PDA

View Full Version : Shape

marleyhib
04-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Great to see us keep our shape today. Players looking like they know their job, sticking to it and playing in the right position.

Rode our luck a little bit at times but defence was sooooo much better.

McPake take a bow, Hanlon looked so much better with a solid partner at the back.

First clean sheet in 3 months, thats the key what we need to build on.

Well done Pat and the boys.

Looking forward to the next 2 home games.

GGTTH

Billy Whizz
04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
You could see quite clearly that we had 2 banks of 4 in defence and midfield. At times in the 1st half you could draw a straight line across the 4

truehibernian
04-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Good post.

Far better shape at the back and I eat humble pie as it was the best performance from Paul Hanlon in a long long time. McPake was magnificent, won everything and plays with a real confidence. Nothing fazed him. The new left back I thought was terrific too. Not only his attacking play, but he reads the game very very well. For a wee man, when Killie tried to play crossfield, he won all his headers and kept it simple. The run up the line was magic......he also looks fit as a fiddle. Docherty at right back came into the game, obvious that the pace caught him a wee bit unaware first 10 minutes but he then became very assured and second half saw a superb defensive performance.

The downside was our decision making from midfield in the latter stages. Sproule, Scott and Stevenson all had chances to retain possession or slip players in but over cooked the passing. For me Garry O'Connor was awful for the whole 90 minutes. His touch has deserted him and he is unfit.

All in all though, for the first 20 minutes (attacking) and the last 20 minutes (defensively), a very assured and impressive victory against a Kilmarnock team coming off a high. Delighted for Fenlon, who at the end, was almost O'Neill-esque. Love the fact he came onto the pitch, took time with each player, and pumped his fist in delight to the fans. What a difference it will make seeing passion in that form. Great day all round.

S.sct
04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Totally agree, hopefully In the coming weeks we can build on this and begin to make better use of the ball when we have it. Killie did dominate the midfield for the majority of the game but great to be praising our defending for a change.
Good post.

Far better shape at the back and I eat humble pie as it was the best performance from Paul Hanlon in a long long time. McPake was magnificent, won everything and plays with a real confidence. Nothing fazed him. The new left back I thought was terrific too. Not only his attacking play, but he reads the game very very well. For a wee man, when Killie tried to play crossfield, he won all his headers and kept it simple. The run up the line was magic......he also looks fit as a fiddle. Docherty at right back came into the game, obvious that the pace caught him a wee bit unaware first 10 minutes but he then became very assured and second half saw a superb defensive performance.

The downside was our decision making from midfield in the latter stages. Sproule, Scott and Stevenson all had chances to retain possession or slip players in but over cooked the passing. For me Garry O'Connor was awful for the whole 90 minutes. His touch has deserted him and he is unfit.

All in all though, for the first 20 minutes (attacking) and the last 20 minutes (defensively), a very assured and impressive victory against a Kilmarnock team coming off a high. Delighted for Fenlon, who at the end, was almost O'Neill-esque. Love the fact he came onto the pitch, took time with each player, and pumped his fist in delight to the fans. What a difference it will make seeing passion in that form. Great day all round.

djs69
04-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Lets not forget they are a good football team who keep possession well and we never gave them many chances. Considering the defence is new and will take time to gel as a unit, they should all take a bow . Totally committed.