PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Shiels - What a Plonker!

johncrobertson@
04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Just watched his interview on BBC - said Killie dominated Hibs for 75 minutes and Stack was time wasting from 15 minutes onwards. Then blamed the Referee for I don't know what!! The guy is becoming an embarrassment to himself

hibsbollah
04-02-2012, 04:27 PM
We dominated that game. Shiels must be on drugs.

johncrobertson@
04-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Des McKeown said Shiels was talking rubbish and said add 7and 5 together and Killie were on top the last 12 minutes.

Diclonius
04-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Aye like he wouldn't do the same. Piss off Shiels.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Killie couldn't put away their chances. Whichever way you peel and boil it, that is the reason.

Hank Schrader
04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Shiels proved last week, with his comments about Ayr playing for penalties, that he truly is a classless buffoon who should be ignored.

allezsauzee
04-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Kenny Shiels = irish Jim Jefferies?

gackohibs
04-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Who cares what he says? Our team is thru, his isnae.

Good solid victory for Hibs. Long time coming!

Carheenlea
04-02-2012, 04:41 PM
I have to admit that I was a bit concerned at he length of time Stack was holding onto the ball. I counted out 10 seconds in one instance, and we can count ourselves fortunate not to be penalised. A dangerous game to play.

matty_f
04-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Who cares what he says? Our team is thru, his isnae.

Good solid victory for Hibs. Long time coming!

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Most important thing to note for Kenny Shiels is he is out the cup, and we're not.:greengrin

Hibs Class
04-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Said the same in his Radio Scotland interview. 75 minutes of domination, Stack holding the ball for 15-20 seconds at a time and Brines letting him do it. Definitely came over as a complete tit, and maybe explains why his wee boy spent the game so narked as well.

smurf
04-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Killie were I thought the better side. However, we scored one and they scored zero so we are through. And in cup games that's all that matters!

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2012, 04:44 PM
How many chances did killie create in the time the ball was in play Kenny?

vanNISHtelroy
04-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Shiels proved last week, with his comments about Ayr playing for penalties, that he truly is a classless buffoon who should be ignored.

They were though and the pundits on the radio were saying that during the game. Suddenly afterwards Kenny was picking on poor little Ayr who were amazing for the entire game!

Can't comment about today, wasn't there....but I am getting slightly concerned about the way he puts his views across

Andy74
04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Alan Preston was pretty fair to us. Said Shiels was totally wrong.

Hibs Class
They were though and the pundits on the radio were saying that during the game. Suddenly afterwards Kenny was picking on poor little Ayr who were amazing for the entire game!

Can't comment about today, wasn't there....but I am getting slightly concerned about the way he puts his views across

I think you generally expect managers to speak with a little more grace and respect than you expect pundits to show, and Shiels was found wanting both last week and this week.

Steve20
Killie were I thought the better side. However, we scored one and they scored zero so we are through. And in cup games that's all that matters!

I thought we were the better team and could easily have been more than 1 up at half time.

Aldo
04-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Bah ****** Humbug Shiels.

Yir oot the cup o and on yir way oot pick up yir dummy.

Hiber-nation
04-02-2012, 05:00 PM

:agree:

Shiels reminded me a bit of that erse Gannon. Sour grapes again Kenny, eh?

smurf
04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I thought we were the better team and could easily have been more than 1 up at half time.

I thought we looked like a team today and it was great to see.

Thought we started really well but fell out of it after 20 mins.

However, for all their possession they never really troubled us.

I felt their midfield was more effective than ours. Stevenson and Osbourne pretty anonymous that therefore conceded possession to them.

A great win though and deserved.

IFONLY
04-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Just watched his interview on BBC - said Killie dominated Hibs for 75 minutes and Stack was time wasting from 15 minutes onwards. Then blamed the Referee for I don't know what!! The guy is becoming an embarrassment to himself

On the radio he also said that "Hibs defended well but defending is easy" wish he had let us in to his secret months ago

shamo9
04-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Kilmarnock didn't have a shot on target until the 33rd minute of the match, and even that was a speculative shot from outside the box which did little to trouble Stack. In the second half Kilmarnock dominated possession, as they are set up to do, but their final ball lacked bite until the last twenty when they began to throw caution to the wind. Despite their territorial dominance we created the best opportunity to extend the lead when Doyle was put one on one after a great run by Kujabi (:aok:). There was also a few opportunities missed by the wasteful subs to really punish them late on.

A tight game certainly; far from the picture Shiels is trying to paint. We caught them cold with a terrific start, had a goal unfairly disallowed, and then the defence (:aok:)as a unit won the physical battle with authority.

hibbybrian
04-02-2012, 05:20 PM
On the radio he also said that "Hibs defended well but defending is easy" wish he had let us in to his secret months ago

If defending is easy how come we scored against their defense - and if attacking is difficult, and we scored and they didn't, how come he thinks they were robbed :confused: :greengrin

skipster7
04-02-2012, 05:34 PM
If defending is easy how come we scored against their defense - and if attacking is difficult, and we scored and they didn't, how come he thinks they were robbed :confused: :greengrin
that is so simple but true:greengrin

Sodje_18
04-02-2012, 05:37 PM
He's beginning to sound like another Neil Lennon, they had most of the possession but did they do anything with it? Get it up ye Sheils :cb

Hibernia Na Eir
04-02-2012, 05:47 PM
interesting,,....he and Dean invited back to.hibs.club post game!

greenlex
04-02-2012, 05:58 PM
I thought we looked like a team today and it was great to see.

Thought we started really well but fell out of it after 20 mins.

However, for all their possession they never really troubled us.

I felt their midfield was more effective than ours. Stevenson and Osbourne pretty anonymous that therefore conceded possession to them.

A great win though and deserved.

:agree: word for word. Although other than Stevenson and Osbourne giving it away cheaply I thought that was our gameplan particularly after we scored. Let them have the ball in their own half and close them down in ours.

lucky
04-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Heard him on the radio after the game and he was talking rubbish. Stack was never really troubled. Another who cant lose with dignity.

midlothianhibby
04-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I think you generally expect managers to speak with a little more grace and respect than you expect pundits to show, and Shiels was found wanting both last week and this week.

I did think his comments sounded like sour grapes but to be fair to him, he did stand and shake the hand of every Hibs player at the end of the game.

You don't see that often after a defeat............

Shrekko
04-02-2012, 06:01 PM
We dominated that game. Shiels must be on drugs.

For the avoidance of doubt.... Are you actually being serious?

They didn't create much against our packed defence but Killie absolutely dominated possession. I didn't hear the interview but we were indeed time wasting and I'd have been raging if the roles had been reversed.

I did massively enjoy the win, but that was a hard 90 minutes watch. Non-existent in midfield and balls punted up and never sticking to the forwards.

NAE NOOKIE
04-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Thought we had a great first 20 minutes, but let Killie have too much of the ball after that. As for wasting time after the first 15 minutes, what a load of rubbish!

Anyway over the years at ER Killie have been one of the biggest culprits when it comes to time wasting ........ so boo hoo Kenny, suck it up pal.

machibby
04-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Think the guy needs to put his brain into gear. Heard him midweek on the radio coming out about how honest he was and how people in Scotland don't like him because he plays football in a way we've never seen. And today he comes out with his 'defending is the easiest part of the game' guff again, well fair play for Alan Preston to give him stick for that. To suggest the ref was partly to blame for them losing in just beyond laughable. His team passed the ball around well but created little and perhaps he'll see a different game when he watches the re-run

Hibs Class
04-02-2012, 06:18 PM

They didn't create much against our packed defence but Killie absolutely dominated possession. I didn't hear the interview but we were indeed time wasting and I'd have been raging if the roles had been reversed.

I did massively enjoy the win, but that was a hard 90 minutes watch. Non-existent in midfield and balls punted up and never sticking to the forwards.

According to BBC it was 45% Hibs 55% Killie - I'd describe that as edged rather than dominated. (although I'd agree they dominated possession in the last 15-20 minutes).

ronaldo7
04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Kilmarnock didn't have a shot on target until the 33rd minute of the match, and even that was a speculative shot from outside the box which did little to trouble Stack. In the second half Kilmarnock dominated possession, as they are set up to do, but their final ball lacked bite until the last twenty when they began to throw caution to the wind. Despite their territorial dominance we created the best opportunity to extend the lead when Doyle was put one on one after a great run by Kujabi (:aok:). There was also a few opportunities missed by the wasteful subs to really punish them late on.

A tight game certainly; far from the picture Shiels is trying to paint. We caught them cold with a terrific start, had a goal unfairly disallowed, and then the defence (:aok:)as a unit won the physical battle with authority.

Spot on mate:agree:

At The Edge
04-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Killie passed the ball very well..............................between their own back 4, if thats domination then so be it.
Granted the last 15 minutes they were pressing hard, but before that they did very little to trouble Stack, thankfully our defence nullified anything before it got to Stack

As the Streets sang 'dry your eyes mate'
:pfgwa

hibsbollah
04-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Wow. To use that old chestnut, we must have been at different games.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Defending isn't easy. It is only made easier when you play against a team, who on today's performance would struggle to finish a sentence.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Stack was taking far too long in releasing the ball at times and was fortunate not to have been penalised, so he's right there.

However, to say that Kilmarnock dominated for 75 minutes is just utter nonsense.

They didn't start to play at all until about 10 minutes before half time, they were never in the game before that. In the second half, they had a bit more of the play and could maybe have scored but to say that they "dominated" is far too strong.

On the balance of play, a replay would perhaps have been the fairest result but if there was going to be a winner then we were the ones who deserved to go through.

I never thought I would ever say this but fair play to Allan Preston as he stuck up for Hibs on the radio and said that Shiels' comments were totally unfair.

Jonnyboy
04-02-2012, 06:37 PM

I thought much the same but the Beeb says 55/45 in favour of Killie which isn't absolutely dominant :greengrin

Shiels did come across badly and if I didn't dislike him for that I did dislike him for causing me to say the following .......... well said Alan Preston :faint: The usual Hibs basher said Shiels was wrong and took exception especially to the comment about defending being easy

Gatecrasher
04-02-2012, 06:42 PM
it sounded like soor grapes to me, especiallt when saying Stack was holding onto the ball for too long. :rolleyes:

Sammy7nil
04-02-2012, 06:45 PM

That is about right.
Hibs played well for about 30 mins then surrendered the game to Killie who were not good enough to take advantage. Having said that Hibs played very well for 20 mins and could have been 2 up. Hibs created the best chances but killie did dominate the ball. I was very concerned in the 2nd half our strikers could not hold on to the ball and the midfield never got their foot on the ball.
How Soares played 90 mins I will never know.

The defence was very very good I enjoyed the clean sheet but we were hanging on.

Sammy7nil
04-02-2012, 06:47 PM
it sounded like soor grapes to me, especiallt when saying Stack was holding onto the ball for too long. :rolleyes:

Stack was holding on too long, Ref's seem to have forgot this rule :agree:

Gatecrasher
04-02-2012, 06:49 PM

even so, clutching at straws will get him no where. holding a ball for an extra few seconds over a 90 minute period will not make much difference, they are out and we are no :agree:

erin go bragh
04-02-2012, 07:04 PM
:shocked:

WindyMiller
04-02-2012, 07:08 PM

As did Chick Young!

LeithBoozy
04-02-2012, 07:15 PM
It sounds to me as if he was expecting to stroll into the next round, the way we have been playing who can blame him?.Also the fact we were bringing in a lot of new faces who had never played together was strongly in Killies favour. Tough tattie Kenny boy, welcome to the new Hibs, defenders that can defend.:wink:

matty_f
04-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Just watched the interview on the bbc website with Shiels. Have to say, I was grinning ear to ear listening to him. That's a manager clutching at straws if ever I saw one.

GIRFUY Shiels!:na na:

I Love Lamp
04-02-2012, 07:34 PM
He reminds me of the Celtic version of Tony Mowbray. Moral superiority combined with footballing inferiority. He's maybe right that the 6 second rule wasn't properly enforced (as it never really is) but neither was a booking given out to Dayton for that pathetic dive on the edge of the box. Wonder if a two-game ban will be forthcoming - I'd be surprised.

Truth is, as is often the case with the coaches of teams who lose narrowly, the complaints are mainly frustration at their team not having done enough to win the match.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-02-2012, 07:34 PM

I like Kenny Shiels for the way he wants his team to play fitba, and his early interviews did have a deadpan humour. Needs to bite his lip tho'

For me, it was a game of two halves. Us in the first and yous in the second

frazeHFC
04-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Who cares what he says; We're still in the cup and they're no!!! :singing:

DaveF
04-02-2012, 07:52 PM

Every keeper does it. Along with players stealing yards at throw ins, walking extra s l o w l y to take free kicks, corners and every other bit of 'gamesmanship' they can possibly get away with.

Shiels greeting about Stack is just laughable.

givescotlandfreedom
04-02-2012, 07:58 PM
interesting,,....he and Dean invited back to.hibs.club post game!

Does Deano's brother not work there?

mca
04-02-2012, 08:01 PM
After today Any respect i had for shiels has went doon the pan with my last deposit to the council...

Mr Shiels = GIRFUY :loser:

matty_f
04-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Every keeper does it. Along with players stealing yards at throw ins, walking extra s l o w l y to take free kicks, corners and every other bit of 'gamesmanship' they can possibly get away with.

Shiels greeting about Stack is just laughable.

And Shiels complaint that any time they got any rhthym or momentum it was lost whenever the ball got near Stack. Well, if that's the case - well done Stack! I take it Shiels thinks Stack should have been helping Killie get the ball back and put us under pressure?

Sounds to me like Stack did everything that you'd expected an experienced keeper to be doing under the circumstances. :agree:

sleeping giant
04-02-2012, 08:06 PM

:applause:

:hilarious

ekhibee
04-02-2012, 08:08 PM
I did think his comments sounded like sour grapes but to be fair to him, he did stand and shake the hand of every Hibs player at the end of the game.

You don't see that often after a defeat............

Yeh, that was my thoughts too, sour grapes. I actually like Kenny Shields, to me he does speak his mind rather than using the same old cliches that managers like Paw Broon come out with virtually every week, but on this occasion he was definitely talking pants.

Scouse Hibee
04-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Stack's does it every time he plays so it's certainly not a new thing from him!

LeithBoozy
04-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Stack's does it every time he plays so it's certainly not a new thing from him!Who does this clown think he is, Graham is only acting on my advice and slow down when we are winning, the man has a bad back after all. :greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
04-02-2012, 08:32 PM
He mentioned something about the 4 mins added time being an insult to his team. As Del Boy would say 'what a plonker!'

Saorsa
04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Just watched his interview on BBC - said Killie dominated Hibs for 75 minutes and Stack was time wasting from 15 minutes onwards. Then blamed the Referee for I don't know what!! The guy is becoming an embarrassment to himselfGrape Kenny?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/sourgrapes.jpg

stoneyburn hibs
04-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Just heard his interview on sportscene , bitter to say the least

Hibernia Na Eir
04-02-2012, 10:24 PM
interested to hear if he and said son went back to Hibs club...

Shrekko
04-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Wow. To use that old chestnut, we must have been at different games.

Bearing in mind some of our heroic defensive performances you must be absolutely off your trolley to suggest Hibs dominated that game. You were at a different game to the majority I'd guess.

There were some good signs and I'm over the moon at the result but I'm absolutely stunned at your statement.

Griffiths cannot come back quick enough and we desperately need some quality in central midfield- hopefully Claros will provide that.

Skol
05-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Does the '6 second' rule even still exist ? I havent seen anyone penalised for that in maybe 15 years.

Also the Killie players realised stack likes to kick from the ground, so 2 and even 3 started hanging about so he couldnt do that while 1 stood in a way that stack couldnt easily kick from hand, which arguably there once was also a rule against and for which keepers got foulss

Spike Mandela
05-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Now that Shiels has highlighted stack in this manner our goalie better speed up his kickouts in the next few games. If he tries it against Aberdeen it's guaranteed he'll be penalised for it.

bigwheel
05-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Does the '6 second' rule even still exist ? I havent seen anyone penalised for that in maybe 15 years.

Also the Killie players realised stack likes to kick from the ground, so 2 and even 3 started hanging about so he couldnt do that while 1 stood in a way that stack couldnt easily kick from hand, which arguably there once was also a rule against and for which keepers got foulss

I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist more....it's just a "reasonable time" rule now.......

matty_f
05-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Was Stack holding onto the ball for ages? The rule is only that he has to release the ball after 6 seconds (if the rule is still in operation), so if he'd dropped it to his feet to kick it the ball's effectively in play, and the ref can't do anything about it.

Hibs Class
05-02-2012, 08:15 AM

It does still exist. Only on mobile just now so cannot post link but it's still in the laws, goalkeeper cannot control the ball with his hands for more than six seconds, doing so results in indirect free kick. Six seconds is actually quite a long time - stack pushed his luck yesterday I think brines showed some leniency because of there being two or three killie players preventing him from playing it quickly.

Gala Foxes
05-02-2012, 08:36 AM
for someone who came into Scottish football as a total nobody (other than being Dean's Dad) he has managed to build a profile, by coming out with his "philosophy" on football and some pretty bitter digs at teams that Killie have either struggled to beat or lost to.

Sadly the media and BBC lap this up and give it airtime, although to be fair he is more entertaining than muppets like Jimmy Calderwood, Sandy Clark etc that come out with the same old comments every time

Pretty unique blaming Stack for holding on to the ball for the defeat

Newcastlehibby
05-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Bearing in mind some of our heroic defensive performances you must be absolutely off your trolley to suggest Hibs dominated that game. You were at a different game to the majority I'd guess.

There were some good signs and I'm over the moon at the result but I'm absolutely stunned at your statement.

Griffiths cannot come back quick enough and we desperately need some quality in central midfield- hopefully Claros will provide that.

Absolutely. We played mostly hoofball for the last 70 mins with Stack the worst offender. Midfield was generally bypassed and was one of the reasons why Killie got so much of the ball.

Hibs7
05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
I thought the midfield were playing too close to the defence, they should have pushed up the park a bit, then they might have got more second balls.

Barney McGrew
05-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Whether Stack held on to the ball or not, Killie had more than enough of it to create problems for us and the simple fact is they didn't and that's why they were beaten.

Nae luck Shiels :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
05-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Was Stack holding onto the ball for ages? The rule is only that he has to release the ball after 6 seconds (if the rule is still in operation), so if he'd dropped it to his feet to kick it the ball's effectively in play, and the ref can't do anything about it.

They showed a clip on Sportscene during the Shiels interview where he held the ball in his hands for around 15s. Not sure if the rule is still in operation, if it is then Stack definitely broke it.

It's one of those where, if the ref notices, he would probably have a word with Stack before penalising him.

There was some truth in what Shiels said about dominatng the later part of the match but he has a cheek complaining about the ref when we had a perfectly good goal cut off.

coco22
05-02-2012, 10:38 AM
I thought the midfield were playing too close to the defence, they should have pushed up the park a bit, then they might have got more second balls.

the ball was generally sailing over the midfielders' heads, to be won by the killie defence and not mopped up by our midfield. ironically back to front needs a sodje type player, not a fat gaz or wee roy/ivan! we need to think about being less direct and less obvious but i think that will come wit the team gelling and a wee bit more creativity.

givescotlandfreedom
05-02-2012, 10:40 AM
They showed a clip on Sportscene during the Shiels interview where he held the ball in his hands for around 15s. Not sure if the rule is still in operation, if it is then Stack definitely broke it.

It's one of those where, if the ref notices, he would probably have a word with Stack before penalising him.

There was some truth in what Shiels said about dominatng the later part of the match but he has a cheek complaining about the ref when we had a perfectly good goal cut off.

:agree: Yeah, let's even this out for Kenny:
Stack gets a yellow card for time wasting
Killie fud booked for diving (or banned for two games if the ref didn't spot it)
Hibs score another and win 2-0

I hope he's chuffed now :aok:

Beefster
05-02-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist more....it's just a "reasonable time" rule now.......

It still applies.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12_en.pdf

truehibernian
05-02-2012, 10:49 AM
:agree: Yeah, let's even this out for Kenny:
Stack gets a yellow card for time wasting
Killie fud booked for diving (or banned for two games if the ref didn't spot it)
Hibs score another and win 2-0

I hope he's chuffed now :aok:

Or, if Kenny wanted all rules followed to the letter, Nelson would have received two yellows in quick succession, one for his challenge, the second for foul and abusive language towards Brines on being booked.

For the record Ian Brines needs to look at the advantage rule, as twice when Hibs broke away he brought the game back, yet he allowed advantage for Killie on a few occasions. I thought he was awful yesterday. Three times he seemed to go against his linesmen, or should I say guessed and changed his mind. Poor refereeing.

Dashing Bob S
05-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Shiels was moaning but so what? At least he's showing a bit of passion and disappointment about being knocked out the cup. I'd rather gave that than a bland platitude from the likes if Calderwood.

If course i'd rather still be in the cup.

bigwheel
05-02-2012, 11:44 AM
It still applies.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12_en.pdf

Ok, good spot ...... I love to hear opposing managers moaning about how hard done by they feel they were against us.....I could listen to that every Saturday and be delighted!

LeithBoozy
05-02-2012, 01:43 PM
He really should not be highlighting this rule, I can see it coming back and biting him on the erse. Killie 1-0 up with a couple of minutes to go, ref gives Celtic a free-kick because of the 6 second rule, they score and go on to win the cup, dear o dear.:rolleyes:

BEEJ
05-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Now that Shiels has highlighted stack in this manner our goalie better speed up his kickouts in the next few games. If he tries it against Aberdeen it's guaranteed he'll be penalised for it.

I'm beginning to resent Managers using post-match media interviews as a platform for having a dig at specific named players in the opposing side. We all know where McInnes 'guilty' verdict on Garry O'Connor has got us, despite the subsequent confirmation of Garry's innocence on the incident in question.

matty_f
05-02-2012, 02:32 PM

I'm beginning to resent Managers using post-match media interviews as a platform for having a dig at specific named players in the opposing side. We all know where McInnes 'guilty' verdict on Garry O'Connor has got us, despite the subsequent confirmation of Garry's innocence on the incident in question.

Totally agree with this, it then takes someone like Fenlon weeks mentioning that Garry's getting picked on for it to even out.

Have to say I was getting the rage at dives against us going unpunished. St Johnstone were at it, Killie were at it - ref does nothing about it.

Garry gets fouled, we get bugger-all in the way of a foul for it and he gets booked. Tossers.

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Had a quick word with a Killie fan after the game. He said nothing about us wasting time or not deserving to win but instead said it was their fault for not creating anything despite having a lot of the ball and they we defended well.

Sas_The_Hibby
05-02-2012, 02:57 PM

I timed it on the Sportscene clip (saddo! :greengrin ) and it was 18 seconds. That's pushing it in my opinion. It hardly made a difference to the final result but it could have done if the ref had awarded them an indirect free kick in our box......

It may sound trivial but it's the kind of thing coaches should be picking up on and pointing out to players. Get penalised once and it could lose you a game.

YehButNoBut
10-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Shields in the DR today commenting on Hearts and saying that Sergio should walk due to Vlad's interfering

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/02/10/killie-boss-kenny-shiels-blasts-hearts-supremo-vladimir-romanov-ahead-of-rugby-park-clash-86908-23742946/

KENNY SHIELS last night turned the heat up ahead of Hearts’ visit to Rugby Park tomorrow by claiming Vladimir Romanov shouldn’t even be involved in the game.
The Kilmarnock boss is arguably the most outspoken man in Scottish football and while his opinions are refreshing, they won’t please everyone.
And Shiels was as outspoken as ever yesterday when he insisted the sooner Romanov sells his shares and leaves Hearts the better for all concerned.
Shiels said: “People like Romanov should not be in sport. Full stop. They are defeating all the morals and principles of it.”

The Northern Irishman then turned his attention to Hearts manager Paulo Sergio and said he should have walked out the moment Romanov tried to influence his team selection.

Shiels says he’s a man of principle and admits he would have said his goodbyes at Rugby Park had the club’s chairman told him who to play.
Sergio has admitted Romanov forced him to axe Marian Kello for the 1-1 Scottish Cup draw with St Johnstone.

But the Killie boss says he doesn’t have any sympathy for Sergio because he allowed himself to be dictated to.

Shiels said: “Do I feel sorry for him over the goalkeeping situation? No, I don’t because he’s broken his trust with his players.

“If you stick by your principles you develop a trust with your team. I would never break my principles.

“He’s taken the wrong stance on it. He should say: ‘I’m the manager – sack me if I can’t make the decisions’.

“It can be different in Europe when the coach coaches the squad and someone upstairs selects the team.

“Unless the chairman said to him when he took the job there will be occasions when he’ll pick the team – but I can’t see that being the case.

“If Michael Johnston tried to do the same with me then that would be it. I’m a man of principle. It’s the way my father brought us up in Northern Ireland.

“It’s not high moral ground. But it’s important to me I have a trust with my players. If they don’t trust me then I’ve lost the dressing room.

“As soon as you lose the dressing room you might as well walk away. Michael has been the opposite to the Hearts chairman.

“Sergio’s situation should have been dealt with better. If I’d been in his shoes I’d have had five words for Romanov: Back me or sack me.

“He’s certainly not backing him. If I agreed to not pick a certain player, how could I look at myself in the mirror?

“It’s totally wrong what the Hearts manager’s done. Even more so than what Romanov has done.”

However, Shiels does feel sorry for Hearts after the way in which they lost 4-0 to Celtic at Tynecastle on Wednesday night.

The Jambos had a perfectly good goal chalked off before they were taken apart by Neil Lennon’s men.
And Shiels insists the time has come for goal-line technology to prevent this sort of situation ruining the game. He said: “You really have to feel sorry for Hearts because it was a two-goal swing.

“They scored a good goal and from the resulting counter attack, Celtic went 1-0 up. It had a big influence on the outcome. The players will be thinking this is unfair.

“It’s time to bring in goal-line technology. It’s commonsense. I don’t know why it hasn’t been brought in. I t has to come as a directive from FIFA.”

Shiels won’t change his outspoken ways but admits he’s sometimes misunderstood.

He said: “Some of it self-inflicted but I do get pilloried for giving an honest answer to questions sometimes.”

And he stands by criticism he made of Ayr’s tactics following Killie’s 1-0 League Cup semi-final win – and of Hibs after the Rugby Park men were beaten 1-0 in the Scottish Cup fifth round last Saturday. Shiels said: “I gave an honest answer to the question of whether Ayr contributed to the game. I gave them lots of credit but added if they had also had a go they could have beaten us.

“I said we wouldn’t have played like that if we were playing Barcelona but what I should have said was our finishing should have been better.

“I was also right in what I said after the Hibs game. The keeper was on the ball seven minutes and 25 seconds more than what he should have been.

“I don’t blame the goalkeeper or Hibs but the point I was making to the fourth official was he’s got to do his job. It’s also the man in the middle’s duty to football to keep the game flowing.”

Meanwhile, ex-Hearts midfielder Lee Johnson could sign for Killie on a two-and-a-half year deal – and face his former side tomorrow – if he passes the medical.
Johnson, 30, left Bristol City at the start of the year.

Mikeystewart
10-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Couldn't be arsed reading through the whole thread but has it been mentioned that he did an interview with chick young before the draw with the pars where he admitted that his post match interviews are more of a tactic to get into the heads of the other team? I have no problem with this as players and fans do it during a game so why not the managers. I find it fascinating watching the mind games between managers. Keep it up Kenny :top marks

Edit: people need to chill out about what managers say, most of the time its obviously just a way of deflecting blame away from their team, Arsene Wenger has been doing it for at least 16 years Ferguson even longer!

Twa Cairpets
10-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Shields in the DR today commenting on Hearts and saying that Sergio should walk due to Vlad's interfering

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/02/10/killie-boss-kenny-shiels-blasts-hearts-supremo-vladimir-romanov-ahead-of-rugby-park-clash-86908-23742946/

KENNY SHIELS last night turned the heat up ahead of Hearts’ visit to Rugby Park tomorrow by claiming Vladimir Romanov shouldn’t even be involved in the game.
The Kilmarnock boss is arguably the most outspoken man in Scottish football and while his opinions are refreshing, they won’t please everyone.
And Shiels was as outspoken as ever yesterday when he insisted the sooner Romanov sells his shares and leaves Hearts the better for all concerned.
Shiels said: “People like Romanov should not be in sport. Full stop. They are defeating all the morals and principles of it.”

The Northern Irishman then turned his attention to Hearts manager Paulo Sergio and said he should have walked out the moment Romanov tried to influence his team selection.

Shiels says he’s a man of principle and admits he would have said his goodbyes at Rugby Park had the club’s chairman told him who to play.
Sergio has admitted Romanov forced him to axe Marian Kello for the 1-1 Scottish Cup draw with St Johnstone.

But the Killie boss says he doesn’t have any sympathy for Sergio because he allowed himself to be dictated to.

Shiels said: “Do I feel sorry for him over the goalkeeping situation? No, I don’t because he’s broken his trust with his players.

“If you stick by your principles you develop a trust with your team. I would never break my principles.

“He’s taken the wrong stance on it. He should say: ‘I’m the manager – sack me if I can’t make the decisions’.

“It can be different in Europe when the coach coaches the squad and someone upstairs selects the team.

“Unless the chairman said to him when he took the job there will be occasions when he’ll pick the team – but I can’t see that being the case.

“If Michael Johnston tried to do the same with me then that would be it. I’m a man of principle. It’s the way my father brought us up in Northern Ireland.

“It’s not high moral ground. But it’s important to me I have a trust with my players. If they don’t trust me then I’ve lost the dressing room.

“As soon as you lose the dressing room you might as well walk away. Michael has been the opposite to the Hearts chairman.

“Sergio’s situation should have been dealt with better. If I’d been in his shoes I’d have had five words for Romanov: Back me or sack me.

“He’s certainly not backing him. If I agreed to not pick a certain player, how could I look at myself in the mirror?

“It’s totally wrong what the Hearts manager’s done. Even more so than what Romanov has done.”

However, Shiels does feel sorry for Hearts after the way in which they lost 4-0 to Celtic at Tynecastle on Wednesday night.

The Jambos had a perfectly good goal chalked off before they were taken apart by Neil Lennon’s men.
And Shiels insists the time has come for goal-line technology to prevent this sort of situation ruining the game. He said: “You really have to feel sorry for Hearts because it was a two-goal swing.

“They scored a good goal and from the resulting counter attack, Celtic went 1-0 up. It had a big influence on the outcome. The players will be thinking this is unfair.

“It’s time to bring in goal-line technology. It’s commonsense. I don’t know why it hasn’t been brought in. I t has to come as a directive from FIFA.”

Shiels won’t change his outspoken ways but admits he’s sometimes misunderstood.

He said: “Some of it self-inflicted but I do get pilloried for giving an honest answer to questions sometimes.”

And he stands by criticism he made of Ayr’s tactics following Killie’s 1-0 League Cup semi-final win – and of Hibs after the Rugby Park men were beaten 1-0 in the Scottish Cup fifth round last Saturday. Shiels said: “I gave an honest answer to the question of whether Ayr contributed to the game. I gave them lots of credit but added if they had also had a go they could have beaten us.

“I said we wouldn’t have played like that if we were playing Barcelona but what I should have said was our finishing should have been better.

“I was also right in what I said after the Hibs game. The keeper was on the ball seven minutes and 25 seconds more than what he should have been.

“I don’t blame the goalkeeper or Hibs but the point I was making to the fourth official was he’s got to do his job. It’s also the man in the middle’s duty to football to keep the game flowing.”

Meanwhile, ex-Hearts midfielder Lee Johnson could sign for Killie on a two-and-a-half year deal – and face his former side tomorrow – if he passes the medical.
Johnson, 30, left Bristol City at the start of the year.

From twitter:
markbenstead Mark Benstead
#Hearts - PS slaughtering Kenny shiels for comments about hearts - brands him a clown

#Hearts - PS says mourinho has a lot to learn from Kenny shiels

bingo70
10-02-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm no one to stick up for hearts but think Shiels has made more of a tit of himself about these comments about pauLO SERgio, even if he thinks it there's no benefit to him saying it, get the feeling now while at first i've no doubt he was just being honest i think he now likes and craves the attention so just says things to be contriversial.

I also think the position hearts are in it makes sense for them to give their young keeper first team experience if he's going to be their first choice next season, that said if thats what they're doing it should be PauLO SERgios choice, not Vlads.

Twa Cairpets
10-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Fair play to the cardigan wearer

#Hearts - PS says shiels has saved him money on comedy clubs as he gets all his jokes reading shiels comments in papers.

bawheid
10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
From twitter:
#Hearts - PS slaughtering Kenny shiels for comments about hearts - brands him a clown

Fair play to the cardigan wearer

#Hearts - PS says shiels has saved him money on comedy clubs as he gets all his jokes reading shiels comments in papers.

Shiels will be sitting back thinking, "job done".

LOSER is obviously riled by the criticism and therefore Shiels has achieved his stated aim of getting inside the opposition's heads.

I hope Kilmarnock melt them.

blackpoolhibs
10-02-2012, 09:53 AM

LOSER is obviously riled by the criticism and therefore Shiels has achieved his stated aim of getting inside the opposition's heads.

:agree: On saturday i thought his comments were sour grapes, but what he says about the tynecastle situation is spot on.

Twa Cairpets
10-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Maybe, so, but it doesnt detract from the fact that he is a plonker. Somewhere this will backfire on him - I can't thank of a better way of motivating Sergio judging by his reaction. Its not a Keeganesque meltdown, its a wee Portuguese guy ripping the p!sh out of Shiels.

I do of course concur fully with the fervernt wish of a melting.

CallumLaidlaw
10-02-2012, 10:28 AM
From twitter:

Sergio was asked if he would shake K Shiels' hand tomorrow, his reply along the lines: 'of course, but I may also grab him by throat too'

Beefster
10-02-2012, 10:32 AM
:agree: On saturday i thought his comments were sour grapes, but what he says about the tynecastle situation is spot on.

He probably is but, considering their form is probably as bad as ours, he should be concentrating on his own club. He's evidently a classless twat.

blackpoolhibs
10-02-2012, 10:47 AM
He probably is but, considering their form is probably as bad as ours, he should be concentrating on his own club.

Dont agree, I get fed up of managers not having an opinion, and saying lots of nothing. Its fine by me if someone comes out and actually gives their opinion, even if i disagree with it.

We cant have a pop at Sergio/Burley/Rix/Robertson/Shaba/ for having no backbone, then have a go at Sheils for telling it as it is?

silverhibee
10-02-2012, 11:07 AM

If the 6 second rule still apllies where that is the length of time the goalie can keep hold of the ball, then i would say KS had every right to mention it and complain about it, when watching the game i thought Stacky was taking a risk holding on to the ball for as long as he did on a few occasions, and i did wonder why the ref never warned Stack about, my only thought was that they must have done away with the six second rule and that was why the ref wasn't taking any action about it.

I like KS, seem an honest man and isn't feared to say what he thinks, he got it spot on with the Ayr game and called it right but the press thought he was being petty after there win when he spoke to the press, i think he was just being honest about how that game went and the press didn't like his respone about Ayr and there negative way they approached a semi- final game and thought he was being disrespectful to Ayr, tough cookies to the press, they ask awkward questions and KS anwered with an honest reply.

jonty
10-02-2012, 11:13 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16983661

Saorsa
10-02-2012, 11:18 AM
If the 6 second rule still apllies where that is the length of time the goalie can keep hold of the ball, then i would say KS had every right to mention it and complain about it, when watching the game i thought Stacky was taking a risk holding on to the ball for as long as he did on a few occasions, and i did wonder why the ref never warned Stack about, my only thought was that they must have done away with the six second rule and that was why the ref wasn't taking any action about it.

I like KS, seem an honest man and isn't feared to say what he thinks, he got it spot on with the Ayr game and called it right but the press thought he was being petty after there win when he spoke to the press, i think he was just being honest about how that game went and the press didn't like his respone about Ayr and there negative way they approached a semi- final game and thought he was being disrespectful to Ayr, tough cookies to the press, they ask awkward questions and KS anwered with an honest reply.During all his 'honest' appraisals I havenae heard him mention anything about his diving players yet, in the same game he was criticising Stack for wasting time, or is it only the opposition he's 'honest' about. If he's no going tae be 'honest' about the whole game then it just sounds like sour grapes, which is exactly what it was IMO. The guy is a roaster.

NOLA
10-02-2012, 11:24 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16983661
deano should tell his dad to shut his mooth, even the eyebrow is laughing at him.

H18sry
10-02-2012, 11:25 AM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/hearts/297069-hearts-boss-hits-back-at-kenny-shiels/ :greengrin

silverhibee
10-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Matty, i would say Stacky was holding on to the ball a lot longer than six seconds at times, the reason the ref didn't do anything about it was my thinking that they must have done away with the six second rule as i thought Stacky was kicking the arse out of it a bit and thought he may get penalized for it, but never.

But i hope Stacky is reading this and gets rid of the ball with-in the six seconds rule tomorrow, as there seems to be a bit of a witch hunt from the press media journo's compliance officer refs and BBC sportsound against Hibs this season, if i was Stacky i would be getting rid of the ball as soon as he can with-in the six seconds tomorrow, its had plenty publicity this week and tomorrows ref will be keeping an eye on our goalkeeper tomorrow to see how long the ball is in his hands, more than six seconds and it wouldn't surprise me if the ref gave a foul against Stack for holding on to the ball for to long.

Elephant Stone
10-02-2012, 11:34 AM
It's a shame Killie are playing Hearts this week, I'd quite like to see them getting dicked. Neil Lennon must be delighted at all of this, Shiels will be the most hated manager in the league before long at this rate.

silverhibee
10-02-2012, 11:39 AM

silverhibee
10-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Dont agree, I get fed up of managers not having an opinion, and saying lots of nothing. Its fine by me if someone comes out and actually gives their opinion, even if i disagree with it.

We cant have a pop at Sergio/Burley/Rix/Robertson/Shaba/ for having no backbone, then have a go at Sheils for telling it as it is?

And again. :agree:

Dashing Bob S
10-02-2012, 11:47 AM

I feel the same way. He said:

1. People like Romanov should have no place in sport.
2. The manager, not the owner, should select the team.
3. If the owner interferes the manager should walk.

Absolutely nothing contentious here. Ourselves and most sane onlookers have been saying the same thing for years.

I know we've been poor for a few years, mainly due to bad managerial appointments, but a few people here seem to buy into the ludicrous Yam propaganda to the extent that outspending your rivals by five to one with other peoples money while driving your club to the brink of extinction in order to rack up a few derby wins makes them Real Madrid.

It makes them clowns.

We've just become so used to their lunacy and our media are so craven that it takes an outsider to remind us what a messed up bunch they are.

Scottish football, and us in particular, have been treating Hearts as the headbanging, looney sibling and making excuses for them for too long.

Hibtastic
10-02-2012, 12:19 PM
It's a shame Killie are playing Hearts this week, I'd quite like to see them getting dicked. Neil Lennon must be delighted at all of this, Shiels will be the most hated manager in the league before long at this rate.

I was just thinking - NL has been very quiet this year!! Refreshing change from last year's shenanigans!!!

matty_f
10-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Matty, i would say Stacky was holding on to the ball a lot longer than six seconds at times, the reason the ref didn't do anything about it was my thinking that they must have done away with the six second rule as i thought Stacky was kicking the arse out of it a bit and thought he may get penalized for it, but never.

But i hope Stacky is reading this and gets rid of the ball with-in the six seconds rule tomorrow, as there seems to be a bit of a witch hunt from the press media journo's compliance officer refs and BBC sportsound against Hibs this season, if i was Stacky i would be getting rid of the ball as soon as he can with-in the six seconds tomorrow, its had plenty publicity this week and tomorrows ref will be keeping an eye on our goalkeeper tomorrow to see how long the ball is in his hands, more than six seconds and it wouldn't surprise me if the ref gave a foul against Stack for holding on to the ball for to long.

Actually reckon it'll serve to put Killie's keeper under more pressure to get rid of the ball quickly, as it was the ref that Shiels was complaining about. Hope they get done for it a few times again, except when they play the Yams, in which case I hope they use as many underhand tactics as they can think of.:greengrin

johnrebus
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Terrific TV interview with the Tynecastle Ringmaster, dissing Sheilds in a big,big way.

Pity for him that everything Deanos dad - plonker or not - says just happens to be true.

:hug:

Gatecrasher
10-02-2012, 01:49 PM

I like KS, seem an honest man and isn't feared to say what he thinks, he got it spot on with the Ayr game and called it right but the press thought he was being petty after there win when he spoke to the press, i think he was just being honest about how that game went and the press didn't like his respone about Ayr and there negative way they approached a semi- final game and thought he was being disrespectful to Ayr, tough cookies to the press, they ask awkward questions and KS anwered with an honest reply.

IMO he was using Stack as a scape goat. He should be looking closer to home as to why he didnt win the game. As he said they had plenty of the play themselves yet didnt win. Stack holding onto the ball for a 15 seconds didnt lose them the game.

Elephant Stone
10-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Terrific TV interview with the Tynecastle Ringmaster, dissing Sheilds in a big,big way.

Pity for him that everything Deanos dad - plonker or not - says just happens to be true.

:hug:

It is true but that's not really the point. What he's saying is well know to everyone in Scottish football, he's not saying anything insightful at all but he feels he's got to let the people know what Kenny Shiels thinks about it. I think between most managers who are decent people there's some respect for each other as well, Shiels is sticking his nose into something which is none of his business whatsoever and it's pretty disrespectful to the guy. He's a total nobody who's been here 5 minutes and he already sees himself as some kind of revolutionary but in reality he's just a boring cock who's saying nothing we haven't heard a thousand times before. He should shut up.

johnrebus
10-02-2012, 02:24 PM
It is true but that's not really the point. What he's saying is well know to everyone in Scottish football, he's not saying anything insightful at all but he feels he's got to let the people know what Kenny Shiels thinks about it. I think between most managers who are decent people there's some respect for each other as well, Shiels is sticking his nose into something which is none of his business whatsoever and it's pretty disrespectful to the guy. He's a total nobody who's been here 5 minutes and he already sees himself as some kind of revolutionary but in reality he's just a boring cock who's saying nothing we haven't heard a thousand times before. He should shut up.

Ok, fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion.

But IMHO the managers union in this country makes for a very boring game. I don't have a problem with characters like Shields popping up from time to time and telling it like it is, instead of the usual tedious drivel.

Besides, at least he doesn't shave his evebrows off..........,

:flamed:

tamig
10-02-2012, 06:18 PM

The six second rule is still with us. From the FIFA website;

Indirect free kick
An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his
own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:
• controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing
it from his possession

BEEJ
10-02-2012, 06:36 PM
It is true but that's not really the point. What he's saying is well know to everyone in Scottish football, he's not saying anything insightful at all but he feels he's got to let the people know what Kenny Shiels thinks about it. I think between most managers who are decent people there's some respect for each other as well, Shiels is sticking his nose into something which is none of his business whatsoever and it's pretty disrespectful to the guy.
:agree: Agree completely.

What Shiels likes to present as being his open and honest style actually amounts to an inflated ego and dreadful naivety.

bighairyfaeleith
10-02-2012, 09:34 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/hearts/297069-hearts-boss-hits-back-at-kenny-shiels/ :greengrin

dinnae care about shiels one way or the other but how a man with eyebrows like that can call anyone a clown is frankly comedy gold:greengrin

The yams don't get irony, but if they did!!

hibees707070
11-02-2012, 04:00 AM
Out of all the things shiels had said this week have 2 admit don't disagree with any of it!

ano hibby
11-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Here's hoping Stack has good reason to waste time today.

johncrobertson@
11-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Being open and honest is good - the difference between KS and other Managers, is that I have never heard him say anything positive about any other Team / Manager. He certainly never said anything decent about PF or the obvious difference in the Hibs team last Saturday. Most other Managers would have said Hibs defended really well and that they fought well for each other. He goes on that defending is easy / we were time wasting from 20 minutes in etc.........................

Hibs7
11-02-2012, 08:47 AM
How much of that time Stack had the ball was the ball at his feet, Stack has a habit of kicking the ball from the ground rather than hand.

Gala Foxes
11-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Paulo Sergio's assessment of Kenny Shiels is spot on

Shiels has an at best modest record as a football manager - he manages a bottom six club that struggles to get 5k people through its turnstiles.

In his interviews he is like a moaning schoolkid blaming everyone else rather than talking about his own team.

The Scottish media lap it up as the rest of the managers in the SPL are so bland (Brown/McIntyre/Houston etc)

Shiels is like a jester - making a fool of himself everytime he takes the mike

Spot on Paulo - thanks for making me laugh