PDA

View Full Version : Response From Media Manager RE: Song Choice At Easter Road

Chuck Rhoades
16-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Some will disagree with my original email, but it was an interesting response. Surprised that the support put the current playlist forward:-

My email:-

I anticipate that this will not be the correct email address to send this query to, but if it could be forwarded on it would be appreciated.

As part of a pro-active group within the Hibs support, Section 43, that encourage match day atmosphere and fully backing/supporting the players I have a couple of small concerns regarding the music played over the speakers during games at Easter Road.

Having read through various threads on message boards, discussions with members of the group and the general Hibs support – I feel I speak on behalf of the majority of them when saying this.

We really need more Hibs songs to be played before the game. Also at half-time. These songs get the fans in the mood. Every supporter enjoys different genres of music. Some really dislike the songs played, some do not mind them, and some actually enjoy the music. However – what we all have in common is that we are supporters of Hibernian Football Club.

Let’s hear; Glory Glory, Turnbull’s Tornadoes, Hibs Heroes, The Proclaimers classics before the game. Hibs released an album a couple of years back – it would be really easy to play this. I also feel Sunshine on Leith should be played just before the players come out for the second half. These songs shouldn’t be kept for special occasions. Hibs related songs so take up the majority of the pre-match and half-time music at EVERY GAME, regardless of our opponent.

I do not know if the tune that we play before the players come out is the players/managers choice? I highly doubt it anyway. Isn’t it from Brittan’s got Talent?!

I would be willing to put together a compilation of Hibs songs to play prematch for the DJ, although I would assume they already have them all.

Will this be changed going forward? As noted above, the vast majority enjoy Hibs songs, as after all, we are attending a Hibs match. They all get us in the mood and help the atmosphere of the games! I doubt this would take much effort to improve and hope you would be in agreement.

Response:-

Good Morning Ross

Thank you for your email.

I don’t know if you are aware but we have been discussing the match day playlist with members of The 12th Man for the past 2 seasons. The majority of the playlist that we received is still being used today with songs added as and when we receive requests from supporters.

The genre’s that we have been advised to stick to in the build up to each game are punk, indie, rock and dance – “T in the park type music”. The format that we have employed is to play songs within these genre’s until 15 mins before kick-off. After the emergency announcement we play Hector Nicol’s, Glory Glory to the Hibees and then 500 miles by the Proclaimers. We play Sunshine on Leith before the players run out at the bigger games as this is where it has most impact. The feedback we have received is that the impact of this song is lost by playing it every week.

The players have advised us that they would like an upbeat track to run out to, hence the reason for Nero being used last season and most recently The Prodigy’s - Invaders Must Die being reintroduced.

I would be keen to receive your playlist, the pre-match build up is a vital part of the matchday experience therefore anything suggestions you have to make this more appealing for supporters would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Russell

Sean1875
16-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Dont know if anyone else agrees with me here but id rather SOL was saved for special occasions. Adds to the atmosphere for me because of the fact it is only played at big special occasions i.e derbys and OF games. Would sort of dilute the importance and specialness of it if it was blasted out against a 10000 capacity crowd against Inverness with barely anyone getting involved. Just my opinion though :agree:

Andy74
16-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Kind of highlights that there seems to be competing groups here. You wrote saying you are part of section 43 and he replied saying he has been in discussions with the 12th man!

His points are all well made. Sunshine on Leith is a dirge in the wrong circumstances!

One thing I've noticed is that Baby Fratelli has been played at half time recently, despite quite an obvious sweary word in it! Not sure they are aware of this!

Chuck Rhoades
16-02-2012, 11:59 AM
If the players like the song they come out to then I am happy with that! Thought I would put an email to him anyway to see what the outcome was.

Fair and detailed reply. Also responded within a couple of hours.

frazeHFC
16-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah more Hibs songs would be good. I loved when Nero was played last season too. I preferred the music a few years back when they had older songs like Teenage Kicks, Alive and Kicking etc mixed in with songs from the Hibs CD.

muzzhfc
16-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Dont know if anyone else agrees with me here but id rather SOL was saved for special occasions. Adds to the atmosphere for me because of the fact it is only played at big special occasions i.e derbys and OF games. Would sort of dilute the importance and specialness of it if it was blasted out against a 10000 capacity crowd against Inverness with barely anyone getting involved. Just my opinion though :agree:

so the yams and the tic then? as those will be our biggest games soon. maybe even just the tic :wink:

hibsforeurope
16-02-2012, 12:09 PM
The Silencers - "I can Feel It" was always prity good when played before the games in the Mowbray era. Why did songs like this and teenage kick etc get dropped from the match day music list.

CropleyWasGod
16-02-2012, 12:10 PM
The Silencers - "I can Feel It" was always prity good when played before the games in the Mowbray era. Why did songs like this and teenage kick etc get dropped from the match day music list.

1. we stopped feeling it.

2. we stopped using teenagers.

3. JC wanted Simple Minds.

4. JC got simple minds :greengrin

frazeHFC
16-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Yeah that and the 2 i said got played every game. Wish they were all still played. :agree:

lyonhibs
16-02-2012, 12:13 PM
:hilarious:hilarious This has all got a bit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE

Here's a further revolutionary idea - save SOL for Hearts, Rangers and Celtic, but I'm only really fussed about it for Hearts. Maybe if a game is huge in the context of the season - relegation 6 pointer, chase for 3rd place (LOL) then play it. Otherwise, turn off the pop tunes, Lady GaGa etc etc 5/10 mins before kick off and give an atmosphere created purely by the supporters a chance to develop.

hibsforeurope
16-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Its all very well the players and managers choosing song they like or helps them to get fired up for the games. But with the record we currently have the tunes are clearly not working, let the fans choose, as the players choices have not made a difference. The tunes the fans want may make a difference to the atmosphere at games.

Saorsa
16-02-2012, 12:41 PM
I dinnae ken whae suggests the play lists but some of it is crap, I was in the stadium early last week and some of the music sounded mair like it should have been getting played at Blackpool tower.

CallumLaidlaw
16-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I remember when we used to play a dance song "you're a superstar" when we scored. I always thought an amplified version of the crowd just chanting "hibees hibees" would have been better for the atmosphere

People are different. When I go to goodison with my mate, he always likes to be there in time to hear Z cars being played. That's part of his match day experience. I'm sure there are people the same with SOL. I prefer it for big games tho

Golden Bear
16-02-2012, 12:52 PM
It's great to see a Hibs related thread on this week's Messageboard!

:thumbsup:

BroxburnHibee
16-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Afraid this has all came about since 12th man/Singingsection/Section 43 all seem to have gone their seperate ways.

To be honest I've no idea who is what nowadays - no coherent voice at all behind any of it.

As long as JC's 'Alive & Kicking' is never used again I'll be happy.

Must admit I like the Silencers tune getting belted out.

Gus Fring
16-02-2012, 01:10 PM
For me, one of the greatest pleasures in life is getting goosebumps hearing Sunshine on Leith and singing it with a few thousand mates. I don't want that feeling getting diluted by playing it every game.

As a side note I still watch the video on YouTube of us singing at the CIS Final. I don't do drugs and I very rarely drink but I dont think there's many better natural highs than I felt that day!

Speedway
16-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Could we recommend songs for the opposition to run out to each game?

Rangers - Gypsies Tramps and Thieves

Hearts - The Benny Hill Theme/Creep or something from Kidd A

Celtic - Anything by Plastic Bertrand

Etc.

Chuck Rhoades
16-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Afraid this has all came about since 12th man/Singingsection/Section 43 all seem to have gone their seperate ways.

To be honest I've no idea who is what nowadays - no coherent voice at all behind any of it.

Don't know how many times it needs to be explaned until people get it.

The Hibs 12th Man is everyone. Every man, woman and dug in the ground. We are all the '12th Man'.

Section 43 is the only group at ER who organise the displays etc.

Singing section is an area of the East the club highlighted for singers to sit.

Gogs put forward the playlist a few years back by the looks of it, he was the front of the Hibs 12th Man on behalf of the support.

Andy74
16-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Don't know how many times it needs to be explaned until people get it.

The Hibs 12th Man is everyone. Every man, woman and dug in the ground. We are all the '12th Man'.

Section 43 is the only group at ER who organise the displays etc.

Singing section is an area of the East the club highlighted for singers to sit.

Gogs put forward the playlist a few years back by the looks of it, he was the front of the Hibs 12th Man on behalf of the support.

The fact it needs explained constantly and the fact people have represented 'the 12th man' when really it is all of us (why call it something then) shows that there has not been clarity on this at all and that those involved use these things quite iterchangably themselves.

Case in point that you emailed Hibs quoting section 43 and they reply quoting 'the 12th man' as if they think that is a group which quite clearly it seems to be if people are making representations on its behalf.

frazeHFC
16-02-2012, 01:51 PM
The fact it needs explained constantly and the fact people have represented 'the 12th man' when really it is all of us (why call it something then) shows that there has not been clarity on this at all and that those involved use these things quite iterchangably themselves.

Case in point that you emailed Hibs quoting section 43 and they reply quoting 'the 12th man' as if they think that is a group which quite clearly it seems to be if people are making representations on its behalf.

I do remember a thread on here though that asked about song choice a while back, and then this view was sent to the club. So we all had the chance to input, it wasn't just a group of people, so collectively everyone did have their own say.

mutley
16-02-2012, 02:16 PM
For me, one of the greatest pleasures in life is getting goosebumps hearing Sunshine on Leith and singing it with a few thousand mates. I don't want that feeling getting diluted by playing it every game.As a side note I still watch the video on YouTube of us singing at the CIS Final. I don't do drugs and I very rarely drink but I dont think there's many better natural highs than I felt that day!Ditto. SOL should be for the big games. IN the East last time as everyone around me all belted it out was a fantastic feeling, ANdd as for that day at Hamden..............maybe soon to be replicated ? Oh I hope so.

Andy74
16-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I do remember a thread on here though that asked about song choice a while back, and then this view was sent to the club. So we all had the chance to input, it wasn't just a group of people, so collectively everyone did have their own say.

"I don’t know if you are aware but we have been discussing the match day playlist with members of The 12th Man for the past 2 seasons"

The club seem to think this is a group and they have had ongoing discussions with them.

No-one can clain that the 12th man is just all of us then we have someone I've no knowledge of going to talk the club on 'our' behalf.

1two
16-02-2012, 02:44 PM
:hilarious:hilarious This has all got a bit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE

Here's a further revolutionary idea - save SOL for Hearts, Rangers and Celtic, but I'm only really fussed about it for Hearts. Maybe if a game is huge in the context of the season - relegation 6 pointer, chase for 3rd place (LOL) then play it. Otherwise, turn off the pop tunes, Lady GaGa etc etc 5/10 mins before kick off and give an atmosphere created purely by the supporters a chance to develop.

That would be brilliant if it worked.

They should experiment it at the next hearts game at home.

No music for 5 or so minutes before the players come out possibly with the silence being broken with sunshine on leith a minute or so before the players came out?

lyonhibs
16-02-2012, 03:49 PM
That would be brilliant if it worked.

They should experiment it at the next hearts game at home.

No music for 5 or so minutes before the players come out possibly with the silence being broken with sunshine on leith a minute or so before the players came out?

Well the plan would be that it wouldn't be silent, more a wall of noise :greengrin It irritates me that instead of Hibs fans singing Hibs songs, we get treated to the latest Beyonce hits or whatever before the match and after we score.

S.sct
16-02-2012, 04:37 PM
To be honest I would not appreciate listening to club songs every week. Most are dated and tiered. Although I'm not in early enough to hear the pre match stuff I'm fairly happy with what is played at half time. Pretty happy also with the response to your e-mail, they have listened (be it to the 12th man) and acted accordingly.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-02-2012, 07:45 PM

It simple - it's like the people's front of Judea .... What do you mean the Judean people's front!!?

Mibbes Aye
16-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I think I can see both sides of the argument re SOL. Most of us can think back to 2007 and just how special it felt - gratuitous link here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8&feature=related) :greengrin and it seems right to give it a certain significance by saving it for 'big' games.

On the other hand - while we're not Liverpool (and never going to match the size of their support), I don't think "You'll Never Walk Alone" loses anything by getting trotted out every home game. If anything, it seems to get bigger when they do have crunch games.

:dunno:

Hibernia Na Eir
16-02-2012, 09:42 PM
deary dear!

so T in the Park stuff is 'trendy' then and thats what we have to listen to?

Sad times.

CraigK
16-02-2012, 09:52 PM
We should play Wagner. Imagine the team running out to Ride Of The Valkyries to a packed stadium.

JennaFletcher
16-02-2012, 10:04 PM
The music is terrible. Not only that but they're often pretty poor when it comes to the technical stuff too - often the music is not merged well like a good DJ would do and it sometimes cuts off randomly during the song for another to be played.

I don't understand the need to play the SAME non-Hibs related songs every week? It just gets grating.

I quite like the songs they play before American Football games... I'd go for Foo Fighters personally... All My Life :aok: but not everytime, could mix in a bit of Black Sabbath, Led Zep, RHCP etc :agree:

s.a.m
16-02-2012, 10:18 PM
deary dear!

so T in the Park stuff is 'trendy' then and thats what we have to listen to?

Sad times.

:agree:

Clearly, I'm just getting auld, but I wish they'd ******* STOAP IT with the loud music - T in the Park or otherwise - and leave us in peace! I'm happy for them to play a team anthem, whatever it is, and as loudly as they like, but I don't go to the football to stand in silence, deafened by the noise, staring into the middle distance, and wiggling my hips (or whatever is the tasteful thing to do in these circumstances nowadays). I'd quite like to be able to speak to my neighbours without having to spit into their ears. Or even stand / sit in silence. If I wanted T in the Park, I'd pit oan my wellies and go to ******* Perthshire, no the ******* fitba!

And I can't do a ******* heidbangin' smilie, cos' my ******* 'more' smilies have ******* disappeared!!!!

Irish_Steve
16-02-2012, 11:12 PM
I would love the team to run out to "I fought the Law" by The Clash, if not that, then It`s Alive by The Ramones - you could get through the first half dozen songs by the time the team got to the centre circle!

blackpoolhibs
16-02-2012, 11:35 PM

:agree: Great song.

frazeHFC
16-02-2012, 11:41 PM
They first played Teenage Kicks cos it was the favourite song of a player who passed away i think. What player was it again?

Irish_Steve
16-02-2012, 11:58 PM
They first played Teenage Kicks cos it was the favourite song of a player who passed away i think. What player was it again?

Didnt they play it as a tribute to John Peel shortly after his death - some blokes of a certain age seem to be leaking from their eyes as it was being played!

cabbageandribs1875
17-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Liam o'sullivan maybe

Thomson1875
17-02-2012, 02:10 AM
The silencers - I can feel it & Teenage Kicks are 2 songs that should be re-introduced.

How about Ghost Town by the specials :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI&ob=av2e

frazeHFC
17-02-2012, 02:17 AM
:hilarious

And yeah dunno who it was that passed away that liked Teenage Kicks, may have been 1 of the 2 mentioned, i always thought it was on old player who died but not too sure. Just remember that, I Can Feel It and Alive and Kicking being the constant songs at ER. Good song choice, a winning team, those were the days! :wink:

AgentDaleCooper
17-02-2012, 04:43 AM
i've always thought knights of cydonia by muse would be pretty epic - it's exciting and rousing anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sBOsh-vyI&ob=av3e

Lucius Apuleius
17-02-2012, 05:07 AM
:agree:

Clearly, I'm just getting auld, but I wish they'd ******* STOAP IT with the loud music - T in the Park or otherwise - and leave us in peace! I'm happy for them to play a team anthem, whatever it is, and as loudly as they like, but I don't go to the football to stand in silence, deafened by the noise, staring into the middle distance, and wiggling my hips (or whatever is the tasteful thing to do in these circumstances nowadays). I'd quite like to be able to speak to my neighbours without having to spit into their ears. Or even stand / sit in silence. If I wanted T in the Park, I'd pit oan my wellies and go to ******* Perthshire, no the ******* fitba!

And I can't do a ******* heidbangin' smilie, cos' my ******* 'more' smilies have ******* disappeared!!!!

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:: agree::agree:

Having heard of virtually none of the bands being put forward here I am 100% behind you. I actually find myself going in later and later so as I don't have to listen to it. It is not a music concert it is a bloody football match and should be treated accordingly.

At The Edge
17-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Would love to Hibs to come out to this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZZch5uDNks

Change the 'Angus' chant to 'Hibees and if the DJ times it right they'll just head onto the pitch as the full song kicks in.

Should get the terraces rocking and up for it! :thumbsup:

yekimevol
18-02-2012, 03:44 AM
I think sunshine on leith should be sung before every match, with every person in easter road when the players come out. It should be our version of Liverpool: You'll Never Walk Alone, Bluemoon at man city, west ham with bubbles.

teams should know were they are and be in fear. Just like paddy said today, we need to get the fear factor back in easter road for the away teams !