PDA

View Full Version : Urgent FAO Mike Riley Chairman Hibs Supporters

Cropley10
17-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Your comments in the Daily Record today have given the impression that Hibernian Football Club want Rangers to remain in the SPL, come what may.

I would politely suggest that your views are NOT representative of the Board of our Club.

Furthermore the economic argument and your suggestion that there were broadcasting implications don't bear scrutiny. The Celtic Board have already stated they don't need Rangers, but nobody seems to be listening.

The Scottish League was stronger when Rangers were weak. We have a once in a lifetime chance to change the landscape of Scottish football. If Rangers are to be reborn let them enter the SFL3, A debt free SPL new Rangers simply cannot be good for us.

cabbageandribs1875
17-02-2012, 03:45 PM
not saw the article but, not in my name mikey boy :wink:

hibee92
17-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Your comments in the Daily Record today have given the impression that Hibernian Football Club want Rangers to remain in the SPL, come what may.

I would politely suggest that your views are NOT representative of the Board of our Club.

Furthermore the economic argument and your suggestion that there were broadcasting implications don't bear scrutiny. The Celtic Board have already stated they don't need Rangers, but nobody seems to be listening.

The Scottish League was stronger when Rangers were weak. We have a once in a lifetime chance to change the landscape of Scottish football. If Rangers are to be reborn let them enter the SFL3, A debt free SPL new Rangers simply cannot be good for us.

:top marks

Captain Trips
17-02-2012, 03:52 PM

100%

Backto my roots
17-02-2012, 03:55 PM
100%

Judas Iscariot
17-02-2012, 03:57 PM

Top post :top marks

Captain Trips
17-02-2012, 03:58 PM

What have the board said about this?

neilmartinrocks
17-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Maybe off topic but i have had messages from a few tims on my facebook claiming that the Hibs Supporters assoc. have agreed to this Hibs \ Tic sing-a-long at sundays game. Is this the same guy?
For the record LET THEM DIE!! and NO CHANCE!!
:flag::flag::flag:

Saorsa
17-02-2012, 04:01 PM

The Scottish League was stronger when Rangers were weak. We have a once in a lifetime chance to change the landscape of Scottish football. If Rangers are to be reborn let them enter the SFL3, A debt free SPL new Rangers simply cannot be good for us.:top marks

Iggy Pope
17-02-2012, 04:01 PM
100%

:wink:
He is the latest in a line of self appointed 'spokesmen'.
I go back years with them and lost count of the number of green blazers who never went near Easter Rd.
I travelled for 20 years on a very well known bus and never ONCE seen our committee member on board. Lucky our Convenor was extremely high profile. (Extremely!)

Cropley10
17-02-2012, 04:05 PM

You have a PM on its way.

marinello59
17-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Maybe off topic but i have had messages from a few tims on my facebook claiming that the Hibs Supporters assoc. have agreed to this Hibs \ Tic sing-a-long at sundays game. Is this the same guy?
For the record LET THEM DIE!! and NO CHANCE!!
:flag::flag::flag:

Tell your "mate" that he is a **** stirring bawbag who should make something up that is actually believable.

Iggy Pope

Not a fan of the board is he? sat at the last AGM with a face like a melted welly and when he finally got his question in Petrie shot him to bits.

Jim44

You have a PM on its way. :confused:

I've also missed our Board's views on this issue.

lEXO
17-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Totally agree with Crops on this. Would also like to think that our board would stay silent on this subject. The hun love in by politicians and some football people is sickening.
As for sunday, i will be doing my normal thing, supporting Hibs and singing Hibs songs.

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Not seen the article, but this hibs supporter does not want anything to do with giving the impression i want them to stay in the spl. If he has said this, i'd like a vote of no confidence in Riley, he needs booted out ASAP.

marinello59
:confused:

I've also missed our Board's views on this issue.

Why would our board need to make a statement about another being in administration? All we could reasonably expect at this stage is a statement expressing the wish that things are sorted out soon.

Hibbylad86

Great post http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

green glory
17-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Would be interested to know the answer to this too.

Don't agree with this 'spokesman'. By corrupting the entire footballing establishment in Scotland Rangers have cheated every other club in Scotland. They've cheated the taxpayer. They are a disgrace to Scotland and it's proud history. A boil which needs to be lanced.

Time to start afresh. Let them die.

:flag:

cabbageandribs1875
17-02-2012, 04:18 PM
just out of curiosity, was mike riley ever in the hawkhill branch by any chance, not that it matters.....the name just rings a bell :greengrin

Cropley10
17-02-2012, 04:22 PM
To clarify I emailed a Board member to make my feelings known. I was pleased to receive a reply, which was inconsistent with Mr Riley's comments.

I'd suggest if others want the Board to know how they feel, they should write to them.

As someone above has said very well, our Board should remain publicly silent, until such time as they are needed to be heard.

neilmartinrocks
17-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Tell your "mate" that he is a **** stirring bawbag who should make something up that is actually believable.

aye thought it was a wind up.
-they still haven't forgiven me for the Lee Harvey Oswald banner a few years back.

dodemac
17-02-2012, 04:28 PM
I read this in the Record and immediately thought Gob*****.

jst1875
17-02-2012, 04:31 PM

:aok:

Andy74
17-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Is this the guy that made a statement about not wanting Fenlon as well??

You don't speak on behalf of me you numpty!!

cabbageandribs1875
17-02-2012, 04:38 PM
so, are we getting a link to the offending article, or not :rolleyes: dont make me have to buy the daily rantic :grr:

John_the_angus_hibby
17-02-2012, 04:42 PM
The guy is obviously a wally.

Sent from another universe!

BroxburnHibee
17-02-2012, 04:45 PM
What's he meant to do though - is he empowered to speak on behalf of the HSA?

Barney McGrew
17-02-2012, 05:24 PM

:agree:

He clearly has his finger on the pulse of what the support he represents want :fibber:

MCameron
17-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Top post. You don't represent me or any Hibby I've discussed this with Mr Riley.

If the unthinkable happens and the Huns are asking to be admitted into the SPL all other clubs need to tell them to GTF.

If they somehow manage to stay in the SPL due to Celtc voting for them we need to come together with fans of the other clubs and resign from the SPL enmasse. Construct a league without OF and bring some SFL teams onboard. It's only then we can hope to have a fairer chance of winning something.

gringojoe
17-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Lets hear what the Hibs fans who attend the match on Sunday think.

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2012, 05:28 PM
What's he meant to do though - is he empowered to speak on behalf of the HSA?

Did he ballot the membership on their thoughts before saying what he said, I think not? I'm pretty sure the majority of his membership will have the opposite view, and he should be brought to book over his statement.

RIP
17-02-2012, 05:30 PM
You could always go down the Hibs club tonight and call him names to his face I suppose :wink:

--------
17-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Is it possible that those of us who don't buy the Daily Rancid might see a link or even a cut-and-paste quote from the article in question?

What EXACTLY did this Mike Riley guy actually SAY?

jdships
17-02-2012, 05:34 PM

:top marks:agree:

Seveno
17-02-2012, 05:35 PM
I received this from Fife Hyland :

Thank you for your email and I have noted the strength of feeling amongst the Hibernian support over recent days.

The developments this week at Rangers is one for us all to be concerned about. The Club is closely monitoring what is an ever evolving situation that seems to change by the day.

Aside from wider issues they face, for Rangers not to pay over £9m in taxes over the past year - in terms of scale, an amount more than the annual turnover of Hibernian and any other Club in the SPL outside of the Old Firm - whilst we and others in the SPL operate in a diligent and sustainable manner, is deeply unfair from a sporting and business perspective. Especially if the other Clubs were to suffer due to the predicament Rangers now find themselves in.

We will of course act in the best interests of the Club and Scottish football if and when we are called upon to act.

Thank you again for sharing your concern and for writing in.

tamig
17-02-2012, 05:45 PM

You don't speak on behalf of me you numpty!!

It is Andy. Expressed his disappointment and implied a cheap appointment by the board iirc. He's certainly not representative of me or many others on here by the sound of things.

Seveno
17-02-2012, 05:57 PM
It is Andy. Expressed his disappointment and implied a cheap appointment by the board iirc. He's certainly not representative of me or many others on here by the sound of things.

Who elects people like this ? He sounds as big a moron as that Romanov apologist, Borthwick, of the Yams.

Irish_Steve
17-02-2012, 05:59 PM

Thank you for your email and I have noted the strength of feeling amongst the Hibernian support over recent days.

The developments this week at Rangers is one for us all to be concerned about. The Club is closely monitoring what is an ever evolving situation that seems to change by the day.

Aside from wider issues they face, for Rangers not to pay over £9m in taxes over the past year - in terms of scale, an amount more than the annual turnover of Hibernian and any other Club in the SPL outside of the Old Firm - whilst we and others in the SPL operate in a diligent and sustainable manner, is deeply unfair from a sporting and business perspective. Especially if the other Clubs were to suffer due to the predicament Rangers now find themselves in.

We will of course act in the best interests of the Club and Scottish football if and when we are called upon to act.

Fife`s been a busy boy - I got a reply much as along the lines of that above - mind you, it wasn`t a cut and paste job but isn`t far off it!

stubble
17-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Not seen the article, but if true, then shame on you Mike Riley.:grr: I for one would be glad to see the Scottish football landscape change forever. It is boring, predictable and utterly frustrating to watch Rangers and Celtic dominate, day in day out, year in year out. If Rangers demise leads to a stronger Hibs realistically challenging at the top end of the table, then why on earth would I want them saved? Don't dare give me clap trap about TV rights and monies.
:cb

tamig
17-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Who elects people like this ? He sounds as big a moron as that Romanov apologist, Borthwick, of the Yams.

The difference between the pair though is that the pish Borthwick spouts is probably a fair representation of how the Hertz support see things.

Seveno
17-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Fife`s been a busy boy - I got a reply much as along the lines of that above - mind you, it wasn`t a cut and paste job but isn`t far off it!

I've written to him twice now in recent weeks and received a reply within 24 hours. I'm impressed by the way our Board connect with the fans.

tamig
17-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I've written to him twice now in recent weeks and received a reply within 24 hours. I'm impressed by the way our Board connect with the fans.

You'll no be part of Keith Sands' gang then!

Springbank
17-02-2012, 06:05 PM

Well done Hibs Board.

This is good to hear.

It's certainly what I think, and here's hoping other major cheats (Hearts) are very very soon to follow Rangers out of the sport. Let's clean up sport in Scotland.

PeeJay
17-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Is it possible that those of us who don't buy the Daily Rancid might see a link or even a cut-and-paste quote from the article in question?

What EXACTLY did this Mike Riley guy actually SAY?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/02/17/seven-top-flight-clubs-don-t-think-spl-could-cope-without-rangers-86908-23754158/

The only link I could find - a paper version may have spun it differently...

"Hibernian: Mike Riley, chairman of the Hibs Supporters Association. “Yes, Scottish football needs Rangers and Celtic for the revenues, such as broadcasting, that they bring to the Scottish game.
“I would like to see Rangers survive, although it’s difficult to have sympathy given the ridiculous amounts they spent.
“Overall, it would be great to see the whole of Scottish football in good health, Rangers included. It would make our game all the better, from youth level right up to the full national team.”

HibeeMG
17-02-2012, 06:09 PM

That's a great reply. Thanks for posting it up.

It certainly hits the nail on the head without commenting on anything that would be regarded as speculation or gossip.

If you read between the lines, our board are rather annoyed and will seek the proper punishments as and when they are to be handed out.

The Green Goblin
17-02-2012, 06:14 PM

He'll be getting lots of emails on the same subject, no doubt. Do you really expect him to write a special one-off personal reply to everyone that writes to him about the same subject??

That the email you got was even any different to the quoted one proves he spent longer on it than he had to. The club's policy is clear so the email content will be the same for each reply. I think it's commendable that he took the time to write back to everyone in the first place.

--------
17-02-2012, 06:15 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/02/17/seven-top-flight-clubs-don-t-think-spl-could-cope-without-rangers-86908-23754158/

Thanks, PeeJay.

"Mike Riley, chairman of the Hibs Supporters Association. 'Yes, Scottish football needs Rangers and Celtic for the revenues, such as broadcasting, that they bring to the Scottish game.'I would like to see Rangers survive, although it’s difficult to have sympathy given the ridiculous amounts they spent.'Overall, it would be great to see the whole of Scottish football in good health, Rangers included. It would make our game all the better, from youth level right up to the full national team.'"

Seems a reasonably sensible comment to me. IMO it's not the presence of Rangers and Celtic, however obnoxious some of their fans may be, that's the problem - it's the way the SPL is set up to favour them and their interests. Without them? Hmmmm. Not sure about that.

Some of the other quotes are way worse than this, btw.

archiebald
17-02-2012, 06:23 PM
His pals will be reading this-and he or his pals will reply for him (eventually) :wink:

CraigHibee
17-02-2012, 06:26 PM
i want rangers to rot in their own sectarian cesspit :greengrin

Stevo1875
17-02-2012, 06:28 PM

:aok:

Carheenlea
17-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Reading the piece there, Mike Reilly appears to be giving his personal point of view, and not making a statement on behalf of the membership of the club.
In this instance though, Mr Reilly may have been better advised to take a leaf from our boards book and refrain from commenting on this particular topic, especially since his personal view seems to differ greatly to the views of the majority of Hibs supporters on this.

HibeeMG
17-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Reading the piece there, Mike Reilly appears to be giving his personal point of view, and not making a statement on behalf of the membership of the club.
In this instance though, Mr Reilly may have been better advised to take a leaf from our boards book and refrain from commenting on this particular topic, especially since his personal view seems to differ greatly to the views of the majority of Hibs supporters on this.

Like I said with his PF outburst, he has been approached because of his position with the HSA. His viewpoint is then perceived to be that of the HSA and of the wider Hibs support. Again, if an MP is asked his opinion then his answer will reflect on his party as a whole. Anything said by an employee of an organisation whilst at work would reflect on that organisation.

He needs to realise that his answers to questions will be perceived as the wider opinion and not his own personal viewpoint.

So in future, if he has nothing sensible to say then he should STFU!

Hibs Class
17-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Like I said with his PF outburst, he has been approached because of his position with the HSA. His viewpoint is then perceived to be that of the HSA and of the wider Hibs support. Again, if an MP is asked his opinion then his answer will reflect on his party as a whole. Anything said by an employee of an organisation whilst at work would reflect on that organisation.

He needs to realise that his answers to questions will be perceived as the wider opinion and not his own personal viewpoint.

Agree with this. He may well be chair of the HSA but that doesn't make him fans' chief, fans' spokesman, or representative of fans' views. Saying nothing would generally be his best option.

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Baldy Foghorn
17-02-2012, 07:10 PM

Snap.......:top marks

Jim44
17-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Agree with this. He may well be chair of the HSA but that doesn't make him fans' chief, fans' spokesman, or representative of fans' views. Saying nothing would generally be his best option.

Or at least add the rider that he is expressing his own personal point of view

Pretty Boy
17-02-2012, 07:32 PM

I wish this was printed in the Record instead.

Sums up my feelings perfectly.

MCameron
17-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Seems a bit strange that the chair of HSA should seem so far removed from the views being expressed almost unilaterally here - no?

Saorsa
17-02-2012, 07:34 PM
i want rangers to rot in their own sectarian cesspit :greengrin:top marks

HibbyKeith
17-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Hibernian: Mike Riley, chairman of the Hibs Supporters Association. “Yes, Scottish football needs Rangers and Celtic for the revenues, such as broadcasting, that they bring to the Scottish game.

“I would like to see Rangers survive, although it’s difficult to have sympathy given the ridiculous amounts they spent.

“Overall, it would be great to see the whole of Scottish football in good health, Rangers included. It would make our game all the better, from youth level right up to the full national team.”

Dont think it says or reffers anywhere in the above quote that it's the opinion of the HSA or that he is speaking on behalf of other hibs supporters, just that the person questioned is the chairman of HSA, Personally dont see much wrong with the comment made, seems a reasonable enough response, but if he had come out saying.. rangers are s**t, hope they die, we dont need them, there would be someone else on here slating him because that wasn't their opinion, and it reflected badly on hibernian football club or its supporters. pretty petty stuff, especially when you look at the other "support speaking" quotes from the other spl clubs and they are all pretty much along the same lines.

I personally would love rangers to go out the box, get relegated to the 3rd division and have to start from scratch, so we could even out the playing field regarding money distrubution for all the spl clubs.. thats my opinion, but i dont see any need to get upset about the comments made by another supporter regarding theirs.

semaj64
17-02-2012, 08:07 PM
One again its all about the old firm. Let us not forget that they would still move to the English leagues given half a chance. Willie Mckay said so on real radio phone on despite the huns going into admin that he thinks Rangers should still go down south.

They do not give a toss about the rest, look at the way they have used admin this to save their ass and not bother about paying the monies due to other clubs

RIP
17-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Maybe next time the internet assassins will read the article before they start calling the guy names.

If Rangers go down the lavvie pan, the TV deal may collapse. A few others clubs will fall over the cliff within 2 years - it's only the TV cash that's keeping them afloat

Can't see how that's good news and maybe Mike shares that view. Like Mike I am no Rangers apologist and I am revelling in their discomfort. But if they pull 6 other clubs down with them it will be really bad news for our national game

greenlex
17-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Maybe next time the internet assassins will read the article before they start calling the guy names.

If Rangers go down the lavvie pan, the TV deal may collapse. A few others clubs will fall over the cliff within 2 years - it's only the TV cash that's keeping them afloat

Can't see how that's good news and maybe Mike shares that view. Like Mike I am no Rangers apologist and I am revelling in their discomfort. But if they pull 6 other clubs down with them it will be really bad news for our national game

Disagree Gogs 40 senior clubs in a country our size is ludicrous. If they take a few with them it would be better in the long term for the clubs being properly run and financed and for football in this country in general. If they go tits up the whole set up needs looked at. What better time to expand the premier league without them and make them start in a lower league spreading more cash around the lower leagues.
Im all for liquidation and soon as you like. Hearts to follow quickly thank you very much.:agree:

RIP
17-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Disagree Gogs 40 senior clubs in a country our size is ludicrous. If they take a few with them it would be better in the long term for the clubs being properly run and financed and for football in this country in general. If they go tits up the whole set up needs looked at. What better time to expand the premier league without them and make them start in a lower league spreading more cash around the lower leagues.
Im all for liquidation and soon as you like. Hearts to follow quickly thank you very much.:agree:

I get the 40 club thing Lex but what I'm talking about is Perth without a club, Kilmarnock without a club, Dunfermline without a club, Paisley without a club. We are not just talking about the Div 2 and 3 clubs going tits up are we?

mca
17-02-2012, 08:55 PM

yeah - I cant help feeling that we need a massive CHANGE in the leagues and we need it - NOW !!!!!!

we cant all feel sorry for every rangers fan, mason, referee, judge, barrister and QC - in scotland...

ALF TUPPER
17-02-2012, 08:59 PM
If you go down to I-brox today
You're sure for a big surprise
If you go down to I-brox today
You'll never believe your eyes
Cause Super Ally has no cash
Soon no place to sing the sash
Today's the day the teddy bears have their pitch nicked !!

Seriously, .............. let this den of vile sectarian bile die.

If they are saved and rangers continue - let them start at the bottom of our leagues and earn the right to play in the SPL as WE are doing at present - earning the right.

(I dont know Mike but will just assume he has been misquoted or the reporters haven't alluded to the fact that any views expressed are Mikes own and not intended as that of the Hibs' Support). :cb

Anyhoo.......................... RFC RIP

ALF TUPPER
17-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Seen the article .............. admonished Mike. :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Not really sure about the 40 club point being of a any real relevance. Outwith the SPL and Div 1 most clubs are on a fairly even keel that is matched by their fairly modest outlook and aspirations. There are a shed load of junior teams as well that get decent crowds too. Three governing bodies for a country our size is however plainly nonsense. Maybe we should look at the organisations that take money out of football rather than the ones attempting to put money in.

DaveF
17-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I get the 40 club thing Lex but what I'm talking about is Perth without a club, Kilmarnock without a club, Dunfermline without a club, Paisley without a club. We are not just talking about the Div 2 and 3 clubs going tits up are we?

Rangers fold and you are certain that St Mirren, Kilmarnock and others would quickly follow? Complete speculation of course and backed up by nothing concrete, but you see it as fact.

It's fine though, because the huns will still be here in August, they'll still hold all the power with Celtc and they'll still be ****ing the rest of Scottish football over and over.

Iain G
17-02-2012, 09:40 PM

You forgot to mention Edinburgh with only one club in there :wink:

Northernhibee
17-02-2012, 09:51 PM
That new smilie arrived in perfect time. Here, Mikey boy: :giruy:

Kaiser1962
17-02-2012, 10:45 PM

Both the saints have spent lengthy spells in the first division and survived. As have the Pars. Killie, like a lot of clubs, are indebted to their owner's and not the TV companies.

I am with the OP on this one.

Albion Hibs
17-02-2012, 10:57 PM

Why are these views not representative of our board? I would suggest that our board do want Rangers to remain in the SPL. For any of the following reasons;

- They fill they away end every time they come to easter road,
- More of our own fans turn out every time they come to easter road
- Over the years selling players to them has kept us in the financial position we are in

It is all fair and well saying some fans want rid of them as it means we may, and I use that term loosly, have a better chance of.....finishing second?!

I would think losing 2 or 3 rangers away crowds at easter road each season would have serious implications to the funds we as a club have available. In addition what happens to TV money, without them they are not going to be that interested in the SPL as they dont have the other half of the old firm.

I am not for a minute saying I am happy about the implications of there situation, but I dont believe that celtic dont need them, and I dont think they think that either. Whilst they can never come out and say that of course they do.

IWasThere2016
18-02-2012, 03:50 AM
Why are these views not representative of our board? I would suggest that our board do want Rangers to remain in the SPL...

You clearly did not read the thread before your suggestion :wink:

Hibbyradge
18-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Division 2 and 3 clubs will be the least affected. In fact, if Rangers were forced to start again in Div 3, those clubs would benefit massively.

Cropley10
18-02-2012, 09:59 AM

There is no evidence whatsoever that without Ragers the TV deal goes down the pan. Mikes entitled to his opinion but I've not met another Hibee who thinks a strong Ragers are good for Scottish football.

Jack
18-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I know Mike personally, he's an ok guy.

He has told me often that when he is to be quoted in the media he makes it clear it is his opinion he is giving - that bit rarely gets quoted.

He knows there's no way he could express the views of all fans - jeez you should hear some of the debates that happen within every section and branch of the Hibs Club, its as heated and as varied as we get on here.

Like anyone who is a member of the Association he is able and has stood for office and been elected to that position by the membership.

Beefster
18-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Folk are really getting themselves upset over this?

"Someone quoted in the paper with their name in the same sentence as 'Hibs' has said something I disagree with. How very dare he."

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I know Mike personally, he's an ok guy.

He has told me often that when he is to be quoted in the media he makes it clear it is his opinion he is giving - that bit rarely gets quoted.

He knows there's no way he could express the views of all fans - jeez you should hear some of the debates that happen within every section and branch of the Hibs Club, its as heated and as varied as we get on here.

Like anyone who is a member of the Association he is able and has stood for office and been elected to that position by the membership.

He gave what looks to the ordinary fan in the street an opinion that looks like he supports the huns in their quest. He may not have meant it that way, but he's given an opinion that the rest of scottish football thinks is the hibs fans opinion.

Rightly or wrongly, Cowdenbeath or east fife fans now think this, as do the rest of Scotland who read his comments, and they are joind alongside Stewart McCall and the rest of them. Is it any wonder the media are going so softly on them if the think this is the wider view?

Jack
18-02-2012, 10:55 AM
He gave what looks to the ordinary fan in the street an opinion that looks like he supports the huns in their quest. He may not have meant it that way, but he's given an opinion that the rest of scottish football thinks is the hibs fans opinion.

Rightly or wrongly, Cowdenbeath or east fife fans now think this, as do the rest of Scotland who read his comments, and they are joind alongside Stewart McCall and the rest of them. Is it any wonder the media are going so softly on them if the think this is the wider view?

I’m not disagreeing with you. All I would say is that the record has probably trawled through a lot more than has been printed and are quoting only what they want to print from that so that it seems there's a broad swathe of opinion that wants to keep them going.

I don't think it would take any more than 10 minutes scanning supporter forums, like this one, to get a totally opposing view that the vast majority of supporters from around the country want them to shrivel up and die.

Edit: and apart from that you have to be careful what you say about them in the national media. A friend of mine, about 20 years ago, was deliberately named and misinterpreted by the record which led to days of phone calls through the night the entry phone buzzer being rung throughout the night and ultimately police protection. There's been a long history of nasty incidents. We also saw last season bullets being sent through the post.

Scouse Hibee
18-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Haha.............. Journalist earns his money again, very good at it so they are. :rolleyes:

hibbymac
18-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Newsflash, - BLACKPOOLHIBS, today stated, 'All Cowdenbeath fans, East Fife fans, ALL of Scottish Football, in fact the whole of Scotland, know that ALL Hibs fans are closet Teddy Bears after the comments of the Chairman of the Hibernian Supporters association made his views known. They all wish Rangers FC best wishes and can only hope for a much stronger Rangers side to bounce back into Scottish football' ......

:dunno:

Edit - this is not meant as a go at you BH :wink:

Scouse Hibee
18-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Newsflash, - BLACKPOOLHIBS, today stated, 'All Cowdenbeath fans, East Fife fans, ALL of Scottish Football, in fact the whole of Scotland, know that ALL Hibs fans are closet Teddy Bears after the comments of the Chairman of the Hibernian Supporters association made his views known. They all wish Rangers FC best wishes and can only hope for a much stronger Rangers side to bounce back into Scottish football' ......

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2012, 11:55 AM

You know thats not what i was meaning, his comments added to all the other old firm sympathisers adds to the perception the huns need help, and it adds to the media going soft on them.

If i was the spokesman for the HSA, there would have been no doubt where my loyalty lay. A short statement saying i want all clubs to play by the same rules, and if Hibs have managed to pay off their debt to the detriment of the team, i expect Rangers to do exactly the same.

hibbymac
18-02-2012, 12:00 PM
You know thats not what i was meaning, his comments added to all the other old firm sympathisers adds to the perception the huns need help, and it adds to the media going soft on them.

If i was the spokesman for the HSA, there would have been no doubt where my loyalty lay. A short statement saying i want all clubs to play by the same rules, and if Hibs have managed to pay off their debt to the detriment of the team, i expect Rangers to do exactly the same.

Now your getting there, try reading Jack's comments again. :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Now your getting there, try reading Jack's comments again. :rolleyes:

I have read them again, a few times. There was no need to fawn over them as he clearly did. Tell it as it is is my way, not say what you think they want to hear.:rolleyes:

hibbymac
18-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I have read them again, a few times. There was no need to fawn over them as he clearly did. Tell it as it is is my way, not say what you think they want to hear.:rolleyes:

Nae bother see you at Ibrox next week, mind yer sash.

MCameron
18-02-2012, 12:07 PM

Exactly. Seems to bw the feeling of many fans of other teams as well as fellow hibbys.

harry-hibee
18-02-2012, 01:04 PM
I did'nt see to much wrong in Mike Riley's comments and at the start of the week i was some what of the same opinion but what has happened since then, along with the comments and the club statement has made me change my opinion. In times of austerity other clubs in the SPL have had to cut cost's to live within their running cost's and Rangers actions have now been to the detrement of other member club,s in the league and for me that is discraceful and should be dealt with by more severe sanctions than has been imposed already.

Apparently Dunfermline owed £80,000, Dundee Utd owed £100,000, Hearts owed £800,000, money that is a kings ransom to these clubs and could be the diference to them holding on to top players at the end of the season whilst they in the meantime hold on to their high earners. As our board say's that the £9m tax bill exceeds our own turnover thus giving Rangers an unfair sporting and business advantage and this is coupled by weaking other club's by not being able to pay them the money due to them. A question that has been asked many times this week is can the SPL live without Rangers. I would now ask CAN THE SPL AFFORD TO KEEP RANGERS?

ekhibee
18-02-2012, 04:47 PM

Totally agree. If he's asked to give a comment about Hibs supporters opinions, he's sadly misguided if he believes that most Hibs fans agree with his point of view.

--------
18-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Thanks for that. I was looking for it in the Big thread and couldn't find it.

Good statement. :agree:

Chuck Rhoades
18-02-2012, 04:59 PM

I know someone close to Celtic's S.A Chairman and Mike Riley was quoted saying that ALL Hibs fans are looking forward to the 'party' and Hibs fans will be handing out balloons and streamers... I really hope this is a wind-up. I won't be joining in with any 'party' - I will be supporting Hibs.

Betty Boop
18-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I know someone close to Celtic's S.A Chairman and Mike Riley was quoted saying that ALL Hibs fans are looking forward to the 'party' and Hibs fans will be handing out balloons and streamers... I really hope this is a wind-up. I won't be joining in with any 'party' - I will be supporting Hibs.

When did Mike Reilly say this ? Do you have a link to this quote ?

fatbloke
18-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Getting hacked off with these rent a quote people trotted out to quote a supposed Hibs fans viewpoint. If these people are gonna do this can they please make it clear that it is their point of view only.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
18-02-2012, 11:30 PM

"Hibernian: Mike Riley, chairman of the Hibs Supporters Association. “Yes, Scottish football needs Rangers and Celtic for the revenues, such as broadcasting, that they bring to the Scottish game.

Seems like mikey boy enjoys an old firm reach around.

DH1875
18-02-2012, 11:36 PM
I think that maybe Mr Riley should be on the look out for a new job.

RIP
18-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Rangers fold and you are certain that St Mirren, Kilmarnock and others would quickly follow? Complete speculation of course and backed up by nothing concrete, but you see it as fact.

Typical of the pish you write - certain???.................fact???............ :wtf:?

I wis merely quoting public opinion as stated by a few informed pundits and club chairmen. Here's Geoff Brown....
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2012/02/18/greedy-ex-rangers-stars-must-share-the-blame-for-cash-crisis-at-ibrox-says-former-st-johnstone-chairman-geoff-brown-86908-23755032/

Whatever happened to freedom to post an opinion

alexedwards
19-02-2012, 10:28 AM
One again its all about the old firm. Let us not forget that they would still move to the English leagues given half a chance. Willie Mckay said so on real radio phone on despite the huns going into admin that he thinks Rangers should still go down south.

They do not give a toss about the rest, look at the way they have used admin this to save their ass and not bother about paying the monies due to other clubs

Tic/Gers or "west coast experts" always saying they want OF to move down south - trouble is nobody is listening. Years of back page Scottish media
headlines feom Lawwell and co about moving down south, however, the decision-makers - the EPL meet it with a "nice idea" if asked but behind the
scenes it's a case of "not bleedin likely", and after Manchester UEFA Cup Final - no chance.
Tic/Gers think it's a goer but nobody else does - saying it over and over again in Scotland's press won't make it happen in England.

Antifa Hibs
19-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Is this Mike character on here?

If so, did Scottish football need the Old Firm circa 10 years ago when the OFGTF campaign was launched?