PDA

View Full Version : In all my life as a Hibs supporter

beensaidbefore
19-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I can only remember, or at least think of 4 1/2 decent goalies weve had in 25+ years as a Hibby. Goram, Leighton, Colgan, Andersson, and Buridge was ok half the time...why cant we seem to get it right?

Stack today was more concerned with shoving players, than watching the ball for the first goal. And how can he nnot do better at the 3rd/4th, positioning and ability to judge the flight of the ball severely suspect imo. I was all for him being 1st choice, but not after this performance. He struggles at every cross.

CraigK
19-02-2012, 09:54 PM
There was almost 15 years when we had good keepers through the Rough, Goram, Burridge, Leighton years. It seems to have been a more recent phenomenon that they've been rubbish.
When i was growing up i idolised all of the above. Apart from the ones above, we've probably not had more than five other keepers?

I do think that because we went through the absolute low of Simon Brown and Malkowski our more recent keepers (i.e. Mark Brown and Stack) are actually held to higher standards than they might be if they played for another SPL club. If that makes sense? Any mistakes seem to have more importance applied to them.

Smith is another weird one. He was really good at Motherwell and thenjust gash when he came to us (although i thought he was decent for his first few games, even if he failed to keep a clean sheet).

greenlad
19-02-2012, 10:45 PM
There was almost 15 years when we had good keepers through the Rough, Goram, Burridge, Leighton years. It seems to have been a more recent phenomenon that they've been rubbish.
When i was growing up i idolised all of the above. Apart from the ones above, we've probably not had more than five other keepers?

was born in 1979 so basically right the way right through my Hibs supporting childhood we always had someone decent in goal. In my youthful naivety I didn't actually realise you GOT bad goalkeepers (or if there were any they certainly wouldn't end up at Hibs as we only signed good ones) , I genuinely thought that as goalkeepers were a rarer species - only ever 1 in a team rather than 4 defender 4 midfielders, 2 forwards etc- this naturally meant that only the good ones made it to the top.

The onset of adulthood in 1997 coincided with the departure of Jim Leighton and the arrival of Ollie Gottskalksson which is where the tide really turned. Although to be fair I remember Nick Colgan taking some abuse although his main crime was being a bit dodgy at crosses and not as good as those you named. If he played now he'd be considered Peter Shilton-esque compared with the current incumbents.

As I recall Colgan lost his place to Tony Caig who at the time was poor but then he bogged off to Newcastle anyway so Daniel Andersson was brought in as backup. He actually turned out pretty decent but Mowbray erred in not re-signing him and asking him to go on trial so he could decide if he wanted him or Simon Brown!! We all know how that turned out - numerous errors and ushering the ball in against Hearts at Tynecastle.

By this time everyone was aware that Hibs had a "dodgy keeper problem" and this was exacerbated by Mowbray bringing Malkowski in. Everyone knows how THAT panned out - a new contract for Zibby despite being dodgier that a Jammy thing from Brooklyn!!

On arrival John Collins then very quickly realised both the above weren't up to it and started playing young Andrew McNeill who actually had some good goalkeeping skills, the problem being he hadn't grown since leaving primary school. To compensate for McNeill's lack of height Collins brought in Makalambay who obtained cult hero status despite being about 7ft5 and unable to command his box.

IIRC Mixu more or less persevered with Maka but did well in bringing in Gregorz Szamatulski, easily the best we've had since Andersson. He had a dodgy knee however so wasn't offered new terms and then Yogi arrived which eventually led to the extremely bizarre era of the Stack/Brown/Smith threesome - three players, three wages, but not one goalkeeper between them.

Three is now down to two but its difficult to see how this is fixed in this era of loans & short-term contracts.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Maka only been mentioned as a token gesture so far! where is he now? anybody? I remember reading on here how good an EPL keeper he would be, not sure what happened there.