PDA

View Full Version : Who will they be joining?

beensaidbefore
14-02-2012, 10:54 PM
If Rangers go out the box, who will they be joining, and would they be the biggest ever to go? Obviously in Scotland, but
Europe, World??

Theres a few other Scottish teams I can think of that have been and gone, Meadowbank, Clydebank, Gretna, Airdrie, Third Lanark, but I cant think of any others either here or down south.

Hibrandenburg
14-02-2012, 10:56 PM
If Rangers go out the box, who will they be joining, and would they be the biggest ever to go? Obviously in Scotland, but
Europe, World??

Theres a few other Scottish teams I can think of that have been and gone, Meadowbank, Clydebank, Gretna, Airdrie, Third Lanark, but I cant think of any others either here or down south.
St Bernards

Hibrandenburg
14-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Europe, World??

Hearts

beensaidbefore
14-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Hearts

Pub teams dont count mate...

Part/Time Supporter
14-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Stade Reims (the team that beat Hibs in the first European Cup) went bust and were reformed in the early 90s.

hibee92
15-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Fiorentina?

Pete
15-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Dukla prague?

bingo70
15-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Did middlesborough not fold and then reform in the 80s? Sure I saw on their strips something like they formed in 1986 or am I imagining that?

soupy
15-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Rapid Vienna?

wearethehibs
15-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Wimbledon fc?

dangermouse
15-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Europe, World??

They just moved and changed their name and now have Yogi in charge.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Wimbledon fc?

:agree: The Crazy Gang came all the way through the divisions, broke my heart at wembley and then went tits up!

James70
15-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Accrington Stanley folded in the early 60s and it was many years before they re-emerged.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Accrington Stanley folded in the early 60s and it was many years before they re-emerged.

Acccccccccccrington Stanley.............who are they :greengrin

James70
15-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Accrington had been without a football team following the collapse of the original Accrington Stanley in 1966. The original team had been formed in 1891, and played in The Football League from 1921 to 1961; it had spent its final four seasons in the Lancashire Combination. In a meeting in the town library in October 1968 the revival was started by Stanley Wotherington,[2] and in August 1970 the new club played at a new ground, the Crown Ground. Since their formation, Stanley have climbed the non-League pyramid to reach The Football League. Eric Whalley, a local businessman, took control of the club in 1995 and started the development of the club's ground. After the club was relegated in 1999, Whalley appointed John Coleman as manager. In 2005–06, Stanley won the Football Conference and were promoted to League Two, switching places with relegated Oxford United – in a reversal of fortune, the team that had been elected to replace the former Accrington Stanley as members of the Football League in 1962.

The club's glory period of 1974–1978 featured two consecutive promotions. Throughout this era, one Accrington Stanley player that gained cult status amongst the Stanley faithful was portly Australian striker J.P. Winter, who joined the club after several unsuccessful trials in Scotland. The clubs he trialed at included Queen of The South, Partick Thistle, Inverness Caledonian Thistle and East Fife. Despite failing in Scotland, Winter was an immediate success at the Crown Ground, netting a hat trick on debut, Winter went onto score 26 goals in his first season at Accrington. Winter enjoyed a tumultuous relationship with the club's manager Ronnie Johnson, after being caught in a malicious brawl at the Green Horse Pub the night before a game, he was banished indefinitely from the club until a petition from the Accrington Stanley supporters to reverse the decision was made. Johnson eventually succumbed to the supporters wishes and Winter returned to the side. After another relatively successful season at Stanley scoring 21 goals, he began to attract the attention of some bigger clubs such as the high flying Wycombe Wanderers, Scunthorpe United and also Doncaster Rovers. Unsettled by the speculation, Winter was never the same player. As his poor form continued, Winter was eventually released by Accrington Stanley, leaving the club to join a Finnish amateur side where the rotund striker would see out the remainder of his playing days.

The club's recent rise to the Premier level, and eventually to the League, is attributed in part to the windfall of hundreds of thousands of pounds reaped by the sell-on clause in the December 2001 transfer of former Stanley star Brett Ormerod to Southampton, who paid Blackpool over a million pounds for his contract. Stanley had taken £50,000 from Blackpool in 1997 with the agreement that Blackpool would pay Accrington a quarter of what they might have received if they in turn transferred Ormerod to another team. The 2002–03 championship of the Northern Premier League followed quickly on Accrington's getting the cash.

Accrington are the only team in the world to have improved on their league form for twelve seasons in a row. From 1999-2000 to 2010-2011 Accrington Stanley have never finished lower than their previous season's final position.

givescotlandfreedom
15-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Didn't we fold and reform?

scunnyhibs
15-02-2012, 02:36 PM

Exackly! :wink:

neilmartinrocks
15-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Europe, World??

Hibernians!! folded and reformed as Hibernian?

NYHibby
15-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Hearts did exactly the same thing too in 1905.

neilmartinrocks
15-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Hearts did exactly the same thing too in 1905.

didn't know that cheers.
so how come they kept the same name?
was it allowed at the time?

beensaidbefore
15-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Did middlesborough not fold and then reform in the 80s? Sure I saw on their strips something like they formed in 1986 or am I imagining that?

I remember seeing that in a sticker book i think, and thinking wtf, that cant be right surely. I also thought i must have imagined it! Maybe were both mental!! :confused:

beensaidbefore
15-02-2012, 08:06 PM
They just moved and changed their name and now have Yogi in charge.

yeah true, but theyre gone now.

are there a lot of other name changers wou can think of, apart from MK dons, seeing as Wimbledons been talked about?

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Exackly! :wink:

Was wandering if someone would :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2012, 08:23 PM
yeah true, but theyre gone now.

are there a lot of other name changers wou can think of, apart from MK dons, seeing as Wimbledons been talked about?

Broadhall Way changed their name to Stevenage.

surreyhibbie
15-02-2012, 08:30 PM

I thought we stopped playing games but the club, as such, never folded...

splitting hairs maybe...

Hibs Class
15-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Chester City, just a couple of years ago.

spoing
15-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Bohemians Prague

Hibs Class
15-02-2012, 08:46 PM
The rest of the SPL next season.

There is a massive campaign to get people to understand that the world revolves around Rangers and none will survive without them. they will probably come out fitter, stronger and wealthier.

Old Firm no more. An old Celtic, New Rangers. lets rid our language of the term 'the old firm' it's a misnomer. Neither old, or firm.

Agree. How about the Dodger Derby - Soap dodgers v Tax dodgers.

gillythehibby
15-02-2012, 09:10 PM

Na, this is wrong. The term "Hibernians" came from the newspapers of that day when reporting on hibs matches. Hibs have always been officially Hibernian. We lost all our players and disbanded for a short while and reformed as a non sectarian team.

killie-hibby
15-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Thats the team Hugh Shaw's replacement played for and managed.:greengrin

lobster
15-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Agree. How about the Dodger Derby - Soap dodgers v Tax dodgers.

Brilliant!

Didnt Napoli go bust?

Sas_The_Hibby
15-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Accrington ............... in October 1968 the revival was started by Stanley Wotherington,[2] and in August 1970 the new club played at a new ground, the Crown Ground. ............................

That's really impressive for a two year old. :agree:

NYHibby
15-02-2012, 09:54 PM
didn't know that cheers.
so how come they kept the same name?
was it allowed at the time?

Not sure but I think they may have slightly changed part of the business's name while keeping 'Heart of Midlothian' as the main part.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20070416/1904-1914_2241543_1011739

Financial Crisis

During season 1904-05 the club ran into financial difficulties because the limited company formed in 1903 was unable to continue after debts amounting to £1,400 had accumulated. In March 1905 at a Quarterly General Meeting, a resolution, "Proposal for Temporary Loans from Present Shareholders", was defeated by 94 votes to 72, but later that month, three resolutions were passed and the company was voluntarily wound up. On 29 April 1905, the present company was incorporated on the Register of Companies and the new concern picked up the debt which had increased to £1,600. Despite a problem selling all the new shares it cleared this debt within a reasonably short time.

DH1875
15-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Fiorentina?

:agree: and it was only about 10 years ago. Also unlike what will happen with Rangers I'm sure they had to start in the Italian 3rd/4th division. Napoli also went bust and had to start again in the 3rd division around about the same time. Now look at them, shows that whether we like it or not, Rangers aint going anywhere.
Don't think they went bust but Juve were kicked out of serie A a few years ago because of their dodgy dealings.

Bohemian_Hibee
15-02-2012, 10:01 PM
So many over here, I don't know where to start, but the current Cork City and Derry City are both only a couple of years old. And in the last 5 years or so, Sporting Fingal and Dublin City FC have both gone to the wall