PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

The Sea-gull
13-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Interesting to read his comments in the paper where he states that he assumed he would be bombed out the team to accomodate Claros. Not the first time Lewis has shown a lack of confidence in his own ability. I can't make my mind up if it is good to see a player with an honest respectful approach in terms of understanding the limits of his own talent compared to others or if he should be saying things like "I am confident I can hold my own in this team and it is up to others to displace me".

I don't think Lewis is ever going to be a great player partly down to ability and partly down to a lack of confidence. He certainly doesn't look like he will turn into the player he looked like he could have been 5 years ago. He has won me over this season though and looks like he could be a handy squad player in years to come. I'm afraid that right now I don't think he has the quality to be a first XI player on a regular basis.

When he broke through in 06/07 I thought he was going to be a good player but since then he seems to have turned into a squad player but this is no bad thing as every club needs reliable players who are willing to be a squad player, even Man U have had loads of these types over the years.

He has had a good season thus far though that in part is because most others have been so poor you just have to be above average to stick out. In fairness to him though he has stepped up to the mark when so many others haven't and (this is not something I would have said a year or even six months ago) I would not grudge him a new deal in the summer.

Makaveli
13-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Interesting to read his comments in the paper where he states that he assumed he would be bombed out the team to accomodate Claros. Not the first time Lewis has shown a lack of confidence in his own ability. I can't make my mind up if it is good to see a player with an honest respectful approach in terms of understanding the limits of his own talent compared to others or if he should be saying things like "I am confident I can hold my own in this team and it is up to others to displace me".

I don't think Lewis is ever going to be a great player partly down to ability and partly down to a lack of confidence. He certainly doesn't look like he will turn into the player he looked like he could have been 5 years ago. He has won me over this season though and looks like he could be a handy squad player in years to come. I'm afraid that right now I don't think he has the quality to be a first XI player on a regular basis.

When he broke through in 06/07 I thought he was going to be a good player but since then he seems to have turned into a squad player but this is no bad thing as every club needs reliable players who are willing to be a squad player, even Man U have had loads of these types over the years.

He has had a good season thus far though that in part is because most others have been so poor you just have to be above average to stick out. In fairness to him though he has stepped up to the mark when so many others haven't and (this is not something I would have said a year or even six months ago) I would not grudge him a new deal in the summer.

When the chips are down he's been putting in performances more consistently than anyone else. At this stage could you really argue with him as POTY?

PeeJay
13-02-2012, 09:16 AM
He has had a good season thus far though that in part is because most others have been so poor you just have to be above average to stick out.

I don't think this is why Stevenson has been performing well, I think he actually is a talented footballer - he has worked hard at improving himself and it seems to be paying off - maybe Fenlon has been the right guy to coax it out of him? I also really like Stevenson's attitude when he says if he is out the team he will keep working hard to get back in, maybe he just has a greater appreciation that it is a team sport and he may have to stand down now and then, if and when the manager wants him to do so? He comes across to me as a good professional and I - for one - am pleased that we, as a club, have stuck by him. I only saw the highlights of Saturday's game (thanks to the new and improved Hibs International TV service!:brickwall) but he had a great game in the highlights, even though several others also seemed to be playing well... he didn't look anything but confident in what I saw.

hibsbollah
13-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Having spent some time in his company i agree Lewis is very hum
ble and the antithesis of a big time charlie stereotype of a footballer. In that respect him expecting to lose his place isnt all that surprising. I dont think this means he doesnt have the determination and will to win required. Being an arrogant twat doesnt guarantee you'll be a successful sportsman, thankfully :greengrin: I'm delighted this genuinely good guy is having such a good season at last.

Jack
13-02-2012, 09:18 AM
When the chips are down he's been putting in performances more consistently than anyone else. At this stage could you really argue with him as POTY?

Agreed.

So often on the fringes there were some who complained he got a years extension last year but he's certainly used his 'last chance' to stay with Hibs to good effect.

I can't see him playing at a higher level than Hibs so I hope he sticks in and becomes a loyal and dependable player at the Club for a long time to come.

The Sea-gull
13-02-2012, 09:20 AM

So far, in a season lacking any real candidates in the squad (GO'C would have walked it had he kept up his form from the first two months of the season but given everything that has gone on with him that was never going to happen and if it had he would have been away in January anyway) yes would probably say it would have to be him.

It is a sad reflection of the way things have gone that player can be considered POTY for doing ok but it is not LS fault most others have not performed so why should he be penalised for others' poor performances when as an individual he has done ok.

I've got a feeling one or more of the new boys will storm into POTY contention though unless someone is absolutely outstanding, POTY should probably be given to a player who has played for the club for the whole season and if LS continues to perform consistently, if not spectacularly, as he has done all season then it should be him.

Spike Mandela
13-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Lewis is respected by the Hibs fans for his 100% effort on the park and his undoubtedly outstanding performances this season, however, for Hibs to be better than a bottom two team imo we need to be a team where the likes of Lewis is a valued squad player struggling to get in to our first eleven.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
13-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Having spent some time in his company i agree Lewis is very hum
ble and the antithesis of a big time charlie stereotype of a footballer. In that respect him expecting to lose his place isnt all that surprising. I dont think this means he doesnt have the determination and will to win required. Being an arrogant twat doesnt guarantee you'll be a successful sportsman, thankfully :greengrin: I'm delighted this genuinely good guy is having such a good season at last.

Lewis is committed, intelligent and articulate. A real credit to the club.

southfieldhibby
13-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Lewis is committed, intelligent and articulate. A real credit to the club.

Add in the ability to read games, no little talent and good fitness levels.He's my second name on the team sheet, after the arrival of McPake.Delighted he's stuck it out at ER, there was a while over the last couple of seasons when I was expecting him to leave.

Baker9
13-02-2012, 10:25 AM
When he first came into the side I, and several others on here, drew comparisons with Alex Cropley and at the time it seemed valid to do so. The 'Cropley' in him gradually faded and he became ordinary. I think there is a serious chance of Pat Fenlon reviving the Cropley and I wish Lewis well for the good guy he seems to be.

Iceman1875
13-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Always rated Lewis, can remember when he was coming through the ranks with another talented player that sadly left, Jay Shields. I hope LS stays at the club for many a year to come.

Winston Ingram
13-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't understand how people don't think he has much ability. I think he looks technically very sound. He uses the ball sensibly, his touch his sound and is a very crisp passer of the ball. The more games he has the better he gets. Hopefully he can stay in the side and sign a new deal

GreenPJ
13-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I like Lewis and am glad he has had a run of games but he needs to improve his attacking play, you have to imagine the main disruptor in the team will be Claros going forward and so we need Lewis to supplement his game so he does not get a nose bleed when he gets anywhere near the final 3rd. If he can do this then a contract extension must be on the cards and justifiably so.

Franck is God
13-02-2012, 11:25 AM
The only part of Lewis's game that needs work is his attacking play and if he can add that successfully then he will be one of our top players hopefully for a long time to come.

Cropley10
13-02-2012, 11:44 AM
One of my favourite players for all the reasons mentioned above. Yes it would be ideal if Lewis was the one fighting to get in to the starting XI but for now he's not and that's not his fault.

There are still plenty of folk who won't see what other managers (including are own) are seeing. I think he will continue to improve.

proud_and_green
13-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't understand how people don't think he has much ability. I think he looks technically very sound. He uses the ball sensibly, his touch his sound and is a very crisp passer of the ball. The more games he has the better he gets. Hopefully he can stay in the side and sign a new deal

I agree, i think where he has not performed as well as we would have hoped it has been down to the instructions he has had from the manager. I think he now has fairly simple instructions which is to break up opposition play and win the ball.

For me he is doing that 100% and i am delighted that he is getting some recognition for his hard work over the years.

Jonnyboy
13-02-2012, 07:33 PM
At the risk of causing great hilarity can I suggest folk have a look at Sergio Busquets at Barcelona? No-one would ever claim he's a silky and creative player but he does what he does very well and every team needs such players. Lewis does his job well. He may not set the heather on fire but he rarely lets you down.

Having met and interviewed the lad I can assure you he is very humble, lacks a wee bit of belief in his own ability but is 100% committed to Hibs and never hides either on the park or at training.

madabouthibs
13-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I've always rated Lewis, and its great to see him thriving just now. He's been a victim of very poor management these last few years, but it seems that Fenlon sees a player within.
He also looks very fit just now, and doesn't seem to be on the treatment table very much. Get him signed! :agree:

DanHFC1875
13-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I've always rated Lewis, and its great to see him thriving just now. He's been a victim of very poor management these last few years, but it seems that Fenlon sees a player within.
He also looks very fit just now, and doesn't seem to be on the treatment table very much. Get him signed! :agree:

I agree, he deserves a new deal... He could maybe keep it going and break into the team long term. He would defo be a good squad player. Would welcome him being given an extension. Don't like journeymen that don't really care. Lewis does and has served us well, I believe he would continue to serve us well given the chance.