PDA

View Full Version : NHC Harry Redknapp

Pretty Boy
08-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Cleared on two counts of tax evasion.

Mandaric also cleared and now revealed both he and Peter Storrie were cleared in a seperate case last year.

hibsbollah
08-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Im surprised. The HMRC seemed to have a strong case. A few Spurs fans on the jury maybe? :greengrin

allezsauzee
08-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Maybe Craig Whyte should contact Harry's lawyers?

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Either that or get himself a dog!

Hibee Hibernian
08-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Guilty as hell IMHO, But a likeable guy, which nowadays helps,

Jim44
08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I knew that shifty look was just covering up a respectable and mis-understood individual. :rolleyes:

Spike Mandela
08-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Justice in the UK is the best that money can buy.:wink:

ShanksSaidNo
08-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Harry Houdini!

CropleyWasGod
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
H.M.R.C. Pedant writes:-

Now that it has been established that the money given by Mr. Mandaric to Mr. Redknapp was a gift, can we assume that the appropriate Inheritance Tax declaration has been made?

easty
08-02-2012, 01:37 PM
But a likeable guy, which nowadays helps,

I guess that's a matter of opinion, as I've always thought he's come accross as a bit of a dick. This trial hasn't dampened that either.

heretoday
08-02-2012, 02:09 PM
If there hadn't been a jury he'd have been off to the nick by now! Old school charm wins the day for Harry.

The_Exile
08-02-2012, 02:28 PM
I guess I should declare I'm a Tottenham fan before posting this. I'm not a huge fan of Redknapp, but he's got us playing amazing stuff. What was the tax amount he supposedly dodged, 33k was it? I mean, he's worth about 12 million I heard, why would he need or want to dodge 33k worth of tax? It's like me dodging a 3 quid tax bill, what's the point in it all?

Shifty as **** though. Wouldnae trust him to open a can of beans that was already open.

easty
08-02-2012, 02:36 PM
What was the tax amount he supposedly dodged, 33k was it? I mean, he's worth about 12 million I heard, why would he need or want to dodge 33k worth of tax?

That's one of the reasons I found him to be a bit of a **** during this trial. He sort of sneered off £33k like it was nothing. He's a classless prick.

Bohemian_Hibee
08-02-2012, 02:38 PM
But.....his dog was found guilty :wink:

So, let's get this right, the next England manager has been cleared of all charges. Quelle surprise!, British justice as it's best. Unbelievable Jeff

--------
08-02-2012, 02:40 PM
That's one of the reasons I found him to be a bit of a **** during this trial. He sort of sneered off £33k like it was nothing. He's a classless prick.

But an innocent one. Officially. :wink:

On another tangent, I have a bit of sympathy of Mrs Jamie Redknapp - imagine looking at Harry and thinking, "Jamie's gonnae look like that when he's a bit older..."

The_Exile
08-02-2012, 02:43 PM

33k is nothing to him though, he's probably guilty of being a thick ****, nowt more, I sincerely doubt he would be bright enough to try a 33k tax dodge, that's pocket change to him, I'd have jailed him and his dug for looking like each other.

easty
08-02-2012, 02:44 PM
33k is nothing to him though, he's probably guilty of being a thick ****, nowt more, I sincerely doubt he would be bright enough to try a 33k tax dodge, that's pocket change to him, I'd have jailed him and his dug for looking like each other.

£33k isn't "nothing" to him. I don't think he'd be bright enough to do it either, but I believe he'd be stupid enough.

HFC 0-7
08-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I dont think Harry set out to dodge the tax, firstly 33K as other have said isnt that much to him, there was no real point of him trying to dodge tax for such a little amount compared to how much he does pay in tax. Secondly he did say in another investigation that he had an offshore account when other managers involved in the investigation refused to answer that question. If he had something to hide, he would have declined to answer that question back then. What is crazy, is that according to Sky Sports the trial and investigation cost the tax payer 8 million!

heretoday
08-02-2012, 03:07 PM
He is even more likely now to head for the England job. But who will take over at Spurs? Not Chris Hughton and his glamorous assistant surely?

Largshibby
08-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Its amazing how people are always "disorganised" the right way when it comes to paying taxes/bills. You never hear of folk overpaying their taxes because they are disorganised.

John_the_angus_hibby
08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Don't buy the £33k is nothing defence. In my experience if you are worth a few bob, you are more aware of 'loses'. Also generally the more you have the more you feel that you have contributed enough to the state (not my position I hasten to add) and generally go out of your way to avoid tax. Of course he was found innocent and did not evade tax.

I'm just surprised if that was the case. Once a wheeler dealer...

Sent from another universe!

Hibbyradge
08-02-2012, 04:18 PM
He stood trial in front of his peers who decided that he wasn't guilty of the charges.

Why are there Hibs fans unhappy about that?

easty
08-02-2012, 04:21 PM
He stood trial in front of his peers who decided that he wasn't guilty of the charges.

OJ Simpson was less guilty than that red faced welt.

--------
08-02-2012, 04:22 PM

:agree: Unless of course, the jury, the judge and the Crown Prosecution Service are all in a conspiracy to see Spurs win the EPL this season ....

The guy was found 'not guilty'. End of.

Insinuations to the contrary could be construed as defamatory.

easty
08-02-2012, 04:26 PM
:agree: Unless of course, the jury, the judge and the Crown Prosecution Service are all in a conspiracy to see Spurs win the EPL this season ....

The guy was found 'not guilty'. End of.

Insinuations to the contrary could be construed as defamatory.

Hows this for defamatory...Harry Redknapp is a liar, he's a crook, he goes out and steals sweets from kids at Halloween and he is a supporter of Abu Qatada.

Harpandcastle
08-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Always nice to see someone get a result against the tax man. Hopefully he has the resources and time to go after the organisation who put him through hell for 5 years. I hope the individual in charge of the investigation who has cost the tax payer around £10m chasing circa £30k is already en route to the dole que.

--------
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Hows this for defamatory...Harry Redknapp is a liar, he's a crook, he goes out and steals sweets from kids at Halloween and he is a supporter of Abu Qatada.

Behave yourself. You're just being silly :tsk tsk:

Always nice to see someone get a result against the tax man. Hopefully he has the resources and time to go after the organisation who put him through hell for 5 years. I hope the individual in charge of the investigation who has cost the tax payer around £10m chasing circa £30k is already en route to the dole que.

This is a very good point. Do HMRC have any means of ensuring that these inquiries remain cost-effective? Hardly an effective use for the tax-payers' money?

Pretty Boy
08-02-2012, 04:50 PM

That would be my take on it.

I'm no expert on the case but the more I read about and seen on tv about this case the less convinced I was that Redknapp was guilty.

It's up to a preosecution to prove beyond reasonable that someone is guilty, if they fail to do this that is their failing and not the fault of Redknapp who excercise his right to a defence.

Why people are so connvinced of his guilt without, I'd assume, any.more info about the case than the rest of us is beyond me.

The_Exile
08-02-2012, 04:51 PM

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and have a guess that you're perhaps maybe not entirely Harry's biggest fan? :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Behave yourself. You're just being silly :tsk tsk:

This is a very good point. Do HMRC have any means of ensuring that these inquiries remain cost-effective? Hardly an effective use for the tax-payers' money?

IMO, it was meant to be a message to all potential tax-evaders. A message, of course, that won't get through given the verdict.

Being in the tax game myself, I am very surprised at the verdict. Given the relatively low potential tax loss, I assumed that HMRC's case would have been watertight. Clearly it wasn't.

As far as the cost is concerned, I am not sure that that is such a valid issue. Taking that line, one might argue that no prosecution is "worth the money", given that guilty verdicts only end up in costing the taxpayer more in terms of jail-time etc.

That said, HMRC have never been known for their commercial sense. So the idea that it would cost them £10m to get back £30k would probably not have entered into their pretty little heads.

Stevie Reid
08-02-2012, 04:58 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16927972

Hardly surprising really.

I am surprised that so many folk seem to have a problem with him, very good manager who always gives a good interview IMO.

Eyrie
08-02-2012, 08:05 PM
HMRC are not known for their accountability when they foul up. And that happens on a regular basis. I'm sure Caversham Green has had his share of frustrations with them.

As regards Redknapp's acquital, from what I've read the jury reached the correct decision.
http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/article/redknapp-case-offshore-account-exposed/523542

Scott Allan Key
08-02-2012, 08:07 PM
If he was a supporter of Abu Qatada he might get a fair trial now?

Billy Whizz
08-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Bet Harry doesn't give too many interviews now to Rob Beasley

--------
09-02-2012, 01:01 AM
IMO, it was meant to be a message to all potential tax-evaders. A message, of course, that won't get through given the verdict.

Being in the tax game myself, I am very surprised at the verdict. Given the relatively low potential tax loss, I assumed that HMRC's case would have been watertight. Clearly it wasn't.

As far as the cost is concerned, I am not sure that that is such a valid issue. Taking that line, one might argue that no prosecution is "worth the money", given that guilty verdicts only end up in costing the taxpayer more in terms of jail-time etc.

That said, HMRC have never been known for their commercial sense. So the idea that it would cost them £10m to get back £30k would probably not have entered into their pretty little heads.

Having completed my tax returns recently (OK - I'm a serial procrastinator) and been informed I owe HMRC a certain sum of money which I will pay as soon as the nice lady who phoned me yesterday gets back to me, I just think there should be a degree of common sense exercised here? It looks to me as if HMRC were going after Redknapp and Mandaric because they're prominent citizens rather than becuase the case was actually a good one to pursue. To spend £10m to get back £30,000, I'd say the case would have to be more than watertight; it would have to be an absolute dead stonewall certainty. Which, in retrospect, as you say, this clearly wasn't.

Even in criminal cases, one function of the Crown Prosecution Service in England (Procurator Fiscal in the civilised world) is to make a realistic assessment of what the likely trial verdict will be, and NOT pursue cases that are doomed to failure from the outset.

Looks to me like a jobsworth civil servant spending someone else's money on the off-chance of getting his jollies by potting a celebrity.