PDA

View Full Version : NHC Capello Resigns

Barney McGrew
08-02-2012, 06:24 PM
As it says on the tin, confirmed on the FA website.

Here comes 'Arry...............

hibee92
08-02-2012, 06:27 PM
'Arry has a big decision to make.

Sean1875
:faf:

Gatecrasher
Big 'Arry to step up imo

ScottB
08-02-2012, 06:28 PM
All because they (more than rightly IMO) took the armband away from Terry?

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much...

Sammy7nil
08-02-2012, 06:28 PM
'Arry has a big decision to make.

Caretaker Manager until May with Arry assisting

Monts
08-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Really hope he stays at spurs.

Hibs On Tour
08-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Caretaker Manager until May with Arry assisting

Who? Cappello is gone with immediate effect according to the FA statement...

Sean1875
08-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Can see Hazza agreeing a deal to stay at Spurs till the end of the season then taking over for Euro 2012 onwards :agree:

BT58
08-02-2012, 06:35 PM
As long as the FA dont send harry an email
Ee dont do technology!!!!
Bt

SouthEnglandHib
Good for us English.

We're going to win Euro's now.

ScottB
Who? Cappello is gone with immediate effect according to the FA statement...

Because Harry, er any candidate in a job would be unlikely to bail out of their current job right now? In any case there'd be little for a new guy to do till the summer anyways...

cocopops1875
08-02-2012, 06:38 PM

I dislike JT as much as the next man, however not sure i agree with the stripping of the arm band as he currently is not guilty of anything :confused:

essexhibee
08-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Hahahahaha.

What an absolute piece of vermin terry is. Harry won't leave spurs seeing where they are at IMO.

Billy Whizz
08-02-2012, 06:40 PM
As it says on the tin, confirmed on the FA website.

Here comes 'Arry...............

As long as he doesn't take Joe Jordan as his assistant!

Easter Road X1
08-02-2012, 06:40 PM
The only think Harry ever won was a court case

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2012, 06:41 PM
I dislike JT as much as the next man, however not sure i agree with the stripping of the arm band as he currently is not guilty of anything :confused:

He's guilty as sin of being a prick, thats enough for me.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-02-2012, 06:42 PM
He has probably got the Inter job lined up for the start of next season!

Scott Allan Key
08-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Because Harry, er any candidate in a job would be unlikely to bail out of their current job right now? In any case there'd be little for a new guy to do till the summer anyways... I hope Redknapp stays on at Spurs. My second team are blossoming under him and I don' t want my admiration tainted by association with Team England.

ScottB
08-02-2012, 06:45 PM

Not saying he is, however, is it appropriate to have him captain of the current squad, potentially including his accusers brother?

Never mind that, at the moment he can't line up before the start of the game without the news focusing on who will or won't shake his hand. Taking the band away from him seems perfectly justified to me, he never should have had it back after the Bridge incident anyway. Personally I'd have him out the squad altogether till the incident is resolved.

ballengeich
08-02-2012, 07:11 PM

Yes. It sounds like he was looking for an escape from what he believed to be a hopeless task. Cue the media proclaiming England as the new favourites for the title.

carnoustiehibee
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
An Italian abandoning a sinking ship!

Who woulda thought

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
We'll never hear the end of this now, if Redknapp takes over he's a fool as he's got a right good thing going with Spurs, on the other hand if he does take it then that's the Euro champs and World Cup in the bag...isn't it? :rolleyes:

weonlywon6-2
08-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Good for us English.

We're going to win Euro's now.

it is good for England as i thought Cappello was over rated.

you wont win the euros though,there are better teams than England:na na:

Billy Whizz
08-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes. It sounds like he was looking for an escape from what he believed to be a hopeless task. Cue the media proclaiming England as the new favourites for the title.

He's probably bored of earning £5 million a year and as his age he couldn't be bothered fighting with the establishment

leither17
08-02-2012, 07:15 PM

and an FA cup

weonlywon6-2
08-02-2012, 07:16 PM
We'll never hear the end of this now, if Redknapp takes over he's a fool as he's got a right good thing going with Spurs, on the other hand if he does take it then that's the Euro champs and World Cup in the bag...isn't it? :rolleyes:

harry needs to stay at spurs as he has always been a nearly man.

they may well go for the chosen one

DAVE1875
08-02-2012, 07:17 PM

That and an FA Cup and Intertoto Cup

SanFranHibs
08-02-2012, 07:26 PM

That and the realisation that this was a move to undermine his authority. Why would FA chairman state this was the 'right course of action'?

I'm disappointed. I'm worried the next manager might improve them !!!

Hainan Hibs
08-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I'll have to admit I'd side with Capello over this. The FA shouldn't have undermined his position like they did.

NOLA
08-02-2012, 07:43 PM
wow:confused: wasnt expecting that

LancashireHibby
08-02-2012, 08:04 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nEe4G_E0aHg/TQthKMFQ2dI/AAAAAAAAAMU/_TOjhhM4jjc/s1600/Mike_Bassett_England_Manager_6212_Medium.jpg

The Voice Of Reason
08-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Capello really should stop dying his barnett.......he looks ridiculous.

Just saying likes :greengrin

mca
08-02-2012, 08:26 PM
An Italian abandoning a sinking ship!

Who woulda thought

Does fabio like submarines tho.....

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-02-2012, 08:39 PM
The FA are playing politics I think and looking to the future. Spurs could still win the EPL this season, and even if they don't, they could have their best finish for a while and be top dogs in London. That is an attactive position for Spurs to be in and maybe more attractive than England will be when they exit the Euros early doors and when Capello would have got the tin tack anyway.

Baldy Foghorn
08-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Saying on SSN that Capello was on £6 million per year, that is obscene IMO

bighairyfaeleith
08-02-2012, 09:28 PM
The manager picks the team and captain. Anything else is simply unacceptable so I agree with capello

Baldy Foghorn
08-02-2012, 09:33 PM
The manager picks the team and captain. Anything else is simply unacceptable so I agree with capello

Capello wont take the yams job anytime soon then:greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
08-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Capello wont take the yams job anytime soon then:greengrin

nah he draws the line at picking paedos:wink:

lyonhibs
08-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Couldnt care less. Fair play to Capello for having the stones to tell the FA to shove it. Doesnt matter which manager takes over the post, England will win dick all in the nxt 10-20 years IMO

Sir David Gray
08-02-2012, 09:41 PM

I agree with this, that is the way it should always be.

However, I read somewhere last week that it was written into Capello's contract that the FA board had the ultimate decision when deciding who had the captaincy.

If that is true, and Capello's signed it at the time of his appointment, then he can have no complaints about this really.

I agree with the decision taken to strip Terry of the armband. I take the point that he hasn't yet been found guilty of any crime. However it's quite common for people to be temporarily suspended from their job whilst they are under suspicion of an offence.

John Terry's no different in that respect.

NOLA
08-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I can see why the engs want rednapp as manager as hes doing a great job at spurs, but i would think he wants to stay at spurs and achieve more things there, plus i think the english fa dont have much time for harry, too opinionated. guss hiddink is a good shout!

Northernhibee
08-02-2012, 09:48 PM

If I were to be accused of racially abusing a colleague or client at my work, I'd be suspended pending investigation - the workplace isn't a court of law.

Don't see why the Terry situation should be any different.

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2012, 09:54 PM
If I were to be accused of racially abusing a colleague or client at my work, I'd be suspended pending investigation - the workplace isn't a court of law.

Don't see why the Terry situation should be any different.

Yes but if you were not suspended would you be happy to have your seniority removed pending the outcome of the investigation? Suspend him from playing for England or leave him alone IMO

bighairyfaeleith
08-02-2012, 10:08 PM
I agree with this, that is the way it should always be.

However, I read somewhere last week that it was written into Capello's contract that the FA board had the ultimate decision when deciding who had the captaincy.

If that is true, and Capello's signed it at the time of his appointment, then he can have no complaints about this really.

I agree with the decision taken to strip Terry of the armband. I take the point that he hasn't yet been found guilty of any crime. However it's quite common for people to be temporarily suspended from their job whilst they are under suspicion of an offence.

John Terry's no different in that respect.

I understand but as scouse hibees has said, suspend him or let him do his job. imagine you worked as a manager and because someone made a complaint about you, your employer made you work as a cleaner until the complaint was heard.

It's fairly dodgy ground that.

Written into his contract or not, it shouldn't happen. Just the same as players shouldn't be able to influence who gets picked, neither should chairman or FA's.

It might be legally ok but in footballing terms it's wrong.

bighairyfaeleith
08-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Couldnt care less. Fair play to Capello for having the stones to tell the FA to shove it. Doesnt matter which manager takes over the post, England will win dick all in the nxt 10-20 years IMO

:agree:

Too many billy big baws and not enough talent!!

Northernhibee
08-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Yes but if you were not suspended would you be happy to have your seniority removed pending the outcome of the investigation? Suspend him from playing for England or leave him alone IMO

If he turned out to be innocent of wrongdoing after an investigation, reinstate him by all means.

When there was as public an investigation being carried out with the nature of alleged offences, his position was temporarily untenable.

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2012, 10:40 PM
If he turned out to be innocent of wrongdoing after an investigation, reinstate him by all means.

When there was as public an investigation being carried out with the nature of alleged offences, his position was temporarily untenable.

You've missed the point and haven't answered my question! Suspend him from playing for England or do nothing, simply demoting him is wrong IMO.

ian cruise
09-02-2012, 07:18 AM
When Capello first removed Terry as captain and Ferdinand and Gerrard were given shots (possibly others too) were there not quotes from him saying who was captain was of no importance, much to the indignation of the english media? He's a hypocrite.

Hibs90
09-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Laughing at the 4 of them on This Morning. Talking utter garbage.

IWasThere2016
09-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Stuart Pearce to be interim coach for Holland game

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2012, 02:28 PM
When Capello first removed Terry as captain and Ferdinand and Gerrard were given shots (possibly others too) were there not quotes from him saying who was captain was of no importance, much to the indignation of the english media? He's a hypocrite.

:agree: He said something about tossing the coin being no big deal iirc? Yip he did not think captain was anything special, just someone who wore the armband and tossed the coin.

I agree, he's a hypocrite.

Andy74
09-02-2012, 03:33 PM
:agree: He said something about tossing the coin being no big deal iirc? Yip he did not think captain was anything special, just someone who wore the armband and tossed the coin.

It might not be anything special but at least he should have the say so over it.

I've someone in my team that just does the admin. I'd be a bit unhappy if someone esle decided for me who that person should be.

s.a.m
09-02-2012, 04:34 PM
It might not be anything special but at least he should have the say so over it.

I've someone in my team that just does the admin. I'd be a bit unhappy if someone esle decided for me who that person should be.

While I know what you mean, say your admin person was charged with a very public and widely reported criminal act, which had the potential to cause difficulties and embarrassment for the organisation, had their trial date set for a time that was going to create further difficulties and embarrassment for the organisation, and you chose to side with him, and leave him in post. It's possible that your employers would see that as a situation that had implications beyond the confines of your team, and was of importance to the organisation as a whole. I would agree with you if the FA had dropped him for footballing reasons, but they haven't, and I think many organisations take similar action (i.e. temporarily sideline someone who is subject to potential disciplinary or legal action, pending results).

That's a long way round saying that this is not a football matter and, as such, I don't think they're out of order.:greengrin

I do think they've made a dog's dinner of the whole business, though.

The ideal solution - or at least, IMO - would have been for Terry to say something along the lines of: I strongly protest my innocence, and hope to prove this at trial. However, this matter is clearly going to be an unwelcome distraction to the team in the run-up to the summer, and I believe it is right and proper for me to hand over the captaincy for the time being, so that the team can concentrate on what matters.

Haymaker
09-02-2012, 04:43 PM
From the people I know who work for the FA (not high level but still around) there are alot of issues surrounding the national team and interference - several of my sources believe that the FA demand certain players are in the squads regardless of form or fitness and I know from personal experience that they are very much an "old boys club" and very, very set in their ways.

I rate Capello, you dont win the trophies he has by being *****. He has a history of dropping players (huge players like Raul and Beckham) who arent playing well or commited. I find it strange that he gets the England job and continues to pick players who arent playing well, arent fit or clearly arent commited.

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2012, 08:18 PM

Even if that person was a serial trouble maker? I think if you kept appointing the wrong people, your superiors might have to step in?

Jonnyboy
09-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Given his apparent unpopularity with Engurland fans it's ironic is it not that his record as England manager is better than Alf Ramsay's to name but one :shocked:

Five Live saying 66% win rate which ain't too shabby

Scott Allan Key
09-02-2012, 08:59 PM

Yes, did he not also drop Terry when he was accused of adultery with a team-mates girlfriend, but when he is accused of racially abusing a team-mate's brother, he is apparently raging at FA, (whom IMHO did the right thing as one might expect suspension at work pending outcome of proceedings).

The Green Goblin
09-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Given his apparent unpopularity with Engurland fans it's ironic is it not that his record as England manager is better than Alf Ramsay's to name but one :shocked:

Five Live saying 66% win rate which ain't too shabby

You might need to take the World Cup win into account when balancing those stats out.

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2012, 09:19 PM
You might need to take the World Cup win into account when balancing those stats out.

When did that happen, i have not heard this before?

Jonnyboy
09-02-2012, 09:28 PM

I reckon they were talking about games won as opposed to trophies

Not one thousand nineteen hundred and sixty six percent sure though :greengrin

The Green Goblin
09-02-2012, 09:41 PM
When did that happen, i have not heard this before?

haha. yes, indeed. they had a bit of help from the sidelines, from what i heard...

BroxburnHibee
09-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Listening to Talksport on the way home every day is a hoot.

It won't matter who the manager is - England players are just not good enough.

Would Rooney or Gerrard get in the Spain team? No chance.

Scouse Hibee
09-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Listening to Talksport on the way home every day is a hoot.

It won't matter who the manager is - England players are just not good enough.

Would Rooney or Gerrard get in the Spain team? No chance.

No, they may have been on holiday to Spain but I'm almost certain that's not enough to qualify them as Spanish players!

jacomo
10-02-2012, 02:56 PM
I'll have to admit I'd side with Capello over this. The FA shouldn't have undermined his position like they did.

If Capello was stupid enough not to see the distraction that would be caused by having the England captain having charges of racial abuse hanging over him during the tournament, then the FA had no choice.

The England has an ambassadorial role that's arguably more important than their role on the pitch. Would have been an absolute PR disaster if Terry had been allowed to keep the armband. Hence, the decision rightly becomes one for the FA as a whole and Capello picked the wrong fight.

Dashing Bob S
10-02-2012, 03:00 PM
If Capello was stupid enough not to see the distraction that would be caused by having the England captain having charges of racial abuse hanging over him during the tournament, then the FA had no choice.

The England has an ambassadorial role that's arguably more important than their role on the pitch. Would have been an absolute PR disaster if Terry had been allowed to keep the armband. Hence, the decision rightly becomes one for the FA as a whole and Capello picked the wrong fight.

Don't think Capello is stupid. He probably realizes that these turkey's ain't good enough and would only blot his CV by underachieving as per usual, making the quarters before getting roasted by quality. Resigning 'on principle' allows his to step into the next top job all squeaky clean.

Then the FA appoint Nooky the Bear...

BurghHibby
10-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Don't think Capello is stupid. He probably realizes that these turkey's ain't good enough and would only blot his CV by underachieving as per usual, making the quarters before getting roasted by quality. Resigning 'on principle' allows his to step into the next top job all squeaky clean.

:aok: Spot on, my thoughts exactly, apart from the Nooky bear bit though!

Jonnyboy
10-02-2012, 07:40 PM

Nail on the head there Bob :agree:

Haymaker
11-02-2012, 04:11 AM

Surely this should have been done immediately though? He should have been suspended from the captaincy and the england team while the investigation took place - not wait until now to make an announcement?

Seems strange.

CropleyWasGod
11-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Surely this should have been done immediately though? He should have been suspended from the captaincy and the england team while the investigation took place - not wait until now to make an announcement?

Seems strange.

The FA expected the trial to take place in April, before the Euros. Therefore suspending him immediately (on being charged) would have had little effect. It was the fact that the trial was postponed (just last week) until July, after the Euros, that caused the problem.