PDA

View Full Version : Paddy Fenlon

Dunbar Hibee
05-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Is it just me that loves the guy? I have serious ****ing faith in this man. IMO he is the man to take us forward...

leither17
05-02-2012, 03:23 AM
Ill 2nd that I liked him anyway but when he came to applaud us in the east I was delighted

basehibby
05-02-2012, 04:06 AM
Is it just me that loves the guy? I have serious ****ing faith in this man. IMO he is the man to take us forward...

:agree: Very happy with Pat's impact on the team over the piece so far - but the players he has brought in, from what I can see from today's showing - show that the guy absolutely knows what TF he is on about as a football manager. Every one was a marked improvement on what we have become used to in recent times, resulting in a performance that looked in no way anything like relegation fodder.

No way can I see us getting relegated on today's performace, and remember that our marquee signing has yet to pull on his boots!

Tell me anyone that was there today if I'm reading too much into it, but on today's resolute showing I find it hard to be anything nut optimistic about our SPL prospects.

stanton_4
05-02-2012, 08:37 AM

I have no doubt about that. He knows what he wants and also what he's talking about. Very assertive man.
Next season is what I am looking forward to. I honestly think he's got a plan to build something here.

bingo70
05-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Saw on Twitter last night there's a big interview with him in the Sunday post today, anyone know what he's saying?

Hibs7
05-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Get him signed up on a long term contract NOW !

Coco Bryce
05-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Met Pat a couple of times. The guy eats sleeps and breathes football, not just British football but football throughout the whole world. When you speak to him failure is not an option.

hibs0666
05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Met Pat a couple of times. The guy eats sleeps and breathes football, not just British football but football throughout the whole world. When you speak to him failure is not an option.

How is he getting on with Brown?

Pedantic_Hibee
05-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Was by no means my first option when his name was originally mooted. But once my ignorance was set aside and he and his history became public knowledge, he became more and more intriguing.

Almost everything he's done since he took the helm at Easter Road has been impressive from the things he says, the reports about him and the swift action he's taken with the squad.

It's his enthusiasm and work ethic that is the most impressive thing about him.

dp00
05-02-2012, 10:01 AM
How is he getting on with Brown?

i heard they are best of buds and can offten be seen in a pub in musselburgh area sharing a pint

Rossco1875
05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
i heard they are best of buds and can offten be seen in a pub in musselburgh area sharing a pint

with jeffries peering through the window greeting :greengrin

Coco Bryce
05-02-2012, 10:47 AM

This is true, they have all became very good friends through their love of football.

Pedantic_Hibee
05-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Yes, yes, this is all fair and well but has Paddy been in the Brig in Tranent yet?

Pedantic_Hibee
05-02-2012, 10:49 AM
This is true, they have all became very good friends through their love of football.

What's Billy's view of things now, Coco?

Appreciate that you might wanna answer this on the PM board.

neilmartinrocks
05-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Sharing a pint? Can they not get one each?
Must have been Petrie's round!!:wink::wink:

Hibby D
05-02-2012, 11:06 AM

with jeffries peering through the window greeting :greengrin

I love this image. Wonder if Frank Boyle would commission it :hilarious

essexhibee
05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Really hope it works out for him. Reminds me of oneill and not just cause he's irish!! :greengrin:

BEEJ
05-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Paddy Fenlon? I'm a fan. :thumbsup:

He's bright, driven and he inspires confidence that things at ER are on the up.

:flag:

Andy74
05-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Fenlon saying in papers we have options over some of the loan players and Canadian boy still on trial.

Sir David Gray
05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
I've been very positive about everything he's done so far.

We still have a long road ahead of us towards recovery and he has a massive job in the summer to try and build the squad towards a longer term future, however I believe that we may just have the man in charge that is capable of delivering that.

I have always said that he needs 2 years to be able to take the club to where we want to be and I still stand by that, although the very early signs are fairly promising.

matty_f
05-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Saw on Twitter last night there's a big interview with him in the Sunday post today, anyone know what he's saying?

Some good stuff in it about getting leaders in that the players can look up to in training and in games. Said that the players that weren't going to be playing had to be moved out.

Good read.:agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
05-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Some good stuff in it about getting leaders in that the players can look up to in training and in games. Said that the players that weren't going to be playing had to be moved out.

Good read.:agree:

Any links to it online, Matty?

matty_f
05-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Any links to it online, Matty?

Not that I could find mate, had a look online this morning but ended up nipping to Tesco to get the paper instead.

Hibernia Na Eir
05-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Im well impressed by Paddy. delighted we took the gamble. Proves that the LOI ain't as bad as some folk on here were knocking it.
Paddy's THE man!!

MSK
05-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Im well impressed by Paddy. delighted we took the gamble. Proves that the LOI ain't as bad as some folk on here were knocking it.
Paddy's THE man!!:agree:

Westie1875
05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Fenlon saying in papers we have options over some of the loan players and Canadian boy still on trial.

Great news, fingers crossed we have an option to sign Captain Fantastic on a permanent deal.

BEEJ
05-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Fenlon saying in papers we have options over some of the loan players
Interesting. My guess would be McPake, Griffiths and O'Donovan.

and Canadian boy still on trial.
That's also interesting! Might need him for next Saturday. :wink:

matty_f
05-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Agree with that, but I always like the managers to start off with! I even thought CC had something about him that would work out eventually. That's about as wrong as I've ever been, to be fair.

As for Pat, I think the only thing that's been missing to date is the most important thing - results. All said and done, his early record is not good, thankfully we've seen it pick up a bit of late, and I'm sure with the chance to overhaul the squad a bit that improvement will gather pace.

I like that he's decisive. Straight away he changed the coaching staff, which when you consider they had been in place since JC's time, was a fairly big move. Then taking a stance on players that were rumoured to be disruptive or having a poor attitude and moving them on swiftly sent out a message to the rest of the team.

Add to that the fact that by all accounts he is 24/7 working on improving the team (no stories of heading back down south for family time straight after the games for Pat!) and he has been impressive so far.

He definitely needs results to go his way. I think he's been hugely unfortunate in some cases (Yams game, we didn't get a penalty, they had an offside goal allowed, and a player stayed on the park that should have been sent off, could easily have been a different game; Aberdeen away lost to a penalty that never was; St Johnstone at home - O'Connor booked when we should have had a penalty; Motherwell away - game abandoned when we were a goal up and looking good for it; plus the fact that O'Connor has picked up a suspension for number of bookings, some of which have been an utter disgrace, and Griffiths being daft with gestures) so hopefully his luck has turned and we start to get the rub of the green a bit more.

Overall, I'm definitely a fan. I really like the guy and am delighted he's at Hibs. I hope hes successful and is here for a while.

lucky
05-02-2012, 04:02 PM
He's done ok so far. I like his attitude and appears to be able to spot a player. But the only blot so far was his tactics against Hearts

MSK
05-02-2012, 04:08 PM
He's done ok so far. I like his attitude and appears to be able to spot a player. But the only blot so far was his tactics against HeartsYou can only pish wi the one cock you have ..his options were very limited ..now though he has better players at his disposal..hopefully players who will play the Fenlon way ...:aok:

truehibernian
05-02-2012, 04:35 PM
He's done ok so far. I like his attitude and appears to be able to spot a player. But the only blot so far was his tactics against Hearts

Would agree that the formation that day was wrong, however it's interesting to see that now he has bedded in, he seems committed to finding a striking partnership. For me, for work rate, technical ability and movement, it has to be Griffiths and Doyle. O'Connor's touch, workrate and overall fitness is lacking this last 6 or 7 games. I also saw the ROD has a lot of pace (albeit he was on the pitch for 15 minutes or so)........I like the fact we have got strikers who can work the centre halves and get in between them and run channels. Hopefully GOC will see that he is not an automatic pick and raise his game again.

Early days but Fenlon has done superbly at getting the right work ethic and the right players into the club. Didn't realise until seeing the extended highlights what important tackles and blocks young Doherty put in (and his involvement for the goal). Another who is deceptively quick. If Claros has pace too, then we will have pace in all areas of the side and for me, pace kills teams. Onwards and upwards and bring on the Dons.

Baldy Foghorn
05-02-2012, 04:47 PM

He clearly knows his stuff, I was really impressed with him letting guys go who were not up to scratch.....Well done PF

NAE NOOKIE
05-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Still not getting too carried away. Even I could see that half the squad needed shipped out and that loan deals until the summer was the way to go. That way you can stop the rot with at least some players you couldnt afford to buy E.G. McPake.

I cant help thinking that PF is more of a Mourinho, O,Neill, Ferguson type manager. His talent is man management and hopefully spotting players rather than formations and tactics. I remember watching a documentary about the Scottish national team. We were playing Sweden and Willie Ormond's advice to his team about the opposition was to " watch out for the big blond lad " .... I.E. its about what your team can do, not what the opposition can do.

If PF is in any way like any of those managers I for one will be super optomistic about the next few seasons.

Congrats on your first home win Mr F ..... One of many lets hope.

Andy74
06-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Oh aye, he also said that all the players that left had to go now, apart from Hart who was very professional. It does suggest that these players were actively adding to the problems with their attitudes.

He was talking again about leaders and that he thought that this had been been neglected in recent recruitment at Hibs.

Seeing McPake on Saturday its pretty obvious what our problems have been. The characters we have had in there would certainly have given a goal away previously. He was saying it was about acceptance and that the players we have had recently have accepted losing goals and games as if it was no big deal.

JimBHibees
06-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Oh aye, he also said that all the players that left had to go now, apart from Hart who was very professional. It does suggest that these players were actively adding to the problems with their attitudes.

He was talking again about leaders and that he thought that this had been been neglected in recent recruitment at Hibs.

Seeing McPake on Saturday its pretty obvious what our problems have been. The characters we have had in there would certainly have given a goal away previously. He was saying it was about acceptance and that the players we have had recently have accepted losing goals and games as if it was no big deal.

Losers in other words.

I like the fact he has been decisive in getting rid and getting the type of players we were screaming out for. I thought on Saturday we were a bit smarter in terms of slowing the game down being a bit more professional just like other teams do which is a good positive sign IMO.

He needs time and it wont be a quick fix however he gives the impression he knows what is needed and will need a bit of luck on the way also.

Steve20
06-02-2012, 10:45 AM
I've been impressed by the players he has brought in and he has impressed me in his interviews.

I'll love him a bit more once we are safe from relegation.

Baker9
06-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Really hope it works out for him. Reminds me of oneill and not just cause he's irish!! :greengrin:

He seems to be a dead ringer for O'Neill in his mannerisms and his views; a sort of Mini Martin. Like the OP I love him to bits and am very optimisitc but I was also a big fan of Calderwood so not getting too carried away.

Walter
06-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I am actually frightened of my feelings of optimism with Paddy at the helm.

I actually love him, and I'm not some daft lassie chasing her Oirish dreamboat

Dashing Bob S
06-02-2012, 01:00 PM
He's God, minus the faults. (Of which there are many, if you believe the Old Testament.)

Andy74
06-02-2012, 01:07 PM
There was a lot of talk about a 'name' to inspire us with this appointment.

I think we've done the right thing in appointing someone who will inspire us with what he does.

With the results we are still having that's quite impressive. I've total faith in the guy and quite possibly a bit of a man crush.

Dashing Bob S
06-02-2012, 01:09 PM
There was a lot of talk about a 'name' to inspire us with this appointment.

I think we've done the right thing in appointing someone who will inspire us with what he does.

With the results we are still having that's quite impressive. I've total faith in the guy and quite possibly a bit of a man crush.

Hey...I saw him first.

geohibby
06-02-2012, 01:44 PM

No its not just you, i thought quite early on he was the man, just had a good feeling about him when he arrived, good talker and doesnt seem to put up with any p..h, we need hinm at the min if were going to get out of this hole that were in, he will do it im sure

Hibby D
06-02-2012, 02:32 PM
He's God, minus the faults. (Of which there are many, if you believe the Old Testament.)

I once received a PM asking me not "to take God's name in vein" as it was "offensive". And look at you!!

You can't go around comparing Paddy Fenlon to God, never mind actually stating he IS God!! And as for casting doubt over the accuracy of the Old Testament :rolleyes: Are you seriously looking for trouble?? :dunno:

Anyway we all know there is only one God..... and his name is Franck :sauzee:

Jim44
06-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Of the three Irish managers in the SPL I think we have the pick of the bunch. Shiels is a graceless, bitter, loudmouth and there's something 'unstable' about Lomas that I can't put my finger on. Fenlon so far is showing signs of being a well-balanced individual who knows what he's about.

Walter
06-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Of the three Irish managers in the SPL I think we have the pick of the bunch. Shiels is a graceless, bitter, loudmouth and there's something 'unstable' about Lomas that I can't put my finger on. Fenlon so far is showing signs of being a well-balanced individual who knows what he's about.

I know what you mean Jim, I am exactly the same I just can't work out what it is! The magic of first impressions and being unable to connect them up with your brain eh! Or I guess it's just gut instinct.....

Ultrabee1-0
06-02-2012, 03:25 PM
a think he is what hibs have been looking for, for a long time. he is a mixture off all the managers we have had.
think there is big things to come from him, cant wait till summer and he has a team of his own and permanent deals to challenge for 2nd spot cause lets be honest rangers are going down the gutter so its not impossible!

:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

basehibby
06-02-2012, 04:28 PM
I once received a PM asking me not "to take God's name in vein" as it was "offensive". And look at you!!

You can't go around comparing Paddy Fenlon to God, never mind actually stating he IS God!! And as for casting doubt over the accuracy of the Old Testament :rolleyes: Are you seriously looking for trouble?? :dunno:

Anyway we all know there is only one God..... and his name is Franck :sauzee:

WRONG - there's another god and his name is Pat as well - could this be the beginning of a new blessed holy trinity??? :pray:
:pray::pray:

Northernhibee
06-02-2012, 07:44 PM
I think he's going to be one of the greatest managers in our history, I really do. Thought that since day one and not seen anything to change my mind.

Sammy7nil
06-02-2012, 08:03 PM
I think he's going to be one of the greatest managers in our history, I really do. Thought that since day one and not seen anything to change my mind.

I really think we all need to calm down.

He has won one league game against the bottom team who so far have failed to win any home game Anyone at EEP will agree we were a wee bit fortunate. We then win at home by holding on grimly to KILMARNOCK not one of the OF or Hearts but Kilmarnock ! Out with that we lost 3 to St J, 3 to D Utd, 4 to the worst Gers team in living memory, conceeded 2 to Beath and lost at Aberdeen etc.

I really like him, he says the right things and we look better I really hope he does very well but he is a LONG way off from being the Messiah - Just Yet :wink:

Northernhibee
06-02-2012, 09:48 PM
I really think we all need to calm down.

He has won one league game against the bottom team who so far have failed to win any home game Anyone at EEP will agree we were a wee bit fortunate. We then win at home by holding on grimly to KILMARNOCK not one of the OF or Hearts but Kilmarnock ! Out with that we lost 3 to St J, 3 to D Utd, 4 to the worst Gers team in living memory, conceeded 2 to Beath and lost at Aberdeen etc.

I really like him, he says the right things and we look better I really hope he does very well but he is a LONG way off from being the Messiah - Just Yet :wink:

TBF I've been singing Paddy's praises long before he started winning, I just get an overwhelming feeling about the man that he'll be a great of our club.

fat freddy
06-02-2012, 10:03 PM
i bumped into him in my local yesterday...he was watching the chelsea man utd game...i didn't want to bother him too much but i had a wee talk with him about saturdays match and the new signings...he was very polite and listened to my slaverings and he even thanked me for saying he was doing a tremendous job...i got the impression from him that failure is not an option..

ackeygraham
06-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I agree that while lets not get too carried away that there is grounds for a new dawn. He has what looks now a defence that can actually defend. Hanlon had a decent partner unlike his near namesake. Unfortunately this won't happen v the dons as both mcpake & hanlon suspended so again a test of the defence select will be upon us.

We did surrender possession too much on sat and again needs addressed, they can't do anything if we have the ball. Let's hope this is being sorted the week at EM.

Looking forward to our next home game. Never thought I'd say that this season again:greengrin

Sir David Gray
06-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Steady on!

I have a good feeling about him as well, I think he's doing a great job getting rid of the wasters and his new recruits seem to be a vast improvement on the garbage that we've been reduced to over the past couple of years.

However, he's been here less than 3 months and his reign is still in its infancy!

Beefster
07-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Folk need to calm down. Fenlon's done okay so far, without really improving results. There's certainly no evidence yet that he'll be one of our best ever managers.

This place is barmy sometimes.

Hibees07
07-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Losers in other words.

I like the fact he has been decisive in getting rid and getting the type of players we were screaming out for. I thought on Saturday we were a bit smarter in terms of slowing the game down being a bit more professional just like other teams do which is a good positive sign IMO.

He needs time and it wont be a quick fix however he gives the impression he knows what is needed and will need a bit of luck on the way also.

Isn't it great news that a couple will be back on Saturday! :worried:

Aldo
07-02-2012, 10:01 AM
We have a long long way to go IMHO.
I trust his judgement. Won't get too carried away just yet.

GraniteCityHibs
07-02-2012, 11:39 AM
''In the short term there may be doubters but in the long term there won't be!'' :greengrin

GraniteCityHibs
07-02-2012, 11:41 AM
CC really was a gimp!

Just as well we now have someone who I believe will lead us into something quite special.

He just has a aura about him that can only rub off on the players! A winning mentality!!

:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

Steve20
07-02-2012, 11:46 AM
I think some people are going a bit far.

As I said I like Fenlon so far, but his first task is to keep us in the SPL and that's certainly not a definate. If we stay up, then we can start dreaming about doing something special.

Andy74
07-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I think some people are going a bit far.

As I said I like Fenlon so far, but his first task is to keep us in the SPL and that's certainly not a definate. If we stay up, then we can start dreaming about doing something special.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he has achieved something, it's more a feelng with everything that the guy does and says that he is capable of being a really good appointment.

JeMeSouviens
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
''In the short term there may be doubters but in the long term there won't be!'' :greengrin

To be fair, he was bang on there. Nobody was left with a single doubt, we were all completely certain he was pish. :agree:

Hibby D
07-02-2012, 02:29 PM
To be fair, he was bang on there. Nobody was left with a single doubt, we were all completely certain he was pish. :agree:

:tee hee:

Jim44
08-02-2012, 07:24 AM

ps. Scholars of the game will no doubt have noticed my deliberate ommission of Neil Lennon who has been over here so long that he's lost his national identity.:greengrin ......... Another bampot nevertheless.

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Stepping back and looking at things rationally, results have been just as dreadful as calderclowns.

Yet he's done so many positive things, emptied the dross, brought in what seems some decent players, and galvanised the support and the team.

He certainly can talk the talk, now is time to walk the walk. I think he can. :pfgwa

EasterRoad4Ever
08-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Folk need to calm down. Fenlon's done okay so far, without really improving results. There's certainly no evidence yet that he'll be one of our best ever managers.

:agree: wot he says.

alfie
08-02-2012, 07:55 AM

Or is it just that all the doom and gloomers have an inner happy clapper dying to get out, and a single clean sheet is all the excuse they need? :greengrin :duck:

steakbake
08-02-2012, 07:56 AM

Lomas looks more like a Pigeon Fancier than a footie manager. He's doing a good job with the Super J's but that bunnet: it's worrying.

EasterRoad4Ever
08-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Stepping back and looking at things rationally, results have been just as dreadful as calderclowns.

Yet he's done so many positive things, emptied the dross, brought in what seems some decent players, and galvanised the support and the team.

He certainly can talk the talk, now is time to walk the walk. I think he can. :pfgwa

Agree with all but this. All you'd need is for us to lose the next 2 or 3 games and/or dunfy to win a couple and the place would turn ugly again. IMHO Pars getting a point last night was no bad thing - its a reality check for the Hibs players and fans that we have a battle on our hands. The way some on here are talking you'd think we just won a string of 5 games and in the SC final :confused:

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Agree with all but this. All you'd need is for us to lose the next 2 or 3 games and/or dunfy to win a couple and the place would turn ugly again. IMHO Pars getting a point last night was no bad thing - its a reality check for the Hibs players and fans that we have a battle on our hands. The way some on here are talking you'd think we just won a string of 5 games and in the SC final :confused:

Well we better not then. :greengrin The club was in a real mess, and as i said results have not been great.

Yet through those bad results, he's managed to get rid of a lot of the negativity, and seems to have most of us pulling in the same direction.

How long has it been since that happened? :confused:

Folk can see a trier, folk can see he has a vision, :top marks the last clown just bumbled along from one day to the next.

We have not won 5 on the trott, we are not in the cup final, but we are a lot nearer doing that now under Fenlon than we would have been under clueless.

I can see progress, something i have not been able to say for a long while. It will take time, i'm sure we all know that, but one step at a time i suppose?