PDA

View Full Version : doherty yesterday

strummbo
05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
well done Matty, nim and mcpake and rab carlos all slotted in nicely... but well done doherty... a stand out for me

CentreLine
05-02-2012, 03:14 PM
:agree:
well done Matty, nim and mcpake and rab carlos all slotted in nicely... but well done doherty... a stand out for me

:agree:
Absolutely stuck out for me too just because he got on with the job, nothing flash but had our right side completely under control. My man of the match.

I think all of PF's signings were good yesterday with the exception of Doyle who I think needs time to get up to speed with the SPL. In fact IMHO he will not make the step up successfully. I left the game yesterday confident that we will not be long in the drop zone and happy that these players will get better as they play together. A good cup draw on Monday would be nice to give them something to aim at and get bums back on seats at ER.

Mark79
05-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Do we call him the Irish Danny alves?

Capt Mainwaring
05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Now that's what I call a Right Back.

Great display from Matt yesterday.

marinello59
05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
One word to sum up Doherty?
Composure. He has an old head on his shoulders, very clever looking player.

The Green Goblin
05-02-2012, 06:13 PM
:

I think all of PF's signings were good yesterday with the exception of Doyle who I think needs time to get up to speed with the SPL. In fact IMHO he will not make the step up successfully.

He scored the winning goal.

Pretty Boy
05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
One of my mates said that for long spells you never really noticed him because he was so assured, only time you were aware of him was when he done something positive in an attacking or last ditch sense.

That's how a defender should be.

CentreLine
05-02-2012, 07:31 PM
He scored the winning goal.

Yes. Unfortunately that doesn't make him a great player. He also ducked out of challenges, was totally unaware of where the central defender was on every occasion he took the ball to feet and tried and failed with the same flick and turn all day. The guy has a lot to learn IMHO and I am not convinced he has what it takes to make the step up. Of course I want him to be a success but he doesn't look ready to me. All of PF's other signings excite me and I think McPake is going to be a legend if we can keep him.

truehibernian
05-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Yes. Unfortunately that doesn't make him a great player. He also ducked out of challenges, was totally unaware of where the central defender was on every occasion he took the ball to feet and tried and failed with the same flick and turn all day. The guy has a lot to learn IMHO and I am not convinced he has what it takes to make the step up. Of course I want him to be a success but he doesn't look ready to me. All of PF's other signings excite me and I think McPake is going to be a legend if we can keep him.

You must have been at a different game to me. Doyle was always looking for the ball and trying to nip in for scraps when the ball was played up to him. You have to give Killie credit as they have good central defenders in Pascali (who I'd take at ER in a minute) and Nelson. GOC gave Doyle minimal support and his hold up play was non-existant. Doesn't help when Doyle was getting into good areas (such as the Kujabi slipped ball through). We started to play very deep and Doyle was having to come back into his own half to challenge and get some possession.

And when did he duck a challenge ?

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2012, 07:39 PM
One of my mates said that for long spells you never really noticed him because he was so assured, only time you were aware of him was when he done something positive in an attacking or last ditch sense.

That's how a defender should be.

:agree: His opponent never went past him once, has pace and comfortable on the ball. What a change to see. All 4 defenders were good yesterday, and McPake orchestrated it from the middle, it was great to see a defence than all seemed to know what their jobs were.

supersauzee
05-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Totally agree with all the above, Doherty was excellent throughtout the much. No mucking about, composed, could tackle, won his headers, was big, strong and quick! Perfect right back and would love Hibs to sign him but maybe Wolves have him in their plans.

I thought Kujabi was equally excellent, defended brillantly and won all headers his way for being such a small guy. If he had Booth beside him on the left he would have been more dangerous because Wotherspoon was terrible yesterday. I rate the lad but he was so slow and sh*t out of too many tackles for my liking. The amount of times he held his hand up to apologise for mis-placed passes was shocking!

Mcpake was good and Hanlon actually looked good next to him too! I slated him a a couple of days ago but maybe it was just Murray and O'Hanlon were macking him look bad.

Doyle done ok, chased and that but he too slow and lightweight. He will take time. GO'C defo looks out of shape and his touch deserted him yesterday. His mind is clearly on other things.

Middle of the park was poor too I think, totally out thought and out passed. Maybe with Claros in there next to Ozzy it may be better but we will see. we still need someone creative in there and dont know if and when we will ever have someone like that again. In the latapy or zemamma mould.

Soares was solid but that was about it. nothing flash, doesnt look the quickest but nothing much is gona get by him and doherty so I am happy.

All in all it was good to get the win and I am excited what the future under Fenlon is going to bring as we have at last a manager with an eye for a player! Was buzzin to see Rangers kicked out the cup too, hope the draw is kind to us!

hibsbollah
05-02-2012, 07:52 PM
At first i was worried he was drifting inside too much and leaving the wide man (whether overlapping fullback or left midfielder) with too much space. Some of the folk around me were shouting at him as well to tighten up on 'his man', instead of helping out his central defenders. As the game wore on i realised that thats how much space you can afford to give an opponent when you have sufficient pace, concentration and dont make stupid mistakes. When youve been watching the likes of Hart, Zarabi, Gathuessi, and out of position centre backs trying to play the position, you forget what a good fullback's proper position is.

As fans, we need to acclimatise ourselves to having proper footballers again :greengrin

jodjam
05-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Thought he was class. He wasn't getting much support from Soares as the game wore on as he was out on his feet but this didn't knock him out of his stride. Nice to watch a full back doing things in a straight forward way.

Sammy7nil
05-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I arrived at 3pm bang on KO

I was high up in the FF watched the entire game thinking the RB was Francomb :doh::doh::doh::doh:

Alfred E Newman
05-02-2012, 09:06 PM

On the contrary Doyle looks a natural goalscorer to me and I think will turn out to be a great signing for us. Much of the stuff already being directed at him is the same sort of nonsense that was directed at Derek Riordan. Too light weight , too slow etc etc . Yes he obviously is still finding his feet at the club but you have to question the mentality of some fans and just what level they think Hibs are at the present..

Sammy7nil
05-02-2012, 09:09 PM
On the contrary Doyle looks a natural goalscorer to me and I think will turn out to be a great signing for us. Much of the stuff already being directed at him is the same sort of nonsense that was directed at Derek Riordan. Too light weight , too slow etc etc . Yes he obviously is still finding his feet at the club but you have to question the mentality of some fans and just what level they think Hibs are at the present..

Looks good to me and with the right partner he could score loads

SMAXXA
05-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I agree he was excellent, he has a fair bit of pace aswell :agree:

As for Doyle I cant believe the above comments, hes been decent since he came has scored a couple, looks inteligent and most importantly he works hard and gets into great poritions. He was constantly chasing things down yesterday, first half especially, as was G O'c but to a lesser extent IMO

The Green Goblin
05-02-2012, 10:30 PM

If that's how you see him, that's fine, different opinions and all that, you know? but the stats show that he scored in a difficult game against cowdenbeath and scored again yesterday, in 2 successive cup games - in both cases vital in getting us through to the next round. imho part of judging a good striker is, well, if he does his job and scores, and scores when it matters. my point is, that this counts for a lot. i would rather he was scoring when he still had a bit to learn (he's a young laddie, so that's only to be expected) than if he promised a lot and was the finished article but hadn't found the back of the net.

CentreLine
06-02-2012, 08:13 AM
If that's how you see him, that's fine, different opinions and all that, you know? but the stats show that he scored in a difficult game against cowdenbeath and scored again yesterday, in 2 successive cup games - in both cases vital in getting us through to the next round. imho part of judging a good striker is, well, if he does his job and scores, and scores when it matters. my point is, that this counts for a lot. i would rather he was scoring when he still had a bit to learn (he's a young laddie, so that's only to be expected) than if he promised a lot and was the finished article but hadn't found the back of the net.

Can't argue with that GG and of course only expressing my own view. My point is intended to be positive in that I believe that PF has made 8 signings of which only one doesn't look to me like he will make a big impact. When we make a comparison with our recent managers, from TM through to CC,that was not the case.

spike220
06-02-2012, 08:40 AM
It is obvious to all now that PF brought him to Hibs for his defensive ability rather than his public speaking skills!!

Well played, Get into them lad!!

GGTTH

Bohemian_Hibee
06-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Delighted to hear that Doherty did well on Saturday. Doubt he'll be the only ex-Bohs player to play for Hibs over the next couple of seasons :agree:

Hibbylad86
06-02-2012, 08:55 AM
On current showings this season he is the best right back at the club and a big improvement on previous RB's. Couple of times I was questioning him but generally solid, hopefully a bit of game time will sharpen him up. Things are looking up!!

GGTTH

:pfgwa

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-02-2012, 10:46 AM
he looks very good, he was a bit ropey at time with his positioning but i think thats just experience. he definitely has the attributes to be a really good defender. His pace surprised me, the boy can move!!!!

brydekirk
07-02-2012, 04:38 PM
he looks very good, he was a bit ropey at time with his positioning but i think thats just experience. he definitely has the attributes to be a really good defender. His pace surprised me, the boy can move!!!!

Must agree, thought he gave his man too much space at times but had the pace to sort it. Good player.

essexhibee
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
That block at the end was immense.

Sir David Gray
07-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Do we call him the Irish Danny alves?

I believe Dani Alves is now known as the Brazilian Matt Doherty. :agree:

essexhibee
07-02-2012, 11:56 PM
I believe Dani Alves is now known as the Brazilian Matt Doherty. :agree:

This was the case I seem to remember as quoted in the press when he joined Barca originally. Apparently grew up on the Rio streets watching the LOI.

jimmy-adjovi
08-02-2012, 12:55 AM

Is this a serious post? If we are to get behind any player it should be the one's on a permanent deal i.e. Doyle. A player committed in the long run. The boy has been out of action for months so it will obviously take him time. 2 goals so far is a fine return

brydekirk
08-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Relax, they might extend their contracts after we win the SC .

HH81
08-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Can't argue with that GG and of course only expressing my own view. My point is intended to be positive in that I believe that PF has made 8 signings of which only one doesn't look to me like he will make a big impact. When we make a comparison with our recent managers, from TM through to CC,that was not the case.

To me players up front are there to score goals. Doyle scored Hibs are through. Nothing else matters. For the record do you think O'Connor is worth his place in the team? Worst player on the pitch Saturday.