PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Teves/ Steven Fletcher

Hibbyradge
15-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Surely, if there's a possible way back for Teves at Man City after his outrageous and disrespectful behaviour, Levein will be able to swallow his pride and welcome the best Scottish striker back into the fold?

I can't even remember what he did to get sidelined!

Andy74
15-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Surely, if there's a possible way back for Teves at Man City after his outrageous and disrespectful behaviour, Levein will be able to swallow his pride and welcome the best Scottish striker back into the fold?

I think the original incident has been a little forgotten and more of a slant towards the player's side has taken place.

He sent a text to an SFA staff member saying he didn't want to be considered for the squad.

Since then its been suggested he meant the one game and also as he was informed by text he thought he'd reply by text etc.

Clearly Levein seems to be under the impression that Fletcher has indicated that he didn't want to play for Scotland and that it's now up to him to indicate otherwise.

Much as I think Levein is a numpty I'm probably with him on this one. He'll say why should he make a move - the last move he made was to name him a squad and Fletcher refused the place.

Managers at any level and in any job need to have some principles and authority.

Saorsa
15-02-2012, 04:43 PM
I think the original incident has been a little forgotten and more of a slant towards the player's side has taken place.

He sent a text to an SFA staff member saying he didn't want to be considered for the squad.

Since then its been suggested he meant the one game and also as he was informed by text he thought he'd reply by text etc.

Clearly Levein seems to be under the impression that Fletcher has indicated that he didn't want to play for Scotland and that it's now up to him to indicate otherwise.

Much as I think Levein is a numpty I'm probably with him on this one. He'll say why should he make a move - the last move he made was to name him a squad and Fletcher refused the place.

Managers at any level and in any job need to have some principles and authority.where were his principles when he went crawling efter disgraced huns?

Andy74
15-02-2012, 04:45 PM
where were his principles when he went crawling efter disgraced huns?

I think the difference is that they were disciplined before he arrived and he gave everyone a fresh chance under his management.

I think this shows even more clearly that Levein would have no problem offering Fletcher a route back in if he felt that the ball was in his court to make a move.

Saorsa
15-02-2012, 04:47 PM
I think the difference is that they were disciplined before he arrived and he gave everyone a fresh chance under his management.

I think this shows even more clearly that Levein would have no problem offering Fletcher a route back in if he felt that the ball was in his court to make a move.and I think that's bollocks so we'll agree tae disagree

Hibstrooper
15-02-2012, 05:17 PM

Managers at any level and in any job need to have some principles and authority.

Text gate was just an excuse for Levein to bomb Fletcher out the team after he criticised him following the Czech shambles. Do you honestly think that every player that pulls out a squad contacts the manager directly?

Levein is a stubborn twat and we are the ones paying the price by missing out on one of the best strikers Scotland has produced in generations.

frazeHFC
15-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I am always going to be biased on Fletch's side and blame everything possible on Levein cos he's a ****. Don't care how they resolve it but we need him back!

and I think that's bollocks so we'll agree tae disagree

Straight to the point as ever i see. :greengrin

Seveno
15-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Text gate was just an excuse for Levein to bomb Fletcher out the team after he criticised him following the Czech shambles. Do you honestly think that every player that pulls out a squad contacts the manager directly?

Levein is a stubborn twat and we are the ones paying the price by missing out on one of the best strikers Scotland has produced in generations.

I agree 100%. The more goals that Fletch scores, the more that Potter looks an arrogant twat.

clerriehibs
15-02-2012, 06:12 PM

He dissed Harry Potter in Harry Potter's fantasy world.

clerriehibs
15-02-2012, 06:14 PM

I think this shows even more clearly that Levein would have no problem offering Fletcher a route back in if he felt that the ball was in his court to make a move.

Ahhh ... so Harry Potter is prohibited from naming Fletch in a Scotland squad?

Andy74
15-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Ahhh ... so Harry Potter is prohibited from naming Fletch in a Scotland squad?

If Fletcher asked not to be considered and he hasn't reversed that yet then yes. Naming him in a squad if he hasnt indicated he wants to play now would undermine him as manager.

Not often I would side with Levein but I do see his point on this one and if it wasn't an ex Hibs player and an ex Hearts manager involved a few more would soon see another side to it too I'd expect.

Scott Allan Key
15-02-2012, 08:31 PM

Lest we forget, Levein also made a snide remark about Fletcher's ability, something along the lines of not 'hanging his hat' on Fletcher's ability as an quality striker. This gives weight, I believe to suggestions that Levein is taking petty revenge for Fletcher's criticism of his failed tactics against the Czechs.

clerriehibs
15-02-2012, 08:38 PM
If Fletcher asked not to be considered and he hasn't reversed that yet then yes. Naming him in a squad if he hasnt indicated he wants to play now would undermine him as manager.

Not often I would side with Levein but I do see his point on this one and if it wasn't an ex Hibs player and an ex Hearts manager involved a few more would soon see another side to it too I'd expect.

Fletch asked not to be considered for one game. He has publicly said that, and that he's been available ever since.

Potter has never disputed the "for one game" claim; he chooses to ignore it. Potter took the huff because Fletch also queried Potter's tactics v. the czech republic, as did the rest of the footballing world. Potter won't publicly admit that he's in the huff, but he wants Fletch to be seen to be begging forgiveness.

So Fletch suffers because Potter is an arrogant, idiotic, clueless tramp with a violent streak. A playground bully, to tell the truth.

Holmesdale Hibs
15-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Both parties have been at fault and it's time one of them ended this stale mate.

I guess Levein needs Fletcher more than Fletcher needs Levein, and so Levein should make the first move. Part of a managers job is dealing with stroppy footballers with big egos so, whether potter likes it or not, if he wants the strongest squad of players then he has sort this out.

What Tevez did is a lot worse in my opinion, and Man City don't need him. If I was a Man City fan I'd want him to GTF

Don Giovanni
15-02-2012, 09:12 PM

To put that original incident into context: Steven Fletcher was fed up being called up to the Scotland squad, travelling to matches and then not being given any game time (despite being perhaps the most talent Scottish striker available). The Czech Republic debacle, in which our esteemed manager chose to play ZERO strikers against our closest qualifying opponents, was absolutely worthy of criticism - I would have sacked him for that alone!

Then as Steven Fletcher is recovering from injury Levein calls him up to pointless competition in Dublin, whilst Fletchers club are desperately trying to stave off relegation from the Premiership. Fletcher made the obvious and correct decision to help his club survive and asked not to be considered for the meaningless trip. IIRC Fletcher was called up by text and responded in kind.

Levein takes this and the valid criticism of his tactics as a refusal to play for the nation and has maintained his pathetic, petty huff ever since.

Make no mistake, the blame lies solely with Levein.
The man is a total bellend.

PISTOL1875
15-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Here we go again...

Can we please not have another 13685302439 page thread on this ?

The facts are simply , IF Fletcher wants to play for Scotland again then he must get in touch with Levien...Nothing will change until SF contacts Levien...

Patatango
16-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Fletch asked not to be considered for one game. He has publicly said that, and that he's been available ever since.

Potter has never disputed the "for one game" claim; he chooses to ignore it. Potter took the huff because Fletch also queried Potter's tactics v. the czech republic, as did the rest of the footballing world. Potter won't publicly admit that he's in the huff, but he wants Fletch to be seen to be begging forgiveness.

So Fletch suffers because Potter is an arrogant, idiotic, clueless tramp with a violent streak. A playground bully, to tell the truth.

Fletch aint the only one that's suffering because of leviens stubborness!

He's the manager and should manage the situation.
If that means publicly naming Fletch in the squad and puttin the ball in his court then so be it. I only want players that actually want to play for Scotland in the team and i wouldnae mind a definative answer on why one of our best players (in my opinion) isnae in the team.

Lucius Apuleius
16-02-2012, 04:42 AM
To put that original incident into context: Steven Fletcher was fed up being called up to the Scotland squad, travelling to matches and then not being given any game time (despite being perhaps the most talent Scottish striker available). The Czech Republic debacle, in which our esteemed manager chose to play ZERO strikers against our closest qualifying opponents, was absolutely worthy of criticism - I would have sacked him for that alone!

Then as Steven Fletcher is recovering from injury Levein calls him up to pointless competition in Dublin, whilst Fletchers club are desperately trying to stave off relegation from the Premiership. Fletcher made the obvious and correct decision to help his club survive and asked not to be considered for the meaningless trip. IIRC Fletcher was called up by text and responded in kind.

Levein takes this and the valid criticism of his tactics as a refusal to play for the nation and has maintained his pathetic, petty huff ever since.

Make no mistake, the blame lies solely with Levein.
The man is a total bellend.

Correct on all counts.

Fletch aint the only one that's suffering because of leviens stubborness!

He's the manager and should manage the situation.
If that means publicly naming Fletch in the squad and puttin the ball in his court then so be it. I only want players that actually want to play for Scotland in the team and i wouldnae mind a definative answer on why one of our best players (in my opinion) isnae in the team.

Also correct on all counts. I have said it before, if I have one of my staff refuse or decline to do something they would be in my office explaining why. A good enough reason (as I believe Fletcher had) and that would be end of the story. Next time I needed the same job done he would be asked again.
Extremely poor man management on Potter's side and not something I am surprised at.

The Modfather
16-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Putting the debate about who should contact who first.

Who is Fletcher (or anyone) to pick and choose what games they turn out for their country. I was over in Dublin for the said game, why should I pay my money to watch my team when players can't be arsed turning up? Don't give me the "he had a more important game coming up, with Wolves in a relegation battle". Lets not forget that Berra was involved in that same battle, he played in the Friendly AND helped keep Wolves up. What a guy!..

I still look out for Fletcher, and enjoy seeing him do well. However I lost a lot of respect for him that night.

Andy74
16-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Here we go again...

The facts are simply , IF Fletcher wants to play for Scotland again then he must get in touch with Levien...Nothing will change until SF contacts Levien...

Those aren't the Hibs.net facts though! :greengrin

Sean1875
16-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Here we go again...

:agree: how many times have we seen this exact same thread appear, usually after each time Fletch scores a goal :yawn:

can we not just set up some sort of automatic response for whenever the next thread like this pops up? :greengrin

surreyhibbie
16-02-2012, 10:45 AM
The best solution is for Levein to GTF and the new manager speaks to Fletch and gets him playing for Scotland.

Win/Win as far as I can see...

Seveno
16-02-2012, 12:19 PM
The best solution is for Levein to GTF and the new manager speaks to Fletch and gets him playing for Scotland.

Win/Win as far as I can see...

Impossible to argue with that one. :aok:

Let's just end the thread there.

MoscowHibs
16-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Its no just the Fletcher situation Potter has screwed up. Begging Ferguson and McGregor back after showing total disrespect to Burley and the Scottish support should never have happened. Also his reasoning for no picking GoC because he had off field issues and picking Goodwillie whom was about tae go on trial for assault stinks of double standards and favoritism. man's a bawbag and should go.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2012, 12:57 PM
If I was the Scotland manager, I would in out of my way to recruit as many good players to the cause as I could.

Christiano Renaldo said he didn't want to play for Man U ever again. Despite this public snub, Alex Ferguson persuaded him to stay.

Man U won the league and Ronaldo was player of the year.

Rooney publicly snubbed Man U and Ferguson persuaded when he said he didn't want to play for them again, because they didn't match his ambition.

Ferguson didn't take the Levein line and go in the huff. He knew what an asset Rooney was and humbly persuaded him to stay.

They won the league again.

That's what I expect of the Scotland manager. Not arrogance or ego.

The Modfather
16-02-2012, 08:45 PM
If I was the Scotland manager, I would in out of my way to recruit as many good players to the cause as I could.

Christiano Renaldo said he didn't want to play for Man U ever again. Despite this public snub, Alex Ferguson persuaded him to stay.

Man U won the league and Ronaldo was player of the year.

Rooney publicly snubbed Man U and Ferguson persuaded when he said he didn't want to play for them again, because they didn't match his ambition.

Ferguson didn't take the Levein line and go in the huff. He knew what an asset Rooney was and humbly persuaded him to stay.

They won the league again.

That's what I expect of the Scotland manager. Not arrogance or ego.

I'm playing devils advocate here as it is an extreme, but is Mancini wrong to want an apology from Tevez before he thinks about considering him for selection? Tevez could be the difference between city winning the League and the Europa? As I say, an extreme case, but is Mancini showing arrogance or wanting his authority as manager to be respected?

What I find disappointing in all this is that the fact Fletcher pulled out of the squad (I.E couldn't be bothered) because of Wolves relegation run in, while Berra played in the friendly AND helped keep wolves up, has been brushed under the carpet. I lost a lot of respect for Fletcher that night.