PDA

View Full Version : Is this really our worst home defeat since 1985?

Jamesie
19-02-2012, 04:30 PM
This was put to Fenlon during his Sky interview but I recall us taking a few similar horsings under Jim Duffy - losing six on occasion I think? :confused:

marleyhib
19-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Used to have a 4 goal up and leave rule when Duffy was manager, invoked it again today - sad times

jamesjamieson
19-02-2012, 04:56 PM
This was put to Fenlon during his Sky interview but I recall us taking a few similar horsings under Jim Duffy - losing six on occasion I think? :confused:

The Sky interviewer is correct. We have lost 0-5 and 0-6 to Celtic away more recently but haven't lost 0-5 at home to anyone since 1985. And it was Celtic on that occasion - http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_list.php?opposition=56&from=111&to=137&competition=1&venue=H&update=Update.

LaMotta
19-02-2012, 05:21 PM
The Sky interviewer is correct. We have lost 0-5 and 0-6 to Celtic away more recently but haven't lost 0-5 at home to anyone since 1985. And it was Celtic on that occasion - http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_list.php?opposition=56&from=111&to=137&competition=1&venue=H&update=Update.

And to think people were moaning on here after Mixu managed 2 home draws against the old firm in a week when he was in charge........

zzspot
19-02-2012, 05:39 PM
and the crazy thing is bar Harris the would all walk into the team today

hibbybrian
19-02-2012, 05:44 PM
For me the worst home defeat since 1985, including today, was the Scottish Cup game in February 1994 :grr:

Hibernia Na Eir
19-02-2012, 06:59 PM
seem to remember a stuffing from fergies dons at ER, unsure the years tho?

truehibernian
19-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Was that the game they won the title ? I think it was 4-0 or so, but could be wrong. I just recall Fergie running onto the pitch like a daftie in a horrible rain coat.

Billy Whizz
19-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Was that the game they won the title ? I think it was 4-0 or so, but could be wrong. I just recall Fergie running onto the pitch like a daftie in a horrible rain coat.

Dons won 5-0 the day they won the league

Liberal Hibby
19-02-2012, 07:06 PM

And we were relegated...

truehibernian
19-02-2012, 07:08 PM

Yep, it's all coming back to me :boo hoo:

That was a right good Aberdeen side though. And we were relegated.

edinburghhibs
19-02-2012, 07:31 PM
We lost 0-5 to Aberdeen in about Feb/March 85. I was at the game, and whilst Aberdeen were the better team, every goal they scored seemed controversial. I remember the crowd trouble after the game, with police horses charging up and down Montgomery Street. We also lost 5 to Celtic the Saturday after beating them in the League Cup Q/final in 85.

As to the humpings under Jim "Coco the Clown" Duffy, mentioned by someone else, we lost 2-6 under Duffy against Motherwell, at Fir Park. His last game in charge. I don't recall any thing heavier than the humiliating 4 we lost on his 1st game in charge against those maroon buffoons.

Hibernia Na Eir
19-02-2012, 08:22 PM
We lost 0-5 to Aberdeen in about Feb/March 85. I was at the game, and whilst Aberdeen were the better team, every goal they scored seemed controversial. I remember the crowd trouble after the game, with police horses charging up and down Montgomery Street. We also lost 5 to Celtic the Saturday after beating them in the League Cup Q/final in 85.

As to the humpings under Jim "Coco the Clown" Duffy, mentioned by someone else, we lost 2-6 under Duffy against Motherwell, at Fir Park. His last game in charge. I don't recall any thing heavier than the humiliating 4 we lost on his 1st game in charge against those maroon buffoons.

aye, this is the game I recall. was a tense game but for off-field activities ;)

Gala Foxes
19-02-2012, 09:03 PM
we were fortunate that it stopped at 5

IberianHibernian
19-02-2012, 09:19 PM
And we were relegated...Were we actually mathematically relegated that day ? There were still a few matches after that ( one a home game with a crowd of about 1000 ) but I think we might have been down by time of Dons game ( if not mathematically then definitely morally - team was made up useless signings some of whom had already been given free transfers . I remember there were a lot of Celtic fans supporting us that day hoping we`d do them a favour only for a 0 v 5 . 0 v 5 against Celtic in 1985 was only three days after we beat them with same players in LC QF on penalties .

Jamesie
19-02-2012, 09:57 PM

We were very lucky it wasn't six - shortly after the fifth went in Stack could do little as another shot hit the inside of the bar and bounced away. No idea when the last time was that we lost six at Easter Road and don't want to think about it!

Jamesie
19-02-2012, 09:59 PM

Further digging has uncovered that the game I was thinking of was actually under Williamson - 0-4 with Jonathan Baillie sent off early on.

smurf
19-02-2012, 10:13 PM

Indeed. And this was us pretty much at full strength... Worrying times.

Purple & Green
19-02-2012, 10:57 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game_search.php?game=game&opp=0&comp=0&ven=H&sfrom=1&sto=137&res=0&stype=g&s=0&atype=g&a=5&mtype=g&m=0&limit=10&order=0&submit=Search is an ihibs link to all the times Hibs have conceded 5 at home - the last time being nearly 11 years ago a couple of weeks before the cup final.

The time before that was indeed 1985, on the Saturday after the Wednesday when we beat them in the SKOL cup.

I think we're vulnerable to results like this with the high turnover of staff in January, players take time to gel. Celtic are a settled side, and everything seemed to go for them today.

CallumLaidlaw
19-02-2012, 11:08 PM
And to think people were moaning on here after Mixu managed 2 home draws against the old firm in a week when he was in charge........

Is this you officially starting the Pat Fenlon witch hunt?

KWJ
19-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah never seen us beaten by so many at ER. Dunfermline papped us 4 or 5-1 under Blobby I believe. Livingston cuffed us straight after we beat Hearts 2-1 at Tynie, we were awful.

Put it behind us, we'll be back.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I know it wasnt 0 5 but one of the worst home defeats i can remember was a Billy Dodds/Keith, Keith, Keith inspired 0 4 win @ ER for Dundee, couldve been any score for Dundee!

LaMotta
20-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Is this you officially starting the Pat Fenlon witch hunt?

:confused:

No. Im pointing out that many people thought things were bad a few years ago and that Mixu was a clueless tactically inept buffoon. Things werent really that bad then though were they.

Yesterday is a sign of just how far we've fallen.

MrSmith
20-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I know it wasnt 0 5 but one of the worst home defeats i can remember was a Billy Dodds/Keith, Keith, Keith inspired 0 4 win @ ER for Dundee, couldve been any score for Dundee!

I turned up late to that match and the boys coming out of the ground told me not to bother...

AFKA5814_Hibs
20-02-2012, 02:34 PM

I think it was Tommy Coyne/Keith Wright. 4-0 at half time IIRC.

Andy74
20-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Didn't think of this yesterday but this must be the heaviest Hibs defeat I've ever seen.

Missed the likes of 7-0 at Ibrox. I've probably seen some 4-0s and a 5-1 or two but it must be the biggest defeat I've endured!

fat freddy
20-02-2012, 06:18 PM
if you thought sunday was bad spare a thought for those that lived through the following 7 day period in 1974

saturday - celtic away in the league..................5 - 0 defeat

wednesday - juventus at home in uefa cup........4 - 2 defeat

saturday - celtic at hampden, league cup final....6 - 3 defeat

now thats proper suffering and i've not mentioned the return tie in turin that ended in a 4 - 0 hammering because it was spliced in between a 5 - 0 victory over motherwell...i wonder if thats an omen?

Steve-O
21-02-2012, 06:48 AM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game_search.php?game=game&opp=0&comp=0&ven=H&sfrom=1&sto=137&res=0&stype=g&s=0&atype=g&a=5&mtype=g&m=0&limit=10&order=0&submit=Search is an ihibs link to all the times Hibs have conceded 5 at home - the last time being nearly 11 years ago a couple of weeks before the cup final.

The time before that was indeed 1985, on the Saturday after the Wednesday when we beat them in the SKOL cup.

I think we're vulnerable to results like this with the high turnover of staff in January, players take time to gel. Celtic are a settled side, and everything seemed to go for them today.

Genuinely can't recall that 5-2 defeat in 2001? Anyone got details on that one??

Hank Schrader
21-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Genuinely can't recall that 5-2 defeat in 2001? Anyone got details on that one??

Was end of season 2000/01, I think Sauzee scored that day. Wasn't too long before the cup final that season.

Purple & Green
21-02-2012, 07:06 AM

Celtic cruised to 5-0 up before Marc Libbra pulled a couple back in the last 5 minutes. Post split, it was a reduced capacity as the West Stand was being built. Didier Agathe got sent off.

Ringothedog
21-02-2012, 10:40 AM
I was at all 3:boo hoo: That was officially the worst week in Hibs history and may still be

if you thought sunday was bad spare a thought for those that lived through the following 7 day period in 1974

saturday - celtic away in the league..................5 - 0 defeat

wednesday - juventus at home in uefa cup........4 - 2 defeat

saturday - celtic at hampden, league cup final....6 - 3 defeat

now thats proper suffering and i've not mentioned the return tie in turin that ended in a 4 - 0 hammering because it was spliced in between a 5 - 0 victory over motherwell...i wonder if thats an omen?

Hibernia&Alba
22-02-2012, 06:26 AM
I was surprised by this stat, but it was a real pumping, albeit against a good side. Worrying times, but where there's life there's hope. We dig in and scrap. Let's see what tonight brings :flag:

Hibernia Na Eir
22-02-2012, 01:24 PM
did hertz not wallop us 0-4 at ER? did the little hun McCann or Hamilton no bag a brace or something? was a real going-over and worse than Sundays result by a mile. They bums fair milked it IIRC.
a stand out horrible ER defeat !!

Andy74
22-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I was at all 3:boo hoo: That was officially the worst week in Hibs history and may still be

We'd celebrate a 4-2 defeat at home to Juventus now as if we had won the cup I'd reckon.