PDA

View Full Version : Players We've Persevered With In The Hope That They'll Come Good

Dashing Bob S
04-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Tends to happen more with guys who have came through the youth system (currently Stevenson, Hanlon and Wotherspoon spring to mind) but is quite a widespread phenomenon.

I recall Brian Hamilton being a fixture in Hibs starting line up season after season.

And for Hearts to lose a derby at Tynecastle by a Brian Kerr strike may yet prove more embarrassing than losing one 0-7 at home or blowing the League and Cup double in the last two games of the season in 86.

zlatan
04-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Alan O'Brien got a clean slate from someone on here every time he successfully completed a pass.

huggie1875
04-02-2012, 05:23 AM
player that annoyed me most was Tony Rougier but that was laziness more than anything

SRHibs
04-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Jarko Wiss.:agree:

Hibby 2005
04-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Several goalkeepers.

bigwheel
04-02-2012, 06:50 AM
The one I always hoped would come good was Tam McManus - goal at Ibrox anyone??? Never quite hit the heights.......

bingo70
04-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Pretty sure billy findlay was pish for years, had a terrific 6 months, linked to the premiership then went back to being pish again!

R'Albin
04-02-2012, 07:33 AM
De Graaf?

Franck is God
04-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Someone that on this board has a position on the pitch named after him....

Matthias Jack arrived as a central defender from Germany and in all honesty wasn't that great at it. When pushed into a midfield role alongside Latapy and O'Neil was like a different player.

I am almost certain that if HIBS.NET was as widely used then as now he would have been hounded out the club after his first season and never given a chance to prove himself as a player for us.

The thread title should really be 'players that the Hibs management have continued to pick because they know the talent is there even if the fans don't' but thats a bit long winded and closer to the truth than some would like to admit...

jodjam
04-02-2012, 08:09 AM
My last girlfriend :wink: ......or would have to agree with Tam McManus. Just never lived up to the expectation.

Alan62
04-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Dashing Bob, I have to take exception at your inclusion of David Wotherspoon who is a very fine young player - a player, remember, who has already chalked up over 100 appearances for Hibs in a number of positions. Fair enough there may still be some debate as to which is his best position but, make no mistake, he is a very good player. I still believe that Hanlon will come good. His problems are more easily identifiable (lapses of concentration, occasionally weak in the tackle and doesn't always clear his lines) but he's also young and will improve.

Stevenson is a survivor. It strikes me that he's nearly good enough. He's intelligent and he works hard and that helps him to overcome his shortcomings but while he's a useful guy to have in the squad there will always be people who moan about his every contribution - like one numpty who sits near me.

Having said all that, I liked Brian Hamilton as well. Unlike Brian Kerr, Hammy actually did the 'unseen' work and made a significant difference in the Hibs midfield of the time.

Franck is God
04-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Dashing Bob, I have to take exception at your inclusion of David Wotherspoon who is a very fine young player - a player, remember, who has already chalked up over 100 appearances for Hibs in a number of positions. Fair enough there may still be some debate as to which is his best position but, make no mistake, he is a very good player. I still believe that Hanlon will come good. His problems are more easily identifiable (lapses of concentration, occasionally weak in the tackle and doesn't always clear his lines) but he's also young and will improve.

Stevenson is a survivor. It strikes me that he's nearly good enough. He's intelligent and he works hard and that helps him to overcome his shortcomings but while he's a useful guy to have in the squad there will always be people who moan about his every contribution - like one numpty who sits near me.

Having said all that, I liked Brian Hamilton as well. Unlike Brian Kerr, Hammy actually did the 'unseen' work and made a significant difference in the Hibs midfield of the time.

Our last lot of young players to come through had a good bunch of senior pros that could play a bit too and the mix of youth and experience actually brought good performances from both of them.

Our current young players seem to have to do it by themselves, over the last couple of season the likes of Murray, Hart, Stack, Brown, O'Hanlon, Rankin, O'Connor, Riordan and all the others that have game experience have offered little guidance and support to the players moving up from the under 19's.

Hopefully the likes of McPake, Soares, Claros, O'Donovan who have experience of being at clubs at a good level can pass on their experiences and lift the dressing room a bit. Even the younger players that have arrived have come from good clubs and have had day to day training with some top players.

And I was a big fan of Hammy too!

Phil D. Rolls
04-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Going back a bit - Gary Murray springs to mind.

Elephant Stone
04-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Danny Galbraith. I still think he might, or maybe it's just hope.

Forza Fred
04-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Probably the classic of all time was a youngster who ws bought for a then outrageous sum, in the expectation that he ws on the road into developing into a superstar.

Didnt quite work out that way.

'Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...

Mark McGraw

MartinfaePorty
04-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Mark McGraw began to form a good partnership with Keith Wright, until Norrie McCathie of Dunfermline broke his leg at Easter Road (you can see this 'tackle' on YouTube - ref decided wasn't even worth a yellow!). Never really recovered after that.

One player that springs to mind is Kevin Nicol. McLeish signed him on loan from Raith and then kept extending his loan period before finally signing him on a permanent contract. Only ever featured in the first team during the period when we were giving everyone a game (Alan Reid, the Dempsies, Proctor). Never did anything for me nor anyone I spoke to and no idea what Alex saw in him.

MrRobot
04-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I think ite harsh to include Stevenson. Hes a good wee player, never moans about anything and can play a few different positions if needed.

He has also been selected almost every week since Paddy came in so im hoping he see's here is a player in him. H

ChooseLife
04-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Players who look pish but we persist/ed with;

Zibi
Simon Brown
Konte
Konde
Sam Morrow
Shelton Martis
Hanlon
Stevenson

Players who looked good/decent but where never given a proper chance;

Humphrey Rudge
Jamie McCluskey
Jay Shields
Clayton Donaldson
Torben Joneleit
Fabio Yantorno
Noubissie? (he played 4 games but I remember him getting some praise on here)

Dashing Bob S
04-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Actually, I was talking about the general perception of those three players from the stands, rather than my own view of them, which, as it happens, is pretty much in tune with yours. Agree with what you say about Wotherspoon and Stevenson. Would definitely like to see PH make it but am less convinced than you that he will. Big season ahead for him.

But as for Brian Hamilton...well, I recall him hitting the post in the League Cup final but not much else.

ginger_rice
04-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I recall Brian Hamilton being a fixture in Hibs starting line up season after season.

When he was in the Hibs team at that time I'd have agreed with you but now I reckon we could have done with him in the starting line up over the last few seasons

Going back a bit - Gary Murray springs to mind. Aye he blew a bit hot and cold but there were a lot of players in the team at that time who promised a lot but didn't deliver over time, what about Bobby Hutchison (sp?)

hibee81
04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Players who look pish but we persist/ed with;

Zibi
Simon Brown
Konte
Konde
Sam Morrow
Shelton Martis
Hanlon
Stevenson

Players who looked good/decent but where never given a proper chance;

Humphrey Rudge
Jamie McCluskey
Jay Shields
Clayton Donaldson
Torben Joneleit
Fabio Yantorno
Noubissie? (he played 4 games but I remember him getting some praise on here)

Hes been the most consistent player this season and looks good doing it, he at the moment is the only player worthy of a hibs shirt and the previous 4 managers cant all be wrong by not punting him!!!!!!!!

marleyhib
04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Hammy was gash, was gobsmacked when Hearts signed him

PatHead
04-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I would trump everyone with Joe Tortolano and Benny Brazil.

Scouse Hibee
04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Ivan Sproule this time around :agree:

Eyrie
04-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Hammy was gash, was delighted when Hearts signed him
Fixed it for you :aok:

Having seen most of Hamilton's home (and some away) appearances for us, I'm very surprised that he's getting any praise. He was so good at the unseen work that you could concentrate on him for 90 minutes and not see it.

Sergey
04-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Not as a player, but we should have rid ourselves of Yogi long before we did when he was manager.

He should have been shown the door immediately after the 6-6 debacle.

Mark79
04-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Sean o'hanlon

heretoday
04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Mike Conroy and Bobby Torrance.

Hibernia Na Eir
04-02-2012, 01:51 PM
HAS to be de Graf!
was supposed to be class, he wasn't.

Paisley Hibby
04-02-2012, 01:56 PM

I'd was going to say the same about Hamilton - he was a good player for us despite all the stick he got from some fans. Similar to Stuart Lovell - who also got a hard time until he went to Livingston and suddenly the fans who had been giving him grief realised what a good job he had been doing for us.

judas
04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Someone that on this board has a position on the pitch named after him....

Matthias Jack arrived as a central defender from Germany and in all honesty wasn't that great at it. When pushed into a midfield role alongside Latapy and O'Neil was like a different player.

I am almost certain that if HIBS.NET was as widely used then as now he would have been hounded out the club after his first season and never given a chance to prove himself as a player for us.

The thread title should really be 'players that the Hibs management have continued to pick because they know the talent is there even if the fans don't' but thats a bit long winded and closer to the truth than some would like to admit...

Very very true:agree:

maximushibee
04-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Victor palsson decenet at times but utter pish other times maybe he was played in the wrong positions