PDA

View Full Version : Rangers in a 16 team league

StevieC
16-02-2012, 10:02 AM
The fan pressure for a 16 team league seemed to be quite substantial, the pressure to throw Rangers out of the SPL seems to be equally substantial.

The question is ..

Would you be willing to allow a liquidated Rangers back into the SPL if it was increased to 16 teams?

ps I have a feeling that increasing the league size (to 14 but still with 4 games and split) might well be an alternative to get Rangers back into the SPL.

blackpoolhibs
16-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Personally i believe they have to start again at the bottom if they are liquidated. Football in Scotland has a great chance to structure itself in a much fairer way should that happen, and perhaps has to get back to basics, even go backwards before it can go forward again?

Hibercelona
16-02-2012, 10:12 AM
They can GTF

pentlando
16-02-2012, 10:13 AM
They've got to start at the bottom, they can't be given preferential rights over Livingston and Gretna. The size of the club and support (if it remains) means they should coast back to the SPL in no time, but those 3 years at least spent in the lower leagues is at least some sort of rehabilitation if you like.

Mikey
16-02-2012, 10:13 AM
As mentioned on the PM Board, don't be too surprised to see SPL1 & SPL2 announced fairly soon, with Rangers starting out in SPL2.

StevieC
16-02-2012, 10:18 AM
As mentioned on the PM Board, don't be too surprised to see SPL1 & SPL2 announced fairly soon, with Rangers starting out in SPL2.

Announcing it is one thing, getting it passed is another.

What advantage/improvement to the current 12 team set up would an SPL 2 bring??

Mikey
16-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Announcing it is one thing, getting it passed is another.

What advantage/improvement to the current 12 team set up would an SPL 2 bring??

Rangers :wink:

Billie Jo
16-02-2012, 10:53 AM
No, get thum tae ****, **** :aok:

Stevo1875
16-02-2012, 10:54 AM
ive always been up for both rangers and celtic leaving the league... would be such an anti climax if it was only rangers that got punted.

whats the chances of them joining the lower league in england instead of our own... which would bring much richer rewards in the long run? and then celtic being forced to join them or die a slow death up here?!

The Sea-gull
16-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Not sure what the official SPL stance is when a team goes out of business as this has never happened before. Gretna were relegated before they went bust so effectively became the SFL's problem.

They may invite teams to apply for the vacant position in which case any "Ashes/Phoenix" Rangers club could apply to join and I could see why some clubs might want this as any new Rangers club will probably get followed by the majority that follow the current version of Rangers so will have the fans behind it if not much £ to begin with. Would suit the tv deal and clubs would still get their big pay days when Rangers visit - all clubs benefit from this financially but I believe all teams barring Celtic, Hibs, Hearts and Dundee Utd rely on it, those mentioned don't because in Celtic's case they have many other forms of revenue, Hibs and Hearts have the derby crowds and Utd have the visit of Aberdeen.

If they did this, it would mean the top team in the division 1 gets promoted and then the last place goes up for application with New Rangers being accepted.

If they go bust, they could just scrap relegation and save the bottom team (this option may yet suit us!!!!) and invite the div 1 champs to join the league as per normal and then the vacancy falls with the SFL who would probably invite teams to apply to join div 3. Any new Rangers club may apply for this place and would probably be competing with Spartans, Gala Fairydean and some other non-league teams for the place. Would imagine if all was in place the Rangers club would get in and probably be able to get back to the SPL via promotion in three years. If it does come to it, I hope this is what happens as a precedent needs to be set to show that you don't just get your SPL place back that easy.

Watch this space though. Ross County have until 31st March to prove their ground is SPL compliant should, as looks likely, they win div 1. What is the betting they are told it is not, advised for some reason they cannot ground share with ICT, SPL announces that there no relegation from the league and no promotion from div 1 resulting in a place being available for Rangers in what ever form they end up taking.

If Rangers fold, the people behind the new club may seek to ignore Scottish football altogether and apply to join a league in England or perhaps buy the terms of struggling club (Darlington spring to mind). It would be the irony of all ironies if a team that is basically Glasgow Rangers ends up playing in the English top flight in a few years while Celtic are still in the SPL moaning about how they can't get past the Champs league qualifying round played in early June coz the SPL is so uncompetitive.

Cocohibby
16-02-2012, 11:23 AM
ive always been up for both rangers and celtic leaving the league... would be such an anti climax if it was only rangers that got punted.

whats the chances of them joining the lower league in england instead of our own... which would bring much richer rewards in the long run? and then celtic being forced to join them or die a slow death up here?!

I have long thought that this would be a possible outcome. :agree:

Saorsa
16-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Bottom of the bottom is where they should start.

CallumLaidlaw
16-02-2012, 11:33 AM
If it meant an 16/18 team league, even split of tv money, and some kind of wage cap, then I would grudgingly accept them back in.

All this talk of the rest of Scotland needing them tho, it's them that are in real danger of liquidisation, not us!!

jodjam
16-02-2012, 12:28 PM
My view is we need a bigger top league, even if the wealth is spread. Long term it will get rid of the fear factor for some clubs and talent can flourish. Also a switch to summer football which may get TV companies interested.

The down side to this is I have it on very good authority that the current deal has a clause in it that specifies 4 OF games a season. Could Rangers plight lead to this clause being altered? No idea but my gut feeling is the status quo will remain with the OF still dictating the terms.

jonty
16-02-2012, 12:37 PM
They've broken the law, **** them. The can go out of business as far as I'm concerned.
They shouldnt get any preferential treatment that other new teams would get.

mutley
16-02-2012, 12:38 PM
They've got to start at the bottom, they can't be given preferential rights over Livingston and Gretna. The size of the club and support (if it remains) means they should coast back to the SPL in no time, but those 3 years at least spent in the lower leagues is at least some sort of rehabilitation if you like.That sums it up for me, can't agree more

HibbyAndy
16-02-2012, 12:39 PM
They've broken the law, **** them. The can go out of business as far as I'm concerned.

Spot on.

Huns GTF.

basehibby
16-02-2012, 12:53 PM
The fan pressure for a 16 team league seemed to be quite substantial, the pressure to throw Rangers out of the SPL seems to be equally substantial.

The question is ..

Would you be willing to allow a liquidated Rangers back into the SPL if it was increased to 16 teams?

ps I have a feeling that increasing the league size (to 14 but still with 4 games and split) might well be an alternative to get Rangers back into the SPL.

The two issues are totally unconnected so there is NO reason why the introduction of a larger SPL should have any bearing on a decision to require a wholy new football club to start at the bottom and work their way up in Scottish Football (unless they increased it to 42 clubs of course).

However, it would mean that the New Huns FC or whatever would most likely have a shorter absence from the SPL of 2 seasons instead of 3 - so I'd fully expect all the old firm sycophants in the media and poiticians trying to curry favour amongst the bigot bros, to throw their weight behind SPL expansion in the event of justice being done and a Rangers Pheonix club having to start at the bottom like anyone else would.

Geo_1875
16-02-2012, 01:31 PM
If they come back as a new club they should have to find a league to take them in. Whether that's Junior, Amateur or somebodies work's team doesn't matter. The SPL and SFL rules don't allow for automatic access to their leagues.

If they want a way back into top flight football they should consider the English pyramid system and join the North-West section of Division 7 of the DM League or whatever it's called nowaday's. They should make it into the EPL in about 40 years. Except they would have to move their home to Englandshire I believe.

F£%& them all. I would rather they were liquidised than liquidated.

blairwallace
16-02-2012, 02:21 PM
would this mean we can invite Gretna back into this new SPL because if rangers are allowed to stay in the SPL then surely so shoul Gretna? :confused:

Alan Thomson
16-02-2012, 02:41 PM
The other clubs must take this opportunity to play hard-ball with the Huns (& Celtic) and tell them that they now need us more than we need them.
Let them join in at 3rd Division which would help the lower teams for a few years whilst they work their way up to SPL but only let them in SPL if TV cash is shared evenly.
The Weegie media tell us that we need them to get a decent TV deal but that's bullocks because these two get the major slice of the money so we're better with a bigger share of a smaller pot.
But have the other clubs got the balls to stand up to them?

EuanH78
16-02-2012, 02:47 PM

I like the cut of your jib :agree:. Agree.

Brummie_Hibs
16-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I think an even distribution of television money and fairer voting rights within the SPL are more important than a 16 team league.

....and less sycophantic coverage of the Old Firm in the Scottish media.

But we will just have to get used to the fact that it'll be back to the usual status quo as nothing will change and Rangers will not drop out the league. And if so, I pledge never to go to another Scottish league match again.

alfie
16-02-2012, 02:58 PM

It's a nice idea, but I cant see it happening without Celtc going with them. They need each other, if for no other reason than for OF matches and their related TV coverage and sponsorship.

Unless they already have a plan that includes Celtc...

Phil MaGlass
16-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Not sure what the official SPL stance is when a team goes out of business as this has never happened before. Gretna were relegated before they went bust so effectively became the SFL's problem.

They may invite teams to apply for the vacant position in which case any "Ashes/Phoenix" Rangers club could apply to join and I could see why some clubs might want this as any new Rangers club will probably get followed by the majority that follow the current version of Rangers so will have the fans behind it if not much £ to begin with. Would suit the tv deal and clubs would still get their big pay days when Rangers visit - all clubs benefit from this financially but I believe all teams barring Celtic, Hibs, Hearts and Dundee Utd rely on it, those mentioned don't because in Celtic's case they have many other forms of revenue, Hibs and Hearts have the derby crowds and Utd have the visit of Aberdeen.

If they did this, it would mean the top team in the division 1 gets promoted and then the last place goes up for application with New Rangers being accepted.

If they go bust, they could just scrap relegation and save the bottom team (this option may yet suit us!!!!) and invite the div 1 champs to join the league as per normal and then the vacancy falls with the SFL who would probably invite teams to apply to join div 3. Any new Rangers club may apply for this place and would probably be competing with Spartans, Gala Fairydean and some other non-league teams for the place. Would imagine if all was in place the Rangers club would get in and probably be able to get back to the SPL via promotion in three years. If it does come to it, I hope this is what happens as a precedent needs to be set to show that you don't just get your SPL place back that easy.

Watch this space though. Ross County have until 31st March to prove their ground is SPL compliant should, as looks likely, they win div 1. What is the betting they are told it is not, advised for some reason they cannot ground share with ICT, SPL announces that there no relegation from the league and no promotion from div 1 resulting in a place being available for Rangers in what ever form they end up taking.

If Rangers fold, the people behind the new club may seek to ignore Scottish football altogether and apply to join a league in England or perhaps buy the terms of struggling club (Darlington spring to mind). It would be the irony of all ironies if a team that is basically Glasgow Rangers ends up playing in the English top flight in a few years while Celtic are still in the SPL moaning about how they can't get past the Champs league qualifying round played in early June coz the SPL is so uncompetitive.

Excellent :thumbsup:

DH1875
16-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Nope, duck them. Even with a 16 team league they should have to start from the bottom.

hibsfan7
16-02-2012, 03:44 PM
No way let them start at the bottom of division 3 just move every team up 1 position

:hibees:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

Alan Thomson
16-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Wegie Media keep telling us how much we need them but when they were trying their hardest to escape to England nobody was concerned if we needed them or not! Get them tae france!