PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon must be given time

jimmy-adjovi
19-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Heard a lot of criticism at the game directed at PF and can see some more coming through on threads here. I find this incredible. He must be given time to build a team and at least a full season. Continuity is the way forward. The team was assembled within a restricted time and budget this window. The team he has put together is to pick up points in the most important games against the teams around us. We will only see the making of PF over the course of a full season.

fatbloke
19-02-2012, 09:05 PM
How about a 5-10 stretch for impersonating a football manager. No just kidding, needs time but also needs supposed footballers to master the very very basics of the beautiful game.

Wembley67
19-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Of course he needs time, a lot of muppets on this board don't see that though. Yup, muppets.

EasterRoad4Ever
19-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting we replace Fenlon. We all know what he inherited from the worst manger in Hibernian's history (bar Duffy). Realistically, we were never going to beat Celtic today and the key games will be against the DAFC and ICTs of this world.

Scouse Hibee
19-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Heard a lot of criticism at the game directed at PF and can see some more coming through on threads here. I find this incredible. He must be given time to build a team and at least a full season. Continuity is the way forward. The team was assembled within a restricted time and budget this window. The team he has put together is to pick up points in the most important games against the teams around us. We will only see the making of PF over the course of a full season.

It's the way of football fans everywhere not just at Hibs so nothing incredible about it. PF hopefully will prove them wrong.

hibee92
19-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting we replace Fenlon. We all know what he inherited from the worst manger in Hibernian's history (bar Duffy). Realistically, we were never going to beat Celtic today and the key games will be against the DAFC and ICTs of this world.

That's the main point. I've not heard anyone question Paddy as our gaffer yet but if anyone is then the really need to get a grip. :agree:

marleyhib
19-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Bad day at the office for PF today, but to be honest we can't measure ourselves against Celtic who are confident and a class above us.

We looked better against Killie and Aberdeen in the last 2 games and I expected better today.

Really disappointed but I have seen enough to believe Pat has brought in players that can keep us in the league, given time I am sure he can get us back to being a top 6 team and challenging for third spot.

We need to put today behind us and get behind the team on Wednesday, every point we scrape could be the point that keeps us up we need to get behind Pat 100%.

edinburghhibs
19-02-2012, 09:27 PM
I agree that we have no choice now but to give Fenlon time, but so far, not so good. We hear this all the time in football. If only Mixu had been given more time. Hughes needed more time. There's some that said that Calderwood needed more time. (Chic Charnley was in the Daily Record a few weeks back saying that if only Jim Duffy had been given more time...god forbid!). The question I ask is: How much time is Fenlon to be given? Til the end of the season, next season? How much time do you need? At least under McLeish and Mowbray, we saw something early doors to make you feel that they'd turn things around (remember us beating the yams 2-1 -Kevin Harpers Goal - in 1998. Can you see lot doing that)?

Sir David Gray
19-02-2012, 09:34 PM
He needs 2 years.

I've said it all along and it's true.

Apart from anything else, we can't compare ourselves against Celtic. Yes it was a shocking result today but they are the best team in the league by a mile and haven't dropped a single point in the league for four months.

We need to just forget about today and try to reorganise ourselves for Fir Park on Wednesday night. That'll be a very tough game in itself but it should at least be a slightly more level playing field.

The worst thing we could do right now is to question the position of Fenlon as manager. We need to give him the support he needs to try and ensure that we stay up this season.

jimmy-adjovi
19-02-2012, 10:11 PM
I agree that we have no choice now but to give Fenlon time, but so far, not so good. We hear this all the time in football. If only Mixu had been given more time. Hughes needed more time. There's some that said that Calderwood needed more time. (Chic Charnley was in the Daily Record a few weeks back saying that if only Jim Duffy had been given more time...god forbid!). The question I ask is: How much time is Fenlon to be given? Til the end of the season, next season? How much time do you need? At least under McLeish and Mowbray, we saw something early doors to make you feel that they'd turn things around (remember us beating the yams 2-1 -Kevin Harpers Goal - in 1998. Can you see lot doing that)?

The problem is the team is made up laregly of players who have barely played first team matches for their previous clubs. Mcleish had a team that had been there all season. The players we have now look as though they need games to prove how good they are. Doherty never even played for bohemians and I thought looked intimidated today. Unfortunately this is probably the most difficult situation for a young player coming in looking to play games and express themselves

BoltonHibee
19-02-2012, 10:14 PM
To be fair, I think some of the performances and results under Fenlon have been worse than those under Collins, Hughes and Calderwood.

1st half today I thought we still were in with a shout, but hey Ho....

The_Horde
19-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Fenlon's job this season is to keep us up. His real task starts in the summer and he should be given 2 full seasons, even if we do go down.

matty_f
19-02-2012, 10:29 PM
He needs 2 years.

I've said it all along and it's true.

Apart from anything else, we can't compare ourselves against Celtic. Yes it was a shocking result today but they are the best team in the league by a mile and haven't dropped a single point in the league for four months.

We need to just forget about today and try to reorganise ourselves for Fir Park on Wednesday night. That'll be a very tough game in itself but it should at least be a slightly more level playing field.

The worst thing we could do right now is to question the position of Fenlon as manager. We need to give him the support he needs to try and ensure that we stay up this season.
:agree:

LALthehibeeGAL
19-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Bad day at the office for PF today, but to be honest we can't measure ourselves against Celtic who are confident and a class above us.We looked better against Killie and Aberdeen in the last 2 games and I expected better today.

Really disappointed but I have seen enough to believe Pat has brought in players that can keep us in the league, given time I am sure he can get us back to being a top 6 team and challenging for third spot.

We need to put today behind us and get behind the team on Wednesday, every point we scrape could be the point that keeps us up we need to get behind Pat 100%.

:agree:

let's put it behind us and concentrate on Motherwell now - I believe we will not be the only ones to see the sellic put 5 past us!!!

Gie the guy a break eh!!! - it was clear the gulf between the two teams today - but if the likes of St Midden; etc start putting 5 past us then I might have something to say -

:pfgwa

Lal:wink:

essexhibee
19-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Was a gutting result seen as we seemed to have improved with the new signings, really thought we may have been able to give Celtic a good go today but hey ho. Still think paddy is the man to lead us out of this mess but we need to pick up points fast. If we lose and dunfy get a shock win then all of a sudden we are adrift at the foot of the table something which is not an option. We can't keep relying on them loosing cause one day they wont.

Easter Road X1
19-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Fenlon will turn things around but needs time, a big week ahead for him this week.:flag:

MrSmith
20-02-2012, 08:09 AM
I wonder why anyone would give him less??

Pat is the man for me and yesterday was a simple blimp on the radar! Celtic were always going to win! We looked good in patches, movement on and off the ball was much better, fitness looks miles better and there looked to be more guts and determination in there.

I have seen this happen to Hibs before - don't ask me when though! - couple of ok games with a new team, a sore loss then we begin to gel and lift off from there. I can't wait for the next match.

mon the hibees! And give Pat a five year contract!

Jim44
20-02-2012, 08:46 AM
;3121813']Fenlon's job this season is to keep us up. His real task starts in the summer and he should be given 2 full seasons, even if we do go down.

Devil's advocate here. Two years down the line could see us well entrenched in our second year in the first division. What then? Possibly an unlikely scenario but not an impossibility. Would Fenlon be replaced if he failed to take us straight back up even if it was only one and a half years into the suggested two full seasons. Personally I think we'll stay up by the skin of our teeth by the way.

JimBHibees
20-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Didnt hear any towards the manager where I was, I think you are making that up for what reason I dont know. :vladsheep: :greengrin

Spike Mandela
20-02-2012, 09:36 AM
PF is still learning the SPL and it is a steep learning curve. His last two OF games have been harsh lessons, for him and us, hopefully a lesson he takes on board before Tynecastle next month.

Expecting Rain
20-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Bad day at the office for PF today, but to be honest we can't measure ourselves against Celtic who are confident and a class above us.

We looked better against Killie and Aberdeen in the last 2 games and I expected better today.

Agree with this post, Fenlon has brought in players that will give us a better chance in other fixtures. In my opinion the much criticised O`Connor should start every game we have no other physical type in our squad, Doyle for me is a last 20 minutes player when the game has been slowed down and his energy might give the team a boost. We also need a better balance wide left, Stevenson gave his all yesterday but i`d rather see Kunjabi or Booth in that particular position.

hibs0666
20-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Devil's advocate here. Two years down the line could see us well entrenched in our second year in the first division. What then? Possibly an unlikely scenario but not an impossibility. Would Fenlon be replaced if he failed to take us straight back up even if it was only one and a half years into the suggested two full seasons. Personally I think we'll stay up by the skin of our teeth by the way.

There's lots of research out there indicating that groups never listen to devil's advocates. A much more effective approach is to state your principles and argue your case.

Golden Bear
20-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Agree with this post, Fenlon has brought in players that will give us a better chance in other fixtures. In my opinion the much criticised O`Connor should start every game we have no other physical type in our squad, Doyle for me is a last 20 minutes player when the game has been slowed down and his energy might give the team a boost. We also need a better balance wide left, Stevenson gave his all yesterday but i`d rather see Kunjabi or Booth in that particular position.

Booth is injured and in any case there is no evidence to suggest that he could play in a more attacking role and certainly not at the expense of Lewis Stevenson.

jimmy-adjovi
20-02-2012, 10:17 AM

Absolutely O'Connor should start. Think fenlon was tryinh to get a reaction by dropping him as his performances have been sub standard of late. When on form there is no other player in the hibs team anywhere near his ability

Expecting Rain
20-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Booth is injured and in any case there is no evidence to suggest that he could play in a more attacking role and certainly not at the expense of Lewis Stevenson.

When Booth is fit. He looks more comfortable and composed going forward and has scored a few goals. I`m neither a fan or critic of Stevenson i think he tries to be the best he can be and deserves admiration for his attitude but for me he is not a wide left midfielder who is going to create or score goals.

The Sea-gull
20-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Of course he needs time but we can't put blind faith in him if we don't see progress after a while so the "give him two years chat" is meaningless.

His remit when he got the job would have been first and foremost to keep us in the SPL. We have now more than passed the point where anything other than this will happen this season in the league (the cup of course remains an interest but should really be looked upon as a bonus rather than a realistic opportunity).

If we stay up and this time next year we are, at a minimum, in the top half of the bottom six pushing for top 6 or indeed in the top 6 itself then he stays. If we are joint bottom again then surely we don't just keep him coz he hasn't had his two years.

If we go down this season, does he get a chance to bring us back up? We weren't destined for division 1 when he got the job despite how bad we were, there was a lot of football still to be played. He has not, as yet stemmed the tide and has been given the resource to change the squad. It will take a few weeks to click in but if it does not click on time and we do go down - who is to blame for our relegation? CC or PF? I'd say given we were not adrift when he took over and he had time to sort it and was given funds to do so, then it would have to be PF. The burning queston then will be, does he deserve the chance to stay on for the first division campaign?

jimmy-adjovi
20-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Of course he needs time but we can't put blind faith in him if we don't see progress after a while so the "give him two years chat" is meaningless.

His remit when he got the job would have been first and foremost to keep us in the SPL. We have now more than passed the point where anything other than this will happen this season in the league (the cup of course remains an interest but should really be looked upon as a bonus rather than a realistic opportunity).

If we stay up and this time next year we are, at a minimum, in the top half of the bottom six pushing for top 6 or indeed in the top 6 itself then he stays. If we are joint bottom again then surely we don't just keep him coz he hasn't had his two years.

If we go down this season, does he get a chance to bring us back up? We weren't destined for division 1 when he got the job despite how bad we were, there was a lot of football still to be played. He has not, as yet stemmed the tide and has been given the resource to change the squad. It will take a few weeks to click in but if it does not click on time and we do go down - who is to blame for our relegation? CC or PF? I'd say given we were not adrift when he took over and he had time to sort it and was given funds to do so, then it would have to be PF. The burning queston then will be, does he deserve the chance to stay on for the first division campaign?

You're putting unnecessary pressure on pf there. I firmly believe we will stay up

Squealing pig
20-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Of course he needs time, a lot of muppets on this board don't see that though. Yup, muppets.

Board gave calderwood too much time hopefully they don't do same with fenlon if results stay shocking. Jimmy calderwood doesn't seem too bad a choice of manager nowadays. Last sheep manager to get them into top 6.

jimmy-adjovi
20-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Board gave calderwood too much time hopefully they don't do same with fenlon if results stay shocking. Jimmy calderwood doesn't seem too bad a choice of manager nowadays. Last sheep manager to get them into top 6.

Have any lessons not been learned? We can't keep sacking managers. No matter how bad results get we need to stick by fenlon. Letting mixu go was probably the biggest mistake we made. Look where he is now. As for jimmy calderwood you're having a laugh

Squealing pig
20-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Have any lessons not been learned? We can't keep sacking managers. No matter how bad results get we need to stick by fenlon. Letting mixu go was probably the biggest mistake we made. Look where he is now. As for jimmy calderwood you're having a laugh

Proven spl manager, not a laugh something we've never had a proven manager who can work in spl not any tom dick or harry who has pulled on famous green jersey or some pub team manager like fenlon

iain nolan
20-02-2012, 11:03 AM
pat fenlon is a winner . hes won leagues and cups in irish league so he knows how to win .
Sir Alex won leagues and cups with Aberdeen and i bet the man utd fans said that the spl was a micky mouse league just like we saying about Irish league. The point am making is only a few managers become winners and stay winners not many managers can build and rebuild a team . Martin O,Neill seems to be one off they managers , sir Alex an other, and walter smith done it at rangers .
look at ARSENE WENGER never won anything in SEVEN years dont see his BOARD of FANS wanting him SACKED . whats REDKNAPP WON .
REMEMBER Pat Fenlon didt have to take the hibs job like sir alex he was a WINNER in his home country
and could have got the pick off any jobs in any off there leagues . But both wanted to prove they be WINNERS in a higher league . I love it for PAT to win us SCOTTISH CUP and push celtic for leagues in a few years but it going to take time guys .
IF he keeps us up he will have WON his first challange as HIBERNIAN manager:flag:

jimmy-adjovi
20-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Proven spl manager, not a laugh something we've never had a proven manager who can work in spl not any tom dick or harry who has pulled on famous green jersey or some pub team manager like fenlon

Very funny

MrSmith
20-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Really! I think that is a bit harsh and over the top.

marinello59
20-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Speculating on who our next manager should be when this one is barely in the door? Geezus.:rolleyes:

MrSmith
20-02-2012, 11:39 AM
pat fenlon is a winner . hes won leagues and cups in irish league so he knows how to win .
Sir Alex won leagues and cups with Aberdeen and i bet the man utd fans said that the spl was a micky mouse league just like we saying about Irish league. The point am making is only a few managers become winners and stay winners not many managers can build and rebuild a team . Martin O,Neill seems to be one off they managers , sir Alex an other, and walter smith done it at rangers .
look at ARSENE WENGER never won anything in SEVEN years dont see his BOARD of FANS wanting him SACKED . whats REDKNAPP WON .
REMEMBER Pat Fenlon didt have to take the hibs job like sir alex he was a WINNER in his home country
and could have got the pick off any jobs in any off there leagues . But both wanted to prove they be WINNERS in a higher league . I love it for PAT to win us SCOTTISH CUP and push celtic for leagues in a few years but it going to take time guys .
IF he keeps us up he will have WON his first challange as HIBERNIAN manager:flag:

wot he says! :aok:

Squealing pig
20-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Really! I think that is a bit harsh and over the top.

Harsh?? Why no just get a winning manager from juniors that's all Irish fitbaw is.

marinello59
20-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Harsh?? Why no just get a winning manager from juniors that's all Irish fitbaw is.

Not many Junior teams appearing in European competition are there? How much Irish football have you watched? At least try and provide some structured argument rather than random comments designed to get a reaction.

Squealing pig
20-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I want to see a proven spl manager in charge is that so hard to understand and actually boness united were in Europe when the won the old first division in the 50's.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2012, 02:56 PM
I want to see a proven spl manager in charge is that so hard to understand and actually boness united were in Europe when the won the old first division in the 50's.

:faf:

marinello59
20-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Here was me thinking you were being serious and all along you were building towards the punch line. You got me, I admit it. :greengrin

JimBHibees
20-02-2012, 03:05 PM

In saying that being from Bo'ness a game in Linlithgow probably constitues a European game. :greengrin

MSK
20-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Harsh?? Why no just get a winning manager from juniors that's all Irish fitbaw is.Kenny Shiels isnt doing too bad ..cannae believe he turned down Newtongrange Star for Killie ...wot was he thinking aboot man !!!! :panic:

Scouse Hibee
20-02-2012, 06:49 PM

Comedy Genius............of all the answers you could have given you came up with this absolute gem!! :faf:

erin go bragh
20-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Away back to broke back :kbacker: lyf .
ggtth

Fergos
20-02-2012, 07:30 PM

What a load of crap....what junior league send players to the englander premiership........and yer subsequent posts back up the theory of your "unique and insightful understanding" of our club and manager....back him until it's clear that he's failed in his first and most important task....keeping Hibernian in the spl......

Eyrie
20-02-2012, 07:43 PM
So you'd prefer the same old retreads who can't hold down a job at another SPL team to a proven winner looking to make the step up from a lower level. All I can say to that is ....

Famous5forever
20-02-2012, 10:07 PM
So you'd prefer the same old retreads who can't hold down a job at another SPL team to a proven winner looking to make the step up from a lower level. All I can say to that is ....

We have to give Paddy Time to sort this out be patient:pfgwa