PDA

View Full Version : Reform of Scottish football

Ozyhibby
19-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Much as I'm enjoying the recent troubles at Rangers, I thought I would take the time to write down some of the changes I believe the game should make while the opportunity is there to do so.
In the last ten years in Scottish football we have seen about half a dozen teams enter administration, with two not making it out again. It is likely that Rangers will follow those two, although a rebirth in some form is inevitable. They are not the only SPL club in difficulty with both Hearts and Dundee UTD struggling to make ends meet.
While much media comment has been made about Scottish football needing a strong rangers it also needs strong teams in Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen.
Here are some suggestions I think will make the game stronger.
1. Equal split of TV money. The current set up is a disaster for non old firm teams because not only do they get a lot less money (last year, Hibs £715k Rangers £2.3m) but they also suffer lower gates when the cameras visit them. Only old firm games are broadcast from either parkhead or ibrox.

2. A salary cap. There are two main reasons for introducing a salary cap.
a. To promote sporting parity
b. To control costs
In my opinion Scottish football could do with both right now.
25 years of old firm dominance has done nothing for our game in terms of producing better players or improving the standing of our league internationally.
Having 5 or 6 teams entering administration does nothing for our reputation either.
A salary cap set at around the £5m per season mark would have the benefit of allowing most of the SPL the chance of building a team that can challenge for trophies and allow clubs to control costs.
Set at this level, only the old firm would have to cut their cloth (Hearts will soon be under the £5m mark). Every other team will be able to carry on as normal.
Rangers and Celtic would still have an advantage in that they could both spend to the max of the cap every year and could operate bigger and better academy systems and hire better managers.
The ONLY downside is a loss of competitiveness at European level for the old firm but I think we have to sort out our own league first before worrying about the champions league.

3. Enlarge the SPL
The current size of the SPL is far to hard on clubs like Falkirk, pars, st. Johnstone, st. Mitten etc
The threat of relegation plays havoc with their finances and does not allow them the breathing space to bring through young players into their teams.
An enlarged SPL to 16 teams would also help bring about sporting parity.
Chairmen worried about the loss of income from less games should look to expand the league cup or bring in group stages for the early round of the Scottish.

All of these things are achievable if the majority of clubs want it to happen.
If Rangers are liquidated then the voting system in the league can be changed immediately and reform brought through for next season.
If rangers survive then the non old firm clubs would have to resign from the SPL and start fresh with new rules. The old firm would follow as they have nowhere else to go.
Or we could just carry on as we are and watch the league decline further with more administrations and zero competitiveness.