PDA

View Full Version : Goalie in the summer

Ozyhibby
19-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Stack just not good enough

John_the_angus_hibby
19-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Not even nearly. I'm sure PF has this on his todo list.

Sent from another universe!

HibeeHendo
19-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Every player has their off days. Doesn't mean you should be replaced for having one bad game.

ac1
19-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Every player has their off days. Doesn't mean you should be replaced for having one bad game.

Not just one game i'm afraid

andy1875
19-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Bad day at the office for Stacky. Painful viewing and at fault for 3 goals out of 4. He's a top lad tho and has generally been a good keeper for us.

He'll be hurting as much as anyone else who loves our club.

HibeeHendo
19-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Ok Yam

I'm not a Hearts fan. He's had two clean sheets in his previous two games. I like stack and don't think finding a new keeper is at the top Fenlon's list.

Hainan Hibs
19-02-2012, 03:23 PM
If Maka, Smith, or Simon Brown had been playing like Stack they would've been crucified by now.

I don't understand the constant defence of Stack when he constantly loses us goals.

AndyB_70
19-02-2012, 03:24 PM
How many off days is he allowed? Stuck to his line far too often and totally indecisive.

ac1
19-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm not a Hearts fan. He's had two clean sheets in his previous two games. I like stack and don't think finding a new keeper is at the top Fenlon's list.

I know I edited it out - just raging at this pish! Apologies!

thebakerboy
19-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Our central defence has been poor for 2 seasons now , no matter what centre halfs are played , but the common factors are Stack or Brown in goals , and I know the defending generally has been poor , today included , but Stack has not been good for all 4 goals , so maybe a new keeper is what is needed??????????????

chinaman
19-02-2012, 03:33 PM
"macho man "stack kaks it to leave his line bring back malkowski

HibeeHendo
19-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I know I edited it out - just raging at this pish! Apologies!

No worries, totally understandable :aok:

Squealing pig
19-02-2012, 03:58 PM
"macho man "stack kaks it to leave his line bring back malkowski

Forget malkowski bring back the baldy polish goalie .. U try spell his name

Makaveli
19-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Bad day at the office for Stacky. Painful viewing and at fault for 3 goals out of 4. He's a top lad tho and has generally been a good keeper for us.

"He's a top lad" ... should I give a f***?

He's a poor keeper and a liability.

Eaststand
19-02-2012, 04:20 PM
How many off days is he allowed? Stuck to his line far too often and totally indecisive.

Spot on bud and he constantly costs us goals with his lack of command in his 6 yard box.

The first goal today was a big big part in what was going to follow on afterwards, and we gifted them that first goal mainly due to stack's decision to stay rooted to his line and not get onto the end of yet another cross into the 6 yard box

I reckon he needs to be realeased in the Summer if we want to win more games than we lose

GGTTH

marleyhib
19-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Can't deal with crosses, always rooted to his line - lost us a lot of goals from crosses this season.

Not the answer.

Hibs Class
19-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Think that was Stack's worst game for us. Mainly because not only did we see his chronic inability to come off his line but because his strength - shot-stopping - was also missing. Their 4th goal should be causing him nightmares tonight.

ronaldo7
19-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Can't deal with crosses, always rooted to his line - lost us a lot of goals from crosses this season.

Not the answer.

:agree: Cost us for 3 of the goals today. Until he understands he can come off his line, then we'll continue to get punished. I'm sick of seeing him pushing players just in front of him before the ball comes in, instead of moving around them and punching anything that moves. He seems to do ok in nightclubs:wink:

Billy Whizz
19-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Piss poor goalie and has been for a while now

andy1875
19-02-2012, 04:31 PM
"He's a top lad" ... should I give a f***?

He's a poor keeper and a liability.

I couldn't care less if you give a

Stack has been a decent keeper for Hibs. By no means a world beater but he's the best we currently have imo. Yes he could come of his line more often. He will admit today was a bad day but that's how it goes sometimes.

He is by no means a liability.

GreenCastle
19-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Stack is better than Brown - just...but every cross ball we are in danger....but we need a new goalkeeper who wants to come off his line - not go back every time onto his goal line and net.

Lost count how many goals we have lost from set pieces this season :rolleyes:

lucky
19-02-2012, 04:46 PM
A new keeper is a must. Stack was awful again

Makaveli
19-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I couldn't care less if you give a

Stack has been a decent keeper for Hibs. By no means a world beater but he's the best we currently have imo. Yes he could come of his line more often. He will admit today was a bad day but that's how it goes sometimes.

He is by no means a liability.

So you're sticking to the line (there's a Stack joke in there somewhere) that being "a top lad" is somehow relevant to whether or not he deserves criticism?

Sums up the situation we've been in these last few years; people have their favourites who are allowed as many off-days/bad days at the office as they want, Stack being the main one.

erin go bragh
19-02-2012, 04:56 PM
We need a big strong keeper that can come for cross balls and stack is not the answer ,nor is brown .
ggtth

andy1875
19-02-2012, 05:12 PM
So you're sticking to the line (there's a Stack joke in there somewhere) that being "a top lad" is somehow relevant to whether or not he deserves criticism?

Sums up the situation we've been in these last few years; people have their favourites who are allowed as many off-days/bad days at the office as they want, Stack being the main one.

Where exactly did I say he was exempt from criticism because he was a top lad? If you read the whole post instead of jumping on your high horse you'll notice I DO criticise Stack for his poor performance today.

I'll stick to my opinion that he obviously had a bad day today, SHOULD come of his line more but is still a decent keeper and the best we have. Hope you understand my points this time.

Hiber-nation
19-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Stack has got off so lightly because of the garbage we've had in goals over the years. We've had the monopoly in crap keepers for god knows how long.

Stack's main strengths before he got these injuries were his shot stopping and his kicking. He struggles with both now so we've got a keeper who is permanently rooted to his line, not a great shot stopper and a poor kicker. Him and Brown are six and half a dozen and neither are anywhere near good enough.

SMAXXA
19-02-2012, 05:21 PM
He is not good enough imo. He's making the same mistakes now and costing us the same goals that he's been doing through out his time at hibs. His inability to come from his line for crosses is woeful and can't be denied.

I also hear all this stuff about him having his strenghts as a shot stopper. Well for me he's not strong at shot stopping at all, the shots i see him save I would expect any keeper to stop, most are bread and butter imo.

Conclusion, no contract renewal and bring in another couple of keeps.

Hibs7
19-02-2012, 05:25 PM
He was at fault for at least 3 of the goals today,not good enough in my opinion. A really good keeper installs confidence in the defence, he does not.

ekhibee
19-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Stack has got off so lightly because of the garbage we've had in goals over the years. We've had the monopoly in crap keepers for god knows how long.

Stack's main strengths before he got these injuries were his shot stopping and his kicking. He struggles with both now so we've got a keeper who is permanently rooted to his line, not a great shot stopper and a poor kicker. Him and Brown are six and half a dozen and neither are anywhere near good enough.

Totally agree. It's one thing saying he's had 'a bad day at the office', but it happens far too often with him, and Brown, and just because the other keepers we've had in recent years have virtually all been pish does not mean he's good. The goalie Celtic have, last season, didn't seem to command his box nearly as well as he does now, and there's a big difference in the confidence factor as far as defenders go. Admittedly he didn't really have much to do today, but he seems to have improved his game, Stack and Brown haven't. Whether that's down to pish goalkeeping coaching I don't know, but something is seriously wrong in this area of the pitch if Stack is the best we've got.

andy1875
19-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't say I'm a keyboard hard man..But if you care to do a bit of homework I think you'll find I'm not easily beatupable in real life :))))

I

Are you Stacky? :greengrin

Ah well, I can't be bothered arguing about this anymore. Best forgetting today ever happened.

Cheers

iain nolan
19-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I like to ask when did we last have a great goalkeeper . was never a fan off ALEX MILLER teams but he always had a keeper that would save us points come the end off the season and kept us in the SPL.
lets hope the new managment team give us a keeper to be proud off as its been years :flag:

SMAXXA
19-02-2012, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't say I'm a keyboard hard man..But if you care to do a bit of homework I think you'll find I'm not easily beatupable in real life :))))

I

A recon a could take you but a never did do my homework, overrated. ;-)

DaveF
19-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Not the answer.

Nail on head.

A keeper who cannot and will not come off his line is no ****ing good. As demonstrated superbly well by Stack today.

Hibs_SW
19-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Forget malkowski bring back the baldy polish goalie .. U try spell his name

That samoultowski boy!? I thought he was not bad!

scoopyboy
19-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Did we no lose five?

andy1875
19-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Did we no lose five?

Yes.

Posted at 4-0.

scoopyboy
19-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Off the park he is as hard as nails but that kind of attitude is needed on the park.

He bricks it to come off his line and every SPL team knows it.

They all land corners on the 6 yard box with decent success.

scoopyboy
19-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Yes.

Posted at 4-0.

fair cop guv.

I wish the times were correct on here.

HONG KONG PHOOEY
19-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Stack is a bad goalkeeper. He can short stop but that is it...anything he has to come for he stays on his line. Today was a shocking example of that they scored the first from 4 yards with they gut "swooping" down at 4 yards !!!

truehibernian
19-02-2012, 06:41 PM
fair cop guv.

I wish the times were correct on here.

Watched the playback of the first goal scoopy and Lennon turn to Thompson and says 'told you'............my take on that is he told his players taking set pieces to get the ball whipped into the six yard box as he knew Stack doesn't command and come.

The times that he has come in the last two games he has literally flapped. He is a good shot stopper more often than not, cruelly exposed today at set pieces, and as like the first game of the season, his error (in my opinion) sapped what had been an okay start to the game. What he was thinking for the fourth I do not know, and his dive for the free kick looked lazy and slow.

And I know I sound like a dinosaur (and tin hat firmly on), but I have no time for pro footballers that don't look after themselves and Stack falls into that bracket for me with his smoking and frequent visits to Lulu etc. It's why we are where we are IMHO. Pro's not taking their art seriously. Professionals at drinking, twitter, facebook and getting into bother - not so at kicking that wee lovely football around a pitch and keeping it out. The priority has to be football, nothing more, nothing less, for this next 3 months.

Scouse Hibee
19-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Stack is better than Brown - just...but every cross ball we are in danger....but we need a new goalkeeper who wants to come off his line - not go back every time onto his goal line and net.

Lost count how many goals we have lost from set pieces this season :rolleyes:

No he's not, he's just seen to be more as one of the lads with the fans hence the reason they cut him more slack.

archiebald
19-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Agree -we have all talked about him again and again- lined up wall then tried to go behind it-never takes a cross-scared to come off his line.Noticed today though players shouting him after losing goals.

S.sct
19-02-2012, 08:07 PM
I am absolutely certain that PF will sign a keeper in the summer. Both Stack and Brown are avarage and neither command the penalty box. This is OK if you have a big Rob Jones getting his head on anything that comes in but........
To be fair the defending was poor full stop today, pity as things were looking far better recently.

Bishop Hibee
19-02-2012, 08:15 PM
New keeper is a must.

Holmesdale Hibs
19-02-2012, 08:57 PM
New keeper is a must.

A new keeper is maybe desirable but it's not essential IMO. Stack had a shocker today has been ok for most of the season. Stack and Brown are adequate SPL keepers, we should prioritise improving the squad in other positions before we look at new keepers.

Hibby 2005
19-02-2012, 09:01 PM
1st goal against the Old Firm is always crucial so it doesn't help when Stack ****s himself at crosses.

J-C
19-02-2012, 09:05 PM
We need a 6' 3" shot stopper who comes off his line quickly and is good with crosses, check out Poland, they seem to have an abundance of them over there.

IberianHibernian
19-02-2012, 09:06 PM
A new keeper is maybe desirable but it's not essential IMO. Stack had a shocker today has been ok for most of the season. Stack and Brown are adequate SPL keepers, we should prioritise improving the squad in other positions before we look at new keepers.I agree with that . Stack won`t have been happy with his performance today but is still a good goalie and him and Brown are probably best we`ve had in last decade ( though that is not saying much admittedly ) . Also as always , it`s easy to say they`re not good enough without coming up with names of alternatives who`ll be significantly better . Also wouldn`t be surprised if both our goalies are hoping to leave in summer anyway .

Newhaven
19-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Watched the playback of the first goal scoopy and Lennon turn to Thompson and says 'told you'............my take on that is he told his players taking set pieces to get the ball whipped into the six yard box as he knew Stack doesn't command and come.

The times that he has come in the last two games he has literally flapped. He is a good shot stopper more often than not, cruelly exposed today at set pieces, and as like the first game of the season, his error (in my opinion) sapped what had been an okay start to the game. What he was thinking for the fourth I do not know, and his dive for the free kick looked lazy and slow.

And I know I sound like a dinosaur (and tin hat firmly on), but I have no time for pro footballers that don't look after themselves and Stack falls into that bracket for me with his smoking and frequent visits to Lulu etc. It's why we are where we are IMHO. Pro's not taking their art seriously. Professionals at drinking, twitter, facebook and getting into bother - not so at kicking that wee lovely football around a pitch and keeping it out. The priority has to be football, nothing more, nothing less, for this next 3 months.

100% especially the bits in bold.

The first goal was bread and butter for a keeper to at least punch but good old Graeme stands there and watches it go in..It's not the first time we have been exposed at corners either.As for the fourth goal that was a mistake of Makalambyesque standards, who of course went onto bigger things when he was emptied.......

He appears to get a lot of slack here as he saved a penalty against Hearts and is one of the boys who posts on facebook :confused:. He should have been released in the January window along with the rest of the dross.

Newhaven
19-02-2012, 09:10 PM
I agree with that . Stack won`t have been happy with his performance today but is still a good goalie and him and Brown are probably best we`ve had in last decade ( though that is not saying much admittedly ) . Also as always , it`s easy to say they`re not good enough without coming up with names of alternatives who`ll be significantly better . Also wouldn`t be surprised if both our goalies are hoping to leave in summer anyway .

No great loss there then

NOLA
19-02-2012, 09:16 PM
the last "Decent" keeper ive seen in a hibs team was Daniel Andersson, i noticed that hamilton released tomas cerny recently, i was impressed by him wen i saw him but think injuries have taken their toll on him now, we need a new keeper badly.

duffers
20-02-2012, 06:37 AM
I'm a big stack fan, but yesterday he was pretty awful. He was at fault for 3 out of the 5 goals, and no one knows that more than himself. But he is the best keeper we have so I think we have to keep him in the team. He has maybe lost us a few points in his time here, but he has also won us a few. Stick by him until the summer and then look to see if we need a new keeper or not

duffers
20-02-2012, 06:38 AM
We need a 6' 3" shot stopper who comes off his line quickly and is good with crosses, check out Poland, they seem to have an abundance of them over there.

Malkowski.....

JimBHibees
20-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Stack was horrific, the first goal he has to be nimble enough to get away from Hooper and get his hand on the ball, catch or punch. It was the copy of the goal Jelavic scored at ER a free header from 3 yards, schoolboy stuff. Mulgrew is a decent free kick taker however Stack's positioning was a horror show as the shot didnt even go into the corner of the net, should have been a straight forward save IMO. 4th goal was even worse a half hit shot from outwide virtually straught at him and he flaps it into the corner. No team would survive that level of howlers.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Stack was awful yesterday, he took me back to Maka at his best. I dont believe he will play as badly again, he's been decent for us on a whole since he signed imo.

While i'd never knock back a new keeper if he's better than what we have, i would not be worried if Fenlon decided to strengthen other positions first.

Spudster
20-02-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't understand the constant defence of Stack when he constantly loses us goals.

:agree:
I'm absolutely baffled as to how Mark Brown hasn't got a decent run in the team, he was one of the best in the league at ICT.

StevieC
20-02-2012, 11:01 AM
A new keeper is maybe desirable but it's not essential IMO.

A good keeper is worth his weight in gold.

A lot of posters may have missed out on the Rough/Goram/Leighton years but these were goalkeepers that, without a shadow of a doubt, earned you points during the course of a season.

At the moment we have keepers that, whilst they may be adequate, will COST us points during the course of a season.

Yesterday is an example.

Losing the first goal to Celtic (or Rangers for that matter) undoubtedly has an effect on the team and the players. You know that you are up against it when playing the Old Firm and the longer that you can hold out, the more confidence players get and are more "up-for-it" as the game progresses. Losing a goal, especially an early goal, will deflate the team, confidence and enthusiasm.

For what it's worth, I actually thought we were playing quite well in the early part of the game and were, on occassion, taking the game to Celtic. Once we lost the goal though you could see the whole game change, and by the time the 2nd half arrived we were a pretty deflated side. If Stack had come and got something on that corner then it's possible that the whole game may have changed. Not saying we would have won .. but a 0-5 drubbing? I don't think so.

StevieC
20-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Stack was horrific, the first goal he has to be nimble enough to get away from Hooper and get his hand on the ball, catch or punch.

Keepers don't need to be "nimble" these days Jim. They can come out, push everyone out the way, and still get a free-kick in their favour if anyone comes near them.

Stack, however, has no intention of putting this to the test and will happily put the onus on his defenders to clear anything from the 6 yard box. :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
20-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Keepers don't need to be "nimble" these days Jim. They can come out, push everyone out the way, and still get a free-kick in their favour if anyone comes near them.

Stack, however, has no intention of putting this to the test and will happily put the onus on his defenders to clear anything from the 6 yard box. :rolleyes:

Totally agree. He didnt want to command his box so didnt. To be gambling on a Hibs player winning the header when you have a guy who can use his hands not bothering to compete for it is complete nonsense.

StevieC
20-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Totally agree. He didnt want to command his box so didnt. To be gambling on a Hibs player winning the header when you have a guy who can use his hands not bothering to compete for it is complete nonsense.

:agree:

:top marks

Danderhall Hibs
20-02-2012, 12:02 PM

:agree: It's a fair point. Provan tried to give him an excuse by saying that Hooper blocked him - I disagree I think he was distracted by the pushing and shoving and forgot a cross was coming in right on top of his head.

Although I'm a bit worried our on-loan captain was nowhere near Stokes and was facing his own goal when trying to defend the corner. Piss poor all round IMO.

JimBHibees
20-02-2012, 12:36 PM
:agree: It's a fair point. Provan tried to give him an excuse by saying that Hooper blocked him - I disagree I think he was distracted by the pushing and shoving and forgot a cross was coming in right on top of his head.

Although I'm a bit worried our on-loan captain was nowhere near Stokes and was facing his own goal when trying to defend the corner. Piss poor all round IMO.

Personally thought Provan was talking mince, not for the first time. :greengrin

To be fair to McPake he was actually picking up Rogne for the corner and was trying to get to the ball when he saw Stokes unmarked, Stokes got away from Ozzy who was caught sleeping.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Personally thought Provan was talking mince, not for the first time. :greengrin

To be fair to McPake he was actually picking up Rogne for the corner and was trying to get to the ball when he saw Stokes unmarked, Stokes got away from Ozzy who was caught sleeping.

:agree: At first i thought it was McPake who was sleeping at the first goal, but on watching it again, its cleary Ozzy who just lets him run off him. :rolleyes:

Andy74
20-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Stack had a bad game, no doubt , but is generally a dependable enough keeper which is essentially all you can ssk. Its risk mitigation with keepers, trying to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

You can go the other way and go for a keeper who will try and dominate their box. The problem is that approach also has a high degree of risk and he can go crashing into people, miss the odd thing or drop them and then there is no keeper there on the line to try and sort it out.

At least when a keeper generally stays the defenders know they nned to do their jobs in defending crosses and if they lose out then the keeper is still in position.

Maka had all the attributes to be a dominant keeper in the box but it ended up causing mayhem!

StevieC
20-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Stack had a bad game, no doubt , but is generally a dependable enough keeper which is essentially all you can ask.

No it's not.

Commanding your 6 yard box is something that ALL keepers should be able to do. Whether they do it well or do it badly is another cause for discussion but it should still be done.

Basic goalkeeper coaching will involve positioning, decision making, punching and how to catch a ball at height .. not just shot stopping.

hibee62
20-02-2012, 02:22 PM
TBH I find the criticism of Stack grossly unfair. He may have cost us a few goals from crosses but he has also saved us a few times! And lets look at all the other keepers in the league and see who we'd take:

Forster: easily lobbed for such a tall man, solid and dependable, no better
McGregor: probably better but still liable to throw the ball in his own net every 3-4 games
Motherwell seem to have a good keeper, but can't mind his name
Hearts: Kello is good but is now out the picture, McDonald is a bombscare and has been ever since Showunmi got in front if him at QofS all those years ago
St Johnstone: Enkelmann chucks the ball in his own net at an alarming rate for a man with EPL experience
Killie: Bell is not as good as Stack from what I've seen, nearly cost Killie the points at the weekend with a fumble and a missed cross
United: that Pernis boy chucks the ball in his own net every 4-5 games
Aberdeen: a history of comical goalies from Langfield to that Columbian boy earlier this season. Don't know much about Brown
St Mirren: didn't he hand us a couple of goals in our win there this season?
Inverness: know nothing about him, probably means he's quite good
Dunfermline: with Gallacher (who I don't think is any better than Stack) out injured both their replacements are worth 1-2 goals a game,without fail

So, there's probably at most 5 keepers in the SPL better than Stack. After what we've gone through in the past 10 years, I'll take a middle of the road, solid enough keeper any day of the week!

TornadoHibby
20-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Stack had a bad game, no doubt , but is generally a dependable enough keeper which is essentially all you can ssk. Its risk mitigation with keepers, trying to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

You can go the other way and go for a keeper who will try and dominate their box. The problem is that approach also has a high degree of risk and he can go crashing into people, miss the odd thing or drop them and then there is no keeper there on the line to try and sort it out.

At least when a keeper generally stays the defenders know they nned to do their jobs in defending crosses and if they lose out then the keeper is still in position.

Maka had all the attributes to be a dominant keeper in the box but it ended up causing mayhem!

I would say that Stack had an absolutely horrendous game rather than a bad game!

From the very first game he played for Hibs, I've been concerned about his unwillingness to come off his line for cross balls particularly in the 6 yard box!

Again that unwillingness to do exactly that cost us a goal! He made no attempt to block any attempt at goal from Stokes choosing to watch Stokes put the ball past him into the net as if he wasn't there!

His efforts at the 3rd and 4th goals were those of an amateur goalkeeper and the sooner he is away from Hibs the happier I personally will be!

He certainly doesn't play like the apparent 'hard man' that he seems to like acting out when not playing football which makes opposing teams fire crosses at him as they will inevitably produce chances and goals for them!

Sorry but I've never felt comfortable with him in goal and he reminded me precisely why that is yesterday!

Makaveli
20-02-2012, 02:32 PM
TBH I find the criticism of Stack grossly unfair. He may have cost us a few goals from crosses but he has also saved us a few times! And lets look at all the other keepers in the league and see who we'd take:

Forster: easily lobbed for such a tall man, solid and dependable, no better
McGregor: probably better but still liable to throw the ball in his own net every 3-4 games
Motherwell seem to have a good keeper, but can't mind his name
Hearts: Kello is good but is now out the picture, McDonald is a bombscare and has been ever since Showunmi got in front if him at QofS all those years ago
St Johnstone: Enkelmann chucks the ball in his own net at an alarming rate for a man with EPL experience
Killie: Bell is not as good as Stack from what I've seen, nearly cost Killie the points at the weekend with a fumble and a missed cross
United: that Pernis boy chucks the ball in his own net every 4-5 games
Aberdeen: a history of comical goalies from Langfield to that Columbian boy earlier this season. Don't know much about Brown
St Mirren: didn't he hand us a couple of goals in our win there this season?
Inverness: know nothing about him, probably means he's quite good
Dunfermline: with Gallacher (who I don't think is any better than Stack) out injured both their replacements are worth 1-2 goals a game,without fail

So, there's probably at most 5 keepers in the SPL better than Stack. After what we've gone through in the past 10 years, I'll take a middle of the road, solid enough keeper any day of the week!

Me too, so here's hoping Fenlon signs one in the summer.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I would say that Stack had an absolutely horrendous game rather than a bad game!

From the very first game he played for Hibs, I've been concerned about his unwillingness to come off his line for cross balls particularly in the 6 yard box!

Again that unwillingness to do exactly that cost us a goal! He made no attempt to block any attempt at goal from Stokes choosing to watch Stokes put the ball past him into the net as if he wasn't there!

His efforts at the 3rd and 4th goals were those of an amateur goalkeeper and the sooner he is away from Hibs the happier I personally will be!

He certainly doesn't play like the apparent 'hard man' that he seems to like acting out when not playing football which makes opposing teams fire crosses at him as they will inevitably produce chances and goals for them!

Sorry but I've never felt comfortable with him in goal and he reminded me precisely why that is yesterday!

Surely only if he's replaced with better?

hibee62
20-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Me too, so here's hoping Fenlon signs one in the summer.

Are you going to counter my evidence with your own to back up your argument? Or just make "funny" statements?

TornadoHibby
20-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Surely only if he's replaced with better?

Mark Brown in the short term and by a carefully chosen reliable good keeper comfortable at SPL level at least conceding few goals into the bargain!

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Mark Brown in the short term and by a carefully chosen reliable good keeper comfortable at conceding few goals at SPL level at least!

I think Stack is better than Brown, i also remember saying a few years ago that i'd be happy to see Simon Brown out the door ASAP. We then replaced him with Coco the clown. :wink:

Makaveli
20-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Are you going to counter my evidence with your own to back up your argument? Or just make "funny" statements?

Do you know what evidence means? It's not just saying things you think are true, like: "He may have cost us a few goals from crosses but he has also saved us a few times!"

Yesterday I saw with my own eyes, once again, that Stack isn't a good goalkeeper. The evidence started with their 1st goal (rooted, as per) and continued to their 4th, which showed again that he isn't "a good shot-stopper though" as so many folk always say.

Brown isn't a good keeper either but IMO he's a bit better than Stack. We need better. As for your little SPL comparison... it's quite hard to take it seriously when you say Forster is "no better" and McGregor only "probably better" than Stack.

TornadoHibby
20-02-2012, 02:47 PM
I think Stack is better than Brown, i also remember saying a few years ago that i'd be happy to see Simon Brown out the door ASAP. We then replaced him with Coco the clown. :wink:

Naturally I don't agree with you!

With a good few weeks till the end of the season, surely even Hibs can source and secure a reliable keeper or two for the first time in a number of years?!

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Naturally I don't agree with you!

With a good few weeks till the end of the season, surely even Hibs can source and secure a reliable keeper or two for the first time in a number of years?!

I'm not against getting better players whatever position they play?

hibee62
20-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Do you know what evidence means? It's not just saying things you think are true, like: "He may have cost us a few goals from crosses but he has also saved us a few times!"

Yesterday I saw with my own eyes, once again, that Stack isn't a good goalkeeper. The evidence started with their 1st goal (rooted, as per) and continued to their 4th, which showed again that he isn't "a good shot-stopper though" as so many folk always say.

Brown isn't a good keeper either but IMO he's a bit better than Stack. We need better. As for your little SPL comparison... it's quite hard to take it seriously when you say Forster is "no better" and McGregor only "probably better" than Stack.

Why do you say Forster and McGregor are so much better? I've seen McGregor throw the ball in his own net many many times, on Scotland terms a fit Craig Gordon is infinitely better. As for Forster, Celtic fans themselves are not totally convinced yet, although I'm hearing he has improved recently.

As for the good shot stopper arguments, I can only assume you don't see him play regularly, even on the highlights there are 2 very good saves that he made yesterday. And yesterday is the only time I can remember him letting through an easy save (not saying it's never happened before, just that it can't have happened that regularly).

He is a perfectly competent SPL goalkeeper who had a bad day at the office, OK he's not great with crosses but he's doing a fine job for us just now.

Makaveli
20-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Why do you say Forster and McGregor are so much better? I've seen McGregor throw the ball in his own net many many times, on Scotland terms a fit Craig Gordon is infinitely better. As for Forster, Celtic fans themselves are not totally convinced yet, although I'm hearing he has improved recently.

As for the good shot stopper arguments, I can only assume you don't see him play regularly, even on the highlights there are 2 very good saves that he made yesterday. And yesterday is the only time I can remember him letting through an easy save (not saying it's never happened before, just that it can't have happened that regularly).

He is a perfectly competent SPL goalkeeper who had a bad day at the office, OK he's not great with crosses but he's doing a fine job for us just now.

He just doesn't make enough saves; yesterday he conceded 5 goals from 9 shots on target (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17001809). Woeful.

10th out of 12 in the SPL in terms of save percentage overall (http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/288320-which-goalkeeper-has-the-highest-save-percentage-in-the-spl/). Thise will be worse after yesterday.

I'm only linking these because you asked for some sort of empirical evidence despite providing none of your own.

hibee62
20-02-2012, 03:32 PM
He just doesn't make enough saves; yesterday he conceded 5 goals from 9 shots on target (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17001809). Woeful.

10th out of 12 in the SPL in terms of save percentage overall (http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/288320-which-goalkeeper-has-the-highest-save-percentage-in-the-spl/). Thise will be worse after yesterday.

I'm only linking these because you asked for some sort of empirical evidence despite providing none of your own.

I am very surprised that he so low on save percentage. From what I've seen he more often than not will make all saves expected of him and some not, yesterday excluded of course. The thing I don't like about Brown is that when faced one on one or with a penalty he doesn't have a presence, it's like he doesn't expect to save it so thats ok. Whereas, IMO Stack always expects to make the save and makes plenty of one on one saves you wouldn't expect him to save.

OK, so evidence was the wrong word, argument would probably have been better, as mine was more an argument. And my argument is that he is a top 6 goalkeeper and is the least of our problems, based on my arguments above. And I stand by my arguments that there are much worse keepers in the league and not many significantly better.

brog
20-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I posted months ago that a strong, reliable & commanding keeper was a priority, I received very little support on here for that view. I take absolutely no pleasure now in seeing other people coming round to my way of thinking.
FWIW I do think Stack is our best keeper but as many have pointed out he does not command his area, particularly on crosses. IMO we've not really had a reliable keeper since Daniel A. I'm sure PF is aware of this deficiency, I just hope we're not relegated before we can fix it!

Andy74
20-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I posted months ago that a strong, reliable & commanding keeper was a priority, I received very little support on here for that view. I take absolutely no pleasure now in seeing other people coming round to my way of thinking.
FWIW I do think Stack is our best keeper but as many have pointed out he does not command his area, particularly on crosses. IMO we've not really had a reliable keeper since Daniel A. I'm sure PF is aware of this deficiency, I just hope we're not relegated before we can fix it!

Daniel A had a shocker of his own against Celtic and probably wasn't around long enough to produce too many errors.

Of course a strong, reliable keeper who commands his box and does all the other things well would be great. Others such as Man U might be interested if we can source one.

hibee62
20-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Daniel A had a shocker of his own against Celtic and probably wasn't around long enough to produce too many errors.

Of course a strong, reliable keeper who commands his box and does all the other things well would be great. Others such as Man U might be interested if we can source one.

:top marks

I remember Daniel Andersen as being very similar to Stack actually. Great shot stopper (see Hampden, 4th february 2004) but missing a fair few crosses in his time. As I say above, I don't think we are too badly off as far as the SPL goes, and Stack will certainly not be the reason IF we are relegated this season.

PISTOL1875
20-02-2012, 05:10 PM

Not one bad game I am afraid. His very first match verses Celtic when Samarass scored at the back door inside the 6yard box was enough for me to see he wasn't good enough... The first goal yesterday was totally embarrassing.. Stokes scored from around 3 yards , bang in the middle of the goals FFS..

Far too many times now , Stack has cost us goals by not coming off his line.. Hope he's emptied in the summer..

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-02-2012, 05:56 PM
We should maybe get the phone number of the agent who finds all the goalies for Dundee United. :dunno:

HibbyDave
20-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Neil Alexander will most likely be looking for work soon.

brog
21-02-2012, 09:16 AM

Every keeper will have an occasional shocker but we desperately need to increase the overall reliability of our custodians. Yams had 2 good goalies & only the Mad one's interference has cost them. Dundee Utd had both the Mad Monk & Zaluska & managed to replace them with Pernis. Motherwell replaced Ruddy with Randolph, meanwhile our goalkeeping academy was Smith, Brown & Stack, ( who again I believe is the best at ER currently ). I agree other SPL teams, notably Pars ( thankfully ) & Dons have not had decent keepers recently but do we really take comfort from saying ( not you ) that other SPL teams have keepers who're even worse than ours? I would rather be looking to improve.