PDA

View Full Version : The gap will never close..

one day maybe...
19-02-2012, 04:35 PM
The gap between Celtic and Rangers despite their current problem will never close IMO. Today I watched my team be utterly torn to peices by a team who had players on their bench that are probably earning more than our starting elevens total combined wage. For me now the Spl has become a bit like a ferrari and a porsche racing against a mondeo, clio, corsa, punto and yet all these cars turn up every season and trudge along behind the shiney big 2. Well for me its over, fitba is dead, Hibs will live on in my heart but the scottish game under the current set up and the rules and regulations that govern it will play no more part in my life.

brianmc
19-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Bye then:rolleyes:

iain nolan
19-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Scottish football is having to change due to the lark off investment in the game . Clubs are having to turn to youth instead off buying players and transfers could soon be a thing off the past in years to come with players getting shorter contracts , and moving on though freedom off contract. Look at the last few transfer windows in scotland and very few players was brought in at a cost to the clubs, loan deals and out off contract players are the ones moving from club to club,
look at all the clubs debts keeping your team from going burst is going to as good as winning a cup as more clubs look like joining rangers over the next few years .
so the question can hibs or anyone every the win league beside the old frim. i think yes as clubs will have to build from the youth up and i think there is other alex ferguson and jim mclean out there some where who will have a great bunch off youth players and hold on to them for a sesson to win the league i hope its a hibs manager:flag:

Part/Time Supporter
19-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Scottish football is having to change due to the lark off investment in the game . Clubs are having to turn to youth instead off buying players and transfers could soon be a thing off the past in years to come with players getting shorter contracts , and moving on though freedom off contract. Look at the last few transfer windows in scotland and very few players was brought in at a cost to the clubs, loan deals and out off contract players are the ones moving from club to club,
look at all the clubs debts keeping your team from going burst is going to as good as winning a cup as more clubs look like joining rangers over the next few years .
so the question can hibs or anyone every the win league beside the old frim. i think yes as clubs will have to build from the youth up and i think there is other alex ferguson and jim mclean out there some where who will have a great bunch off youth players and hold on to them for a sesson to win the league i hope its a hibs manager:flag:

Football doesn't work like that now with Bosman. If Hibs produced another group of good young players they would probably be sold to English clubs (most likely Championship) within 2-3 years. Whereas last time they were mainly sold to Rantic. An even more worrying development is the likes of Scott Allan and Fraser Fyvie moving / talking of moving south before they have really done anything of note in Scotland.

Matty_Jack04
19-02-2012, 05:30 PM
The gap between Celtic and Rangers despite their current problem will never close IMO. Today I watched my team be utterly torn to peices by a team who had players on their bench that are probably earning more than our starting elevens total combined wage. For me now the Spl has become a bit like a ferrari and a porsche racing against a mondeo, clio, corsa, punto and yet all these cars turn up every season and trudge along behind the shiney big 2. Well for me its over, fitba is dead, Hibs will live on in my heart but the scottish game under the current set up and the rules and regulations that govern it will play no more part in my life.

I agree Im just not seeing the point anymore I'm no jacking it just yet but depending on the outcome at the ibrox circus I may not be too far away

Gatecrasher
19-02-2012, 05:33 PM

He's right though, on a realistic scale only the OF are going to win the league for the forseeable future. Unless something drastic is done we are spending Time and Money watching our beloved club with no or little hope of glory.

iain nolan
19-02-2012, 05:54 PM
understand what your saying but english championship teams are spending to much on buying players and wages and not on the youth developent its only a matter off time one off them end up like rangers m8 something got to give at some off the championship clubs :flag:
Football doesn't work like that now with Bosman. If Hibs produced another group of good young players they would probably be sold to English clubs (most likely Championship) within 2-3 years. Whereas last time they were mainly sold to Rantic. An even more worrying development is the likes of Scott Allan and Fraser Fyvie moving / talking of moving south before they have really done anything of note in Scotland.

Billy Whizz
19-02-2012, 05:56 PM
understand what your saying but english championship teams are spending to much on buying players and wages and not on the youth developent its only a matter off time one off them end up like rangers m8 something got to give at some off the championship clubs :flag:

30% of Championships are spending 100% of turnover on wages. Something's going to happen and soon. Bristol city as an example lost £10 million last year, yes £10 million

Phil D. Rolls
19-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Is it not possible that a lot of clubs in England are living beyond their means as well, and that the bubble may burst soon. The aftermath of that is hard to predict.

Also, what would happen if all leagues were to impose a wage cap?

Alfred E Newman
19-02-2012, 06:07 PM
He's right though, on a realistic scale only the OF are going to win the league for the forseeable future. Unless something drastic is done we are spending Time and Money watching our beloved club with no or little hope of glory.

He is right. However, I looked at the Celtic bench today too and you have to ask yourself why on earth they need a squad like they have, keeping in mind the rest of the players left in the stand.
Celtic have a major problem looming and while they might be gloating about Rangers misfortune at the moment , what will happen when the boredom of no competition sinks in and novelty wears off ? The title race next season will probably over by Christmas and no doubt their huge squad of highly priced players which will obviously be far too strong for the rest of the competition up here will not be good enough for Europe as usual and they will exit the Champions League before the summer is out.
Supporters will become bored and crowds will drop and income will decrease making it difficult to justify the huge outlay on wages.
They will then start making noises about getting out of Scotland because they are being held back by the mediocrity , yet that is just not going to happen, unless they apply to join the Conference League.
In other words they are trapped in a possible nightmare situation up here that, given Rangers problems ,might last for a long time.
And they said they don`t need Rangers. You bet they do.

one day maybe...
19-02-2012, 06:19 PM
My Celtic supporting mate just said to me, Celtic had 6 free transfers and a loan player in there starting line up, why can Hibs not attract player like that. I said to him we'd love to have them but you pay 5 or 10 times the cash for a players weekly wage than we can afford. I told him they got Stokes, again IMO, the best striker in the SPL for less than a million then sold that huddy Kamara for £4 milion to Fulham off the back off it. How can Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell any of the rest of the teams compete. Yes we collectively among us, occasionally produce good young players, but as soon as any team does so, they (the OF) are all over them trying to sign them for peanuts. As I said in my original post fitba is dead in Scotland, how do we revive? can it be revived? god knows. There can be no easy solution, but the domination of the Glasgow 2 has ripped the hearts out of the supporters of other teams. Without competetion and sustained competetion at that, then we will continue to see dwindling crowds and absolute lack of interest in the Scottish game.

leither17
19-02-2012, 06:28 PM
My Celtic supporting mate just said to me, Celtic had 6 free transfers and a loan player in there starting line up, why can Hibs not attract player like that. I said to him we'd love to have them but you pay 5 or 10 times the cash for a players weekly wage than we can afford. I told him they got Stokes, again IMO, the best striker in the SPL for less than a million then sold that huddy Kamara for £4 milion to Fulham off the back off it. How can Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell any of the rest of the teams compete. Yes we collectively among us, occasionally produce good young players, but as soon as any team does so, they (the OF) are all over them trying to sign them for peanuts. As I said in my original post fitba is dead in Scotland, how do we revive? can it be revived? god knows. There can be no easy solution, but the domination of the Glasgow 2 has ripped the hearts out of the supporters of other teams. Without competetion and sustained competetion at that, then we will continue to see dwindling crowds and absolute lack of interest in the Scottish game.

Kamara was never a celtic player was only on loan to them

one day maybe...
19-02-2012, 06:32 PM

Ok fair enough, but he only scored around 8 goals for them that season and who ever got £4 million for him must have been laughing all the way to the bank. :greengrin
Just checked Celtic paid Wolves £1.5 million to take him on loan..

Cameron1875
19-02-2012, 06:37 PM
The gap can't close because they bring on players like Izziguire who is maybe on 15 k a week, Commons 10k a week and they are starting guys on 20k+ every week.

I'd love Neil Doncaster to ask the Hibs fans leaving the ground after 55 mins if we really need the Old Firm. They have both created a monopolistic market where they try and crush any company that challenges them ( in football terms through signing other teams best players). They can GTF as far as i am concerned.

Andy74
19-02-2012, 06:37 PM
My thoughts from today as well. Celtic have gone to Tynecastle and Easter Road and scored 9 without reply. What's the point of this league now?

We've improved a fair bit. We have some decent players in and there is still no contest whatsoever.

Hard to think past that today.

MCameron
19-02-2012, 06:41 PM

10 out of 10. I firmly believe the current 10 Spl non-of clubs need to make a stand for a more even playing field. Either the OF tow the line to a revised league set up (with a maximum wage and cap on the number of non-uk players allowed in a starting 11.)

If that's not signed up to they should resign their position and set up a new league inviting teams from sfl to join. I honestly believe with the chance of a closer run contest we would see crowds increase.

Kevvy1875
19-02-2012, 06:48 PM

The SPL and football in general is a joke nowadays. It's not a sport anymore. It's a money making exercise. Sporting behavior and standards are dead. The moment I finally realized what a joke football is was the Scotland v Czech game at Hampden. The result hinged on two incidents in the last few minutes. Both were dive's. The Czech's got their penalty even though Wilson never touched the boy and then Berra's pathetic attempt at a dive 1 min later was waved away. After 89 mins of football all it really came down to was who was the best at cheating. A real low point. Add this to the constant year after year OF dominance in Scotland with help from the SFA then it become's rather depressing to follow football. If you are a non-OF supporter in Scotland then you are only so through blind loyalty.....most of us can relate to that and it's not a bad thing.

I have invested time, money and emotions following Hibs but this season I am beginning to lose hope for something better than I have known as a Hibby. If the Huns manage to wriggle out of their predicament with a slap on the wrist then I think this could be last nail in the coffin personally. I am considering going to see another team in Edinburgh who are doing quite well at the moment. The Gunners....in a sport where sportsmanship still exists and you don't see players surrounding referee's and there are not a couple of teams with complete dominance over the rest and there is no sectarian bile. My two kids are Hibby's and I am thinking of all the depressing times ahead for them and think I might just do them a favor and take them to see the rugby instead.

Apologies if this offends and die-hards. I salute your optimism and will to follow the Hibs. Like the OP my heart will always be with Hibs but I'm growing tired of it all.

stuart62
19-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Personally I think a league without the OF will be more exciting and many fans will return to watch football again.
But it needs to be done properly with wage caps, less foreign players and more importantly cheaper admission.
I think we're all just bored out our minds with the same old season after season.

Beefster
19-02-2012, 07:41 PM

Ok fair enough, but he only scored around 8 goals for them that season and who ever got £4 million for him must have been laughing all the way to the bank. :greengrin
Just checked Celtic paid Wolves £1.5 million to take him on loan..

You're both taking about different players. It was Henri Camara that went to Celtic on loan from Wolves. I think leither is talking about Diomansy Kamara.

Albion Hibs
19-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Bye then.

I would however asked at what point you believed it was going to change. The fact that you discuss players on their bench making more money that our starting 11 in the sentence after noting the problems at rangers seems ironic.

Scottish football is dead because we have a pash support. say what you like the stadium today was embarrassing, too many people would rather sit at home in a dark room and foam at the mouth over the EPL, if they get something about them and come along and support their team then maybe things will change. But if anything sounds like you are off to become one of them, alas adding to the problem you highlighted.

Part/Time Supporter
19-02-2012, 07:48 PM
You're both taking about different players. It was Henri Camara that went to Celtic on loan from Wolves. I think leither is talking about Diomansy Kamara.

Who was also on loan at Celtic for a while, at the same time as Robbie Keane.

Andy74
19-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Bye then.

I would however asked at what point you believed it was going to change. The fact that you discuss players on their bench making more money that our starting 11 in the sentence after noting the problems at rangers seems ironic.

Scottish football is dead because we have a pash support. say what you like the stadium today was embarrassing, too many people would rather sit at home in a dark room and foam at the mouth over the EPL, if they get something about them and come along and support their team then maybe things will change. But if anything sounds like you are off to become one of them, alas adding to the problem you highlighted.

Daft argument. Ever wonder why so many are sat at home?

Beefster
19-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Who was also on loan at Celtic for a while, at the same time as Robbie Keane.

Yup. Which is where the confusion is arising presumably.

one day maybe...
19-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Bye then.

To be honest mate not that interested in the mega money league that is the EPL, quite like Spurs but always have done since they signed ardilles and Villa after the 78 world cup, because I loved that world cup. Oh don't get me wrong I'd love Hibs to be playing silky football week in week out, but it is just not going to happen in the foreseeable future. My point was that football in Scotland is absolutely dominated by celtic and rangers, it has become boring and menotonous. Our support will never be that of theirs and if football is going to based on the amount of fans you can get through your turnstyle then I am afraid that Hibs are goosed.

one day maybe...
19-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Cheers for that, getting my camera's mixed up :greengrin

Gerard
19-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Rangers and Celtic have dominated Scottish football for over 100 years. There are no easy answers to this problem. Both of these clubs have a massive fans base that all the other clubs do not have. Both of these clubs can afford to get better players than us and all the other teams in Scotland. Supporting a team Like Hibs is a passion and there are a lot of hard days...... The rewards are the times when we beat the OF and win silverware.
I only ask that our players give 100% when they train and play football. That they hurt when they get beat and try to do better next time. Football has been called the beautiful game. I want Hibs to play football in this way.

If I was a football player and had lost 5 goals to another team; I would want to play that team asap and restore my pride as professional player. Celtic are a very good team but any team can be beaten. I wonder if there are any Hibs players who read this website and care about Hibs. From what I have seen of Pat I think he cares about Hibs and has a good chance of restoring pride in Hibs.

Hibernia Na Eir
19-02-2012, 08:23 PM

he's spot on!

Bishop Hibee
19-02-2012, 08:26 PM
If the huns stay in the SPL next season then I will have a serious think about whether I renew my ST.

Lost_Mackem
19-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I admire the Hibs fans who turn up at Easter Road every week more than fans of clubs down here who turn up every week knowing that come the end of the season, we've no chance of winning anything.

Fans are getting fed up of the modern game, attendances are down everywhere and whilst some of that may be down to the current economic situation I think a lot of it is to do with disillusion at the money players, agents and clubs are earning.

I know as a Sunderland fan, 5 years ago I was excited because we were in the Championship and the target was to get promoted, it was exciting for me. Then we got promoted and the target was to survive in the Premier League. That target was achieved, then it was to consolidate ourselves as a mid-table club, that was exciting for a while but that target was achieved.

Now what is the next target? There isn't one... because we can never ever finish higher than 7th in the league... and that is what has ruined it for me. There is no excitement anymore, the same teams win things every year and then you have plastic Man United fans saying "I don't know why you support Sunderland, you should support us we actually win trophies." There is nothing that infuriates me more than when some twat who has set foot inside Old Trafford less than I have says that to me wearing his replica top with "Rooney" on the back.

Gone are the days when a charismatic manager like Brian Clough could take a Nottingham Forest from second division obscurity to European Champions, and that is the real tragedy.

NAE NOOKIE
19-02-2012, 08:35 PM
What happened today is as good an argument for my Scottish Football Stockholm Syndrome thread as could have been made. Things have to change or Scottish football ....... and Hibs .......... are doomed.

REVOLUTION NOW !!!

N.Wales Hibby
19-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Bye then.

I do not post much as there are more people on here who put there point over better than I could. I agree with the op what is the point as it is the same every year. The other teams only pick up the scraps. We are only here to make up the numbers, I am old enough to have watched Hibs from the seventies and am saddened by how far we and other clubs have fallen over the years. I like you will always support our team but unlike you most of us are realists . We are fodder for the old firm.....And another thing you You talk some pish

down the slope
19-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Football as we used to know it is dead, why bother anymore being the supporting act for the OF ?, until there is a fairer split of the money and a bigger league we will be on a downward spiral to oblivion so why pay good money to be part of THEIR master plan ?. Had it now for ever and a day and i don't suppose i will be the only one.

down the slope
19-02-2012, 08:40 PM
I do not post much as there are more people on here who put there point over better than I could. I agree with the op what is the point as it is the same every year. The other teams only pick up the scraps. We are only here to make up the numbers, I am old enough to have watched Hibs from the seventies and am saddened by how far we and other clubs have fallen over the years. I like you will always support our team but unlike you most of us are realists . We are fodder for the old firm.....And another thing you You talk some pish

Spot on, especially the last bit !.

IberianHibernian
19-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Clause about OF in Sky contract is also partly because Sky sell their games to companies abroad and in case of SPL that is much easier if at least one of OF is playing instead of two unknown teams . Saturday 3pm kickoffs for all league matches would probably lead to bigger crowds but a lot of damage has already been done and lots of fans have already become armchair / pub fans ( look how excited many posters here get about English football ) and got out of habit of watching on Saturday at 3 pm . Important thing would be to have fixed time and day for matches from start of season whether it`s Sat 3 pm or Friday 7.30 pm .

marleyhib
19-02-2012, 09:13 PM
The stats make grim reading, the last non OF team to win was Aberdeen 84-85, the OF have been 1-2 for the last 16 years bar Hearts in 05-06 and look where that got them £36 million in debt to a bampot.

However Rangers are in financial meltdown, Celtic can't compete with Championship teams for players and can't get past the qualifying rounds of the Champions League. There is no TV money, no automatic Champions league places and OF attendances are down.

The worrying thing for us all is that the game in Scotland is dying, Dunfermline only had 2000 odd at their game yesterday for example, they can't surely survive on gates like that.

The OF are getting weaker, unfortunately all of the rest of the teams are too, worrying times for Scottish football, something has to change but it might already be too late.

Newhaven
19-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Bye then.

Is this the same support you speak about that cost Calderwood his job?

DH1875
19-02-2012, 09:18 PM
It's what makes it all the better when we win things and beat them though :thumbsup:. When we finally win the Scottish cup there won't be a celtic fan in the world who will have felt what I'll feel that day.

If I've said it once I'll say it again. We don't need a squad that competes with them. We need a squad that can beat the rest. Do that and who knows, there's always a chance of picking up points against them and they take points of each other so I wouldn't be giving up just yet especially with Rangers being in the trouble they are.
Actually when you look at it, other than Hooper, Brown and the Mexican bloke (if he's still there) how many of Celtic's squad cost more than £1 million? I know they pay the wages but our going ons in the transfer market have been shocking the last few years.

Matty_Jack04
19-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Clause about OF in Sky contract is also partly because Sky sell their games to companies abroad and in case of SPL that is much easier if at least one of OF is playing instead of two unknown teams . Saturday 3pm kickoffs for all league matches would probably lead to bigger crowds but a lot of damage has already been done and lots of fans have already become armchair / pub fans ( look how excited many posters here get about English football ) and got out of habit of watching on Saturday at 3 pm . Important thing would be to have fixed time and day for matches from start of season whether it`s Sat 3 pm or Friday 7.30 pm .

Times, days are irrelevant there are 2 teams in a league of 12 who can win the title any year before a balls kicked, those teams also receive a bigger slice of league income than the other 10 teams do already putting the other sides at a disadvantage before the fan base even comes into play.

The SPL is set up in such away that if the OF don't want it too happen it won't. They basically run Scottish football there's no way either will vote for change if there's the slightest chance competition will improve as losing there yearly jaunts to Europe would ruin all buisness plans at both clubs.

Supporters can't tune into a single programme tv or radio, open a single paper without it being dominated by the OF no columnist in the country can go a single week without an in depth look at what's happening in the goldfish bowl, even regional news programmes cater for the out of town OF fans to such an extent local teams get nothing but a slight mention.

If your lucky enough for ur team to put a good side together ur best bet is 3rd place and a cup final BUT that joy is short lived because putting a side together then improving that costs too much for teams outside the OF so more often than not ur team is broken up before a uefa qualifier is played

So we know what's going to happen it always pans out the same and we're asked to pay between £20-£30 per game for the pleasure before we feed our kids terrible over priced food and drink and kit then out in the new seasons gear

Apologise for the ranting im just sick to death

Biggie
19-02-2012, 10:40 PM
I think FIFA/EUFA need to step in and remove the barriers to cross border leagues..or set up a european super league for the top 2 teams in each country across europe to compete...leaving the other countries with more competitive leagues. It seems to me that the major countries leagues across europe have been dominated by 2/3 teams. (take them out their leagues)

Scottish football needs to get back the competitiveness it had 30/40 years ago when it was a far more level playing field...currently (as others have stated) no other team will get close to winning our league again other than rantic...
We now have mediocre players earning 6 figure salaries in Scotland !! a footballing backwater...6 figure salaries !!...celtc and rangers players have it easy.
I reckon we need a salary cap as well....we also need scottish players to start getting games and less foreigners in our game.

The balls burst unless we do something radical to change.

Albion Hibs
19-02-2012, 10:42 PM

Think about what I wrote. Look at the crowds accross the league when you pick up a paper, it is embarrasing. This league will be part time in the next 10 years if things carry on like this. The lack of reality is at times frightening.....of course the gap will never close for a start they can get 4 or 5 times the amont of fans turning out for them, buying club gear and on that basis tv and everything else aside they are always going to have more money and be able to have a greater quality of player.

If people would rather sit in the house and watch the EPL, Bolton V's Wolves, Wigan V's West Brom etc etc then fine. But dont moan about the standard of the league. Clubs cant just go out and spend or the .net classic of "speculate to accumulate" so people need to get this dream out of their head.

Celtic are a much better team, they have much more financial resource and that will never change. It has been that way for as long as I have watched Hibs. I am not delighted at the turning over we got today, but it was not that many years ago where the old firm came to town every year and gave us a sound thrashing, the gap may have closed, it is bigger now, and it may close again in the future, but I have never expected to beat the old firm and whether or not I turn up at easter road will never be based on results against them....plus how much better does it make it when we do manage to put one over on them.

Today was a pash day, a bad performance against a team which is miles ahead in this league. No bother, tomorrow is another day and we have a big game on wednesday, I hope if anything the team use today as motivation for a much better performance and result against motherwell.

matty_f
19-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Think about what I wrote. Look at the crowds accross the league when you pick up a paper, it is embarrasing. This league will be part time in the next 10 years if things carry on like this. The lack of reality is at times frightening.....of course the gap will never close for a start they can get 4 or 5 times the amont of fans turning out for them, buying club gear and on that basis tv and everything else aside they are always going to have more money and be able to have a greater quality of player.

If people would rather sit in the house and watch the EPL, Bolton V's Wolves, Wigan V's West Brom etc etc then fine. But dont moan about the standard of the league. Clubs cant just go out and spend or the .net classic of "speculate to accumulate" so people need to get this dream out of their head.

Celtic are a much better team, they have much more financial resource and that will never change. It has been that way for as long as I have watched Hibs. I am not delighted at the turning over we got today, but it was not that many years ago where the old firm came to town every year and gave us a sound thrashing, the gap may have closed, it is bigger now, and it may close again in the future, but I have never expected to beat the old firm and whether or not I turn up at easter road will never be based on results against them....plus how much better does it make it when we do manage to put one over on them.

Today was a pash day, a bad performance against a team which is miles ahead in this league. No bother, tomorrow is another day and we have a big game on wednesday, I hope if anything the team use today as motivation for a much better performance and result against motherwell.

Not often I agree with you, but you're spot on with that post.

I was gutted at the home support today, and for all it's easy to say that it's easy for the Celtc fans to be right up for the game today, we could and should have been just as up for it. There's a meekness about the Hibs support that really, really needs to change soon. Same goes for the side. It looked like we were beat before a ball was kicked today, and I can only imagine what it was like for the players coming out to three stands with as many empty seats as filled ones, while the fourth stand - housing the away support - was absolutely jumping.

I don't think we've made more noise than any visiting fans this season.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2012, 11:17 PM

:faf::faf: :top marks

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Who are these people who would rather watch Bolton V's Wolves, Wigan V's West Brom, i never watch these games. I hardly watch any EPL games, perhaps the big derbys or Tottenham these days. Yet when i do watch them, none of the games clash with Hibs games?

cabbageandribs1875
19-02-2012, 11:39 PM
I do not post much as there are more people on here who put there point over better than I could. I agree with the op what is the point as it is the same every year. The other teams only pick up the scraps. We are only here to make up the numbers, I am old enough to have watched Hibs from the seventies and am saddened by how far we and other clubs have fallen over the years. I like you will always support our team but unlike you most of us are realists . We are fodder for the old firm.....And another thing You talk some pish

amen to that

jae
19-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Was at my first game of the season today. It is a sad fact but Celtic are miles ahead of us and thankfully we wont come up against them every week.
As I sat in the stand before kick off and watched them party (as we would have done or will do if Hearts were in Rangers position) I wondered how it would be if both sides of the OF were to get tae.
I wish the other SPL clubs had the balls to resign from the league and start afresh with SFL clubs.
Where can Celtic go on their own?
Would Sky TV or the BBC be interested in a league that would be much more competitive with every team being a contender at the start of the season?
Would crowds really increase enough for clubs to survive or would we end up like the Irish League?
Personally, sad to say, the apathy for our game is now too set in. A case in point, with the administration of Rangers and the chance of them being out of administration before 31 March being described as "optimistic" by the Administrators then 3rd place could be a Champions League spot.
Hearts and Motherwell are the main contendors for this yet they couldn't attract 5500 supporters to a 3pm kick off on a Saturday.
In my eyes that is the equivelent of a top of the table clash for teams outwith the OF.
I would love to have a full Easter Road bouncing to a "No old firm in Scotland" but sadly dont think it will happen in my lifetime.
It is due to work comitments that I have not been to any games this season BTW. It was good to be back tho despite the result.
GGTTH

Hibrandenburg
20-02-2012, 04:27 AM
Times, days are irrelevant there are 2 teams in a league of 12 who can win the title any year before a balls kicked, those teams also receive a bigger slice of league income than the other 10 teams do already putting the other sides at a disadvantage before the fan base even comes into play.

The SPL is set up in such away that if the OF don't want it too happen it won't. They basically run Scottish football there's no way either will vote for change if there's the slightest chance competition will improve as losing there yearly jaunts to Europe would ruin all buisness plans at both clubs.

Supporters can't tune into a single programme tv or radio, open a single paper without it being dominated by the OF no columnist in the country can go a single week without an in depth look at what's happening in the goldfish bowl, even regional news programmes cater for the out of town OF fans to such an extent local teams get nothing but a slight mention.

If your lucky enough for ur team to put a good side together ur best bet is 3rd place and a cup final BUT that joy is short lived because putting a side together then improving that costs too much for teams outside the OF so more often than not ur team is broken up before a uefa qualifier is played

So we know what's going to happen it always pans out the same and we're asked to pay between £20-£30 per game for the pleasure before we feed our kids terrible over priced food and drink and kit then out in the new seasons gear

Apologise for the ranting im just sick to death

That's exactly where I am Matty, Hibs are and always will be in my blood. But as long as Hibs and the rest of the clubs in Scotland whore themselves out to this old firm biased SPL then I cannot be arsed being arsed about Hibs, Scotland or the game in general.

If the old firm can't break away from the rest of Scotland then the rest of Scotland has to break away from them. It's the only way that we can manage to break away from the corrupt setup and stop the downward spiral that we find our selves in. However I fear it may even be too late for that.

steakbake
20-02-2012, 04:56 AM

Off topic, I know but I had to pick this up.

Maybe I'm not understanding your post but it's beyond doubt that Colin Calderwood cost himself his job. We are in this mess in a large part, courtesy of his and the Board's failure. Hopefully the intent shown with the appointment of Fenlon and the support in the January window might see us stay up. However, it amazes me how anyone can get dewy eyed at how Calderwood was treated. He should have been binned in the summer - we were even offered cash for him!

It's quite staggering.

Newhaven
20-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Off topic, I know but I had to pick this up.

Maybe I'm not understanding your post but it's beyond doubt that Colin Calderwood cost himself his job. We are in this mess in a large part, courtesy of his and the Board's failure. Hopefully the intent shown with the appointment of Fenlon and the support in the January window might see us stay up. However, it amazes me how anyone can get dewy eyed at how Calderwood was treated. He should have been binned in the summer - we were even offered cash for him!

It's quite staggering.

Off topic but 100% accurate

DCI Gene Hunt
20-02-2012, 07:24 AM

Chicken, egg. People don't bother going to the games because its too expensive and That Lot win everything year in year out. The conclusion that a lot of people have come to is who wants to, or can afford to, spend £££ on a ST watching games in a league where the winner is a foregone conclusion? What's the point?

Harsh fact but true. That Lot have ripped the backside out of Scottish football. I love Hibs and love football but the SPL is becoming unbearable now. RanTic winning everything, mid-season split, the psychotic, obsessive and thoroughly uninteresting continuous media coverage of That Lot, the sheer inequality of the money situation, the double-standards applied between That Lot and the rest of the teams in the league, cpomplete and utter RUBBISH.

steakbake
20-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Off topic but 100% accurate

Ok - I understand that now!

Steve-O
20-02-2012, 08:51 AM

All of what you say may well be true, but it doesn't take away from the fact the SPL is in a dire state and fans are being turned off by the product on offer at an alarming rate.

I doubt it's about the EPL for most people either, because many of the games in that league can be dire as well, but at least there's some underlying quality there. Yes, I know there's MUCH more money on offer, but the prices for tickets are the same as the SPL! We know the reasons why, but that doesn't change the fact Scottish fans are being WAY overcharged for a piss poor product, and the chickens are now coming home to roost.

Alas, I don't disagree that all this doom seems a whole lot worse because of the state Hibs are in.

Matty_Jack04
20-02-2012, 05:38 PM
That's exactly where I am Matty, Hibs are and always will be in my blood. But as long as Hibs and the rest of the clubs in Scotland whore themselves out to this old firm biased SPL then I cannot be arsed being arsed about Hibs, Scotland or the game in general.

If the old firm can't break away from the rest of Scotland then the rest of Scotland has to break away from them. It's the only way that we can manage to break away from the corrupt setup and stop the downward spiral that we find our selves in. However I fear it may even be too late for that.

Exactly all the reports and talk of change is too late it's also went very quiet on that front so ur looking at same old story for at least 3 more seasons...the baw will be well burst by then

I love hibs always have done and I admire the guys who continue to go week after week and enjoy it, it's not for me anymore though