PDA

View Full Version : Post Liquidation?

green glory
08-02-2012, 02:32 PM
An interesting article written by Phil Mac Giolla Bhain in Scotzine.

http://www.scotzine.com/2012/02/the-psychological-landscape-of-scottish-football-has-changed/

Without wanting to put the cart before the horse there are a lot of intersting possibilities in a scenario where 'The Raynjurs' cease to exist. Maybe in the short term Sellick would walk the league, but long term there would be more competition in the SPL and European football for at least one other Scottish club in the absence of the bigots. A possible redistribution of their fanbase throughout Scotland as the 'loyal' and the gloryhunters seek other entertainment on a Saturday afternoon. Smaller league sides and junior clubs maybe benifitting.

As for TV revenue, the uglies get most of it anyway, and think of the social benefits of there no longer being that focal point of hatred four times a season as the uglies vent their archaic bile at each other.

The Yams are on their knees financially, and will hopefully be greatly weakened next season, assuming they survive.

If Fenlon can do the job for us I think (should that be hope?) he can, then next season could be an exciting time to be a Hibby.

The future could be bright, maybe even green and white! :flag:

HibbyAndy
08-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Off topic here:greengrin

But IF we make the SC Final and play Celtic who in turn win the league do we get a cheeky wee european place?..I hink the rules have changed tho so may not be the case.

hibee92
08-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Off topic here:greengrin

But IF we make the SC Final and play Celtic who in turn win the league do we get a cheeky wee european place?..I hink the rules have changed tho so may not be the case.

That's still the case mate.

HibbyAndy
08-02-2012, 02:42 PM
That's still the case mate.

Happy days:greengrin

Mon the cup run:agree:

Keith_M
08-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Never mind the story, how do you pronounce the guy's name?

I'm presuming it's actually humorous when read out loud but can't work it out myself.

:embarrass

Craig_in_Prague
08-02-2012, 02:49 PM
If the year we finally win the SC, was the same as Hearts and Rangers both going pop as clubs........well, it wouldn't half have been worth the wait :cb

green glory
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM

I'm presuming it's actually humorous when read out loud but can't work it out myself.

Phil Macilbain I think.

green glory
08-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Another interesting article, Jim Spence this time. The lack of any real attempt by the fans to do anything, or organise protests, unlike a certain club I could think of. :agree:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jimspence/2012/02/rangers.html

JeMeSouviens
08-02-2012, 03:20 PM

http://www.libraryireland.com/names/macg/mac-giolla-bhain.php

--------
08-02-2012, 03:31 PM
http://www.libraryireland.com/names/macg/mac-giolla-bhain.php

Scottified perhaps into McIllvanney?

I see it can also be translated 'White' or 'Whyte'. :hmmm:

The_Todd
08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Phil Mac Giolla Bhain = :asshole:

He's more interested in changing his name to sound more Irish and poking at Rangers with a stick than he is with his own beloved Celtic. His obsession with Rangers knows no bounds.

I'm no lover of Rangers, and I'm quite pleased to see them reaping what they've sown but I cannot stand that sniveling little toad of a "journalist" either.

Sas_The_Hibby
08-02-2012, 07:59 PM
If the year we finally win the SC, was the same as Hearts and Rangers both going pop as clubs........well, it wouldn't half have been worth the wait :cb

Even though we get relegated the same season! :stirrer:

Though on second thoughts, with Rangers and Hearts gone there'd be no relegation. It'a win win win situation! :aok:

Sas_The_Hibby
08-02-2012, 08:16 PM
The articles a bit fanciful IMO, in assuming former Rangers fans would just start supporting 'Well, Killie or Hearts.

There would be a concerted, and almost certainly successful, effort to create Rangers United or whatever and, even if they had to start in the Third Division (or the Junior Leagues :greengrin ), they'd be seen as a continuation of Rangers and supported by the same horde, eventually returning to the top flight unfortunately.

Alternatively Partick Thistle could go on to dominate European football...................

Prof. Shaggy
08-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I expect that in the event that Rangers are seriously threatened financially, various unexpected sources might provide sustenance.
They're called the Old Firm, aren't they?:wink:

snooky
08-02-2012, 11:41 PM

http://www.scotzine.com/2012/02/the-psychological-landscape-of-scottish-football-has-changed/

Without wanting to put the cart before the horse there are a lot of intersting possibilities in a scenario where 'The Raynjurs' cease to exist. Maybe in the short term Sellick would walk the league, but long term there would be more competition in the SPL and European football for at least one other Scottish club in the absence of the bigots. A possible redistribution of their fanbase throughout Scotland as the 'loyal' and the gloryhunters seek other entertainment on a Saturday afternoon. Smaller league sides and junior clubs maybe benifitting.

As for TV revenue, the uglies get most of it anyway, and think of the social benefits of there no longer being that focal point of hatred four times a season as the uglies vent their archaic bile at each other.

The Yams are on their knees financially, and will hopefully be greatly weakened next season, assuming they survive.

If Fenlon can do the job for us I think (should that be hope?) he can, then next season could be an exciting time to be a Hibby.

Am I right in saying that without Rangers in the SPL, the voting setup could allow a change in payment distribution?
As you need 11-1 to change the rules, the OF always scupper any motions that see their unbalanced share threatened.
Celtic could be cut down to size financially by the 'new eleven'.
Bring it on :-)

--------
09-02-2012, 12:06 AM

He's more interested in changing his name to sound more Irish and poking at Rangers with a stick than he is with his own beloved Celtic. His obsession with Rangers knows no bounds.

I'm no lover of Rangers, and I'm quite pleased to see them reaping what they've sown but I cannot stand that sniveling little toad of a "journalist" either.

:agree:

I do tend to to be predisposed to think that someone who goes out of his way to spell his name the Gaelic way while writing in the English-language press - possibly just to puzzle the Anglophones? - could very well turn out to be a wee bit of a plonker.

Like certain 'professional Highlanders' I know. :devil:

skipster7
09-02-2012, 09:26 AM
whoever goes bust first will just switch their support to their hun brothers:agree:

lucky
09-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Even if rangers go bust they will still exist. They will just reinvent themselves with a different patent company. The SPL needs them. If there's no rangers then tv, sponsorship and attendances will fall. So its a wet dream that them or there wee brothers will not exist

Earl o'Montrose
09-02-2012, 10:21 AM
When will these muppet OF loving hacks ever learn that the word 'provincial' means "inhabitants of the regions outside the capital city of a country"? That means that all non-edinburgh clubs, including Celtc and der Hun are, indeed, provincial clubs! :taxi

kennyh
09-02-2012, 10:38 AM
If either of them go BOOM who is to say what will happen to the grounds. Both could be sold to clear HMRC / general debts

HMFC without Tyne for their 400K fans to flock to would mean they need to adjust to life at somwhere like Meadowbank or we could allow them to ground share for a fee (payable 30 days in advance of course). I am sure Rod would be open to negotiate a "reasonable" fee with them.

Huns with no Ibrox isn't quite as bad when you think about it as I am sure that Queens Pk/SFA/SPL would be happy to let them ground share so they would instantly have the same capacity as just now only less commercial opportunities for corporate bods to enjoy a prawn sarnie but with no chance of Euro cash / excitement for several seasons ST sales will fall off a cliff and they will be back to much smaller crowds again.

The only hope for anyone elses support to grow is when the next generation of kids dont follow their pals, dads, uncles whoever to see 07HMFC or 1690 RFC and decide to follow their local teams as folk used to.

DCI Gene Hunt
09-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Even if rangers go bust they will still exist. They will just reinvent themselves with a different patent company. The SPL needs them. If there's no rangers then tv, sponsorship and attendances will fall. So its a wet dream that them or there wee brothers will not exist

My bold.

I often hear this one trotted out whenever anyone mentions how things would be without the Ugly Sisters. Personally I think all such talk is cack.

"The SPL needs them." No we don't. Rainjurz/Sellick have total domination of the league, and everyone wonders why football is failing in this country? It's pretty obvious that if you have the same teams winning everything for 25 years then no wonder the standard drops thru the floor and everyone gets bored with it.

"If there's no Rangers then TV, sponsorship and attendances will fall." Yes, yes and no. So all the big money men lose interest if the Ugly Sisters leave. Oh dear what a shame. Is this a bad thing? Perhaps it is what the game needs! I think Big Money has ruined football and perhaps what is needed in the Scottish game is a reality check, to be brought back down to Earth so to speak. Clubs living within their means and bringing up home-grown talent. We also would have a very competative league with no Tic/Jurz spending ££££££££ on big foreign names and nobody else being able to keep up, and home-grown players being brought up thru the ranks. So there wouldn't be as much money... big deal? What's wrong with that? I go to watch entertaining and competitive football, as everyone else does.

Due to a more competitive (and hence exciting/entertaining) league, attendances would rise massively without Tic or Jurz. Also because of the removal of Big Money tickets would be slightly cheaper so more people would come.

The best thing that could happen for the SPL would be for the Ugly Sisters to leave. More competition, more entertainment, better football, and no BIGOTRY!

As for if Hertz went bust, I couldn't care less. They knew what they were doing when they sold their souls to the devil... or rather a shady Eastern European money man. Bought with promises that Big Money would bring Big Success, they spent money they didn't have and have nothing to show for it. Hell mend them, and may their misfortune/calamity serve as a very strong warning to all others tempted by that path... :cb

Gene

JeMeSouviens
09-02-2012, 12:32 PM

I agree they will reinvent themselves but there's no way the SPL should let them back in. TV and sponsorship money will drop but it will hit all the clubs. We should cut our cloth accordingly and get on with it. Otherwise, we are accepting that competition in Scottish football is not just practically dead at the moment but officially outlawed forever. If that's the case, what's the ****** point?

stokesmessiah
09-02-2012, 01:01 PM

Just read that article and i have to say IMHO that it is complete Jobbies.

Firstly i want to say that i hope the worst happens to Rangers i really do, they have been cheating all along and not just by bringing in better players they can afford therefore rendering competion in the SPL as obsolete. They have also been cheating the tax system which the average punter cannot afford an accountant to get around and has no option but to pay their dues.

However this article stinks of rather green tinted specs...The Anti-Irish racism and catholic hatred in Scotland??? Nonsense..you mean in the west. Also, he says the financial arguments coming from Stewart Regan are shrill and fact free, can someone please advise me of the exact science that was behind his fag packet maths when he divvied up the Rangers fans throughout the sleeping giant clubs in the west???

Would not wipe my rear end with that article.

easty
09-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Would not wipe my rear end with that article.

It's an online article......naebodys going to wipe thier ass with thier laptop....:wink:

green glory
09-02-2012, 02:03 PM
It's an online article......naebodys going to wipe thier ass with thier laptop....:wink:

Might do if it was maroon. :cb

ancient hibee
09-02-2012, 02:33 PM
My bold.

I often hear this one trotted out whenever anyone mentions how things would be without the Ugly Sisters. Personally I think all such talk is cack.

"The SPL needs them." No we don't. Rainjurz/Sellick have total domination of the league, and everyone wonders why football is failing in this country? It's pretty obvious that if you have the same teams winning everything for 25 years then no wonder the standard drops thru the floor and everyone gets bored with it.

"If there's no Rangers then TV, sponsorship and attendances will fall." Yes, yes and no. So all the big money men lose interest if the Ugly Sisters leave. Oh dear what a shame. Is this a bad thing? Perhaps it is what the game needs! I think Big Money has ruined football and perhaps what is needed in the Scottish game is a reality check, to be brought back down to Earth so to speak. Clubs living within their means and bringing up home-grown talent. We also would have a very competative league with no Tic/Jurz spending ££££££££ on big foreign names and nobody else being able to keep up, and home-grown players being brought up thru the ranks. So there wouldn't be as much money... big deal? What's wrong with that? I go to watch entertaining and competitive football, as everyone else does.

Due to a more competitive (and hence exciting/entertaining) league, attendances would rise massively without Tic or Jurz. Also because of the removal of Big Money tickets would be slightly cheaper so more people would come.

The best thing that could happen for the SPL would be for the Ugly Sisters to leave. More competition, more entertainment, better football, and no BIGOTRY!

As for if Hertz went bust, I couldn't care less. They knew what they were doing when they sold their souls to the devil... or rather a shady Eastern European money man. Bought with promises that Big Money would bring Big Success, they spent money they didn't have and have nothing to show for it. Hell mend them, and may their misfortune/calamity serve as a very strong warning to all others tempted by that path... :cb

Gene

Without wishing to be rude you are living in cloud cuckoo land.The idea that Scottish football could survive with less money coming in is fantasy.There will never be a massive rise in attendances-most football "fans"in Scotland are happy to watch the EPL on Sky.In any event whatever happens Rangers will not disappear from the SPL as the other clubs will not allow it to happen.Replace a home match with Rangers with one against Ross County?That'll be right.

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2012, 02:34 PM
If they did go pop, and had to restart in the 3rd division. The 11-1 majority voting rig would surely be smashed, and a new set of rules regarding the distribution of wealth. Win win, or are the rest of us still to weak to do anything about it?

JeMeSouviens
09-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Without wishing to be rude you are living in cloud cuckoo land.The idea that Scottish football could survive with less money coming in is fantasy.

Why?

Let's say Hibs would lose £1M, that's still way more than St Mirren have now. Can St Mirren survive now? Yes.

Sure, everybody's income would reduce but as long as all the clubs are hit then its a level playing field. Would a Sky minus Huns deal be any worse than the low deal the clubs had to accept from the Beeb a few years back? What did we all do before Sky were involved? The real losers would be players and their agents. Maybe a lower wage version of the SPL would have more accent on youth and home grown players. It might even, shock, be good in the long run.

... but all that aside, any supposedly competitive league that says 2 of its member clubs are immune from relegation for all time is completely and utterly ****ed and we might as well all give up now.

Bishop Hibee
09-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Without wishing to be rude you are living in cloud cuckoo land.The idea that Scottish football could survive with less money coming in is fantasy.There will never be a massive rise in attendances-most football "fans"in Scotland are happy to watch the EPL on Sky.In any event whatever happens Rangers will not disappear from the SPL as the other clubs will not allow it to happen.Replace a home match with Rangers with one against Ross County?That'll be right.

No other club did a thing when we were going to go out of existence but we should bail out Rangers and/or Hearts in some way to help them. Stuff that! Let them die and restart in the 3rd division at best if their fans can be bothered. They don't seem too worried about their problems at the moment.

Andy74
09-02-2012, 03:13 PM
The main media argument is always that the SPL would lose out and we would get little TV or sponsorship money.

So what?

How much of that do we get now anyway?

How successful are we all in Europe or even domestically with that money now?

In terms of attendances yes, you can take away four home old firm games and swap them with a Falkirk or Ross County. This would lose you probably 20,000 attendees across a season.

However, if the likes of Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Motherwell and hopefully ourselves were tight at the top of the league and going for titles then I'm farily sure that the games gainst all of these types of teams would go up a fair bit.

No, we woudn;t get the OF scraps of cash but we would all be quite happy at the elvel that was left.

As I said, what exactly do we have to lose - how much worse can it get for the clubs outwith the OF in a competitive sense??

ancient hibee
09-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Why?

Let's say Hibs would lose £1M, that's still way more than St Mirren have now. Can St Mirren survive now? Yes.

Sure, everybody's income would reduce but as long as all the clubs are hit then its a level playing field. Would a Sky minus Huns deal be any worse than the low deal the clubs had to accept from the Beeb a few years back? What did we all do before Sky were involved? The real losers would be players and their agents. Maybe a lower wage version of the SPL would have more accent on youth and home grown players. It might even, shock, be good in the long run.

... but all that aside, any supposedly competitive league that says 2 of its member clubs are immune from relegation for all time is completely and utterly ****ed and we might as well all give up now.

We are already losing over a million a year-how do you pay players who are under contract if income drops further?Professional footballers play for money so they'll go where the money is if they are any good-what do you think that'll do for the standard of Scottish football?The level playing field you talk about would be set at absolute mediocrity.Clubs like St.Mirren who are playing nicer football than they have for a while are lucky to get 3000 at a game now.A lower standard of player and they could shut the door especially when you can watch the best players in the world on TV for a few quid a month.

Andy74
09-02-2012, 03:28 PM
We are already losing over a million a year-how do you pay players who are under contract if income drops further?Professional footballers play for money so they'll go where the money is if they are any good-what do you think that'll do for the standard of Scottish football?The level playing field you talk about would be set at absolute mediocrity.Clubs like St.Mirren who are playing nicer football than they have for a while are lucky to get 3000 at a game now.A lower standard of player and they could shut the door especially when you can watch the best players in the world on TV for a few quid a month.

That doesn't really add up - junior football is well attended locally, more than that standard should be, due to being competitive and being local.

I go to see Hibs and if they are competitive that's great. I'm not all that bothered if that standard was the same as the EPL or the same as junior football, so long as the league we were playing in was worth watching.

Is the current set up worth watching?

We pay for slightly better players but what is the point?

DCI Gene Hunt
10-02-2012, 05:13 PM

No problem, you're not being rude :) As I more or less said in my post, of course the SPL would not survive in its current form. Which I think is overwhelmingly a good thing.

"Fans" in Scotland watching the EPL on Sky do so because it means they don't have to travel 3-400 miles and pay £50 or whatever it is these days for a ticket at Yoonahted or Chelski etc., instead they can sit at home at watch it on the gogglebox with the central heating on listening to Charlie Nicholas et al talking pish and having meaningless stats flashed up on the screen at random intervals (e.g. "Player - distance run during game - WTF? How's they work that out? Who ****** cares anyway???).

The attendances situation depends on what you go to a football match for. If you go in order to get the tits bored off you all season by watching the same teams win everything all the time and experience their fans shouting disgusting bigoted abuse then you'll probably prefer to see Rangers. As for the rest of us who go to watch entertaining football, I couldn't care if it was Rangers, Ross County or Spartans we were playing, if it resulted in entertaining and competitive football then attendances would skyrocket. Also helped by the fact that in the absence of the spivs and cheeseballs with the cash then ticket prices would probably be in the region of something sensible like £10-15 maximum, and therefore a father taking his kids to ER on a Saturday afternoon to watch their team play and be entertained would be financially speaking a viable prospect again.

Rose(or rather, green :D)-tinted vision of the future perhaps but much better than the keech we currently have...

Gene

fatbloke
10-02-2012, 06:41 PM

So its no just me who canny stomach this er5e. He's hoping the currants go bust and anyway his mob are just as guilty as the other one at keeping the sectarian 5hittt alive.

Rangers and Sellick 2 cheeks same er5e ENDOF.

s.a.m
10-02-2012, 07:47 PM
That doesn't really add up - junior football is well attended locally, more than that standard should be, due to being competitive and being local.

I go to see Hibs and if they are competitive that's great. I'm not all that bothered if that standard was the same as the EPL or the same as junior football, so long as the league we were playing in was worth watching.

Is the current set up worth watching?

We pay for slightly better players but what is the point?

:agree: That's where I am.
I remember when the 10 team league proposal came up, someone (Neil Donacaster, maybe?) said: "but the clubs need the money, so you can carry on watching the kind of player that that money buys you[or somesuch]". As if that was any kind of inducement.:rolleyes:

southern hibby
10-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Why?

I agree it would be a level playing field and as god is my witness I'm all for it, however if rangers did go bust and there was a chance of them being thrown out and a re address of TV wealth could be voted on, would their little sister vote for it. Yes in the long run each team would get more money and it would be better for us all. BUT mad Vlad wants ride of them and can't afford them ( so we are lead to believe). He wouldn't want to Loose to much tv money at present as the ( wages) are crippling him.

On another topic I could see the **** of Europe voting for a cape on spending and they would probably want to set it at a very realistic price, roughly about £24.99 including VAT. ( per year not per transfer window).

GGTTH