PDA

View Full Version : Good books to read about Hibs' history

Lost_Mackem
06-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Anyone name any? I've taken a bit of a shine to Hibs since the friendly game in August whereas previously it was Rangers I kept an eye out for. Not sure why though.

tanfield
06-02-2012, 02:46 PM
The Making of Hibernian books are excellent and give a very detailed history of Hibs up to the 2nd world war. Quite difficult to get hold off though.

MSK
06-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Anyone name any? I've taken a bit of a shine to Hibs since the friendly game in August whereas previously it was Rangers I kept an eye out for. Not sure why though.Check out our hib-bay ..books sometimes appear in there for sale ..

http://www.hibs.net/forumdisplay.php?49-hib-Bay

Kevvy1875
06-02-2012, 02:51 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Hibernian-v-1/dp/0859765091

Get them here mate;)

big-mo
06-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Anyone name any? I've taken a bit of a shine to Hibs since the friendly game in August whereas previously it was Rangers I kept an eye out for. Not sure why though.

I currently have a volume out called 'Hibernian History Handbook' which covers the clubs history from the arrival of it's founders right up until Nov 2011. Lots of facts and figures, Players, Managers etc.
Available at the Programme Shop in Albion Place, 'Extra Time' at the Gyle Edinburgh, the Supports Club or via eBay, and it is only £7.

hibbybrian
06-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I currently have a volume out called 'Hibernian History Handbook' which covers the clubs history from the arrival of it's founders right up until Nov 2011. Lots of facts and figures, Players, Managers etc.
Available at the Programme Shop in Albion Place, 'Extra Time' at the Gyle Edinburgh, the Supports Club or via eBay, and it is only £7.

A great read and worth every penny too :thumbsup:

gackohibs
06-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Id recommend Eddie Turnbull and Lawrie Reillys autobiographys!

RIP
06-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Is there a book that has a picture of fans outside Easter Road demonstrating about the Mercer takeover?

Dashing Bob S
06-02-2012, 06:50 PM
'How We Were Formed By Kindly Priests To Feed The Poor of The East End of Glasgow And It Had Nothing To Do With Unscrupulous Businessmen Watching Them Dance in the Streets After Hibs Cup Win of 1887 and Deciding We Can Rip Off Those Jakeys For Generations' by Weedgie Plastic O'Pologist is an enlightening read.

Hibby Hippy
06-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Not a book but this could be a decent starting place We Are Hibernian FC (http://www.hibs.net/list.php?category/3-we-are-hibernian-fc)

Hibernia Na Eir
07-02-2012, 06:37 AM
The Making of Hibernian books are excellent and give a very detailed history of Hibs up to the 2nd world war. Quite difficult to get hold off though.

Indeed. Volumes 1 and 2 are the best. Just incredibly brilliant pieces of work.

Mark79
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Try Wikipedia. It's all accurate.

Pretty Boy
07-02-2012, 12:17 PM
The making of Hibernian books by Lugton are very, very good. However they might be a bit heavy going.and in depth for someone looking to take their first steps into Hibs history.

I'd suggest maybe starting off with 'The Hibees' or 'The Easter Road Story' by John R Mackay for a decent overview. If you enjoy them it might be the time to follow that up with the Lifting volumes. And of course not forgetting the fantastic 'sequel' to those 3 books by our very own jonnyboy.

Purple & Green
07-02-2012, 03:37 PM
The making of Hibernian books by Lugton are very, very good. However they might be a bit heavy going.and in depth for someone looking to take their first steps into Hibs history.

I'd suggest maybe starting off with 'The Hibees' or 'The Easter Road Story' by John R Mackay for a decent overview. If you enjoy them it might be the time to follow that up with the Lifting volumes. And of course not forgetting the fantastic 'sequel' to those 3 books by our very own jonnyboy.

I'd agree with that - the John Mackay books are the most accessible IMHO.

There's the first one there - http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=142263894&searchurl=an%3Dmackay%26prl%3D10.00%26recentlyadde d%3Dall%26sortby%3D1%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dhibees%26x%3 D52%26y%3D12 - for a tenner.

and the third one here: http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=2613983756&searchurl=an%3Dmackay%26bt.x%3D52%26bt.y%3D6%26kn% 3Dhibernian%26sts%3Dt for under a tenner.

http://www.biblio.com/bookstore/archways-sports-books-edinburgh-scotland - Archways is also a good source of second hand hibs books - and the proprietor is a good hibby.

bournehibby
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
'How We Were Formed By Kindly Priests To Feed The Poor of The East End of Glasgow And It Had Nothing To Do With Unscrupulous Businessmen Watching Them Dance in the Streets After Hibs Cup Win of 1887 and Deciding We Can Rip Off Those Jakeys For Generations' by Weedgie Plastic O'Pologist is an enlightening read.
:faf: That would be the concise version then DBS ?

bh

Jonnyboy
07-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Thanks PB :aok:

Coming to a bookshop near you in July/August :greengrin

JimBHibees
08-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Superb. :faf:

hibbybrian
08-02-2012, 04:49 PM

About bloody time :grr: :greengrin

MSK
08-02-2012, 05:04 PM

Coming to a bookshop near you in July/August :greengrinOr hopefully June ...:pray:.....:greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
09-02-2012, 07:51 AM

Hope there is a signing :greengrin

.Sean.
09-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Is there a book that has a picture of fans outside Easter Road demonstrating about the Mercer takeover?
Aye, one of the John R Mackay ones, my Dad has them both. Either 'Hibees' or 'The Complete Story' I think it's called.

Jonnyboy
09-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Hope there is a signing :greengrin

:agree: I've been practising

...................X....................

:greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
10-02-2012, 06:15 AM
:agree: I've been practising

...................X....................

:greengrin

Ah, nice to see your writing is improving :greengrin