me the players have to be totally and utterly professional for the next run of games. And is it asking too much to take two months of their life to refrain from pubs and clubs - celebrate in post season by all means, but it does my dinger when I hear stories about players nightclubbing til the wee small hours when in the midst of a real football crisis.....and it is. Stay fit, alert and keen this next 10 games or so....then drink till you drop if you wish.

It was five going on ten on Sunday and the team, as DW says, lost shape - but again, leadership was missing on the pitch. Doherty looked over awed, Kujabi tense and not as willing getting forward, Osbourne laboured a little, and Stack didn't inspire confidence at the back. If they have agreed all these points and are willing to roll up sleeves, get in the faces of the opposition, and hunt in packs for the ball that's good enough for me. Less chat, more action.

JimBHibees
22-02-2012, 01:56 PM
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who comes out to talk to the press. The fact is they have to start backing up what they're saying with performances and results on the pitch.

You chose this as another opportunity to have a pop at DW and that's your prerogative. I just think it was completely pointless and now you've turned it into another player bashing thread. So well done on that.

Completely agree with that. What to me seemed a decent positive story has been spun to have an unnecessary pop at one of our young talented u21 players. Seems a strange thing to do especially given how big the game is tonight.

hibsbollah
22-02-2012, 02:07 PM
You are NOT in the minority mate.

Just check out all the "Player Ratings" threads this season and you will see what the fans think about Wotherspoon's performances - in the vast majority of games he sticks out as being bad even in our team of mass underperformers !!!!!

There is nothing "personal" in that , it is a fact.

I dont particularly rate Wotherspoon either. Ive been very critical of a lot of his displays thisseason. I just dont know why we can't accentuate the positive (or even just the neutral) instead of the negative.

I cant wait to see Soares back at right midfield, i have a feeling he'll get a few goals before the end of the season.

ancient hibee
22-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm just amazed that there isn't a team meeting on the first training day after every game.No doubt football will come into the 20th century with regard to management technique eventually.

The Voice Of Reason
22-02-2012, 05:14 PM
I dont particularly rate Wotherspoon either. Ive been very critical of a lot of his displays thisseason. I just dont know why we can't accentuate the positive (or even just the neutral) instead of the negative.

I cant wait to see Soares back at right midfield, i have a feeling he'll get a few goals before the end of the season.

Fair enough.

Hope you are correct re Soares.

I'm off to M'Well - COME ON HIBS

:flag::flag:

The Voice Of Reason
22-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Completely agree with that. What to me seemed a decent positive story has been spun to have an unnecessary pop at one of our young talented u21 players. Seems a strange thing to do especially given how big the game is tonight.

I don't think he is talented - lets agree to disagree on that. :agree:

Eyrie
22-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm just amazed that there isn't a team meeting on the first training day after every game.No doubt football will come into the 20th century with regard to management technique eventually.

And in a number of other ways. I was hearing today that some of the top English rugby clubs have four video analysts. Do Hibs have even one?

Frazerbob
22-02-2012, 07:13 PM
And in a number of other ways. I was hearing today that some of the top English rugby clubs have four video analysts. Do Hibs have even one?

Mate of mine used to be employed by the SFA to produce player and team profile DVD's. He'd supply a film of all opposition players to be given to each of the squad to watch so they could learn about their direct opponent as well as recent opposition team performances, tactics, team set up etc. Also used to film the Scotland games and training sessions. Harry Potter got rid of him...says it all really!

--------
22-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Really, Craig?

Quite a few of them didn't care enough to stay around to help get us back into the top league.

Sunny1875
22-02-2012, 09:52 PM

The blame should be placed where it belongs, at the feet of Bosman , and the bank accounts of the agents this spawned. This has gone a long way to killing the loyalty between players clubs and fans