PDA

View Full Version : Old Firm boycott

NAE NOOKIE
20-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I have never been a fan of the idea of not attending matches as a way to push for change at Easter Road or to protest against stuff Hibs are doing.

Just to make it clear I am not, and never would, advocate staying away from ER as a protest against anything that Hibs as a club are doing when it involves our own club business.

But now I truly feel that the future of Scottish football is in real danger and the following is something I genuinely feel has to happen in order to facilitate the change which is required.

With Rangers out of the picture ( and that likely to be the case for some time ) we need to get Celtic and any future revitalised Rangers into check and Scottish football onto a level playing field vis a vis wage structures TV deals and fair competition.

What I am odvocating therefore is that supporters of the other SPL clubs boycott home games with Celtic and Rangers. Not much room then for chairmen to pontificate about the income from the OF when their cash is negated by the missing home support.

The supporters clubs of the 10 non OF teams make a joint statement to the media to make it clear why we are taking this action and that it is for the good of Scottish football in the long term.

I hate the idea that Hibs would be at home and me not there ........ But as I said, this is the only way I can think of to save our game.

Thoughts please.

:boo hoo:

chrisski33
20-02-2012, 06:01 PM
So as a result our club would suffer a loss of income? Lol

ancient hibee
20-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Bit early in the day for such a long joke.Let me get this right - we solve the financial problems of the non OF clubs by not going to their matches.Don't think this will catch on somehow.

Scouse Hibee
20-02-2012, 06:14 PM
I have never been a fan of the idea of not attending matches as a way to push for change at Easter Road or to protest against stuff Hibs are doing.

Just to make it clear I am not, and never would, advocate staying away from ER as a protest against anything that Hibs as a club are doing when it involves our own club business.

But now I truly feel that the future of Scottish football is in real danger and the following is something I genuinely feel has to happen in order to facilitate the change which is required.

With Rangers out of the picture ( and that likely to be the case for some time ) we need to get Celtic and any future revitalised Rangers into check and Scottish football onto a level playing field vis a vis wage structures TV deals and fair competition.

What I am odvocating therefore is that supporters of the other SPL clubs boycott home games with Celtic and Rangers. Not much room then for chairmen to pontificate about the income from the OF when their cash is negated by the missing home support.

The supporters clubs of the 10 non OF teams make a joint statement to the media to make it clear why we are taking this action and that it is for the good of Scottish football in the long term.

I hate the idea that Hibs would be at home and me not there ........ But as I said, this is the only way I can think of to save our game.

Thoughts please.

:boo hoo:

If only!

EasterRoad4Ever
20-02-2012, 06:30 PM

I think the OP was thinking strategically i.e. short term pain for long term gain.

son of haggart
20-02-2012, 06:43 PM
A slightly different angle which I have advocated for ages is that non OF teams should play reserve teams against the OF at away games. Doesn't hurt us financially and we pick up no injuries or bookings to key players and lowers the entertainment value for them

frazeHFC
20-02-2012, 06:46 PM
A slightly different angle which I have advocated for ages is that non OF teams should play reserve teams against the OF at away games. Doesn't hurt us financially and we pick up no injuries or bookings to key players and lowers the entertainment value for them

Although there is the added chance we could be completely embaressed with a huge defeat. :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
20-02-2012, 08:26 PM

Thats what I am saying. If this doesnt happen then we can keep the OF in total control of our game with every decision made by the SFA and especially SPL subject to either overwhelming OF pressure or the inbuilt OF veto.

I cant believe any supporter outwith the OF wants that, so what do we do? Continue with the status quo, take the periodical OF beatings from teams filled with players on 3 or 4 times the wages our guys are on and give up the majority of our TV income to them as well.

Do we continue to bitch and whine from the sidelines about the nasty OF or do we do something about it?

What do you suggest ?

Phil D. Rolls
20-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Although there is the added chance we could be completely embaressed with a huge defeat. :greengrin

Could happen, I suppose. :agree:

Been a while since that happened.

Sir David Gray
20-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Aye, imagine the shame if our reserves were to lose 5-0 to Celtic. :shocked:

:wink:

cabbageandribs1875
20-02-2012, 09:57 PM

not a bad idea, i've been reading that the currant buns are campaigning(amongst themselves) to boycott away grounds( with dundee utd top of the hit list) all because it was every other clubs fault in scottish football that's to blame for their present predicament :rolleyes: away fans boycotting bigotbrox and darkheid would have minimum effect on any financial loss for both of them, but i imagine 'home' attendances would vastly dwindle, they dont need other spl clubs ? then lets call their bluff, what other country would want them ? and the very first thing to get shot of would be the ludicrous 11-1 vote nonsense, the problem is getting all non old-Squirm clubs to agree :( and that just wont happen :greengrin

fatbloke
21-02-2012, 12:54 AM

Ahm glad that disnae happen to our first choice 11:greengrin