PDA

View Full Version : Sign of the times

S.sct
19-02-2012, 09:17 PM
ER was a strange and sad place to be today. A big bullish pished up Celtic support and a relitively decent Celtic team came into town and totally took over both on and off the pitch. I know things haven't exactly been buzzin for us lately but can't remember them or anyone else getting away with that (both on and off the pitch)in the past. Bring back the old East........

NAE NOOKIE
19-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Check out any of my posts regarding the singing section since it started and I have defended them to the hilt when they have been criticised for what I see as a genuine attempt to bring vocal support to the team.

But today the were totally pathetic and barely raised a peep after Hibs went two down, though the cant be blamed totally, because the attempts by a few guys I witnessed in the middle of the East to get folk singing were met by total bloody apathy.

I dont understand how you can care about a team enough to pay £400 for a season ticket or £28 for a walk up ticket and then spend 90 minutes sitting on yer bloody hands.

Northernhibee
19-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I've been questioning myself as to why I love my club as of late, Hibs have always been my first love and it's a huge part of who I am, I had an ex give me the option of her or Hibs after she organised a house party on the same day as a certain Sc*ttish C*p game against D***ermline when I had a ticket in hand and intended to go to the game instead. I picked Hibs, and I've still not stopped despairing at that result. I was punching way above my weight on that one too.

I've seen relegation, I've seen silverware, I've seen Sauzee and I've seen O'Brien. Unquestioned love through it all.

As of late though, something has been missing both on and off the pitch. Under Yogi and CC the team looked utterly disinterested and the atmosphere has been poisonous. We perform better away from home because it's less intimadating for a Hibs team to play in front of opposition fans as opposed to Hibernian 'fans'.

I think the turning point was the last game of last season, Eddie Turnbull's memorial game. We as a club owe so, so much to Ned and yet we still had thousands of empty seats when tickets were £10 or £5. If you claim to be a Hibee and didn't attend without a good reason, you should be ashamed of yourself. When we conceded the third, everyone flooded for the exits. That game wasn't about the result, it was about paying tribute to one of the greats of our club and if we couldn't show what makes us Hibernian on the pitch on a day to remember Ned, we should have shown what makes us Hibs in the stands. If you left early without good reason that day, again, you should be ashamed.

We have far, far too many fairweather fans. I've gotten my first job ever where I don't work shifts so I have weekends free to get a season ticket next year, and yet I don't know why even after questioning my love for the club. The atmosphere in ER is terrible, the results aren't coming our way and if I get the Megabus down from Aberdeen I have more than six hours of a round journey.

I just wish we'd have more people like the singing section and S43 whose intention are to create noise and a spectacle. If we can't be true to Hibs on the pitch, at least let's be true to Hibs off it.

GGTTH

jon paul jones
20-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Check out any of my posts regarding the singing section since it started and I have defended them to the hilt when they have been criticised for what I see as a genuine attempt to bring vocal support to the team.

But today the were totally pathetic and barely raised a peep after Hibs went two down, though the cant be blamed totally, because the attempts by a few guys I witnessed in the middle of the East to get folk singing were met by total bloody apathy.

I dont understand how you can care about a team enough to pay £400 for a season ticket or £28 for a walk up ticket and then spend 90 minutes sitting on yer bloody hands.

Thanks for the support and honesty bovril. I'll speak only for myself to say that i historically have always stood in Old/new East at the 25 yard mark towards the away end so this is home to me. Forgive my honesty at a time when we are all hurting from a carcrash of a result but standing at the back of the stand today was roughly 60-80 fans singing off/on and mostly kids under 25 give or take a few of us older ones :wink:

My point is that nothing will change until the fans around the rest of the stadium grow a pair of hands and make some noise. A fans initiative such as the 12th man is now only marketing at best and the mindset of many fans I believe has to change for us to create a genuine atmosphere at ER that visiting teams find intimidating and motivates the home team by 10-20% to change a loss/dodgy draw to a home win. By mindset, I mean I support positively to improve performance not wait for a good performance on the park then start supporting.

I don't know if I'm more disillusioned by the teams performance or how we support as a group today. Still stayed to the end like a trooper :flag:

FastEddieFelson
20-02-2012, 09:56 AM
ER was a strange and sad place to be today. A big bullish pished up Celtic support and a relitively decent Celtic team came into town and totally took over both on and off the pitch. I know things haven't exactly been buzzin for us lately but can't remember them or anyone else getting away with that (both on and off the pitch)in the past. Bring back the old East........

yep. we should never have built the new stand.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-02-2012, 10:18 AM
This...

The lack of anything that is atmosphere has been obvious for a long time at ER and with the ridiculous "sin bin" post earlier on this week it looks like its going to be a long time before we can get the bouncy going again, of course we won't be allowed to do that or sing as the stewards won't allow it on "safety" issues.

Knock down the new east and rebuild lower with a safe standing section I'd say to get any chance of actually feeling like your at a football match.

Won't happen of course so there you have it..

Ken
20-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I've been questioning myself as to why I love my club as of late, Hibs have always been my first love and it's a huge part of who I am, I had an ex give me the option of her or Hibs after she organised a house party on the same day as a certain Sc*ttish C*p game against D***ermline when I had a ticket in hand and intended to go to the game instead. I picked Hibs, and I've still not stopped despairing at that result. I was punching way above my weight on that one too.

I've seen relegation, I've seen silverware, I've seen Sauzee and I've seen O'Brien. Unquestioned love through it all.

As of late though, something has been missing both on and off the pitch. Under Yogi and CC the team looked utterly disinterested and the atmosphere has been poisonous. We perform better away from home because it's less intimadating for a Hibs team to play in front of opposition fans as opposed to Hibernian 'fans'.

I think the turning point was the last game of last season, Eddie Turnbull's memorial game. We as a club owe so, so much to Ned and yet we still had thousands of empty seats when tickets were £10 or £5. If you claim to be a Hibee and didn't attend without a good reason, you should be ashamed of yourself. When we conceded the third, everyone flooded for the exits. That game wasn't about the result, it was about paying tribute to one of the greats of our club and if we couldn't show what makes us Hibernian on the pitch on a day to remember Ned, we should have shown what makes us Hibs in the stands. If you left early without good reason that day, again, you should be ashamed.

We have far, far too many fairweather fans. I've gotten my first job ever where I don't work shifts so I have weekends free to get a season ticket next year, and yet I don't know why even after questioning my love for the club. The atmosphere in ER is terrible, the results aren't coming our way and if I get the Megabus down from Aberdeen I have more than six hours of a round journey.

I just wish we'd have more people like the singing section and S43 whose intention are to create noise and a spectacle. If we can't be true to Hibs on the pitch, at least let's be true to Hibs off it.

GGTTH

I don't get your point to be honest? Firstly you said you picked Hibs over your ex and you've still not stopped dispairing over it....then you go on to say that people should be ashamed for not attending Turnbull's tribute game.

P.s. are you getting a season ticket next season? :confused:

RIP
20-02-2012, 01:40 PM
The lack of anything that is atmosphere has been obvious for a long time at ER

You clearly missed the Killie and Aberdeen games. we had 3 stands bouncing for both

and with the ridiculous "sin bin" post earlier on this week it looks like its going to be a long time before we can get the bouncy going again

So some not so sober Hibby comes up with a daft suggestion and folk rightfully rip the pish oot the idea. However you see that post as somehow marking the end of the Hibees Bounce? :faf:

Of course we won't be allowed to do that or sing as the stewards won't allow it on "safety" issues. Knock down the new east and rebuild lower with a safe standing section I'd say to get any chance of actually feeling like your at a football match.

Nowt to do with Stewards mate. Hibs management are happy with folk standing. All the away end were standing and 500 were standing in the East. Were you one of our 500?

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2012, 01:46 PM
You clearly missed the Killie and Aberdeen games. we had 3 stands bouncing for both

No we didn't, :confused: i like what the section is trying to do as much as the next man, but there was not even 1 stand bouncing.

I hope what you are trying to do gets bigger and bigger, but i just dont see it happening in the east.

RIP
20-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the support and honesty bovril. I'll speak only for myself to say that i historically have always stood in Old/new East at the 25 yard mark towards the away end so this is home to me. Forgive my honesty at a time when we are all hurting from a carcrash of a result but standing at the back of the stand today was roughly 60-80 fans singing off/on and mostly kids under 25 give or take a few of us older ones :wink:

My point is that nothing will change until the fans around the rest of the stadium grow a pair of hands and make some noise. A fans initiative such as the 12th man is now only marketing at best and the mindset of many fans I believe has to change for us to create a genuine atmosphere at ER that visiting teams find intimidating and motivates the home team by 10-20% to change a loss/dodgy draw to a home win. By mindset, I mean I support positively to improve performance not wait for a good performance on the park then start supporting.

I don't know if I'm more disillusioned by the teams performance or how we support as a group today. Still stayed to the end like a trooper :flag:

Don't worry JPJ - you are too young to remember getting cuffed 5-0, 6-1, 6-2 etc by the 'tic in the 70's. The feeling of getting gubbed always kills off the appetite to sing. Most of the laddies are young. Our singing was terrific against the Dons - the players and Pat Fenlon have all commented positively on the difference in the atmosphere

Given our league position and home form we need to be realistic about our expectations against the runaway league toppers - on and off the pitch

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Don't worry JPJ - you are too young to remember getting cuffed 5-0, 9-0, 6-1, 6-2 etc by the 'tic in the 70's. The feeling of getting gubbed always kills off the appetite to sing. Most of the laddies are young. Our singing was terrific against the Dons - the players and Pat Fenlon have all commented positively on the difference in the atmosphere

Given our league position and home form we need to be realistic about our expectations against the runaway league toppers - on and off the pitch

:confused:

Andy74
20-02-2012, 02:07 PM
No we didn't, :confused: i like what the section is trying to do as much as the next man, but there was not even 1 stand bouncing.

I hope what you are trying to do gets bigger and bigger, but i just dont see it happening in the east.

I sit in the East just to the FF side and haven't heard a peep from the sining section all season so if there's any noise made its not getting far.

I do hear anything from the away end though, even if there's only a few of them so it can't be the distance.

Singing has always been a young man's game in terms of standing there for a whole game and getting it going. There's no danger it'll spread to us oldies until people get excited about what's on the pitch.

I don't think we should beat ourselves up about it. We should stay positive but we won't have the place bouncing until the team start producing something.

I do recall last February that the Calderwood's green and white army chant spread right across the stand and lasted for a long time. It's a pity he knocked that out of us.

Cabbage East
20-02-2012, 02:16 PM
The problem is, everybody knew that the place to be in the old east was under the tv gantry and nearby. It was full of the hardcore support and a lot of the older hibs boys, it was always noisy and the atmosphere spread from there. Now you have no real area where these people go, we are spread throughout the stand and as such there is no specific area where the songs can start from. You have an 'official' singing section (this is a cringy concept, no spontaniety, sanctioned/artificial atmosphere) and you have section 43. No disrespect to these lads because i'm sure they go to a lot of trouble and effort but in the main they're just kids wearing grey joggers and singing shan songs that no-one else wants to get involved with. I think the atmosphere could be and has been good in some of the big games but our chronic lack of form for the last 2 years has played a big part in the pish atmosphere of late.

Gettin' Auld
20-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Don't worry JPJ - you are too young to remember getting cuffed 5-0, 9-0, 6-1, 6-2 etc by the 'tic in the 70's.

Maybe i'm suffering from dementia in my old age, but i'm ****** if i can remember us ever being beaten 9:0 by celtic in the 1970's.

RIP
20-02-2012, 03:04 PM

The last ten minutes were the loudest roars I'd heard at ER for years. West, East (not just Singing Section) and FF were all singing and roaring. The old East was like a graveyard during Mixu's and Yogi's tenure

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2012, 03:15 PM
The last ten minutes were the loudest roars I'd heard at ER for years. West, East (not just Singing Section) and FF were all singing and roaring. The old East was like a graveyard during Mixu's and Yogi's tenure

Well it appears i may sit somewhere near Andy74 gulp, and i have to agree with him, the noise may seem loud where you guys are singing, but it really does not carry very well at all. I can hear the away fans much clearer from where i am than i ever hear our lot.

The west gave us a couple of HIBEES clap clap clap, and again i never heard a peep from the FF.

To call the place bouncing is just wrong, it was better than it had been granted, but as someone who wanted a 1 tier stand, and someone who wanted it built. I have to say i do think the singing section is in the wrong place.

For some reason i find very strange, there are just too many folk who are against what you are trying to do, and moving to the FF is the only way i see this surviving.

Kato
20-02-2012, 03:47 PM
9-0,

???

RIP
20-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Nine Nil!!!!!!!??

:confused:

Maybe i'm suffering from dementia in my old age, but i'm ****** if i can remember us ever being beaten 9:0 by celtic in the 1970's.

???

Auld folk cannae type either :greengrin

As for organised singing sections - nah - no thanks. All that happened was we wanted the club to tell folk where to stand if they wanted to sing with like-minded souls. That was because we were losing the focal point of the gantry. We chose Section43 and all that's changed is that last season the singing improved over the auld East and this season we've started visual displays that weren't viable in a shed. This season with the ***** home form and shrinking crowds it's been more of a struggle.

Hardly surprising really.

The west gave us a couple of HIBEES clap clap clap, and again i never heard a peep from the FF. I have to say i do think the singing section is in the wrong place - moving to the FF is the only way i see this surviving.

Listen to the Hibs TV highlights - the singing was constant from the East for the last 5 or 10 minutes

Been discussed Gary - the club won't have folk standing in the Family FF - it's a complete non-starter. Apart from anything else the singers love the East as it's closer to the away fans. Some of us have been singing in the East since the old (North) shed was demolished. Can't see any appetite whatever to change.

Aldo
20-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Once we get it right in the park I am sure the atmosphere will be better. As for the east... Sorry lived it there but it's time to move in. It was an embarrassment and very outdated.

I think yesterday's problem was that too many people, especially in here had their heads in the cloud thinking we were going to beat them. They gave won 17 or so in the bounce, gave by far the best squad in the SPL and will beat most teams tbh. Forget it move on.

Once we start winning or performing better we will get a better atmosphere.

S.sct
20-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Not sure I made my OP as clear as I could have. I am neither attacking the guys who are attempting to generate athmosphere at ER or (and this is where I may have misled) the current stadium. What I meant was that Celtic (team and fans) came into our patch yesterday and lorded it over us. Their supporters took over the streets (see other threads on that one), our stadium (not just in their own end) and certainly on the park. I just felt that in years gone by at least two of the three would not have happened (no I'm not talking about violence). I have recently came back to games after a relitively long time away and see a completely different place, mindset and attitude which I find sad. I even had Hibbies look at me as if I was daft when attempting to encourage the team yesterday (yes off my seat at the top of my voice with some choice language). Am I now a just football dinosaur?

California-Hibs
20-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Sorry bud, but i have to say...you're deluded! Easter Road has not been 'bouncing' for a long loooong time. Especially the West and FF (where i sit) no atmosphere atall. This singing section is as one poster says, just a bunch of kids in gray joggers who sing brutal songs. Yes i appriciate the effort and understand that there must be abit of planning that goes into it, but lets not kid ourselfs by saying silly things like ''all 3 of the stands were bouncing''. :rolleyes:

hibee_nation
20-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Not sure I made my OP as clear as I could have. I am neither attacking the guys who are attempting to generate athmosphere at ER or (and this is where I may have misled) the current stadium. What I meant was that Celtic (team and fans) came into our patch yesterday and lorded it over us. Their supporters took over the streets (see other threads on that one), our stadium (not just in their own end) and certainly on the park. I just felt that in years gone by at least two of the three would not have happened (no I'm not talking about violence). I have recently came back to games after a relitively long time away and see a completely different place, mindset and attitude which I find sad. I even had Hibbies look at me as if I was daft when attempting to encourage the team yesterday (yes off my seat at the top of my voice with some choice language). Am I now a just football dinosaur?

You may think it's bad now but in the 70's the old firm would bring 20 to 30 thousand through for some games, no segregation either. Hard hats to protect your napper from flying cans of piss and bottles was the order of the day. Happy days, least we had a good team then. :flag:

S.sct
20-02-2012, 08:14 PM
You may think it's bad now but in the 70's the old firm would bring 20 to 30 thousand through for some games, no segregation either. Hard hats to protect your napper from flying cans of piss and bottles was the order of the day. Happy days, least we had a good team then. :flag:

Just a wee bit younger than you so would have just missed those days (including the good team unfortunately)

S.sct
20-02-2012, 08:19 PM
???

What about the OP Kato, fitba folk ken what I'm talkin aboot :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-02-2012, 08:38 PM
After reading the title of the thread I thought this thread was going to be a tribute to the 1987 album released by Prince featuring the all time classic "U got the look" performed with Sheena Easton.

S.sct
20-02-2012, 08:50 PM
After reading the title of the thread I thought this thread was going to be a tribute to the 1987 album released by Prince featuring the all time classic "U got the look" performed with Sheena Easton.

Oh yeah
In Glesga a skinny man
Died of a big disease with a little name
By chance his girlfriend came across a needle
And soon she did the same
At home there are seventeen-year-old boys
And their idea of fun
Is being in a gang called The Green Bragade
High on crack, totin' a hawf o buckie

Time, time

Is that the one you mean Hutchy? sorry about the edits Prince.

RIP
20-02-2012, 10:39 PM
The Huns went into administration on Tuesday. It will take a month to scrape the Celtic fans off the celing

We are bottom (equal) of the SPL

Poles apart in spirits yesterday

The last game at ER we outsung them for an hour

I'm not losing any sleep over the atmosphere yesterday - it was a complete one off

Jonnyboy
20-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I sit right next to the singing section and the guys do their best but when you're getting horsed by Celtic it's a tough gig. I keep reading about the old east and how great it was and am left wondering why the 'hard core' singers from that stand don't all arrange to buy their season tickets in an area that would allow them to resume singing/bouncing etc etc