PDA

View Full Version : Decent-sized article on Hibs from tomorrow's Times

Broken Gnome
09-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Apologies if it breaks copyright rules.

Jorge Claros is in line to make his debut for Hibernian at Easter Road
tomorrow after it was confirmed yesterday that the club had been given the appropriate international clearance.

The Honduras midfield player, who was on trial at Rangers during the
January transfer window, has been sidelined by red tape since signing a one-year loan deal from Motagua on January 31.

Pat Fenlon, the Hibernian manager, will assess him in training this
morning, but the temptation is to throw him straight in against Aberdeen.

"He has had a fair bit of travelling to do, but of course there is a
temptation," Fenlon said. "He is a quality player."

With Hibernian second-bottom of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League,
ahead of Dunfermline Athletic only on goal difference, Fenlon's need of
Claros, who has played 31 times for Honduras, is urgent.

Claros is a strong character, with all of the leadership qualities so
coveted by Fenlon in the transfer window. His tireless running and
ball-winning ability have led some to nickname him "The Pitbull", but
his range of passing will be what really sets him apart.

Fenlon is not given to hyperbole, but there is no mistaking his
excitement about the 26-year-old. "He will make a difference. He's the
type of player we need at the moment," he said.

"We have got a lot of hard-working players, but we need maybe a little
bit more calmness at times, someone to put their foot on the ball, and
control the play. That's what he brings to the team."

Claros is just one of seven players brought to the club by Fenlon since
the new year, which is a damning indictment of the squad he inherited
from Colin Calderwood in November. It is, in a way, a gamble for the
Irishman, who needs immediate results in the battle against relegation.

"There have been a lot of changes - a change of manager, change of
staff, change of players - so it takes time to get used to people, and how they react to different situations. But we don't have time to wait. We have to try to gel quickly.

"We've changed the training around a little bit, so we're probably
getting there, but there's still plenty of work to do to get through to the players what we're looking for."

The process is helped none by the suspension tomorrow of two defenders
James McPake, another of his new signings, and Paul Hanlon. Meanwhile, Tom Soares, the midfield player on loan from Stoke City, is
struggling to overcome a hamstring injury.

One school of thought has it that Fenlon, anxious to eliminate the
defensive howlers that have plagued the club this season, will be
tempted to play Matt Doherty, a 20-year-old full-back signed on loan
from Wolverhampton Wanderers, in the middle of his back four. Fenlon
raves about Doherty, an Irishman who was with him at Bohemians, but
never played for the first team.
When Wolves stepped in to sign him, Fenlon thought it was a year too
early for the youngster, but within a couple of weeks the player was
making his full debut. Since Fenlon last worked with him, Doherty has
become taller, broader and more aware of his potential.

"He's still only a kid, but he's matured. He always had potential, but he's tapped into that a bit more now. Matt can be a top, top player in the Premier League, and I think he realises that now," Fenlon said.

While Fenlon admits that there is no prospect of keeping Doherty in the
long term, some of the others he has secured on loan could join Hibernian on a permanent basis.

If the manager's experience is anything to go by, the size of the club will be persuasive. He says it is bigger than he expected, which in turn makes his job more exciting.

"Hibs have been in this position for a while so I knew it was going to be a difficult job, but it's a better job [than I thought]. It is a fantastic club, something to really get your teeth into," the Hibernian
manager said.

"When you come in and see the size of the support, and the potential for that to increase, it really gives you a lift. The job for us is to tap into that."

Hibstrooper
09-02-2012, 09:39 PM
:aok:

In Fenlon we trust.

Judas Iscariot
09-02-2012, 11:07 PM
:aok:

In Fenlon we trust.

This :agree:

matty_f
09-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Not since the heady heights of JC's time in charge have I felt so optimistic about a manager being able to sort Hibs out and have us challenging where we should be.

beensaidbefore
09-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Not since the heady heights of JC's time in charge have I felt so optimistic about a manager being able to sort Hibs out and have us challenging where we should be.

Indeed, false hope or not, I am feeling very optimistic.:agree:

The Harp Awakes
10-02-2012, 12:24 AM

Couldn't agree more mate. I was gutted when JC left Hibs but it looks like we have finally got a Manager who can really sort us out. The guys enthusiasm for the job is there for all to see in that interview and it's obvious that he will give everything he has to make Hibs a success.

Wheat Hound
10-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Wonder which loan players are the ones likely to sign permenantly?

Judas Iscariot
10-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Wonder which loan players are the ones likely to sign permenantly?

McPake, Griffits :dunno:

bingo70
10-02-2012, 07:29 AM
McPake, Griffits :dunno:

I wouldn't rule out Soares as well, he's clearly not needed by his club and there musn't have been much interest in him from the Championship in january when he was available for loan so if he enjoys his football he might sign permanently, also think O'donovan could win a place if he impresses although he's the only one i wasn't impressed with on his debut, although to be fair he wasn't on the park for long so i won't be writing him off just yet.

Hibbylad86
10-02-2012, 07:30 AM
In Fenlon we trust! The more I read from him the more he impresses me. Results right now are a priority but if we stay in the SPL (I think we will quite easily) I think he will turn this club around and return it to where it should be (top three in the SPL)

GGTTH :pfgwa

BEEJ
10-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Apologies if it breaks copyright rules.
"Hibs have been in this position for a while so I knew it was going to be a difficult job, but it's a better job [than I thought]. It is a fantastic club, something to really get your teeth into," the Hibernian
manager said.

"When you come in and see the size of the support, and the potential for that to increase, it really gives you a lift. The job for us is to tap into that."
Loved that bit. :thumbsup:

PF is switched on and I think he's going to deliver.

hfc rd
10-02-2012, 11:28 PM
In Fenlon we trust! The more I read from him the more he impresses me. Results right now are a priority but if we stay in the SPL (I think we will quite easily) I think he will turn this club around and return it to where it should be (top three in the SPL)

GGTTH :pfgwa

Agree. :)

heartbreaker
11-02-2012, 01:10 AM

I really like the bloke's approach. It is not easy to come from a backwater like Irish football ( sorry but its true ) to the relative big time at a Scottish big city big club. He could be a bit overawed but he comes across as ambitious, happy to be here and also realistic. I really do like his start.