PDA

View Full Version : NHC Interesting times ahead for Forest.

WindyMiller
04-02-2012, 06:12 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16890236

I once worked for a company that he bought out, so I'll refrain from commenting.

H18sry
04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Suicide?

WindyMiller
04-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Suicide?

If I'd spent £70m and saw my team dropping into League One, I'd certainly be suicidal.

SkintHibby
05-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Suicide?

Heart attack.

People have nothing but good things to say about the guy.:agree:

stu in nottingham
05-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Nigel was found dead in his home gym yesterday at the little Lincolnshire village of Skillington where he lived.

He was a good man and a true Nottingham Forest fan. Latterly some of his decision making was questionable but he did an awful lot for Forest and didn't deserve to be spoken about the way he was by some. Much in admiration of the guy as a hands-on owner with his heart definitely in the right place. Also a man who supported local charities.

A nice tribute to him here:

Nigel Doughty 1957-2012 (http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/title/nigel-doughty--1957-2012/id/4268)

Rest in Peace Nigel.

Dan Sarf
05-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Nigel was found dead in his home gym yesterday at the little Lincolnshire village of Skillington where he lived.

He was a good man and a true Nottingham Forest fan. Latterly some of his decision making was questionable but he did an awful lot for Forest and didn't deserve to be spoken about the way he was by some. Much in admiration of the guy as a hands-on owner with his heart definitely in the right place. Also a man who supported local charities.

A nice tribute to him here:

Nigel Doughty 1957-2012 (http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/title/nigel-doughty--1957-2012/id/4268)

Rest in Peace Nigel.

Thanks for the link. Stu. An inspiring read. I went and cleared the snow from my elderly neighbour's path after reading that!

The Falcon
05-02-2012, 11:32 AM
A section of Forest fans treated him like dirt. I wonder if his family will look for repayment of the money he put in?

stu in nottingham
05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the link. Stu. An inspiring read. I went and cleared the snow from my elderly neighbour's path after reading that!

Good for you! I agree, quite an inspiring piece.

A section of Forest fans treated him like dirt. I wonder if his family will look for repayment of the money he put in?

That might be the first question on a few people's lips. It's to the tune of a cool 100 million too.

We know that football supporters can be fickle, I think many more appreciated him than didn't but when you look at some of the abuse he got, particularly towards the end when I feel he was hounded out of the Forest stewardship a little, you wonder why on earth anyone would bother.

Nigel Doughty didn't get every decision right for Forest. I believe for instance that he bitterly regretted the parting of the ways of Billy Davies and the club. He was served badly by several managerial appointments (not Davies) in my humble opinion. A lot of his money was squandered on mediocre players, particularly by useless David Platt, and this lead to the forming at the club of a 'transfer acquisition panel' headed by another useless David (Pleat). The TAP would run the rule over potential buys but it was unwieldy, dysfunctional and crucially, headed by an idiot.

There was a lot more to to Nigel Doughty than being the Chairman of a football club. He was a philanthropist, a decent and kind family man and a man of the people, in spite of his vast wealth. He took over Nottingham Forest because he was a lifetime fan and loved the club.

There might well be one or two Forest supporters having a wee look at themselves today - and where their club goes from here.