PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Stokes

Wotherspiniesta
19-02-2012, 02:49 PM
As clear an elbow as you will see gone totally unnoticed by the officials.

BoltonHibee
19-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Complete accident.

Wotherspiniesta
19-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Complete accident.

Nae chance.

He meant that.

Dan Sarf
19-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Complete accident.

You kidding? He whipped his elbow back.

easty
19-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Accident in my opinion.

BoltonHibee
19-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Mmmm not a chance there was no malice in that at all

Davy Mac
19-02-2012, 02:54 PM
As clear an elbow as you will see gone totally unnoticed by the officials.

And the commentators who have got a perfect view of it - trumpets.

PeeJay
19-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Seems an obvious foul to me - why are his elbows up there when he's trying to head the ball?

BoltonHibee
19-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Seems an obvious foul to me - why are his elbows up there when he's trying to head the ball?

Eh?

Have you ever jumped to head a ball?

Wotherspiniesta
19-02-2012, 02:57 PM
And the commentators who have got a perfect view of it - trumpets.

Even with the super slow mo of Stokes swinging his elbow back into the face of Doherty. " No malice"

Aye ****ing right then!

SteveHFC
19-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Stokes should have been sent off!

Wotherspiniesta
19-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Eh?

Like Stokes did?

Probably not.

Dan Sarf
19-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Eh?

I just tried it out here in my living room and you're right. I got my wife right in the eye with my elbow. Complete accident.

Squealing pig
19-02-2012, 03:00 PM
He knew what he was doing trying to injure doherty

easty
19-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Eh?

Thing is....when I do it, I am trying to knock the other guy out. But I'm just a dick!

FastEddieFelson
I just tried it out here in my living room and you're right. I got my wife right in the eye with my elbow. Complete accident.

brilliant

ScottB
We shall see if the review panel are capable of noticing anything other than gestures at the stands then...

BoltonHibee
19-02-2012, 03:12 PM

See, told you

Dan Sarf
19-02-2012, 03:15 PM
See, told you

She's not speaking to me now, thanks to you. Anyway, she was off side.

essexhibee
19-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Davie provan said it was an accident. And he's not bias. And he's another impartial skysports commentator. **** right off. Stokes is a cretin with an IRA loving dad. Prick.

Pedantic_Hibee
19-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Whether it was meant or not, it's a yellow card.

Same with Brown's pull back, that's a yellow as well.

BoltonHibee
19-02-2012, 03:22 PM

:) there's always an upside

justlikebrazil
19-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Davie provan said it was an accident. And he's not bias. And he's another impartial skysports commentator. **** right off. Stokes is a cretin with an IRA loving dad. Prick.
provan is a cock and thomson the ref is a bigger one!!!

Hibs Class
19-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Just in and watched the incident on Sky+ (before deleting an otherwise unwatched recording!) I've no doubt it was an intentional elbow as it was definitely swung. I'd be hugely surprised if Stokes isn't cited for it.

ronaldo7
19-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Definately intentional. Let's see if the media make a fuss of it or not.

Gettin' Auld
19-02-2012, 04:42 PM
I can believe that - Women just don't understand the offside rule!! :greengrin

Hibs7
19-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Let's see what the compliance officer does about that. Never an accident !

Dan Sarf
19-02-2012, 04:48 PM
I can believe that - Women just don't understand the offside rule!! :greengrin

She says she wasn't interfering with play but that is rubbish as she headed the ball into the fireplace.

Booked4Being-Ugly
19-02-2012, 05:57 PM
She says she wasn't interfering with play but that is rubbish as she headed the ball into the fireplace.Sounds like she could do a job for us as i don't think any of our current strikers could hit your fireplace!

JimBHibees
19-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Completely intentional. Deliberately elbowed Doherty in the face eight in front of the clown ref. Why do you think the benches were going mental? Chick Young asked PF after the game whether it was an accident PF said he thought it was which to me was with an eye on Celtc's next opponent.

HONG KONG PHOOEY
19-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Completely intentional. Deliberately elbowed Doherty in the face eight in front of the clown ref. Why do you think the benches were going mental? Chick Young asked PF after the game whether it was an accident PF said he thought it was which to me was with an eye on Celtc's next opponent.
Completely agree it was intentional. Was down stair watching it on TV and he knew exactly what he was doing. But the ref as usual watched it and was scared to make a decision.

Hibs Class
19-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Completely agree it was intentional. Was down stair watching it on TV and he knew exactly what he was doing. But the ref as usual watched it and was scared to make a decision.

Thomson reffed down to his usual standard. However had be booked Stokes then it would be regarded as having been seen and dealt with at the time. As he bottled it he has left the compliance officer with no option but to call Stokes to account.

JimBHibees
19-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Thomson reffed down to his usual standard. However had be booked Stokes then it would be regarded as having been seen and dealt with at the time. As he bottled it he has left the compliance officer with no option but to call Stokes to account.

He couldnt book him though as it could only be a red. Shocking the way that Provan the OF lackey was quick to exonerate Stokes, pathetic.

HONG KONG PHOOEY
19-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Even if the compliance officer does anything it does not help our game today. In fact it may hinder us. He may be banned for the Dunfy game during the week. Even at that maybe we should be dealing with the bad referees first. Banning a player after the event fine, but making the right decision at the time means they are down to 10 men for 45 mind and maybe gave us a chance. But there again the SFA do not want to blame their refs.

JimBHibees
19-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Even if the compliance officer does anything it does not help our game today. In fact it may hinder us. He may be banned for the Dunfy game during the week. Even at that maybe we should be dealing with the bad referees first. Banning a player after the event fine, but making the right decision at the time means they are down to 10 men for 45 mind and maybe gave us a chance. But there again the SFA do not want to blame their refs.

Yep seems to be coming a habit including the last derby where we would have been playing agaisnt 10 for 30 mins at 1-1 and lost.

Hibs Class
19-02-2012, 08:28 PM
He couldnt book him though as it could only be a red. Shocking the way that Provan the OF lackey was quick to exonerate Stokes, pathetic.

I agree. I sit towards the back of the east and only caught the incident peripherally, which is why I noted the time and it was the one thing I checked on the TV when I got home. It should have been a straight red, my point was only that by doing nothing at the time Thomson left the compliance officer free to cite.

Again, I agree. It's always the same with retrospective bans and even the suspension that follows a red card late in a match. However, if we are to eliminate thuggery from the game then dealing with incidents retrospectively using TV evidence is a start and may eventually weed out the cheats, like Stokes (and Brown.)

carlos70
19-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Surely "The best ref in Scotland" hasn't made a pig's ear of the major incident in the game following his last Hibs game at Pittodrie??!!

Hibby 2005
19-02-2012, 09:40 PM
But he never gave the stonewall penalty.

carlos70
19-02-2012, 09:47 PM
But he never gave the stonewall penalty.

That'll be two major decisions he's got wrong, then.. Point made.

truehibernian
19-02-2012, 09:47 PM
I thought the ref did not bad today. Missed a stonewall Celtic penalty despite being up with play though :greengrin

To be honest, it was an easy game to ref and the Stokes/Doherty incident for me was two committed players going for the ball with our boy coming off worse. Didn't see it as intentional then nor now.

As for Brown and play acting....it's part n parcel of football and always will be. Hibs, and our lads, need to grow a pair and stop whining about decisions like that.

One thing I do see in our team lately. When they go down after a challenge, if they don't get it there is a tendancy to stay down and plead, rather than get up onto your feet and chase back. Happened a couple of weeks ago with GOC a couple of times, happened today with Kujabi (and I think we lost second goal soon afterwards).

To moan about the ref today is to ignore the blaring frailties in the side and the performance, or lack of, from the players today IMHO.

Disc O'Dave
19-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Never mind, we'll all get a close look when they scrutinise it on Sportscene......

Oh, seems like it never even happened. Nice easy night for the Compliance officer then.:rolleyes:

marinello59
20-02-2012, 07:31 AM
I didn't catch what happened at the game yesterday but having replayed it on Sky it looked like an accident to me. His elbow was high but I didn't get the impression there was any intent.

jon paul jones
20-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Definately intentional. Let's see if the media make a fuss of it or not.

Hey Ronaldo

Interesting to see that the BBC believe in balanced reporting. Their match report quotes the following

"...Defender Matt Doherty was withdrawn at half time with a head knock after colliding with Anthony Stokes' elbow, but Fenlon thought it had been an accidental blow by the Celtic striker..."

"He got a few stitches and was a bit groggy, so we didn't want to put him back on the park," said the Hibs boss.

That and the fact that the BBC decided to not even include it on the highlights

Discuss

Danderhall Hibs
20-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Doherty was only groggy after the clash? What was wrong with him before that then?!

frazeHFC
20-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Complete accident.

Not read the thread, only first 2 posts, and i agree with this. :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
20-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Are people really defending Stokes? Seriously? Have a look at it again and tell me he's not thrown his elbow back.

Love how its been completely ignored in just about every report of the game aswell. Too busy frothing at the mouth about Celtic's performance to even bother mentioning our player getting elbowed in the head. :rolleyes:

You can guarantee if that was Griffiths doing that to Mulgrew we'd never hear the end of it.

BoltonHibee
20-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Are people really defending Stokes? Seriously? Have a look at it again and tell me he's not thrown his elbow back.

Love how its been completely ignored in just about every report of the game aswell. Too busy frothing at the mouth about Celtic's performance to even bother mentioning our player getting elbowed in the head. :rolleyes:

You can guarantee if that was Griffiths doing that to Mulgrew we'd never hear the end of it.

I'm defending him. It looks accidental to me, just watched it again. No malice at all.

3pm
20-02-2012, 06:25 PM
More to the point, £1.2m.....a mistake made in my view. Bad egg or not, his goals were worth more than that.

Eaststand
20-02-2012, 06:29 PM

:top marks

GGTTH

matty_f
20-02-2012, 06:33 PM
More to the point, £1.2m.....a mistake made in my view. Bad egg or not, his goals were worth more than that.

:agree: We have been on a fairly rapid downward trajectory ever since he left.

frazeHFC
20-02-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm defending him. It looks accidental to me, just watched it again. No malice at all.

Again, no point me posting anything else cos i completely agree with this. :agree:

Wotherspiniesta i hate Celtic, and therefore all their players, but i am defending him in this instance cos i honestly think it was an accident.

Wotherspiniesta
20-02-2012, 07:01 PM
I wonder if Doherty thinks it was an accident.

Despite what the commentators was saying at the game. " He's not that type of player " etc etc. Obviously forgotten about his tackle on N'Guemo at Celtic Park when he was at Hibs. Media (and Lennon) was all over that like a rash.

Oh and his lunge on Papac about a minute into an OF game.

JimBHibees
20-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I wonder if Doherty thinks it was an accident.
Despite what the commentators was saying at the game. " He's not that type of player " etc etc. Obviously forgotten about his tackle on N'Guemo at Celtic Park when he was at Hibs. Media (and Lennon) was all over that like a rash.

Oh and his lunge on Papac about a minute into an OF game.

You can clearly tell from his reaction how seething he was about it. It was also the reason it kicked off with the benches as the Hibs bench knew it was deliberate. IMO Fenlon only said after the game it was an accident as he realised who Celtc were playing next. Thomson's ignoring of it from a distance of 8 yards was shameful and tells you all you need to know about that plonker. Has he ever given Hibs a meaningful decision as I can think of a litany of big decisions against us. It is clearly deliberate IMO. If you are jumping for the ball you put your elbows out but you dont throw it back as Stokes did.

marinello59
20-02-2012, 08:39 PM
You can clearly tell from his reaction how seething he was about it. It was also the reason it kicked off with the benches as the Hibs bench knew it was deliberate. IMO Fenlon only said after the game it was an accident as he realised who Celtc were playing next. Thomson's ignoring of it from a distance of 8 yards was shameful and tells you all you need to know about that plonker. Has he ever given Hibs a meaningful decision as I can think of a litany of big decisions against us. It is clearly deliberate IMO. If you are jumping for the ball you put your elbows out but you dont throw it back as Stokes did.

Of course the player was angry, who wouldn't be. It proves nothing. The reason it kicked off between the benches is that initially Lennon and his sidekicks did not realise how badly hurt Doherty was and voiced disapproval at playing being stopped. Once Lennon saw the blood he put his hands up to admit he was wrong in response to the barracking he was getting from fans behind him. (Myself included.)
Stokes didn't throw it back, it was an accident which is why Pat Fenlon called it that way. Colin Nish regularly had fouls given against him because when he jumped he couldnt keep his elbows down. Are we to assume he was deliberately trying to elbow somebody in the face during every match? Stokes arm should not have been so high but there was no intent there at all.

JimBHibees
21-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Of course the player was angry, who wouldn't be. It proves nothing. The reason it kicked off between the benches is that initially Lennon and his sidekicks did not realise how badly hurt Doherty was and voiced disapproval at playing being stopped. Once Lennon saw the blood he put his hands up to admit he was wrong in response to the barracking he was getting from fans behind him. (Myself included.)

Stokes didn't throw it back, it was an accident which is why Pat Fenlon called it that way. Colin Nish regularly had fouls given against him because when he jumped he couldnt keep his elbows down. Are we to assume he was deliberately trying to elbow somebody in the face during every match? Stokes arm should not have been so high but there was no intent there at all.

We will need to agree to disagree personally think he did throw it back hence the very nasty cut, if his elbow has just been used to hold his position in the air there to me is no way that Doherty would have got the injury he did. As for Nish he did keep his elbows high again I cant remember anyone against him getting such a cut especially over the eye. Personally thought it was a very cheap shot from Stokes and should have been dealt with. Again I will contend Fenlon called it that way as he didnt want Stokes to miss the Pars game, that may be wrong of course. I actually think the Hibs bench did think it was deliberate hence the reaction.

Wotherspiniesta
21-02-2012, 12:52 PM
We will need to agree to disagree personally think he did throw it back hence the very nasty cut, if his elbow has just been used to hold his position in the air there to me is no way that Doherty would have got the injury he did. As for Nish he did keep his elbows high again I cant remember anyone against him getting such a cut especially over the eye. Personally thought it was a very cheap shot from Stokes and should have been dealt with. Again I will contend Fenlon called it that way as he didnt want Stokes to miss the Pars game, that may be wrong of course. I actually think the Hibs bench did think it was deliberate hence the reaction.

:agree:

It would be great if we could see it again, but the BBC have not seen fit to include it in the highlights :rolleyes:

I'll say it again, but if that was Griffiths doing that to a Celtic player you can guarantee there would be a whole lot more in the papers etc.

JimBHibees
21-02-2012, 01:03 PM
:agree:

It would be great if we could see it again, but the BBC have not seen fit to include it in the highlights :rolleyes:

I'll say it again, but if that was Griffiths doing that to a Celtic player you can guarantee there would be a whole lot more in the papers etc.

Of that there is no doubt.