PDA

View Full Version : Today's Ref...

EasterRoad4Ever
11-02-2012, 05:37 PM
... was a standout today and never seemed fazed by being in spotlight. He didn't flinch from making bizarre decisions or booking a Hibs player when the opportunity arose, depite the distraction of numerous Dons fouls beforehand. And just when there was a danger that the 22 players might distract the attention of the paying public, the ref was there to bring the focus back to the main event.. him.

Just a pity there was a football game trying to go on around him, really.

lucky
11-02-2012, 05:47 PM
... was a standout today and never seemed fazed by being in spotlight. He didn't flinch from making bizarre decisions or booking a Hibs player when the opportunity arose, dispute the distraction of numerous Dons fouls beforehand. And just when there was a danger that the 22 players might distract the attention of the paying public, the ref was there to bring the focus back to the main event.. him.

Just a pity there was a football game trying to go on around him, really.

100% correct that little prick was determined that neither team could get going.

forthhibby
11-02-2012, 05:49 PM
anyone in the FF confirm that was as stonewall a penalty as you'll ever see for handball

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Some bizarre decisions made by the officials today for both teams.

givescotlandfreedom
11-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Agreed, a terrible referee who cost us the win IMO. The handball on the line (which kept the ball out) was a penalty and straight red card. Thomson who gave Aberdeen 3 points for Pawlett's dive at Pittodrie was fourth official. Thanks guys, you've cost us a win today and a draw in Aberdeen.

givescotlandfreedom
11-02-2012, 05:52 PM
anyone in the FF confirm that was as stonewall a penalty as you'll ever see for handball

Saw it in West Lower clear as day.

Carheenlea
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM

I`m in the West, but both benches were claiming for handball! Be interesting to see the footage.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
11-02-2012, 05:56 PM
ref was a complete erse

Carheenlea
11-02-2012, 06:01 PM
The brilliant tackle by Doherty which resulted in a free kick and yellow card was one of the most baffling decisions I`ve seen. Maybe I missed something, but as I said, found it absolutely extraordinary.

Twa Cairpets
11-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I'll usually come on and defend my fellow refs, so here's my take on it.

Erm

Nope, cant do it. Just a poor, poor performance. Matters of opinion I'll always defend a ref, but to get so many matters of fact clearly wrong - corners, throws, blatant hand balls etc and you have to think his positioning or concentration were off. I cant recalla game where so many wrong decisions were made for both teams.

KingFranck
11-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Some strange decisions from west stand side assistant and that clown of a ref. Books our player for the best tackle in the game! Couple of thrown in and corner decisions that were ridiculous. Demote both immediately to junior football please

M11BMO
11-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Ref was a total fud.

Sir David Gray
11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
How that linesman on the East Stand side missed that handball from Doyle is staggering.

He was literally about two yards away and it was one of the easiest decisions you'll ever see.

Unbelievable incompetence.

Carheenlea
11-02-2012, 06:10 PM
ref was a complete erse

Ref was a total fud.

:scarf:

andy1875
11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
It must have been the refs birthday today eh? He really did make it all about him at every chance he got.

A wee prick of the highest order.

Alfred E Newman
11-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Its been said so many times but the quality of refereeing in Scotland is abysmal. That clown today only underlined that fact.

Gatecrasher
11-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Its been said so many times but the quality of refereeing in Scotland is abysmal. That clown today only underlined that fact.
Bring back the Foreigners :agree:

Malthibby
11-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Refereeing display of the season. If he had been using tarot cards or tossing a coin
he would have given more correct decisions.
GG

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-02-2012, 07:09 PM
The old adage is that the ref has had a good game if you don't notice him.

tamig
11-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I know the ref. He is an Aberdeen fan. :agree:

His display today was shocking.

down-the-slope
11-02-2012, 07:19 PM
But it was the 3 refs that were poor...not just man in the middle...as has been mentioned west Stand Ref got 3 off sides correct....and all other decisions wrong or waited for man in middle to direct...he was 6 yards from the tackle of the game (tackle of season actually) and did nothing when man in middle not only gave a free kick but then yellow carded Docherty.....same spot and a clear corner to Dons....he flags for bye kick...

The man in middle gave fouls for both teams when there was barely contact...I can't remember a really bad foul in the whole match...don't know how he would have managed if it was a physical game....

the officials should be locked in a room and made to watch themselves back on a loop for 24 hours :wink:

Still even with that i really enjoyed the game...:aok:

aljo7-0
11-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Still can't believe the booking for one of the best tackles I've seen in a long time. Happened just in front of me in the West Lower and the assistant ref was right in front of us. I don't know - maybe from the ref's angle it looked a foul but from side on it was a perfectly timed tackle and never a foul let alone a booking. Can an assistant ref call the ref over and tell him he's got it wrong?

PaulSmith
11-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Is he?

greenlex
11-02-2012, 07:28 PM

To be fair he was just as pish with decisions involving them. :agree:

tamig
11-02-2012, 07:31 PM
To be fair he was just as pish with decisions involving them. :agree:

They could easily have had a couple of bookings in the first half though.

How he thought Doherty's excellent tackle was worth a booking I have no idea.

tamig
11-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Is he?

He is that. Aye.

Twa Cairpets
11-02-2012, 07:59 PM

If he is, he's been a very passive one - he's an Edinburgh referee and he's been refereeing on Saturdays for about 20 years.

SMAXXA
11-02-2012, 08:03 PM
The brilliant tackle by Doherty which resulted in a free kick and yellow card was one of the most baffling decisions I`ve seen. Maybe I missed something, but as I said, found it absolutely extraordinary.

This was right in front of me and it was an absalutley brilliant challenge won the ball clearly, what makes it worse is the linesman was right in front of it. Mind he also gave us a by kick when it was a clear corner to the Dons, some bad decisions today. From the other end of the West Stand I seen that handball aswell, unreal cost us the game I feel. The assistant refs dopnt communicate enough with each other for me, its a joke.

tamig
11-02-2012, 08:06 PM
If he is, he's been a very passive one - he's an Edinburgh referee and he's been refereeing on Saturdays for about 20 years.

He's from up there originally though.

SouthMoroccoStu
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM

If this is true, this is shocking and I'm honestly wondering what the SPHell has against us?!

From this ref, the ref at the Aberdeen game away from home and the jambo incharge of the new years derby.

Not trying to sound like a Celtic fan here but its getting beyond a joke.

The refs association were away in Spain last week for.......god only knows what. It certainly wasnt to improve the standard of the middle men in this country.

Today's ref was a total joke. A great Hibs performance ruined by this imposter.

CropleyWasGod
11-02-2012, 08:11 PM
This was right in front of me and it was an absalutley brilliant challenge won the ball clearly, what makes it worse is the linesman was right in front of it. Mind he also gave us a by kick when it was a clear corner to the Dons, some bad decisions today. From the other end of the West Stand I seen that handball aswell, unreal cost us the game I feel. The assistant refs dopnt communicate enough with each other for me, its a joke.

I was a mere 75 yards away :greengrin and I thought it was reckless, in that he took the man out as well.

In the good old days, that would have been okay, but refs seem to be taking a different view on those sort of tackles now.

Jonnyboy
11-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Poor performance from the ref that in fairness did no favours for either side. One thing I did notice is that he often got in the way of play around about him.

SMAXXA
11-02-2012, 08:27 PM
If this is true, this is shocking and I'm honestly wondering what the SPHell has against us?!

From this ref, the ref at the Aberdeen game away from home and the jambo incharge of the new years derby.

Not trying to sound like a Celtic fan here but its getting beyond a joke.

The refs association were away in Spain last week for.......god only knows what. It certainly wasnt to improve the standard of the middle men in this country.

Today's ref was a total joke. A great Hibs performance ruined by this imposter.

From what I understand CM is infact a Hibby, wouldnt have gueesed after the derby mind

Hibs Class
11-02-2012, 08:27 PM
I was amazed how small he was when he came out at the start of the match. I thought he had maybe got to be ref for a day as a Jim'll Fix It.

SMAXXA
11-02-2012, 08:28 PM
I was a mere 75 yards away :greengrin and I thought it was reckless, in that he took the man out as well.

In the good old days, that would have been okay, but refs seem to be taking a different view on those sort of tackles now.

Came from the side of the boy and won the ball clearley and ur right tho he did take the man aswell, thats why I loved the challenge :greengrin

EasterRoad4Ever
11-02-2012, 08:29 PM
But it was the 3 refs that were poor...not just man in the middle...as has been mentioned west Stand Ref got 3 off sides correct....and all other decisions wrong or waited for man in middle to direct...he was 6 yards from the tackle of the game (tackle of season actually) and did nothing when man in middle not only gave a free kick but then yellow carded Docherty.....same spot and a clear corner to Dons....he flags for bye kick...

The man in middle gave fouls for both teams when there was barely contact...I can't remember a really bad foul in the whole match...don't know how he would have managed if it was a physical game....

the officials should be locked in a room and made to watch themselves back on a loop for 24 hours :wink:

Still even with that i really enjoyed the game...:aok:

Wouldn't it be great if - seeing that ref was completely incompetent - both team STOPPED paying, walked off the pitch and refused to play on until a competent ref was brought in. Fans pay a lot of money to watch football, not to watch some mini-ego strutting around like he's a god saying look at me "I'm all powerful and everything I say goes". High time refs were brought to account. bottom line is he was either incompetent - and not fit to ref an SPL match - or bent. There is no other explanation.

CropleyWasGod
11-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Came from the side of the boy and won the ball clearley and ur right tho he did take the man aswell, thats why I loved the challenge :greengrin

That's my point, though. It is irrelevant whether he won the ball or not. The view now is that, if it's "reckless", it's a foul. Given that the Aberdeen guy was clattered quite hard, it had to be a foul.

Jackie Mac was sitting in front of me today. I shudder to think how many cards he would get these days. And as for Erich......

Bayern Bru
11-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Let's be serious for a moment. There is no conspiracy against Hibs.

Scottish referees are just that bad.

Aberdeen throw in x 3.
Aberdeen corner x 2.
Hibs penalty x 1.
Hibs corner x 1.
Didn't book Claros (although in hindsight maybe the correct decision) x 1.
Didn't book McArdle x 1.
Doherty's non-booking x 1.
Brown's timewasting.

are just a few examples of how badly the officials got it wrong today. Has Crawford Allan got a severe case of small-man syndrome? Utterly, utterly appalling for both sides today. The standard of officiating hasn't been particularly good in Scottish football for a long time but it's got a whole lot worse recently.

Players don't respect the refs/linesmen, too many refs try to be the centre of attention. Yet somehow these guys are being promoted to UEFA standard all the time?

I give up.

SouthMoroccoStu
11-02-2012, 08:40 PM
From what I understand CM is infact a Hibby, wouldnt have gueesed after the derby mind

Nope, sorry smaxxa. He is a jambo.

Admitted he was a season ticket holder at tin castle in his younger days.

How that ref missed the bleeping hand ball is beyond me.

If the BBC sportscene Has the guts to show this refs muck it, let's be honest it won't be the firstvtime they've wimped out, I would like to see it again

PaulSmith
11-02-2012, 08:40 PM

Not true, totally irrelevant if he was or wasn't to be honest though

Twa Cairpets
11-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Wouldn't it be great if - seeing that ref was completely incompetent - both team STOPPED paying, walked off the pitch and refused to play on until a competent ref was brought in. Fans pay a lot of money to watch football, not to watch some mini-ego strutting around like he's a god saying look at me "I'm all powerful and everything I say goes". High time refs were brought to account. bottom line is he was either incompetent - and not fit to ref an SPL match - or bent. There is no other explanation.

Nah, I just think he had a bad game. I've seen Crawford Allan ref lots of games and he's usually decent, just today he didn't have a good game.

Players have bad games, so do refs. I don't think his display was egotistical, by the way - he wasn't flashing cards about - just got some infuriating decisions wrong, and wrong for both teams.

carlos70
11-02-2012, 08:43 PM
According to BBC stats Aberdeen committed 15 fouls, zero bookings, 2 guys were spoken to, one involving the taking of a free kick. Ref was appalling today. As previously mentioned, I don't know what they refs learned on their course in Spain, it certainly wasn't how to control a football match!

SMAXXA
11-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Nope, sorry smaxxa. He is a jambo.

Admitted he was a season ticket holder at tin castle in his younger days.

How that ref missed the bleeping hand ball is beyond me.

If the BBC sportscene Has the guts to show this refs muck it, let's be honest it won't be the firstvtime they've wimped out, I would like to see it again

The burds step dad whos a jambo told me he was a Hibby so he must be wrong, as hes no the wind up type. Fair do's M8.

I actually think CM is the best ref we have in Scotland to be honest.

SMAXXA
11-02-2012, 08:48 PM
That's my point, though. It is irrelevant whether he won the ball or not. The view now is that, if it's "reckless", it's a foul. Given that the Aberdeen guy was clattered quite hard, it had to be a foul.

Jackie Mac was sitting in front of me today. I shudder to think how many cards he would get these days. And as for Erich......

I take your point mate and your right, the modern day football doesnt allow tackles like they use to. Still would argue it wasnt really reckless, was timed to perfection and didnt hurt the sheep lad. And to give him a yellow for it just rubed salt into the wounds, what about the 2 tackles the dons players made in the first half when think it was spoony was away and ozzy I think or Lewis with the other, a yellow for a tackle on the touch line or for a foul when players were closing into the box :confused:

EasterRoad4Ever
11-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Nah, I just think he had a bad game. I've seen Crawford Allan ref lots of games and he's usually decent, just today he didn't have a good game.

Players have bad games, so do refs. I don't think his display was egotistical, by the way - he wasn't flashing cards about - just got some infuriating decisions wrong, and wrong for both teams.

I'd accept that if incompetence lasted 5 or 10 mins or involved a few dodgy decisions, but not a full 90. He must have realised that he was making crass decisions, and thought "hold on, I'm having a shocker, I need to concentrate and be better". This guy got WORSE as the game went on and appeared to revel in the attention it brought him. If these little men showed a little humility when they've clearly made a mistake - and there were plenty - fans might actually start to empathise with the difficult job they have. But no, they simply get worse and more autonomous to the point where no one knows what decision they are likely to come out with next. THAT is where we ended up today. Whether he's been a good ref in the past or not is irrelevant.

Saorsa
11-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Agreed, a terrible referee who cost us the win IMO. The handball on the line (which kept the ball out) was a penalty and straight red card. Thomson who gave Aberdeen 3 points for Pawlett's dive at Pittodrie was fourth official. Thanks guys, you've cost us a win today and a draw in Aberdeen.You see this every week unfortunately. Theres nae such thing as a decent ref these days (and there is nae such thing as a decent ref these days), it's all about degrees of pishness and this guy was murder. ****in' pay rise! They had a brass neck takin' what they were before. :bitchy:

Twa Cairpets
11-02-2012, 09:24 PM
I'd accept that if incompetence lasted 5 or 10 mins or involved a few dodgy decisions, but not a full 90. He must have realised that he was making crass decisions, and thought "hold on, I'm having a shocker, I need to concentrate and be better". This guy got WORSE as the game went on and appeared to revel in the attention it brought him. If these little men showed a little humility when they've clearly made a mistake - and there were plenty - fans might actually start to empathise with the difficult job they have. But no, they simply get worse and more autonomous to the point where no one knows what decision they are likely to come out with next. THAT is where we ended up today. Whether he's been a good ref in the past or not is irrelevant.

Last point first - its entirely relevant if hes been a good referee in the past - thats how refs progress.

As for the performance, I've not refereed at that level, so I can't comment for sure, but I think he just started badly and set a rod for his back. He tried to "clamp down" with the Doherty yellow card,and drove the fans furious with the non-play on for Kujabi bringing it back for no advantage, again a wrong decision. The refs at this level arguably should have better concentration/awareness, and they should be positioned better to be able to make the right decisions than us public park guys, but ultimately they are human. I think I'm quite a good referee at the level I do, but I have had stinkers and boy do you know when you do have them. It doesnt make me eternally a sh**e referee. Bad day at the office, thats all...

And I'm not a little man, I promise you :greengrin

Hibs7
11-02-2012, 09:25 PM
A glaring hand ball in the box, at least 3 Dons tackles worthy of a yellow card but ..... nada, one Hibs tackle and a yellow, this should be reviewed and anyone with a bit of common.sense would see this was incompetence personified.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Only saving grace is that the ref was dreadful for both teams. The linos had gone fishin' as well.

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
What was that all about when the referee stopped the game when the Aberdeen player had to tie his boot laces? Since when did the game have to stop cause a player had to tie up his laces??? :confused:

SMAXXA
11-02-2012, 10:19 PM
What was that all about when the referee stopped the game when the Aberdeen player had to tie his boot laces? Since when did the game have to stop cause a player had to tie up his laces??? :confused:

Only minutes earlier doyle was down tying his lases when the game was going on with aberdeen having the ball deep in our half

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Only minutes earlier doyle was down tying his lases when the game was going on with aberdeen having the ball deep in our half

It's ridiculous. I don't think it's any conspiracy, but the ref today was a complete clown. To think they actually have a normal job to go along with being a referee. If they perform in their day job the same way, surely they'd be sacked. :bitchy:

BEEJ
11-02-2012, 10:34 PM
These things even themselves out over the course of a season though ........ yeah??

Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

givescotlandfreedom
11-02-2012, 10:35 PM

His boot came off too!

Seveno
11-02-2012, 10:37 PM
As Leigh Griffith's was a spectator today, is he entitled to report the referee's incompetence to the Compliance Officer ?

Just asking. :cb

Twa Cairpets
11-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Actually this is one where he was blameless - he didn't stop the game, just we didn't get on with it. Aberdeen were in no hurry to get the ball to Kujabi and our players just kind of stood around clueless

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Actually this is one where he was blameless - he didn't stop the game, just we didn't get on with it. Aberdeen were in no hurry to get the ball to Kujabi and our players just kind of stood around clueless

I remember it as Hibs were about to take the throw in and the referee went over the to the player (effectivelystopping the game) to ask what was going on. The player continued to tie his laces, once he had done Hibs took the thrown in.

Hibs7
11-02-2012, 10:59 PM
A waste of space and should seriously think about visiting specsavers, hand ball was so blatant and obvious and he didn' t see it WTF.!!!!

matty_f
11-02-2012, 11:48 PM

The challenge was right in front of me and it was as good a tackle as you'll see in a game. Why the linesman stood by and watched the ref pull out a yellow card for it, I'll never know.

I thought the ref was an absolute joke today, but then I can't think of a good ref we've had all season.:rolleyes:

TornadoHibby
12-02-2012, 12:22 AM
The challenge was right in front of me and it was as good a tackle as you'll see in a game. Why the linesman stood by and watched the ref pull out a yellow card for it, I'll never know.

I thought the ref was an absolute joke today, but then I can't think of a good ref we've had all season.:rolleyes:

Totally agree, Doherty was possibly our best player today and is a player who will go far in the game IMO!

That tackle was quite superb!

basehibby
12-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Some strange decisions from west stand side assistant and that clown of a ref. Books our player for the best tackle in the game! Couple of thrown in and corner decisions that were ridiculous. Demote both immediately to junior football please

:agree: Saw that - not to mention a number of other "fouls" given for f" all to both sides while a couple of howlers were missed - including a clear foul about a week late by our new man Claros which surely merited a yellow but was completely missed IIRC! Didn't see the hand ball penalty incident but heard the roar of disapproval from the FF - dunno this guy's background - could it be he's new to this level and the occasion got to him a bit?

soupy
12-02-2012, 09:03 AM
I remember it as Hibs were about to take the throw in and the referee went over the to the player (effectivelystopping the game) to ask what was going on. The player continued to tie his laces, once he had done Hibs took the thrown in.

Yip this is what I remember, I was going raj :-)

Hibs_SW
12-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Yip this is what I remember, I was going raj :-)

Me to! I was sitting 4 rows behind where he was taking the throw in and he tried to take it but the whistle was blown and linesman told him not to go! The ref knew exactly the problem nothing was happening and he was standing infront of the boy tying his lace, watching him! Absolute nutter!

matty_f
12-02-2012, 09:38 AM
How did we compare to the sheep for fouls committed? I am still baffled at how Aberdeen escaped a single booking in that game.

The ref looked like he'd won the chance to ref an SPL game on the back of a Cornflakes box.

Capt Mainwaring
12-02-2012, 12:46 PM
How did we compare to the sheep for fouls committed? I am still baffled at how Aberdeen escaped a single booking in that game.

The ref looked like he'd won the chance to ref an SPL game on the back of a Cornflakes box.

Aberdeen conceded 15 fouls to our 9. Don,t recall him even speaking to an Aberdeen player ( apart from asking the fella if he'd finished tying his laces!)

Ref needs a refresher course in what a good tackle looks like and also how to play advantage.

PaulSmith
12-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Just seen the penalty incident, I thought after reading on here it was blatenly obvious handball? Even after seeing it in slow motion from 2 angles I'm not sure and perhaps even more so I think it was a Hibs hand?

The free kick and caution though is a poor decision.

Alfred E Newman
12-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Aberdeen conceded 15 fouls to our 9. Don,t recall him even speaking to an Aberdeen player ( apart from asking the fella if he'd finished tying his laces!)

Ref needs a refresher course in what a good tackle looks like and also how to play advantage.

If that tackle is now deemed a foul and a yellow card the game is finished.