PDA

View Full Version : Paul McGowan

George Clooney
21-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Interesting video from Sunday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOcMcvOPgiM&feature=player_embedded

linlithgowhibbie
21-02-2012, 09:18 AM
"HE CAN PISH OAN MA HAUN MAN" pure class!

cabbageandribs1875
21-02-2012, 09:38 AM
i've obviously missed something :greengrin who is paul McGowan and why are they singing about him ?

soupy
21-02-2012, 10:09 AM
i've obviously missed something :greengrin who is paul McGowan and why are they singing about him ?

Aye same here!!!!

Kojock
21-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Ex Celtc now playing with St Midden

"Like me and you hes a Provo too, walking in a McGowan wonderland" but hey its only Rankers that sing songs like that.

Sylar
21-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Quite laughable really, as if I were to call him a fenian, I'd be hauled before a judge and penalised.

Not that I have any notion to call him a fenian, but it just shows how laughably inconsistent the law is in Scotland.

Don't the Celtic fans also sing Paddy McCourt's fenian army?

Elephant Stone
21-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Quite laughable really, as if I were to call him a fenian, I'd be hauled before a judge and penalised.

Not that I have any notion to call him a fenian, but it just shows how laughably inconsistent the law is in Scotland.

Don't the Celtic fans also sing Paddy McCourt's fenian army?

How? If there was a Scotland song like that- say: "Harry Potter's Scottish Army" that's obviously fine. Does it make it fine to be called a Scottish *******? If it's used as an insult then the person saying it obviously thinks there's something wrong with it.

Over sensitive? Maybe. Inconsistent, no.

Beefster
21-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I've never understood an SPL player going along to support a rival SPL team.

Sylar
21-02-2012, 10:40 AM
How? If there was a Scotland song like that- say: "Harry Potter's Scottish Army" that's obviously fine. Does it make it fine to be called a Scottish *******? If it's used as an insult then the person saying it obviously thinks there's something wrong with it.

Over sensitive? Maybe. Inconsistent, no.

The word fenian is either classed as an offensive sectarian phrase, or it isn't. The context is almost incidental.

"******" would have been a better comparison, in the way that it's been reapporpriated by many young African American's in the USA as a term of endearment, yet the use of it by a white counterpart would be seen as inflammatory.

Elephant Stone
21-02-2012, 10:50 AM
The word fenian is either classed as an offensive sectarian phrase, or it isn't. The context is almost incidental.

"******" would have been a better comparison, in the way that it's been reapporpriated by many young African American's in the USA as a term of endearment, yet the use of it by a white counterpart would be seen as inflammatory.

The context is totally relevant. As I said above, if the word is used as part of an insult it is obviously meant in a derogatory way. Muslims call themselves "Muslims", if you call someone a "Muslim b*astard" you're using the word in a derogatory way, as if there is something wrong with being a Muslim, you'd quite rightly be arrested. What's the difference here? The context changes the intention of the word completely.

lord bunberry
21-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Fenian isn't sectarian phrase it only becomes so when you use it in a derogatory manner such as Fenian b******* the same way as.calling someone an english b******** or a black b******* its the context in which its used