PDA

View Full Version : Question What's the building I see from the East Stand?

Jamesie
11-02-2012, 06:04 PM
This has been bugging me since the East Stand opened and give the lack of unanimity amongst my friends as to the answer I thought I'd put it to the floor.

From where we sit in the East Stand you can see a building some way in the distance behind the new flats that sit between the West and South stands, which I've circled in black in the attached pics. Does anyone know what that building is? We've had everything from Kings Buildings to Appleton Tower at the University. Personally I think Abbeymount or Calton Hill / Regent Terrace area would get in the way of seeing anything like that but I'm nto sure.

Any thoughts?

greenlex
11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
The West Stand?:dunno:

Sergy Pie
11-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Block of flats in dumbiedykes???

Andy74
11-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Uni building on Holyrood Road? Depends where you sit in East but take google maps and run a line from there through the stands and you'll soon find out!

NOLA
11-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Church at the end of royal terrace?

joebakerforever
11-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Thought the Church tower at junction of Montrose Terrace & Abbeyhill, facing the Artisan Bar.

Jamesie
11-02-2012, 07:08 PM

Looks more like a 60s style block - Dumbiedykes could be a shout actually.

andy1875
11-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Is that a crane in front of said building? Looks like a black diagonal shape. Maybe not but might help if potentially a building under construction?

NYHibby
11-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Your pictures look pretty low resolution on my iPhone. Do you have anything better?

My guess is Appleton Tower.

http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/images/jpgs/appleton_tower_029.jpg

NYHibby
11-02-2012, 07:20 PM
That picture is obviously the wrong corner of Appleton Tower but it was the closest I could find.

weonlywon6-2
11-02-2012, 07:30 PM
This has been bugging me since the East Stand opened and give the lack of unanimity amongst my friends as to the answer I thought I'd put it to the floor.

From where we sit in the East Stand you can see a building some way in the distance behind the new flats that sit between the West and South stands, which I've circled in black in the attached pics. Does anyone know what that building is? We've had everything from Kings Buildings to Appleton Tower at the University. Personally I think Abbeymount or Calton Hill / Regent Terrace area would get in the way of seeing anything like that but I'm nto sure.

Any thoughts?

Dumbiedykes i would say. to much in the way for Appleton Tower

NYHibby
11-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Dumbiedykes i would say. to much in the way for Appleton Tower

Looking at the angle on a map, I think you are right. Dumbiedykes fits the angle better. Appleton Tower is a little too far west.

The OP can use bird's eye view on Bing maps to check.
http://binged.it/ytNBcN

madabouthibs
11-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Are they not building something behind Meadowbank Shopping park?
Looks kinda high to reach over those flats, and having had a paper round in the flats at Dumbiedykes many moons ago I can't recall being able to see Easter Road, although the stadium has gained loft since then. :greengrin

madabouthibs
11-02-2012, 08:01 PM
The flats at the top of Abbeyhill, on the corner where the Berry Suite used to be? I think they're about 6 stories high.

Hal Jordan
11-02-2012, 08:06 PM
My guess would be the flats across the road from the Artisan Bar at the corner of Abbey St/London Rd, or the flats at Dumbiedykes.

*the same ones as mentioned above?

TrinityHibs
11-02-2012, 08:27 PM
The flats at the top of Abbeyhill, on the corner where the Berry Suite used to be? I think they're about 6 stories high.

I thought that as well but I think its the wrong angle.I think you would have to be nearer the FF to see the Berry Suite flats

Is it the new 6 star hotel behind the new main stand at Tynie?

Seveno
11-02-2012, 10:49 PM
You should have asked today's referee. He has brilliant eyesight. :clown:

Billy McKirdy
11-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Its the flats at the top of Lower London Road (the Berry suite) without a doubt, I'm a bus driver and I'm up there on a daily basis plus I'm originally a Piershiller and know that area like the back of my hand, I can tell from the angle that you are looking in that direction...without any shadow of a doubt lol

Billy McKirdy
11-02-2012, 11:13 PM
The beautiful (of course) modernist green block of flats by the Station Bar at Abbeyhill no less!!!

Sunny1875
12-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Don't think its the Dumbiedykes flats, they would not be tall enough to be seen unless the slope at ER has been flattened, the contours start to dip once past London Road, Abbeyhill, so i think that it must be the former Berry suite, unless it is the light bending and it is the Burj Khalifa or CN tower that is edging into the Edinburgh horizon

Hibs7
12-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Not abbey lane flats they are green and the angle is wrong, you need to be at the north end of the east stand to see them. So not the flats at the berry suite.