PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson (merged)

ozzie
19-02-2012, 05:17 PM
it has to be the performance of Lewis Stevenson.

truehibernian
19-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Tried hard, lacked class when needed. His chance first half, after doing great to win ball, was atypical.....terrible miss when in 'nosebleed territory' for him.

Simply can't fault his workrate though.....seemed a wee bit lost out wide, I prefer him central. But he was switched there for a period and he got bullied too easily, as did Wotherspoon.

Part/Time Supporter
19-02-2012, 05:23 PM
O'Connor looked a bit livelier today. Maybe getting dropped gave him a kick up the arse.

hibee_girl
19-02-2012, 05:25 PM
O'Connor looked a bit livelier today. Maybe getting dropped gave him a kick up the arse.

:agree: He still doesn't deserve a starting place on Wednesday though.

Stevenson rightly got MOM today, think left mid suits him better than center.

Elephant Stone
19-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Hibs' MOM for sure. Osbourne could learn a thing or two from him, he was ****ing woeful.

Hibercelona
19-02-2012, 05:27 PM
if there was any positives today........

I wasn't there.

Negative

What a waste of perfectly good bandwidth.

hibsbollah
I thought he was very good until his miss one on one which then affected him a bit. Some clever incisive passes and always closed down his man.

Hes been solid for a good few months though so nothing to be surprised about really.

Hainan Hibs
Thought Stevenson played very well and O'Connor was looking a bit more lively.

Hibs Class
19-02-2012, 05:28 PM
There were no positives today. Simple as that.

Gala Foxes
19-02-2012, 05:29 PM
only positives are (1) it finished at 5 (2) we don't have to play them again

Scorrie
19-02-2012, 05:29 PM
PF in his post match interview: No positives to take from today at all. Honest I suppose...

bingo70
19-02-2012, 05:30 PM
I've put a thread on the pm board about Stevenson, he gives absolutely everything he's got and then a bit more but ultimately he's not good enough imo.

I think he'll eventually forge out a decent career as a first division player but imo he's just not got the quality we need.

For a box to box midfielder to have only scored one goal after the amount of games he's had is simply not good enough

marleyhib
19-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Queue for pies was quite short and I caught a bus on Leith Walk straight away at 4:20 :embarrass

hibsbollah
19-02-2012, 05:32 PM
...we can concentrate on the inevitable Cup Win.

truehibernian
19-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Hopefully Stack's last season at Hibs.

GreenCastle
19-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Fenlon now knows he MUST bring in a keeper in the summer - possibly 2 :agree:

We are still not bottom even though we lost 5v0 and won't play Rangers or Celtic till next season - unless it's Celtic in the cup.

GOC did better than previous weeks when he came on.

That's about it...

Pedantic_Hibee
19-02-2012, 05:40 PM
I managed to get a multi-pack of Frisps for £1 at the shops.

stubble
19-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Stevenson has shone in a team lacking quality....Not because he is quality. No. He is simply a trier. In this respect..fair play. However, he has had years to get up to a decent level and cement a regular start and failed big time. His level is 1st division standard. Hibs struggles, unfortunately, make most triers look better than they are. Stevenson is an honest pro...but if PF is serious about getting Hibs up to a top end of table standard, then Stevenson will be shifted on. He is an interim player and can't possibly be in PF's mid/long term plan.
:cb

truehibernian
19-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Buy one get one free on 6pack of Hula Hoops in Waitrose PH.....gotta love hula hoops.

cabbageandribs1875
19-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Stevenson has shone in a team lacking quality....Not because he is quality. No. He is simply a trier. In this respect..fair play. However, he has had years to get up to a decent level and cement a regular start and failed big time. His level is 1st division standard. Hibs struggles, unfortunately, make most triers look better than they are. Stevenson is an honest pro...but if PF is serious about getting Hibs up to a top end of table standard, then Stevenson will be shifted on. He is an interim player and can't possibly be in PF's mid/long term plan.

this

Pedantic_Hibee
19-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Buy one get one free on 6pack of Hula Hoops in Waitrose PH.....gotta love hula hoops.

Flavour? Was always fond of the cheese and onion and the salt and vinegar packets.

bingo70
19-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Totally agree

Beefster
19-02-2012, 05:51 PM
The only positive today is that my Bovril was absolutely ****ing roasting.

erin go bragh
19-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Tried hard, lacked class when needed. His chance first half, after doing great to win ball, was atypical.....terrible miss when in 'nosebleed territory' for him.

Simply can't fault his workrate though.....seemed a wee bit lost out wide, I prefer him central. But he was switched there for a period and he got bullied too easily, as did Wotherspoon.
The miss was terrible , could/should have put it to the left of the keeper and had about 5 yards of goal to aim for.
ggtth

truehibernian
19-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Flavour? Was always fond of the cheese and onion and the salt and vinegar packets.

Variety packs PH....or one flavour. You decide.

SaulGoodman
19-02-2012, 05:54 PM
I got a decent Pie at Half Time. And I didn't have to wait to get out at full time. And there was a tidy bird sitting next to me the whole game.

Houchy
19-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Fenlon now knows he MUST bring in a keeper in the summer - possibly 2 :agree:

We are still not bottom even though we lost 5v0 and won't play Rangers or Celtic till next season - unless it's Celtic in the cup.

GOC did better than previous weeks when he came on.

That's about it...

:agree:

Lets not get too depressed by the result today. We played a very good Celtic team who have no pressure on them now. It was merely a training session for them.

We've also got to remember that Stack gifted them 1 and Ki's goal... if he meant that, he must have the reactions of a ninja (and that's not meant to have any racist connotations just because he's Asian).

We'll play worse that that this season and win.

ackeygraham

That is a bonus - salt n vinegar or was it cheese and onion?

brianmc
The fact that LS stands out shows how far our teams standards have fallen-not how much he has improved.

Hermit Crab
19-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Thought Stevenson played very well and O'Connor was looking a bit more lively.

I wouldnt start O'Connor but we need his goals so fenlon doesnt really have an option as our other front men dont seem to be able to producw the goods at this level.

Westie1875
19-02-2012, 05:58 PM
No-one got sent off, that is all I can think of.

Part/Time Supporter
19-02-2012, 05:59 PM
:agree: He still doesn't deserve a starting place on Wednesday though.

Yes he does, mainly because Doyle was that bad.

SMAXXA
19-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Thought Mcpake won mostly everything in the air, stevenson played better than most, wotherspoon and ozzy pish again. Ozzy frustrates the hell out of me, he probably sees more of the ball than any other of our players but has been well below par in recent weeks.

Actually thought spark was one of our better players also, if not only for his work rate and looked busy.

Defo get rid of stack, won't come for a cross ball, murder.

All in all a bad day at the office.

Part/Time Supporter
19-02-2012, 06:00 PM
No-one got sent off, that is all I can think of.

I'm sure Mr Compliance Officer will rectify that...

:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2012, 06:00 PM
I didn't bother going.

stubble
19-02-2012, 06:10 PM
The fact that LS stands out shows how far our teams standards have fallen-not how much he has improved.

Ditto

Hibs7
19-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Hopefully Stack's last season at Hibs.

Agree 100%

Pedantic_Hibee
19-02-2012, 06:32 PM
That is a bonus - salt n vinegar or was it cheese and onion?

I plumped for the original and best triumvirate of your standard British flavours; cheese & onion, salt & vinegar and ready salted. An orgasmic evening of savoury snacking whilst wrestling Hibs away from the bottom 6 in Football Manager awaits.

I've also got some Kronenbourg left, about 14 fags and Allen Carr's EASYWAY guide to stop smoking to finish off reading as well.

This is the life, lads.

ekhibee
19-02-2012, 06:35 PM
I plumped for the original and best triumvirate of your standard British flavours; cheese & onion, salt & vinegar and ready salted. An orgasmic evening of savoury snacking whilst wrestling Hibs away from the bottom 6 in Football Manager awaits.

I've also got some Kronenbourg left, about 14 fags and Allen Carr's EASYWAY guide to stop smoking to finish off reading as well.

This is the life, lads.

Great book, but it didn't work for me sadly, as long as Hibs are pish there is virtually no chance of me stopping smoking...

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-02-2012, 06:36 PM
That despite the gulf in class, four of the goals were self inflicted and we can cut out errors with hard work.

givescotlandfreedom
19-02-2012, 06:40 PM
I liked the banner in the East pre-kick off:

ONE DOWN
ONE TO GO
OFGTF

Spike Mandela
19-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Positive.......Stevenson MOM

negative......Stevenson MOM

When such a committed but ultimately limited midfield player is MOM then it is understandable that we are equal bottom of the league.

Hibby D
19-02-2012, 06:51 PM
I wouldnt start O'Connor but we need his goals so fenlon doesnt really have an option as our other front men dont seem to be able to producw the goods at this level.

Am I missing something??? :dunno:

What "goods" is GO'C producing exactly???? :greengrin

Billy Whizz
19-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Positive.......Stevenson MOM

negative......Stevenson MOM

When such a committed but ultimately limited midfield player is MOM then it is understandable that we are equal bottom of the league.

Poor Lewis, puts in a great shift, gets mom and gets slagged on here!!!

SMAXXA
19-02-2012, 06:54 PM
I didn't bother going.

You wallaper, if I had to suffer that today so should you have lol

SMAXXA
19-02-2012, 06:57 PM

I don't think he is really getting slagged mate just people being realistic and I think lots of points about him are pretty accurate. Don't see many people taking anything away from the good work he's done.

Hibby D
19-02-2012, 06:59 PM

It shouldn't come as any surprise though....

Thank God this place isn't representative of all Hibs' fans :agree:

Spike Mandela
19-02-2012, 07:02 PM

Thank god we're not all accepting of a 5-0 gubbing and still talking of somebody being MOM. Embarrassing.

scoopyboy
19-02-2012, 07:03 PM

I agree he doesn't deserve to be slagged, I agree he was probably the least worst in our team but to me that says it all.

I said it weeks ago if he was our MOTM then we are in trouble.

He doesn't score, he doesn't set up goals but he does put in a shift every game.

Is this what we want at Hibs?

For me he is a good honest lad but not good enough for us if we aspire to be a good team again.

The only other positive for me out of today's game is that there is no doubt we need a goalkeeper. I think Stack is better than Brown but the bottom line is neither are good enough.

Bad day at Black Rock.

HH81
19-02-2012, 07:16 PM

Any idea why they stopped making the prawn ones? class.

Hibby D
19-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Thank god we're not all accepting of a 5-0 gubbing and still talking of somebody being MOM. Embarrassing.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Who's accepting of the result anyway? :dunno:

loanheadhibby
19-02-2012, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=goldenhibby;3121186]Poor Lewis, puts in a great shift, gets mom and gets slagged on here!!![/QUOTE)

1 goal in 5 years at Easter road! If running about and putting in a shift is all that is required then I am available for selection.

No disrespect to the laddie but he is everything that is wrong at my club. Mediocre to poor is acceptable.

hibsbollah
19-02-2012, 07:34 PM

Agree totally. Its actually quite funny from the usual anti-Lewis suspects, there are two possibilities 1-he plays poorly, so hes just ****** and we should get rid (but this hasnt happened for ages) or 2- Lewis plays well, but for the tornfaced fuds out there thats ALSO bad news, because it just shows how bad we've got when Lewis is our best player. Aye great :aok:

As you say, thank goodness .net isnt representative of all hibs fans. Some of the cobblers i read on here especially on matchday threads, would be at home on keekback.

scoopyboy
19-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Agree totally. Its actually quite funny from the usual anti-Lewis suspects, there are two possibilities 1-he plays poorly, so hes just ****** and we should get rid (but this hasnt happened for ages) or 2- Lewis plays well, but for the tornfaced fuds out there thats ALSO bad news, because it just shows how bad we've got when Lewis is our best player. Aye great :aok:

As you say, thank goodness .net isnt representative of all hibs fans. Some of the cobblers i read on here especially on matchday threads, would be at home on keekback.

Would you give him a new contract?

Famous Fiver
19-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Hbby D and hibsbollah

I'm with you guys all the way.

Some of the cack that gets spouted on here is so negative it can only come from closet J****s.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2012, 07:44 PM

Its been a long time since i thought Lewis was a decent player, but he's been our best performer for a good while. If they all played as well as Lewis has we'd not be in such a bad place. He's limited in what he does, but has been worth his place in the team this season.

bingo70
19-02-2012, 07:44 PM

Why would there be 'usual anti Lewis suspects' if he was good?

I'd love him to be a success I just don't think he's very good, terrific attitude though and if everyone gave the same amount of effort and commitment we'd be fine, although if everyone had his limited ability we'd probably be relegated.

If we don't renew his contract and he joins another spl team would you really worry about coming up against him?

Scouse Hibee
19-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Yes he does, mainly because Doyle was that bad.

:agree: Doyle not good enough and never will be IMO, I said previously that he lacked strength and turn of pace and I've still not seen anything from him to prove me wrong.

Billy Whizz
19-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Its been a long time since i thought Lewis was a decent player, but he's been our best performer for a good while. If they all played as well as Lewis has we'd not be in such a bad place. He's limited in what he does, but has been worth his place in the team this season.

I'm not here to defend Lewis, but in our current position we need all players to give 100% like him

Atalanta
19-02-2012, 07:46 PM
We still have a goal difference advantage over Dunfermline. Starting the day with a nine goal advantage helped but at one stage I was worried it might disappear completely.

greenlex
19-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Hibs' MOM for sure. Osbourne could learn a thing or two from him, he was ****ing woeful.
:agree: Possibly Ozzy's worse game so far for me.

IanFaeClerrie
19-02-2012, 07:50 PM
If anyone really thinks that, they are on another planet and, in Hibs terms, 10 years ago. There are at least 20 players in our squad below Lewis' level of performance and today Claros had the chance to take on Scott Brown and dominate him - failed, they Ozzy - crapped out of it and so it was left to Lewis. Interesting thet Lewis walked towards Brown twice at the end of the game to shake his hand and Brown deliberately walked away from him. Lewis is more than good enough to play for us and was the only Hibbie worth watching today.

Eyrie
19-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Being positive, if we had to have a poor performance then it was better to get it out of the way in a game we were never likely to win. We know by now what Fenlon is like, so we can expect a much improved performance on Wednesday against Motherwell and next Saturday at Kilmarnock.

We're still ahead of Dunfermline, albeit on goal difference, and that will move in our favour once they've shipped three or four in midweek at Darkhead.

IanFaeClerrie
19-02-2012, 07:56 PM
I liked the banner in the East pre-kick off:

ONE DOWN
ONE TO GO
OFGTF

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2012, 08:03 PM

:top marks

The way Osbourne saunters around pointing to all in sundry does my head in, least he has taken the Ross Chisolm role on:rolleyes:

Dinkydoo
19-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Lewis walked towards Brown twice at the end of the game to shake his hand and Brown deliberately walked away from him. Lewis is more than good enough to play for us and was the only Hibbie worth watching today.

I admit that I have, many times, called Brown a 'Hibs legend' and before I carry on, I don't think this changes that. However when he did play for us I told myself that his temperament was an age thing and his conveyed nature on the park was really just a ploy to unnerve the opposition. Deliberately not shaking Lewis's hand though - if true - is a really dickish thing to do, and from what I can tell serves no real purpose at all.

His reaction to Claros having a nip at him and his unsportsmanlike handshake refusal, really just shows him up to be a nasty piece of work tbh.

Oops, forgot my positive bit! :greengrin

I totally agree with your comment about Stevenson being the only player in our squad worth watching today - I'm really happy for him (going by any interviews I've seen/heard/read, he seems like a really nice guy who works his socks off)

Hibs Class
19-02-2012, 08:10 PM
I admit that I have, many times, called Brown a 'Hibs legend' and before I carry on, I don't think this changes that. However when he did play for us I told myself that his temperament was an age thing and his conveyed nature on the park was really just a ploy to unnerve the opposition. Deliberately not shaking Lewis's hand though - if true - is a really dickish thing to do, and from what I can tell serves no real purpose at all.

His reaction to Claros having a nip at him and his unsportsmanlike handshake refusal, really just shows him up to be a nasty piece tbh.

Coincidentally, I'm reading Pat Stanton's Hibernian Dream Team at the moment (good read by the way) and it has mention of many Hibs legends. Take it from me, Scott Brown was an excellent player for us and played his part in our 2007 league cup win, but he is miles away from being a legend. Even when he was with us, we liked him because he was our player. That doesn't mean we have to dislike him any less because he now acts the prick when he plays against us. Still a good player, but all the other stuff he comes up with and gets away with defines him as a complete fud.

Wotherspiniesta
19-02-2012, 08:14 PM

The way Osbourne saunters around pointing to all in sundry does my head in, least he has taken the Ross Chisolm role on:rolleyes:

2 different players.

Stevenson was probably MOM, but its the same old story with him. Lots of effort but no end product. Ozzy was good today IMO. He plays with his head, can pick a pass, and has a fair bit of skill about him aswell. First name on the teamsheet for me.

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2012, 08:20 PM
2 different players.

Stevenson was probably MOM, but its the same old story with him. Lots of effort but no end product. Ozzy was good today IMO. He plays with his head, can pick a pass, and has a fair bit of skill about him aswell. First name on the teamsheet for me.

You are saying Ozzy was good, I beg to differ, the way he runs about looking busy, but doing hee haw is quality, he lost his man for 1st, and gave ball away for 2nd, not a tough tackler either, frustrating to watch.....

JimBHibees
19-02-2012, 08:24 PM
You are saying Ozzy was good, I beg to differ, the way he runs about looking busy, but doing hee haw is quality, he lost his man for 1st, and gave ball away for 2nd, not a tough tackler either, frustrating to watch.....

I thought he was poor also, him and Claros in the middle dont get close enough when we dont have the ball. He flatters to decieve IMO and has so much ability which is frustrating howwver we need to keep playing him as we dont have better. I think we may have to start playing 5 in the middle to support Claros and Ozzy (Lewis would be the obvious choice).

HFC 0-7
19-02-2012, 08:25 PM

What are you saying then? No one in this team is is good enough for the SPL? Stevenson has been MOM for a couple of games now and has played well pretty much every game this season. Think you are being harsh on him, he tries hard but he isnt just running about like a headless chicken, he is making good passes and breaking up play. every team needs a player like that. This 'interim' player is currently outshining players on loan from the premier league and championship.

cad
19-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Being positive, if we had to have a poor performance then it was better to get it out of the way in a game we were never likely to win. We know by now what Fenlon is like, so we can expect a much improved performance on Wednesday against Motherwell and next Saturday at Kilmarnock.

We're still ahead of Dunfermline, albeit on goal difference, and that will move in our favour once they've shipped three or four in midweek at Darkhead.

TBH mate Im fed up with hitting them with a big stick these boards have endless posts about terrible displays ,your point about having a howler against them rather than a team we maybe take points of are spot on .

I don't really want to have a pop but to not even get 5 Min's after half time without losing another goal was just criminal the ball lost the side of our box by Spoons I think another terrible 12ft pass , and a few passes later its number 3 ,Stack for the free kick and Hooper's wonder strike ,throwing the throw in straight out the park , endless other failures it was a stinker of the highest degree one that wont be surpassed for a long time .

One thing that is very worrying is some of these players are supposed to be to be very handy they looked anything but today ,Lewis for his effort ,and Big Garry were our best if there was a good Hibs player Sparky worked hard nearly made a fist of it standing stupidly on Broons toes needless booking IMO , when Pat and Billy go to East Mains tomorrow or Tuesday where do you start hell of a lot of work still to be done ,we were bad , but I thought they strolled that today with plenty in reserve .

The positives we had last week have been dealt another reality check so its back to the drawing board and move on , good luck Pat keep swinging .

GGTTH

greenlex
19-02-2012, 08:29 PM

On his performances since Fenlon came? Yes. absolutely. Are there better players out there. Yes absolutely. Lewis is a good squad player and wont cost the Earth. Hasnt let us or himself down for months in a team struggling for the most part. Says it all for me.

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2012, 08:33 PM
On his performances since Fenlon came? Yes. absolutely. Are there better players out there. Yes absolutely. Lewis is a good squad player and wont cost the Earth. Hasnt let us or himself down for months in a team struggling for the most part. Says it all for me.

Seconded:cb

hibsbollah
19-02-2012, 08:33 PM
standing stupidly on Broons toes needless booking IMO

I dont want to start a Leigh-bashing exercise (and I hope the compliance officer isnt reading this:na na:) but in the first half he fell to the ground with Wanyama on the sideline near us and while getting up slyly raked his studs into Wanyama's calf for a few seconds. Wanyama didnt complain but if it had been seen itd be a straight red. The boy can't help being a radge. I just hope he keeps getting away with it.

Wotherspiniesta
19-02-2012, 08:34 PM

He was a bit slack in the 2nd half, but he was impressive in the first half. Shielded the ball well at times and should have been given more protection by the ref on a couple of occasions. He also created a good chance with his clever play down the left, Wotherspoon should have done better and then went close with a header.

I can see why people don't take to him. He has a touch of the Beuzelin's about him and he certainly looks a little laid back, but there's little doubting his ability with the ball IMO.

hibsbollah
19-02-2012, 08:35 PM

A- Yes

Q-How many games where he is the best player on the pitch will it take before you agree he deserves your reconsideration?

hibee_girl
19-02-2012, 08:36 PM

HFC 0-7
19-02-2012, 08:37 PM
2 different players.

You are having a go at Stevenson for giving a lot of effort but no end product and then praise Ozzy who didnt put in as much effort and didnt have any end product either. Stevenson isnt a creative player so wont be setting up lots of goals, Ozzy on the other hand is meant to be more creative but he isnt producing anything either. Some people have made their mind up about stevenson and no matter how many good games he plays he just wont be good enough.

SMAXXA
19-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I thought he was poor also, him and Claros in the middle dont get close enough when we dont have the ball. He flatters to decieve IMO and has so much ability which is frustrating howwver we need to keep playing him as we dont have better. I think we may have to start playing 5 in the middle to support Claros and Ozzy (Lewis would be the obvious choice).

I agree with this.

How anyone can say Ozzy was good today must have been watching a different game from me. As stated above he flatters to deceive and as I stated earlier I think he probs sees more of the ball than most of our players but has been poor of late. I started a thread last saturday saying I think he's been poor since the dunfy game, wasn't as bad against kili but he's been poor imo, culpable for their 2nd today why didn't he just cross it ffs.

bingo70
19-02-2012, 08:41 PM
A- Yes

Q-How many games where he is the best player on the pitch will it take before you agree he deserves your reconsideration?

When has he ever been the best player on the park?

Seen this a few times now, I missed the game last week but everyone was raving about Doherty being mom, the killie game it was mcpake and kujabi, I can't remember him being mom before that?

He was maybe the best of a bad bunch today but in a 5 nil home defeat I don't think any mom is relevant

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2012, 08:41 PM
He was a bit slack in the 2nd half, but he was impressive in the first half. Shielded the ball well at times and should have been given more protection by the ref on a couple of occasions. He also created a good chance with his clever play down the left, Wotherspoon should have done better and then went close with a header.

I can see why people don't take to him. He has a touch of the Beuzelin's about him and he certainly looks a little laid back, but there's little doubting his ability with the ball IMO.

Watch his contribution for the first two goals Today.....

SMAXXA
19-02-2012, 08:42 PM
A- Yes

I think he probably deserves a new contract but ask yourself this aswell, would he feature in your hibs team next season, ie him being a first name on the team sheet? I don't, squad player in a stronger team for me but currently doing better than most in a poor team.

IanFaeClerrie
19-02-2012, 08:43 PM
2 different players.

Week after week, Ozzy underperforms. He is slow, he plays like Liam MIller and I keep hoping he'll dominate a game. Claros was better than Ozzy today and he was only in the game for about a third of it. Eventually, Stevenson was covering for them both.

Wotherspiniesta
19-02-2012, 08:45 PM
You are having a go at Stevenson for giving a lot of effort but no end product and then praise Ozzy who didnt put in as much effort and didnt have any end product either. Stevenson isnt a creative player so wont be setting up lots of goals, Ozzy on the other hand is meant to be more creative but he isnt producing anything either. Some people have made their mind up about stevenson and no matter how many good games he plays he just wont be good enough.

Sorry, I didn't realise saying Stevenson was man of the match was having a go at him? :confused: Stevenson done well today, no doubt. I just wish he had a bit more composure in the final 3rd.

cad
19-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I dont want to start a Leigh-bashing exercise (and I hope the compliance officer isnt reading this:na na:) but in the first half he fell to the ground with Wanyama on the sideline near us and while getting up slyly raked his studs into Wanyama's calf for a few seconds. Wanyama didnt complain but if it had been seen itd be a straight red. The boy can't help being a radge. I just hope he keeps getting away with it.

If he ends up in the stands on the run in ,he will never forgive himself , not being able to play because of his silly bookings , maybe costing us our SPL status now thats a radge of the highest order .

IanFaeClerrie
19-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Sorry, I didn't realise saying Stevenson was man of the match was having a go at him? :confused: Stevenson done well today, no doubt. I just wish he had a bit more composure in the final 3rd.

Agree completely - as a pro for a number of years, he should have been able to score in tht eposition he created for himself today. He could easily have taken the keeper on and slotted it with his left. The only way to improve in this is in training. He gets himself into these positions because of his speed which was amazing today but he needs to score more in fives and his confidence will go up.

hibsbollah
19-02-2012, 08:53 PM
I think he probably deserves a new contract but ask yourself this aswell, would he feature in your hibs team next season, ie him being a first name on the team sheet? I don't, squad player in a stronger team for me but currently doing better than most in a poor team.

If we have a stronger team obviously every player's job is under threat. I agree that if better midfielders come in Lewis will slip to a squad player. I'd always like to keep him in a squad even to play that Makelele role in front of the back 4, tidying up, starting play with intelligent passes and hassling runners with his pace over 10 yards before they get a free run at the centre backs. This is Lewis' strength IMO.

IanFaeClerrie
19-02-2012, 08:55 PM
If we have a stronger team obviously every player's job is under threat. I agree that if better midfielders come in Lewis will slip to a squad player. I'd always like to keep him in a squad even to play that Makelele role in front of the back 4, tidying up, starting play with intelligent passes and hassling runners with his pace over 10 yards before they get a free run at the centre backs. This is Lewis' strength IMO.

Agree - his first touch is as good as anyone we have and he always uses his first touch constructively and ferequently to attack.

jdships
19-02-2012, 09:03 PM

Thank you for a common sense post :agree:
LS for me did what he could to make an impression given who he had around him :rolleyes:

Wotherspiniesta
19-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Watch his contribution for the first two goals Today.....

Enlighten me...

Hibs7
19-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes to Stevenson on a new contract, best player by a mile for Hibs today. Attack was feeble, midfield missing 2.5 players (ozzy, Claros, spoony.)
Defence at sixes and seven with a weak vampire in goals, what chance did we have.!!!

silverhibee
19-02-2012, 09:15 PM
There were no positives today. Simple as that.

This.

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Enlighten me...

Not picking up runner at 1st, gave possession away which lead to the attack for 2nd.....

Woeful Today..............

HFC 0-7
19-02-2012, 09:17 PM

I would say "Its the same old story with him, lots of effort but no end product" is having a go at him.

hibsbollah
19-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Back to the OP...

Claros' purple boots were smart. Never seen that particular sartorial choice before.

Wotherspiniesta
19-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I would say "Its the same old story with him, lots of effort but no end product" is having a go at him.

It's not having a go, its a general observation picked up by just about everyone. I accept its not part of his game. Doesn't mean I didn't think he played well.

Wotherspiniesta
19-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Not picking up runner at 1st, gave possession away which lead to the attack for 2nd.....

Woeful Today..............

Brilliant.

So 2 goals were Ozzy's fault?

Bishop Hibee
19-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Stevenson played well but when he is our MoM then we know why we are in a relegation battle with possible the worst squad in our clubs 137 year history.

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Brilliant.

So 2 goals were Ozzy's fault?

He played a big part in both.

scoopyboy
19-02-2012, 09:57 PM
A- Yes

When we win games and he is the best Hibs player I will be delighted, however when he is the best Hibs player in a team that is beaten 5-0 at home then excuse me for not getting too excited.

And as a by the way he was not the best player on the pitch today, our visitors can lay claim to that.

scoopyboy
19-02-2012, 09:59 PM
He played a big part in both.

Brockie, there was only one man at fault for the first. It wasn't Osbourne.

EasterRoad4Ever
19-02-2012, 10:00 PM

Oh, Jesus :confused:

hibsbollah
19-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Stevenson played well but when he is our MoM then we know why we are in a relegation battle with possible the worst squad in our clubs 137 year history.

Well its original i'll give you that:cb

EasterRoad4Ever
19-02-2012, 10:03 PM

:agree: Not sure why a lot of Hibs fans can't see this. It was the same with Grant Brebner - a guy who couldn't get near a Hibs shirt when we had a good side and were winning games. But when we became rank rotten again, he was our best player and people raved about him. Brebner, Stephenson...... it's all relative. These guys are and were no good, hence we're bottom of the league.

Hibby 2005
19-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Booth nowhere to be seen yet Stevenson seems to be our main threat going forward :confused:

A simple one on one with the Celtic goalie leads to a pass back.

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2012, 10:11 PM
:agree: Not sure why a lot of Hibs fans can't see this. It was the same with Grant Brebner - a guy who couldn't get near a Hibs shirt when we had a good side and were winning games. But when we became rank rotten again, he was our best player and people raved about him. Brebner, Stephenson...... it's all relative. These guys are and were no good, hence we're bottom of the league.

So LS is being castigated for being MOM whilst not being good enough in some quarters, does not say much for rest of the team.......:rolleyes:

SloopJB
19-02-2012, 10:12 PM
We are not going to play teams every week with the calibre of player that celtic have at their disposal.
The teams we want to lose in the same part of the league as us also have to play celtic.
The team had another competitive game together.
The players will presented an opportunity to make amends and get this result out of their system soon.

C'mon the Hibbies, let's win this fight.

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Brockie, there was only one man at fault for the first. It wasn't Osbourne.

Yes Stack should have claimed ball, but Osbourne was sleeping.....

500miles
19-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Stevenson played well today. He has been playing well for a while. The thing is, a lot of people wrote him off a long time ago, and the team's current predicament has put them in no mood to give anything but the most begrudging credit and backhanded compliments.

Lewis is getting forward FAR more than he used to. He went past his man several times today, came away with the ball in a number of tight spaces, made some excellent blocks, closed down quickly, got balls into the box, tackled hard, covered every blade of grass, and made some excellent runs. He might have missed a good chance, but it was bloody good work to get that chance in the first place. Under Yogi, Lewis played well on a number of occassions, but Liam Miller - regardless of how poor he consistantly was, and Kevin McBride - even after his injury, we're Yogi's darlings, and always walked back in without merit! Under Calderwood, Stevenson produced a number of solid performances when called to action.

If you can't see that he played well today, by ANY standard, then you just don't want to. The only thing that holds Lewis back is the fact that he doesn't have the arrogance of the likes of Brown in his personality, to bring into his play.

Scouse Hibee
19-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Stevenson played well today. He has been playing well for a while. The thing is, a lot of people wrote him off a long time ago, and the team's current predicament has put them in no mood to give anything but the most begrudging credit and backhanded compliments.

Lewis is getting forward FAR more than he used to. He went past his man several times today, came away with the ball in a number of tight spaces, made some excellent blocks, closed down quickly, got balls into the box, tackled hard, covered every blade of grass, and made some excellent runs. He might have missed a good chance, but it was bloody good work to get that chance in the first place. Under Yogi, Lewis played well on a number of occassions, but Liam Miller - regardless of how poor he consistantly was, and Kevin McBride - even after his injury, we're Yogi's darlings, and always walked back in without merit! Under Calderwood, Stevenson produced a number of solid performances when called to action.

If you can't see that he played well today, by ANY standard, then you just don't want to. The only thing that holds Lewis back is the fact that he doesn't have the arrogance of the likes of Brown in his personality, to bring into his play.

Hibby 2005
19-02-2012, 10:23 PM

If he's so good why can't he score a simple one-on-one?

He gets a nose bleed anytime he enters the opposition box.

500miles
19-02-2012, 10:25 PM
What I'll also say is, Celtic are riding the crest of a wave right now. They're as good as League Champions, the fans are ecstatic about the possible demise of thier biggest rivals, they are on a record run, and they are the best team in the league. We went out there, and had a go, and we got skelped for it. And if we did go out, and defended for a respectable scoreline, we would have still got beat. I'd rather lose 5-0 giving it a go, and leaving ourselves exposed, than lose 2-0, or 3-0 and be happy with it. We got a doing - but Celtic are dishing plenty of them out right now.

Griffiths missed a sitter. Wotherspoon should have scored. Stevenson should have scored. While our finishing wasn't good enough, when we got forward, we made chances. That's important, and if we can do that against a team like Celtic, we can do better against those around us.

We could play like we did today - Stack apart - and still win games against the teams around us. What that says about the standard of the teams around us is for another discussion, but I'm not too downhearted about today.

500miles
19-02-2012, 10:27 PM

I don't know. Ask him. Or ask Scott Brown about why HE couldn't do it when he was it Hibs. Or ask Derek Riordan why he couldn't do it for the last 6 months he was at Hibs.

Disc O'Dave
19-02-2012, 10:31 PM

If by some miracle we manage to make the final, and if by some ever greater miracle we were to win it, with Lewis being MOM, you just know there will be a thread about how rubbish the Scottish Cup must be these days......

(I'm confident that scenario won't be tested, admittedly :wink:)

It's becoming obsessive....what other team has supporters who put so much time and effort into criticising one of the few players who is actually playing well?

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2012, 10:37 PM
If by some miracle we manage to make the final, and if by some ever greater miracle we were to win it, with Lewis being MOM, you just know there will be a thread about how rubbish the Scottish Cup must be these days......

(I'm confident that scenario won't be tested, admittedly :wink:)

It's becoming obsessive....what other team has supporters who put so much time and effort into criticising one of the few players who is actually playing well?

Agree, its actually cringeworthy that LS is deemed not good enough by some on here, even though he is putting in MOM performances....

Hibby 2005
19-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Unfortunately it's true, MOM Stevenson says it all.

Maybe we are doomed.

Scouse Hibee
19-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Maybe we are doomed.

So then it doesn't matter who gets MOM each week as it's not really valid in this team???

Disc O'Dave
19-02-2012, 10:45 PM

Maybe we are doomed.

It says to me that under PF, getting a regular starting place, and perhaps because he has a stronger midfield around him, Stevenson has improved leaps and bounds, is playing with confidence, and looks like getting close to realising the potential he showed in 2007.

The fact that some people wrote him off in the past, claiming he's never SPL quality, and probably ended the statements with "FACT" or "End Of" mean that there's a band of posters who, week on week, would rather put the boot into one of the few bright lights in this horribly dark season, that accept they may have misjudged the guy.

Maybe we ARE doomed.....

Hibby 2005
19-02-2012, 10:52 PM
It says to me that under PF, getting a regular starting place, and perhaps because he has a stronger midfield around him, Stevenson has improved leaps and bounds, is playing with confidence, and looks like getting close to realising the potential he showed in 2007.

The fact that some people wrote him off in the past, claiming he's never SPL quality, and probably ended the statements with "FACT" or "End Of" mean that there's a band of posters who, week on week, would rather put the boot into one of the few bright lights in this horribly dark season, that accept they may have misjudged the guy.

Maybe we ARE doomed.....

He is a defensive LM player who seemed to be our main threat going forward.

Hiber-nation
19-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Agree, its actually cringeworthy that LS is deemed not good enough by some on here, even though he is putting in MOM performances....

Indeed, all this "we must be pish if Stevenson was man of the match" stuff is right up there with some of the biggest pish I've read on here. And that's saying something...

The_Horde
19-02-2012, 10:59 PM

This. :top marks

The_Horde
19-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Indeed, all this "we must be pish if Stevenson was man of the match" stuff is right up there with some of the biggest pish I've read on here. And that's saying something...

We must have been pish when we skelped killie 5-1 in the final anaw then..

Disc O'Dave
He is a defensive LM player who seemed to be our main threat going forward.

I didn't think he was played as a defensive midfielder today, thought he was meant to be pushing forward. The fact he also helped defend far more than your average LM has done of late would normally be getting him plaudits.

David Murphy was a left back, and regularly was MOM, and our biggest threat going foward...that didn't seem to be used to slate him at the time....

Hibby 2005

MOM when you are beaten 5-0 is hardly great.

Hibby 2005
19-02-2012, 11:04 PM
I didn't think he was played as a defensive midfielder today, thought he was meant to be pushing forward. The fact he also helped defend far more than your average LM has done of late would normally be getting him plaudits.

David Murphy was a left back, and regularly was MOM, and our biggest threat going foward...that didn't seem to be used to slate him at the time....

But he is a defensive midfielder so why did PF play him anwhere else?

500miles
19-02-2012, 11:07 PM
MOM when you are beaten 5-0 is hardly great.

To keep pushing for something, and look like the only one in your team capable of competing with the opposition when the team is so far behind, is a credit to the player. If it was a case of being MOM because you were the "least bad", then that is no big deal. But he was the BEST in a team which didn't play well.

I would also point out that Forrest had to switch wings, because he was getting very little change out of Lewis or Pa. I also thought Kujabi was decent today.

proud_and_green
19-02-2012, 11:09 PM

He gets a nose bleed anytime he enters the opposition box.

Aye, let's just conveniently forget the goal that he blocked at the other end immediately before, his racing up the park, getting himself into a position to receive the ball, collecting it, getting into the position to take a shot. The only thing he did wrong there in my opinion was his shot choice. Of course every other player in the same situation would have scored...... oops forgot no other player got themselves into that situation - that's Lewis's fault though!

Well done again Lewis, you put in another good shift, in defence, ball winning and distribution and supporting the attack.

500miles

He is a left midfielder, a left back, a defensive midfielder..... He's got a number of talents - I'm getting the feeling you're being dense on purpose here.

Hiber-nation
;3121781']:agree:

We must have been pish when we skelped killie 5-1 in the final anaw then..

Ah he only got MOM cos it was Ian McCall who made the decision and he's a hun erse etc etc :rolleyes:

Hibby 2005
19-02-2012, 11:12 PM
He is a left midfielder, a left back, a defensive midfielder..... He's got a number of talents - I'm getting the feeling you're being dense on purpose here.

You missed out midfield attacker which he obviously isn't.

Disc O'Dave
19-02-2012, 11:13 PM

He's been played as a defensive midfielder previously, because that's where he was required to play. PF obviously sees enough quality in him to entrust him to play as an attacking midfielder too. So, essentially he's a "midfielder".

So far you have had a go because he was MOM. Then because he was our only threat going forward. Now because he's versatile enough to play in more than one position.

Normally, that sort of thing would be seen as a positive :confused:

The_Horde
19-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Ah he only got MOM cos it was Ian McCall who made the decision and he's a hun erse etc etc :rolleyes:

Aye, and because it was Mowbrays team and they made him look good..

Hibby 2005
19-02-2012, 11:28 PM
He's been played as a defensive midfielder previously, because that's where he was required to play. PF obviously sees enough quality in him to entrust him to play as an attacking midfielder too. So, essentially he's a "midfielder".

So far you have had a go because he was MOM. Then because he was our only threat going forward. Now because he's versatile enough to play in more than one position.

Normally, that sort of thing would be seen as a positive :confused:

It would be seen as a positive if he could actually acheive ALL these things.

Disc O'Dave
19-02-2012, 11:34 PM
It would be seen as a positive if he could actually acheive ALL these things.

But I was only quoting the things that YOU have said he did today?

Hibby 2005
19-02-2012, 11:41 PM
But I was only quoting the things that YOU have said he did today?

He huffed and he puffed but he didn't blow any house down (or score a goal).

IanFaeClerrie
20-02-2012, 06:27 AM

He just needs to add finishing to his game. Lewis continues to improve in all aspects of his game. As 500miles said, he now takes on players and Smeltic's RB was strugglign to contain him yesterday. He wins loads of headers, he is our best passer and is frequently our most creative player, starting a number of moves with his running off the ball. As soon as he's our weakest player, I will acknowledge it but for the moment, I am delighted that he continues to improve in very trying circumstances. I am stunned that fellow Hibbies cannot see it. I wonder what Jimmy O'Rourke thinks.

500miles
20-02-2012, 06:39 AM

So you have to score goals to be a good player now, aye? Everything else amounts to nothing? Away and throw *****.

scoopyboy
20-02-2012, 06:59 AM

Brockie, I don't think its cringeworthy in the slightest (I am referring to my comments only).

What I have said is that when Lewis is man of the match for us it tends to be in matches where we don't play well or get a result.

IMO he was Hibs best player yesterday and has been on a number of occasions this season. He is worthy of his place in the team every week just now but I just hope he can improve in that he shows more composure when going forward.

In games where we do get a result then Lewis' contribution generally gets overlooked even although he performs no worse in other weeks.

Goalscorers or guys who set up match winning goals are the type of players I want to see get MOM awards.

I look forward to the day Hibs win 2-0 and Lewis scores one and sets up another and if it happens then I will be the first to come on here and congratulate him for adding that final dimension to his game.

Beefster
20-02-2012, 07:29 AM

Stevenson was MoM in a team full of first division performances.

Not many are saying that he's not good enough for now, whilst we battle to avoid relegation, and should be dropped immediately. Folk are saying that, if we have ambitions of eventually challenging for European places (which is where we surely all hope Fenlon takes us), he won't be good enough. Just like a lot of them. Would Stevenson have gotten anywhere near becoming a mainstay of Mowbray's team of 2004/05, McLeish's of 2000/2001 or even Hughes' team of 2009/10? Not a chance.

I saw Clayton Donaldson get MoM once. It's fairly widely accepted that he wasn't good enough for where we strive to be.

Phil MaGlass
20-02-2012, 07:59 AM
I agree he doesn't deserve to be slagged, I agree he was probably the least worst in our team but to me that says it all.

I said it weeks ago if he was our MOTM then we are in trouble.

He doesn't score, he doesn't set up goals but he does put in a shift every game.

Is this what we want at Hibs?

For me he is a good honest lad but not good enough for us if we aspire to be a good team again.

The only other positive for me out of today's game is that there is no doubt we need a goalkeeper. I think Stack is better than Brown but the bottom line is neither are good enough.

Bad day at Black Rock.

The guy busts a gut and gets slagged off....if we had 11 Lewis Stevensons yesterday the damage may have been considerably less. Were ripping the guy for having a MOM and in the last games he has been MOM in the eyes of many supporters, yet that still isnae good enough. Give me a team full of hardworking and committed Lewis Stevensons anyday and we might not be in the crap that were in just now.
We have been screaming for players to stand up and be counted and all folk can do is rip a player who is doing exactly that, its actually beyond belief, oh no, its not beyond Hibs fans belief.

Septimus
20-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Just in case Lewis Stevenson reads this thread I would like to thank him for really trying in a team which is, at present, cobbled together from a bunch of mis-fits. There is talent there but to expect them to play cohesively against the runaway league leaders a couple of weeks after they have met is just plain nonsense.

In spite of all the abuse posted about him Lewis plays every week with his whole heart and seldom, if ever, does his head go down. Again thanks.

I wonder if some who post in these threads are troubled by his first name?

Beefster
20-02-2012, 08:50 AM
In spite of all the abuse posted about him

What abuse? Or does having a reasoned opinion on a Hibs player now qualify as abuse?

Our worst home defeat in 20 odd years but some folk don't think we should be allowed to question anything. No questioning the manager, no questioning certain players (unless they're the scapegoat de jour), no questioning the board and so on. Scrutiny is good, despite what some people think.

bingo70
20-02-2012, 08:53 AM
What abuse? Or does having a reasoned opinion on a Hibs player now qualify as abuse?

Our worst home defeat in 20 odd years but some folk don't think we should be allowed to question anything. No questioning the manager, no questioning certain players (unless they're the scapegoat de jour), no questioning the board and on and on.

Exactly, i think everyone is universal in their praise of his attitude and work rate but it's a sad day if we're not allowed to question the quality of players when we're joint bottom of the league and just been absolutely thumped at home.

scoopyboy
20-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Just in case Lewis Stevenson reads this thread I would like to thank him for really trying in a team which is, at present, cobbled together from a bunch of mis-fits. There is talent there but to expect them to play cohesively against the runaway league leaders a couple of weeks after they have met is just plain nonsense.

In spite of all the abuse posted about him Lewis plays every week with his whole heart and seldom, if ever, does his head go down. Again thanks.

I wonder if some who post in these threads are troubled by his first name?

Don't get this bit at all.

IWasThere2016
20-02-2012, 08:55 AM

He was outstanding - but we didn't have a bad player on the day.

But as often happens those making the call pick players similar to themselves/same position etc. eg McCall picks wee left sided Scottish midfielder. McCall was wee left sided Scottish midfielder.

IMHO Benji was MOTM - btw, I'm no a deluded Morrocan nomad with a heid full of nonsense :greengrin

since90plustwo
20-02-2012, 01:26 PM
What does this guy have to do to win over some people? Been playing out his skin recently and hes still ''an average SPL player''. POTY by a country mile, deserves it for the amount of time hes sat on the sidelines

frazeHFC
20-02-2012, 01:27 PM

EuanH78
20-02-2012, 01:37 PM
What does this guy have to do to win over some people? Been playing out his skin recently and hes still ''an average SPL player''. POTY by a country mile, deserves it for the amount of time hes sat on the sidelines

Agree Lewis has been good. I think if he could add goals to his game he would have a lot more admirers to be honest. Last few games he's got into decent position to score, should work on his finishing and he'd be an excellent player IMO.

Maybe spend some training time working with the strikers?

easty
20-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Agree Lewis has been good. I think if he could add goals to his game he would have a lot more admirers to be honest. Last few games he's got into decent position to score, should work on his finishing and he'd be an excellent player IMO.

Maybe spend some training time working with the strikers?

:faf:

hibsbollah
20-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Ive had enough of the Lewis debate now. Some folk made up their minds the boy couldnt play 3 years ago and won't accept whats going on in front of their eyes.

HibbyAndy
20-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Hibs best player this season, Hopefully gets a new contract.

Broken Gnome
20-02-2012, 02:02 PM
There were a few occasions Lewis was our most advanced player in the first half. It's rather symbolic of our struggles this season. He's not a creator and not a scorer. It's relatively easy to play against.

I don't think anyone necessarily thinks badly of him, just we were spoiled for midfielders before and people rightly or wrongly would like better, or see his role in the team as being a quiet, unshowy one. The fact he is playing well, and improving actually, makes the weekly discussion about him very unfair to honest, but he's the type of player that would always seem dispensable to many. Sad but true.

erskine-hibby
20-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Always thought Lewis was a good prospect. Being played in various positions by various managers hasn't helped him progress as well as some would like. If we has 11 players with his attitude we would not be in the position we are now.

easty
20-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Ive had enough of the Lewis debate now. Some folk made up their minds the boy couldnt play 3 years ago and won't accept whats going on in front of their eyes.

I've had enough of it too. Some folk are confusing hard work and actual footballing ability. Some folk won't accept that while he has the former in spades, he's sadly lacking in the latter.

Future17
20-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Lewis had a very good game yesterday, which come close to achieving the impossible considering how bad we were as a team.

His drive, determination and work rate should be a template for his fellow midfielders to follow and hopefully the round of applause that greeted his announcement as Hibs' Man of the Match lets him know he is appreciated.

Who would have thought at the end of last season that Lewis' new contract would be Calderwood's best signing. Time for Hibs to get him signed up as there are plenty of SPL clubs who would love to have him.

Spike Mandela
20-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Clearly opinion is split on the laddie, let's just leave it at that.

P.S. Admin can't you tag this onto the already lengthy positives thread with the Stevenson debate?:confused:

Benny Brazil
20-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Hibs best player this season, Hopefully gets a new contract.

Thats doesnt mean much with some of the dross we have had to put up with.

Unfortunately effort and commitment alone shouldn't get you a new contract.
Talent,technique and ability is what is lacking with Lewis.

The_Horde
20-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Thats doesnt mean much with some of the dross we have had to put up with.

Unfortunately effort and commitment alone shouldn't get you a new contract.
Talent,technique and ability is what is lacking with Lewis.

I thought he was one of the only hibs players to show these two attributes yesterday personally.

easty
20-02-2012, 02:27 PM
;3122356']I thought he was one of the only hibs players to show these two attributes yesterday personally.

When exactly?

Seveno
20-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Exactly. The manager knows how good he is and that's what matters. I'd be astounded if he isn't offered anew contract.

Well done and kepp it up Lewis. :aok:

Elephant Stone
20-02-2012, 02:51 PM
When exactly?

His first touch was spot on and he was composed in finding a team mate for the whole game, not just sideways passes as some people complain about; sharp, attack minded passes. Contrast that with Osbourne whose passing was ****ing revolting but who's seemingly untouchable on here.

euro Hibby
20-02-2012, 02:54 PM
actually think Lewis may have been held back by staying at Hibs for so long. We have been very average for a while now and not having good players around him have not helped him develop. The situation on the terracing is worse as w ehave also a pretty large ignorant section of fans who thng we should all play like Arsenal of a year or two ago. I remember Fletcher used to get some undeserved stick when even an idiot could see that he was going to be a very good football player. Lewis i think was almost a one man band yesterday. Sure he missed a good chance but he is nver going to be a goal scorer. On current form, think he deserves another contract, we have afterall signed worse players and cried also when we let worse players go !

Seveno
20-02-2012, 02:54 PM
When exactly?

Presumably you were not at the game. His pass rate was good, he anticipated lots of opening, participated in some excellent one-two's and was the only player able to take on his opposite number and beat him.

A good example of where he combined his work rate with an eye for space was when he headed a ball off the line at a corner, sending out to the left, the ball was passed on up the left and then into the middle of the Celtic half. Who was there to collect the ball, and pass it on to a Hibs player ? A clue - his initials are LS.

The_Horde
20-02-2012, 03:00 PM
When exactly?

He was the only hibs player to go past his man all day, the only one who put any meaningful crosses into the box and consistently retained possession. He was also the only hibs player to stand up to Brown and the only one who got near him the whole game.

Makaveli
20-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Footballing ability ≠ creativity.

Stevenson is very good at what he does, which isn't just "put in a shift" but rather chase down and win the ball then distribute it quickly and simply.

Osbourne is supposed to be the driving force in the midfield and it's as yet unclear exactly what Claros's role is going to be. In any event, it's hugely unfair to blame Stevenson for being the only one willing to get into advanced areas then having his lack of creativity shown up.

TornadoHibby
20-02-2012, 03:34 PM
When exactly?

I can only assume that you were either not at the game yesterday, didn't watch it on tv or are in urgent need of a new prescription for your spectacles!

Lewis was our best player (again) yesterday putting in a shift of great effort, energy, drive, will to win and no small measure of skill and ability!

If more players showed the same commitment we wouldn't be in the dreadful position that we currently find ourselves!

Well done Lewis!

Scouse Hibee
20-02-2012, 04:03 PM
It baffles me ??
I know people can have different opinions on players, however unless you are blind/don't understand the game/don't go to the game then there is NO way that you could not see how well LS has been playing in recent weeks.

Stantons Angel
20-02-2012, 04:40 PM
What on earth is wrong with you lot?

We were so bad yesterday that even i thought of walking out on them! (but i didnt)

With so MANY of your GIFTED And TECHNICALLY BRILLIANT players being so off the boil you pick on the best player in our team on the day!

That laddie has burst a gut for that jersey so many time this season. without being acknowledged in the way he should have been You only have to look at him during the game to see him absolutely knackered after another lung busting run up and down the park.

Yes he should have scored when he had the chance but he didnt, but gave more to the game in other ways. He was the only one of our midfielders to find positions free on goal, but nobody asks where the strikers or other midfielders were when he was so far forward on his OWN!

Lewis like the team itself needs support, so for heavens sake stop looking for someone to blame, that game is finished, done and in the past. Lets get on with supporting the team and Lewis on Wednesday.

gringojoe
20-02-2012, 05:10 PM
If the rest of the players had upped their game as much as Lewis has in the last few months we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now. Shame he gets a nose bleed when he gets to the edge of the box.

erskine-hibby
20-02-2012, 05:20 PM

We were so bad yesterday that even i thought of walking out on them! (but i didnt)

With so MANY of your GIFTED And TECHNICALLY BRILLIANT players being so off the boil you pick on the best player in our team on the day!

That laddie has burst a gut for that jersey so many time this season. without being acknowledged in the way he should have been You only have to look at him during the game to see him absolutely knackered after another lung busting run up and down the park.

Yes he should have scored when he had the chance but he didnt, but gave more to the game in other ways. He was the only one of our midfielders to find positions free on goal, but nobody asks where the strikers or other midfielders were when he was so far forward on his OWN!

Lewis like the team itself needs support, so for heavens sake stop looking for someone to blame, that game is finished, done and in the past. Lets get on with supporting the team and Lewis on Wednesday.

:thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more.:agree:

keep the faith
20-02-2012, 05:29 PM

Great post. lewis has been tremendous recently and we should be tying him down on a contract now. would love to see him at hibs for years. his fitness and all round game has come on leaps and bounds.

hibee_girl
20-02-2012, 05:29 PM

Hibs7
20-02-2012, 05:53 PM
If anyone really thinks that, they are on another planet and, in Hibs terms, 10 years ago. There are at least 20 players in our squad below Lewis' level of performance and today Claros had the chance to take on Scott Brown and dominate him - failed, they Ozzy - crapped out of it and so it was left to Lewis. Interesting thet Lewis walked towards Brown twice at the end of the game to shake his hand and Brown deliberately walked away from him. Lewis is more than good enough to play for us and was the only Hibbie worth watching today.

Totally agree, Lewis would be snapped up by any other team in the spl apart from the old firm, give the guy credit where it is due.

500miles
20-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Even some of the people defending Lewis are doing him a dis-service right now. Even his critics are forced to accept that he is a hard worker, and gives 100%. However, many of them refuse to recognise that he is technically gifted. And for me, given his ability to deliver excellent balls from the left had side, AND the more recently apparent ability to go past his man, and play his way out of tight areas, debunks the myth that he is all effort and no talent. A player who is very comfortable with the ball at his feet, and a decent first touch. He's a real asset.

Hibs7
20-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I've had enough of it too. Some folk are confusing hard work and actual footballing ability. Some folk won't accept that while he has the former in spades, he's sadly lacking in the latter.

Bull**** in abundance, as someone else said, if we had 11 lewis Stevenson's yesterday we would not have been hammered.

Disc O'Dave
20-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Even some of the people defending Lewis are doing him a dis-service right now. Even his critics are forced to accept that he is a hard worker, and gives 100%. However, many of them refuse to recognise that he is technically gifted. And for me, given his ability to deliver excellent balls from the left had side, AND the more recently apparent ability to go past his man, and play his way out of tight areas, debunks the myth that he is all effort and no talent. A player who is very comfortable with the ball at his feet, and a decent first touch. He's a real asset.

Hibs7
20-02-2012, 06:02 PM

Away and bile yer heid,

scoopyboy
20-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Totally agree, Lewis would be snapped up by any other team in the spl apart from the old firm, give the guy credit where it is due.

I think he deserves a new deal but remember any team can sign him up right now under pre contract.

I've not heard of other clubs after him but that's not to say he hasn't been approached!!!

HibbyAndy
20-02-2012, 07:11 PM
I think he deserves a new deal but remember any team can sign him up right now under pre contract.

I've not heard of other clubs after him but that's not to say he hasn't been approached!!!

St.johnstone and dundee utd have enquired about his availability.

scoopyboy
20-02-2012, 07:13 PM
St.johnstone and dundee utd have enquired about his availability.

Why?

All they have to do is sign him.

Spike Mandela
20-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Bull**** in abundance, as someone else said, if we had 11 lewis Stevenson's yesterday we would not have been hammered.

We certainly wouldn't have scored either.:devil:

Hibby D
20-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Brilliant post! (I felt your frustration :hilarious)

HibbyAndy
20-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Why?

Not 100% sure mate, But id imagine they were just making sure he was out of contract.

TrinityHibs
20-02-2012, 07:18 PM
If Lewis leaves for another SPL team we should just hand the season books back or not renew. He is without argument our most consistent player of the year. There is not another player who would be in front of him on the team sheet. Right enough he's not Messi but he fills gaps that need to be fillled and is the only player in the team who tracks back and attacks in the same movement. If and its a big IF he starts scoring goals he will be away from ER as soon as Rod gets a sniff of £££££££

scoopyboy
20-02-2012, 07:26 PM
If Lewis leaves for another SPL team we should just hand the season books back or not renew. He is without argument our most consistent player of the year. There is not another player who would be in front of him on the team sheet. Right enough he's not Messi but he fills gaps that need to be fillled and is the only player in the team who tracks back and attacks in the same movement. If and its a big IF he starts scoring goals he will be away from ER as soon as Rod gets a sniff of £££££££

I have seen plenty of players far better than Lewis leave Easter Road for other SPL teams and never even for a milisecond thought about handing my season ticket back.

But if you feel that is an action you want to take then go right ahead but let others make their own mind up.

And as he's out of contract at the end of the season then I don't think Rod will be sniffing much £.

bingo70
20-02-2012, 07:28 PM
If he's been so good and Mr consistent like people are suggesting why has he been pushed out to the wing, if he was doing so good in midfield we'd have left him there and put someone else on the wing

Elephant Stone
20-02-2012, 08:21 PM
If he's been so good and Mr consistent like people are suggesting why has he been pushed out to the wing, if he was doing so good in midfield we'd have left him there and put someone else on the wing

Just because Fenlon thinks Claros is a better CM doesn't mean Lewis hasn't been playing very well there. I think the fact that he's been put on the wing instead of dropped out the team altogether to accommodate Claros is more of a testament to him playing well rather than the other way around. I don't really get the point you're making there.

easty
20-02-2012, 08:29 PM

Aye we would.

bingo70
20-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Just because Fenlon thinks Claros is a better CM doesn't mean Lewis hasn't been playing very well there. I think the fact that he's been put on the wing instead of dropped out the team atogether to accommodate Claros is more of a testament to him playing well rather than the other way around. I don't really get the point you're making there.

I'm making the point that stevensons performances this season are being overstated, he's been full of industry but no more and he's not been mom the last few weeks like people are suggesting.

I had this debate on the pm board but what type of midfielder has he been? A box to box player? Offers no threat going forward so he's not that, playmaker? We've been missing one if them since boozy....defensive midfielder? Again we've been moaning all season that the midfield doesn't offer any protection.

Other than energy and enthusiasm I just don't see what he brings to the table

easty
20-02-2012, 08:35 PM

You might as well give up Bingo. I'm sure you, like me, would love Stevenson to be the player so many others think he is. We seem to be in the minority that doesn't see the superstar in him.

In a couple of years, when we're a better side than we are now and Stevenson isn't part of the regular first team I've no doubt they'll be saying it was Hughes or Calderwood or Hanlon or Petries fault that he didn't go on to bigger and better things.

matty_f
20-02-2012, 08:40 PM

And if he hadn't been impressing he'd have been out the side altogether. That Fenlon trusted him to perform in a different position and kept him in the side speaks volumes for how well Lewis has been playing recently.

Shrekko
20-02-2012, 08:46 PM
You might as well give up Bingo. I'm sure you, like me, would love Stevenson to be the player so many others think he is. We seem to be in the minority that doesn't see the superstar in him.

In a couple of years, when we're a better side than we are now and Stevenson isn't part of the regular first team I've no doubt they'll be saying it was Hughes or Calderwood or Hanlon or Petries fault that he didn't go on to bigger and better things.

Totally agree.

It's a difficult one as the boy is playing well but I've never seen so much hyperbole around a player of that type. He seems to have an army of fans just waiting for a decent performance to blow out of proportion- it's been the same for years and a lot of folk have the cheek to say he's been a victim of the boo boys!

I think he is exactly what we need at present and I do think he's pretty skilful- a nice tidy wee player. I just think overall you'd, in an ideal world, want him to be a fringe player you could rely on when required.

People are confusing him being best of a bad bunch (and that's not a given) as meaning a player who is capable of having a big influence on a game. I don't see a lot of scope for improvement in his game but it's always satisfying seeing any player play as well as possible so good on him for that- I just refuse to do cyber cart-wheels over it.

bingo70
20-02-2012, 08:46 PM
And if he hadn't been impressing he'd have been out the side altogether. That Fenlon trusted him to perform in a different position and kept him in the side speaks volumes for how well Lewis has been playing recently.

Or that galbraith doesn't offer much either but at least Stevenson offers work rate. Starting Stevenson was the right thing to do, I don't have a problem with that, if we're to progress though we need to get more quality in because despite his best efforts that's unfortunately what he lacks imo

Elephant Stone
20-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm making the point that stevensons performances this season are being overstated, he's been full of industry but no more and he's not been mom the last few weeks like people are suggesting.

I had this debate on the pm board but what type of midfielder has he been? A box to box player? Offers no threat going forward so he's not that, playmaker? We've been missing one if them since boozy....defensive midfielder? Again we've been moaning all season that the midfield doesn't offer any protection.

Other than energy and enthusiasm I just don't see what he brings to the table

A couple of months ago I'd have agreed with you but I'm seeing so much more now than I used to in his play. Whether the run in the team has allowed him to develop or I was just determined not to see it before I'm not sure. His first touch is pretty much impeccable and you can rely on him to find a Hibs player with a pass 99% of the time. He was let down badly by Osbourne yesterday, he was the only midfielder supporting the strikers, the three of them together couldn't do anything effective against their defence, we need more midfielders bombing forward, not just Stevenson. When the midfielders around him start putting in anywhere near as much work as he does and start to retain possession like he does we'll be in much better shape.

Eyrie
20-02-2012, 08:48 PM
The time to start complaining about Stevenson is when he's one of our worst performing players. Criticising one of the few guys who's played to a consistently decent standard this season is ridiculous.

TornadoHibby
20-02-2012, 09:46 PM

I heard that Lewis is keen to stay at Hibs so can only assume that's why nothing to the contrary has been posted and why he's just getting on with giving his best to help the team avoid dropping to the 1st Division! :wink:

I think he has shown that he deserves a new deal too btw and, as I've said earlier in the thread, if others gave the 100% effort, will to win and skill that he does every game then we wouldn't be in the position that we find ourselves currently!:confused:

Future17
20-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Why?

Might have made enquiries to his agent. Hopefully he's already been told by Hibs that a new deal will be offered but we'll have to see what Division we're playing in before the terms can be laid out. :pray:

bigwheel
20-02-2012, 10:02 PM
The time to start complaining about Stevenson is when he's one of our worst performing players. Criticising one of the few guys who's played to a consistently decent standard this season is ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more....we seem to have a group of fans working hard to explain why he's not that good...rather than simply recognising that he is one of the few who have rolled up their sleeves and are doing their best to get us out of the situation we are in. Good on you Lewis - keep on playing well !

jon paul jones
21-02-2012, 09:53 PM
only positives are (1) it finished at 5 (2) we don't have to play them again

We are both in the Scottish cup QFs so we can only rest easy the league goal difference isnt bruised. Football is a funny weird nonsensical game and theres always a 5% chance that the next game could be 1-0 to the Cabbage.:idea:

woody47
21-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I am always amused at the statement 'he's not Hibs class!'. Can someone enlighten me in what is deemed as 'Hibs class'.
I sometimes wonder if the people on here who slate some of the players have ever actually watched or played the game. The fact that he has been playing his heart out (and with some amount of skill) for months now seems to be lost to them. I also remember someone a couple of months back on here, after LS had played yet another good game, making the comment that 'well that's his 4 good games this season, he'll be back to his normal dross again! How many games has he played well now?
Will be interesting to see who will be in the running for player of the year. Not too many to pick from is there?
For me, I really hope LS gets a new contract and just ignores all these negative comments about his 'ability' and not being Hibs class :bitchy:

HibbyAndy
21-02-2012, 10:15 PM
I am always amused at the statement 'he's not Hibs class!'. Can someone enlighten me in what is deemed as 'Hibs class'.
I sometimes wonder if the people on here who slate some of the players have ever actually watched or played the game. The fact that he has been playing his heart out (and with some amount of skill) for months now seems to be lost to them. I also remember someone a couple of months back on here, after LS had played yet another good game, making the comment that 'well that's his 4 good games this season, he'll be back to his normal dross again! How many games has he played well now?
Will be interesting to see who will be in the running for player of the year. Not too many to pick from is there?
For me, I really hope LS gets a new contract and just ignores all these negative comments about his 'ability' and not being Hibs class :bitchy:

Great post.

Sumner
21-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Great grafter for the cause - keep up the good work Lewis :agree:

leither17
21-02-2012, 10:39 PM

In a couple of years we could be in div1 trying to get out oif it still a lot of the squad should look to lewis and try and give as much as he has this season then maybe we wouldn't be so bad

nonshinyfinish
21-02-2012, 10:55 PM
This thread was much better in the first couple of pages when there was loads of stuff about Hula Hoops.

GreenCastle
21-02-2012, 11:11 PM

So true!

Rankin seems to be playing every week with Utd and they are higher than us in the league. Not saying they are SPL top players but still doing a job and until better is coming in - Stevenson has been one of Fenlons 1st name on the team sheet every week.

Always gives everything - as a fan it's the minimum you expect :agree:

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2012, 12:25 AM

TornadoHibby
22-02-2012, 06:41 AM

What he said!!