PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon's desperation ...

Jim44
02-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Not my words .................. but those of Alan Pattullo, deputy and sidekick of Jambo fanatic, Stuart Bathgate in this morning's Scotsman. Unable ( because of slander law and simply because it's not true) to add fuel the ludicrous accusations of cheating by the Jambo plebs, Pattullo vents his feelings in a sneering, sarcastic attack on Hibs activity in this and last year's transfer windows with terms like 'desperation', 'quick-fix recruits' and 'vote of no confidence in the players he has inherited'. Make your mind up, minor hack, it's barely weeks since you and your 'colleagues' were sneering at and belittling the then Hibs team at any opportunity. The fact that Fenlon has, quite rightly, adopted a 'new broom' approach to his mammoth task seems to have hit a nerve with the Jambo masses who seem intent on 'slating Fenlon and Hibs, no matter what he or they do. :rolleyes:

truehibernian
02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Sometimes though Jim, as tough as it sounds, we all have to take the blinkers off and admit that these are pretty desperate times ahead. If you were a fan of another side, looking in, what would you think of Hibs ? Be honest -

Collins, Mixu, Hughes, CC and now Fenlon - in five seasons. Every window, players cleared out, a rash of signings brought in. Beaten in cups by lower league sides. Bottom 6 last year, not winning a game after the split despite being safe. Second bottom now, half way through the season, only by a point.

I am a critic of the Beeb and journalists too, but for me, we (as a club) only have ourselves to blame for the mess, and it is a mess, we are in. No continuity, poor recruitment, poor marketing, poor decision making and poor investment. Hence our desperate position.

But in Pat Fenlon I sense an optimism, a desire, a work ethic, and an ambition to really succeed. Been far too long though to wait for such optimism IMHO. The window was okay for me - I am not overly excited as I have no real knowledge of the players. We shall see. I still think RP should do the honourable thing in summer and step aside as I think the club at that level needs refreshed and invigorated. It needs a very clear, but new direction.

I'll go along on Saturday as usual and pray that the new guys bed in well and lift the side. They all have encouraging CV's. The one that most fans (from parent clubs) seem to be raving about is Doherty from Wolves. Most cannot believe they have allowed him to go. And despite their position, I think McCarthy is rather good at spotting a player......so I will go to ER with hope and optimism.

HibeeMG
02-02-2012, 08:02 AM

We're quite happy having to worry about whether our new signings will gel and how long a cup run we can go on before seeing our hopes dashed.

They've got a lot more important and serious things to worry about.

Apart from being too good looking and too intelligent for it to actually happen, I wouldn't want to be a Yam right now.

EasterRoad4Ever
02-02-2012, 08:13 AM
O
Not my words .................. but those of Alan Pattullo, deputy and sidekick of Jambo fanatic, Stuart Bathgate in this morning's Scotsman. Unable ( because of slander law and simply because it's not true) to add fuel the ludicrous accusations of cheating by the Jambo plebs, Pattullo vents his feelings in a sneering, sarcastic attack on Hibs activity in this and last year's transfer windows with terms like 'desperation', 'quick-fix recruits' and 'vote of no confidence in the players he has inherited'. Make your mind up, minor hack, it's barely weeks since you and your 'colleagues' were sneering at and belittling the then Hibs team at any opportunity. The fact that Fenlon has, quite rightly, adopted a 'new broom' approach to his mammoth task seems to have hit a nerve with the Jambo masses who seem intent on 'slating Fenlon and Hibs, no matter what he or they do. :rolleyes:

Interesting, I thought it was a reasonable analysis and conclusion to what has been happening at ER in the last 12 months. In fact there is a similar article in today''s Herald drawing the same conclusions.

Just because a journo doesn't like us doesn't automatically make him wrong. Home truths can be hard to swallow when laid bare in one place. Most of the points have been made on this board over the year by ardent Hibbys.

Does anyone think these signing were part of Felons master plan when he arrived three months ago?

ahibby
02-02-2012, 08:25 AM
I haven't read the article but from reading the op, the key word used and worthy of comment on is 'desperation'. As others have said above we are in a desperate situation but the actions taken in the January window aren't necessarily desperate ones. Certain players have to be shifted and PF has started that it therefore follows that certain players have to be brought in and when you look at the clubs those players are coming from and in some cases they are internationalists, then I don't see the actions taken as being desperate but necessary and prudent. The article then in my view, from reading one or two quotes on it, has some credence but isn't completely fair.

The Voice Of Reason
02-02-2012, 08:56 AM
O

Interesting, I thought it was a reasonable analysis and conclusion to what has been happening at ER in the last 12 months. In fact there is a similar article in today''s Herald drawing the same conclusions.

Just becausea journo doesn't like us doesn't automatically make him wrong. Home truths can be hard to swallow when laid bare I'm one place. Most of the points have been made on this board over the year by ardent Hibbys.

Does anyone think these signing were part of Felons master plan when he arrived three months ago?

Spot on mate.

Beefster
02-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I don't think that there's much wrong with what Pattullo has written. The primary aim is to avoid relegation, there is no guarantee of the quality of the players brought in, we will have to re-built yet again in the summer and, in different circumstances, a lot of the support wouldn't normally be happy with mainly bringing in short-term loans.

He's right about what the players already at Hibs must be thinking too - I just don't particularly care about the feelings of the guys who have, in the main, let us down so badly.

Ray_
02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
I don't think that there's much wrong with what Pattullo has written. The primary aim is to avoid relegation, there is no guarantee of the quality of the players brought in, we will have to re-built yet again in the summer and, in different circumstances, a lot of the support wouldn't normally be happy with mainly bringing in short-term loans.

He's right about what the players already at Hibs must be thinking too - I just don't particularly care about the feelings of the guys who have, in the main, let us down so badly.

100%

We wouldn't have taken this step if we didn't need to & lets face it, to change a team in January is desperation & it certainly needed to be done so well done to PF for having the guts to do it.

Pretty Boy
02-02-2012, 09:17 AM
The signings over the last few days were desperate. We are 1 point of the bottom of the league, they had to be.

I think what people need to realise are that whilst a lot of them are loans there will be a few that will more than likely become permanent. Griffiths, McPake and O'Donovan strike me as the 3 most likely, performance and finances dependant of course.

As for the feelings of some of the guys already at ER, who cares? They had their chance and were found wanting. Nobody to blame but themselves if they are now surplus to requirements.

hibee81
02-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I dont think that he's right in what he's saying about how the tied down hibees players would be thinking, I think it will be like a shot in the arm for them, surely they must be thinking "i'm still here, Fenlon must have a wee spot for me otherwise he would have emptied me with the rest of the dross" or is this just the way i see it??????????

Saorsa
02-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I dont think that he's right in what he's saying about how the tied down hibees players would be thinking, I think it will be like a shot in the arm for them, surely they must be thinking "i'm still here, Fenlon must have a wee spot for me otherwise he would have emptied me with the rest of the dross" or is this just the way i see it??????????Possibly, I just hope he disnae have a wee spot for O'Hanlon and hopefully is a case of just unable tae get rid.

green glory
02-02-2012, 09:43 AM
The signings over the last few days were desperate. We are 1 point of the bottom of the league, they had to be.

I think what people need to realise are that whilst a lot of them are loans there will be a few that will more than likely become permanent. Griffiths, McPake and O'Donovan strike me as the 3 most likely, performance and finances dependant of course.

As for the feelings of some of the guys already at ER, who cares? They had their chance and were found wanting. Nobody to blame but themselves if they are now surplus to requirements.

:top marks

Desperate yes, but only because there's now an urgency to ensure we're not relegated. The team effectively needed to be completely replaced with a few exceptions (Griffiths, O'Conner, Booth, Ozzy). Sauntering along any longer with players who aren't able to put points on the board is unacceptable. Don't think there's anyone who has any problem with who's left, and from what I've seen so far of Doyle, McPake, Soares and Francomb these guys can do job for us. As for the rest time will tell, but they're clearly players with some pedigree and talent.

Fenlon knows what he's doing and the article reeks of bitter Yam-ness. I find it interesting he's talking about desperation when the turds are 30 odd million in debt, no new players coming in and by the summer the last of they're decent players will probably be gone. They might be doing ok in the league just now but I know which club is best positioned for the future. A better stadium, state of the art training facilities, and now I firmly believe a manager who knows what the ***** he's doing and won't suffer hangers-on or prima-donnas. There will probably be long term deals offered to some of these guys at the end of the season, and maybe even some even better players coming in. There are also a lot of good youth players coming through the ranks (Stanton, Caldwell) which will be important in the next couple of seasons.

Onwards and upwards for the Hibees now!! In Fenlon we trust.

We'll soon see who the big team is by the end of next season. Yam ****.:agree:

:flag::pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa:flag:
:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

DC_Hibs
02-02-2012, 10:06 AM
I read it early this morning and thought it was a fair summary of our current position.

Hibs07p
02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Instead of the banner headline reading,

Hibs’ desperation laid bare as army of quick-fix recruits man barricades

It could easily have read

Hibs boss clears out the deadwood and prepares to climb the table.

and being positive about the task facing Hibs, being fully understood by Pat Fenlon.

Very negative spin on the transfers IMO.

GGTTH

Craig_in_Prague
02-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Have not read the article, but 'desperate' is not really accurate IMO; It's a TRANSFER window where a NEW MANAGER would want to sign his OWN players - as much as possible; PF has been allowed to do that.
Sure, the league position and RUBBISH he was left with, forced his arm to sign more than he'd want.....but let people poke a stick at Hibs, that is fine - But to see 'Desperate' ...See the other side of the city.

Hibs are a club that really can prosper and under Fenlon I feel that finally, we're on the road to stability and strength to strength... and with a tad luck, success.

PatHead
02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Last week on a thread I was commenting on how there is always a negative spin put on anything Hibs in the press. Yes, we have brought a lot on ourselves through the past couple of years and have to accept some of the press accordingly. But when a positive day occurs though with more signing/departures on one day than the Old Firm, Hearts, Dundee Utd and Motherwell put together managed in the entire transfer window you would think they could cut us some slack.

We need a strong PR Man who takes no prisoners and helps sell the club in a positive light. This would benefit both Hibs and scottish football in general.

J-C
02-02-2012, 10:55 AM
TBH 3-4 are short term fixes, hence the loans but PF cannot attempt to rebuild this dire squad in the January window. CC had to do this last year also and for a short period it worked, unfortunately his summer buys were atrocious or non existant. Until we get a manager (hopefully PF) who can build a decent squad capable of competing in this league, then it'll always be quick fixes.

--------
02-02-2012, 11:03 AM

I'm sorry, Jim, but I think Patullo's article constitutes fair comment and hits the mark. There have been posts on this forum celebrating the 'fact' that 'Hibs have finally turned the corner' thanks to the deals of the last few days - serious cases of premature self-congratulation if ever I saw them. Posts suggesting that it wass time for the critics of Farmer, Petrie and Board to 'eat humble pie' because Fenlon has been allowed to bring in these players to strengthen the squad - even if many or most of them will be leaving at the end of the season?

Transfer windows at ER for five years now have seen large numbers of players leaving and large numbers of players coming in, while the team slowly sinks down the SPL table towards relegation - which still remains a real possibility THIS season if the players Fenlon has signed don't gel into a team VERY quickly. And each year at the AGM, the board talks about the 'need for stability' - right after parting with yet another manager 'by mutual consent'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last 12 months have followed that pattern exactly.

Reality - based on this season's form and league placings - suggests that our Scottish Cup run will end sometime just after 4.45pm on Saturday, after which we'll only have the struggle to avoid the drop to occupy our minds for the rest of the season. Desperation? Yup, I'd say so.

Paddy has brought in nearly an entire outfield on deals and agreements the longest of which lasts until the end of next season. The reason, as I understand it, is because right now we HAVE to avoid the drop into the SFL before he can begin to rebuild on a more permanent basis. Unless I'm mistaken, that line has also become part of the annual Hibernian January pep-talk.

But the truth is that all PF's signings are short-term fixes till May next year at longest.

And whether he'll receive the same finance and backing from Messrs Farmer and Petrie after May - supposing we're still in the SPL - remains to be seen; my suspicion is that, crisis over, they'll revert to their default position of complacent torpor.

This year is my 51st as a Hibee, and all those years tell me that once again there are serious, deep-rooted problems at ER, problesm that won't be solved by signing a few players and having a wee Cup run. The atmosphere, the attitude and the ethos around ER fill me with unease. There's a bad smell about the place, Jim, and that smell is becoming overpowering.

IMO Alan Patullo's article at least addresses the concerns of many of us who won't be appeased by a few short-term signings by the manager and fair words from the Chairman/CEO or whatever Petrie's calling himself these days. As long as I've followed football I've followed Hibs. They're my team. But in half a century I can count on two fingers the number of chairmen and owners I would let over my doorstep in the long term.

The only way to keep the owners and bosses honest is to keep after them 24/7/52, and do not trust them even the millionth part of a cubic millimeter.

Doddie's Rule 13 - keep your back to the wall, because the one thing you canbe sure of with owners and bosses is that sooner or later they'll always try to screw you.

Carheenlea
02-02-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm sorry, Jim, but I think Patullo's article constitutes fair comment and hits the mark. There have been posts on this forum celebrating the 'fact' that 'Hibs have finally turned the corner' thanks to the deals of the last few days - serious cases of premature self-congratulation if ever I saw them. Posts suggesting that it wass time for the critics of Farmer, Petrie and Board to 'eat humble pie' because Fenlon has been allowed to bring in these players to strengthen the squad - even if many or most of them will be leaving at the end of the season?

Transfer windows at ER for five years now have seen large numbers of players leaving and large numbers of players coming in, while the team slowly sinks down the SPL table towards relegation - which still remains a real possibility THIS season if the players Fenlon has signed don't gel into a team VERY quickly. And each year at the AGM, the board talks about the 'need for stability' - right after parting with yet another manager 'by mutual consent'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last 12 months have followed that pattern exactly.

Reality - based on this season's form and league placings - suggests that our Scottish Cup run will end sometime just after 4.45pm on Saturday, after which we'll only have the struggle to avoid the drop to occupy our minds for the rest of the season. Desperation? Yup, I'd say so.

Paddy has brought in nearly an entire outfield on deals and agreements the longest of which lasts until the end of next season. The reason, as I understand it, is because right now we HAVE to avoid the drop into the SFL before he can begin to rebuild on a more permanent basis. Unless I'm mistaken, that line has also become part of the annual Hibernian January pep-talk.

But the truth is that all PF's signings are short-term fixes till May next year at longest.

And whether he'll receive the same finance and backing from Messrs Farmer and Petrie after May - supposing we're still in the SPL - remains to be seen; my suspicion is that, crisis over, they'll revert to their default position of complacent torpor.

This year is my 51st as a Hibee, and all those years tell me that once again there are serious, deep-rooted problems at ER, problesm that won't be solved by signing a few players and having a wee Cup run. The atmosphere, the attitude and the ethos around ER fill me with unease. There's a bad smell about the place, Jim, and that smell is becoming overpowering.

IMO Alan Patullo's article at least addresses the concerns of many of us who won't be appeased by a few short-term signings by the manager and fair words from the Chairman/CEO or whatever Petrie's calling himself these days. As long as I've followed football I've followed Hibs. They're my team. But in half a century I can count on two fingers the number of chairmen and owners I would let over my doorstep in the long term.

The only way to keep the owners and bosses honest is to keep after them 24/7/52, and do not trust them even the millionth part of a cubic millimeter.

Doddie's Rule 13 - keep your back to the wall, because the one thing you canbe sure of with owners and bosses is that sooner or later they'll always try to screw you.

Cheer up FFS.

--------
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Cheer up FFS.

Why?

I'm not Pollyanna. I'm EEYORE. :devil:

But that don't mean I'm wrong.

RIP
02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks Doddie - I'm also in my 51st year although my first game (a Derby) was age 4 :greengrin

I feel that although it is long overdue, older supporters like us are increasing our demands for a more convincing football strategy than the revolving door approach favoured by the current board. As people our management are bright, charming, genuine, hard working people. But their results stink and four years of transfer windows later they are falling miles further back from constructing a team we can all identify with as Hibs.

They appear to be a one-trick pony. "Hire a new first team coach and give him carte blanche to sack and recruit as many players as he wants" That appears to be their sole strategy. It's an approach that is dragging us into a deeper and deeper hole that even our former players, previous journalist admirers and supporters worry that we may not climb out of.

I hope Fenlon has a rabbit in his hat cos otherwise this board will have steered us from the CIS Cup Final into the First Division. Not Collins, Not Paatelainen, Not Hughes, Not Calderwood, Not Fenlon. Just the Board

GGTTH :flag:

Dashing Bob S
02-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Stop the moaning! We are in trouble because we have crap players, particularly in the midfield and defense, who keep losing us games. Now we've went out and rectified that problem with the short-term goal of avoiding relegation.

I see nothing wrong whatsoever in this behavior.

i understand how conditioned to decline we've become over the last five years, and abject failure for the past two, but we've hit our rock bottom and are on the way up.

Andy74
02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Meanwhile Barry Anderson produces another article straight out of the Vlad PR machine.

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/other-sport/hearts_can_still_get_third_after_keeping_squad_int act_1_2092802

Not so much the headline more the Vlad loving within!

JimBHibees
02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Meanwhile Barry Anderson produces another article straight out of the Vlad PR machine.

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/other-sport/hearts_can_still_get_third_after_keeping_squad_int act_1_2092802

Yep right out of Pravda, the talisman Skacel was his deal not only to the end of the season. :confused: Vlad not blinking over the negotiating table, delivering his promises to the faithful, dear oh dear. Hospitality to the press is obviously good at Tynie. :greengrin

KeithTheHibby
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Personally couldn't give a flying what any journo has to say about our activity during the window.

The big plus for me was that PF was only at the club a short time yet managed to identify the problem areas within the team and has brought in players to fill these positions.

Now of course there is no guarantee that these players will bring around an upturn in form but we have to hope this is the case.

I am not too disappointed in loan moves, who is to say that these deals cannot be made permanent come the end of the season if all works out?

Look what happened to the players brought in last year on contracts? Majority have been punted before the end of their deals at the cost of the club so perhaps loan moves are not a bad idea.

It will take a while for these new players to settle in to the club but you have to be optimistic and hope that we can pull clear of Dunfermline and start to look above. Top six? Doubtful but not impossible.

PF has the biggest job at ER since McLeish took over however I have total faith in him to turn our club around despite inheriting a total mess that CC left the club in -far worse than any other manager in recent years apart from Jim Duffy.

In Pat we trust.GGTTH.

KeithTheHibby
02-02-2012, 01:28 PM

Complete fanny of a journalist.

Phil D. Rolls
02-02-2012, 01:44 PM

There's just no telling them, they're doomed, doomed ah tell ye!

Mikey
02-02-2012, 01:53 PM
The article isn't disappointing, it's to be expected.

What's disappointing is the number of Hibs fans who are more than happy to agree with him.

Beefster
02-02-2012, 02:05 PM
The article isn't disappointing, it's to be expected.

What's disappointing is the number of Hibs fans who are more than happy to agree with him.

Which bits do you particularly disagree with?

blackpoolhibs
02-02-2012, 02:07 PM
We can mump and moan about how we should have done this, and shouldn't have done that. Petrie should go or Petrie should stay, none of it makes the slightest bit of difference at this minute in time.

What in my opinion we should be doing, is trying our hardest to create a good feeling about the club, trying to create some positivity.

We all saw for ourselves just how that worked only a couple of weeks ago at Dunfermline, perhaps if we laid off the negativity for a bit, and tried to get behind everyone at the club at least until we are safe, then folk could have their say about the future.

Maybe then we will have a better chance of getting out this mess? :aok:

Mikey
02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
We can mump and moan about how we should have done this, and shouldn't have done that. Petrie should go or Petrie should stay, none of it makes the slightest bit of difference at this minute in time.

What in my opinion we should be doing, is trying our hardest to create a good feeling about the club, trying to create some positivity.

We all saw for ourselves just how that worked only a couple of weeks ago at Dunfermline, perhaps if we laid off the negativity for a bit, and tried to get behind everyone at the club at least until we are safe, then folk could have their say about the future.

:top marks

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 02:17 PM

That didnt stop you or I to that point moaning about CC, it seems now the situation suits yourself it is time for a rallying call as you feel more positive about PF than about CC. I feel more positive too but this place is to express those views regardless and BH you have certainly complained about things when it won't do any good. As long as positivity at matches then good.

I will say what I think right be it positive or not, I have faith in PF as it happens but our complaints last year made no difference at that moment in time either.

blackpoolhibs
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
That didnt stop you or I to that point moaning about CC, it seems now the situation suits yourself it is time for a rallying call as you feel more positive about PF than about CC. I feel more positive too but this place is to express those views regardless and BH you have certainly complained about things when it won't do any good. As long as positivity at matches then good.

I will say what I think right be it positive or not, I have faith in PF as it happens but our complaints last year made no difference at that moment in time either.

I agree, nobody likes a moan more than i do. I do feel though and yes i am partly to blame, we are in real trouble, and its time to put those thoughts to one side for the moment, and have everyone pulling in the same direction.

I dont think there's any doubt the negativity on here and other message boards is transfered to the stands, and that is then felt by the players and management. We are failing as supporters if we dont do everything in our power to help the team in its hour of need.

I remember the last time we went down, we all got behind the team and turned up in huge numbers, perhaps if we do it now, early enough and get behind the club, we wont go down this time.

We just might get something going with the support, we might just start enjoying our visits to easter road and results might improve?

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
I agree, nobody likes a moan more than i do. I do feel though and yes i am partly to blame, we are in real trouble, and its time to put those thoughts to one side for the moment, and have everyone pulling in the same direction.

I dont think there's any doubt the negativity on here and other message boards is transfered to the stands, and that is then felt by the players and management. We are failing as supporters if we dont do everything in our power to help the team in its hour of need.

I remember the last time we went down, we all got behind the team and turned up in huge numbers, perhaps if we do it now, early enough and get behind the club, we wont go down this time.

We just might get something going with the support, we might just start enjoying our visits to easter road and results might improve?

BH how often where we told this last season by people? CC will turn it get behind team etc, and what did we do? told them we are behind team but this guys a clown and it is going to end badly so you know exactly where I am coming from.

However it may not be apparent from all my posts but I am far more positive about things with Fenlon than CC even though we are in more danger. I back Fenlon 100% and I have only ever been positive and hopeful about Fenlon, it is his bosses I gave bother with, I am just not one to chuck praise about until it is earned and I find the board praising for simply doing job ridiculous.

Yes we need to pull together but if somebody says something I disagree with I will say. I just hope things work out now they need to.

WindyMiller
02-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Will they be allowed to play in Europe?
According to an article on the Huns position, in to-day's Herald, signed off accounts have to be presented to the SFA before a club can be entered for Europe.

:dunno:

blackpoolhibs
02-02-2012, 03:01 PM
BH how often where we told this last season by people? CC will turn it get behind team etc, and what did we do? told them we are behind team but this guys a clown and it is going to end badly so you know exactly where I am coming from.

However it may not be apparent from all my posts but I am far more positive about things with Fenlon than CC even though we are in more danger. I back Fenlon 100% and I have only ever been positive and hopeful about Fenlon, it is his bosses I gave bother with, I am just not one to chuck praise about until it is earned and I find the board praising for simply doing job ridiculous.

Yes we need to pull together but if somebody says something I disagree with I will say. I just hope things work out now they need to.

I agree virtually 100% with what you say, where i differ AT THIS MOMENT, is we are in a real mess, we are in deep deep trouble. Sometimes you just have to bite your lip, and keep what you really think under your hat.

This is that time in my opinion. The negativity has made its way through to the team, there's no doubting that. We as a support need to address that problem, and if it means forgetting about whats gone on in the past for a bit, then so be it in my opinion.

Its the next 4 months thats important for me, not whats gone on previously. The time to asses that is at the end of this season, and rightly too. Talking about how badly Petrie has done is not helping, and distracting from what our aims are now.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
I agree virtually 100% with what you say, where i differ AT THIS MOMENT, is we are in a real mess, we are in deep deep trouble. Sometimes you just have to bite your lip, and keep what you really think under your hat.

This is that time in my opinion. The negativity has made its way through to the team, there's no doubting that. We as a support need to address that problem, and if it means forgetting about whats gone on in the past for a bit, then so be it in my opinion.

Its the next 4 months thats important for me, not whats gone on previously. The time to asses that is at the end of this season, and rightly too. Talking about how badly Petrie has done is not helping, and distracting from what our aims are now.

I disagree BH that negativity on here has filtered to pitch to be honest, folk whom moan about Petrie what me and what a few others equalled out by those whom disagree. The players get to many excuses to hide their inability, Hibs are mess due to bad players with bad managers nowt on here. I agree time to be posiyive but I will respond on here to things I do not agree with.

I try to stick to positive but some posts go up I disagree with, I am one whom is seen as negative but I am careful on what threads I start, I wouldnt just start one moaning at board but I will come in on one if I disagree on something.

JimBHibees
02-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I disagree BH that negativity on here has filtered to pitch to be honest, folk whom moan about Petrie what me and what a few others equalled out by those whom disagree. The players get to many excuses to hide their inability, Hibs are mess due to bad players with bad managers nowt on here. I agree time to be posiyive but I will respond on here to things I do not agree with.

I try to stick to positive but some posts go up I disagree with, I am one whom is seen as negative but I am careful on what threads I start, I wouldnt just start one moaning at board but I will come in on one if I disagree on something.

Really I heard the Samaritans put the phone down on you. :greengrin

marinello59
02-02-2012, 03:37 PM

Where? :confused: Any positive thread attracts you like a moth to a flame where you just repeat the same negative points you have made on countless other threads. BH is right, it is time to stick together and back the team for the time being. The endless whining IS corrosive and destroys morale. It certainly makes reading many of the threads on here a chore rather than a pleasure. Debate is good, constantly picking at the same scab isn't.

bawheid
02-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Patullo's a decent journo IMO. He's a Dundee fan IIRC with no particular axe to grind with Hibs. In fact I remember many articles written by him when Mowbray was in charge which were gushing in their praise for us.

Face it, we've been pretty pish for a long time. We're now in grave danger of relegation. It's a story and the media are going to write it, just like they did when we were blitzing everyone.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Where? :confused: Any positive thread attracts you like a moth to a flame where you just repeat the same negative points you have made on countless other threads. BH is right, it is time to stick together and back the team for the time being. The endless whining IS corrosive and destroys morale. It certainly makes reading many of the threads on here a chore rather than a pleasure. Debate is good, constantly picking at the same scab isn't.

Agree to disagree then as I have noticed there are never a lot of positive threads on here if being honest, all my points are in context to those threads. Been positive about PF in lots of threads however there never seem to be that many positive threads started IMO. So what pleasure where you looking for on this thread that is certainly not positive by name? What joys did you expect to find in here? Maybe sticking together might involve not moaning at folk posting on here, I assume thats ok as you think valid?

I have taken part in this thread not started it and actually have only really good things to say of PF, however have a dig and just pick out the stuff that suits.

Mikey
02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
:tub4:

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Really I heard the Samaritans put the phone down on you. :greengrin

Not at all they actually had to phone themselves after it.

Baldy Foghorn
02-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Desperation?? I would say PF knows what he wants, and the players let go, did not fill the bill for one reason or another....

Really looking forward to having a steadfast team under his stewardship. good times just around the corner.....

Green_one
02-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Yes we are desperate. Desperate to stay up.

How can any journo say what Fenlon has done is wrong. Yes, he does not have confidence in some of the players at the club. The league position shows why and he has released several, a pretty good sign!!! That does not make bringing new players in wrong. At worse new blood gives a bit of a boost. QPR and many others have done the same.

I am certain some of these signings will help Hibs move away from Dunfermline and higher up the league. Job done. Building starts for real in the summer.

The real desperate guys are Hearts. They needed desperately to get rid of many players. Did they do so - NO. Did they actually extend the contracts of some? Unbelievably YES. So in pointing out they still have much of their squad in place it actually shows they are even more in financial trouble than they were 2 months ago. They are stuck with these guys , many of whom are just sitting around until summer. What a great position. Oh oh they MIGHT get third place. Big deal. They are going nowhere fast.

Hibs have a player problem they need to address and part addresed it. Good. Hearts had a problem and have made it worse. Also good. :devil:

Eyrie
02-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I would have no issue with reading a discussion of our transfer activity that ended with a conclusion that the large number of moves was desperate and had no guarantees of keeping us up. Instead what we got was a hatchet job, overtly negative from start to finish.

DCI Gene Hunt
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Had a quick peek at the article myself. Seemed to be quite a negative piece of journalism, although it did address the key points.

"Desperation" would be better worded as "Good manager understanding what's going on and trying to get it sorted out", but to be honest I don't really pay attention to what journalists, talkiung heads or anyone else has to say really. We are in a difficult position right now and our manager is doing his best to get us out of it.

Not exactly sure how that can be a bad thing, there again, if the journalist is a bit of a Yam... :rolleyes:

Gene

Dashing Bob S
02-02-2012, 08:40 PM

I agree, it's a practically new team anyway, so what's to be gained, other than undermining them, by slagging them off for what are essentially other people's errors?

It seems like the pass marks guys; Stack, Brown, Osbourne, Griffith and O'Connor will continue to figure, while jury's out guys like Booth, Spoony etc might get to play in position and to their strengths, while bombscares have either left or unlikely to see much action.

No real sense in being negative at all right now.

monktonharp
02-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Instead of the banner headline reading,

Hibs’ desperation laid bare as army of quick-fix recruits man barricades

It could easily have read

Hibs boss clears out the deadwood and prepares to climb the table.

and being positive about the task facing Hibs, being fully understood by Pat Fenlon.

Very negative spin on the transfers IMO.

GGTTH:agree:I've not read it but fully agree with your slant on things. the gadgie is clearly anti-Hibs:wink:but;Paddy Fenlon seems like he knows what he's upto, and I fully back his actions. he's emptied maist o' the dross imho and has exited the vast majority of Hibernian fans with the people brought in "in a mad rush".they may take a few games to knit together, and I know we only have about 14 left to secure points, but I now expect a decent turn around for at least the last 10 games of the season. If we get a result on Saturday against the LC finalists, we've won a gunmetal watch!

Jim44
03-02-2012, 07:39 AM
As the OP of this thread which has attracted both agreement and disagreement, I think it's only fair to mention the sensible follow on article by Stuart Bathgate of all people. While reading it I waited for the anti hibs, Jambo bias but it isn't there. Credit where credit's due.

spike220
03-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Apparently anyone who has commented on the 'Saturdays Team' thread is a fool.:rolleyes:

PATTULLO writes "One Hibs fans’ website yesterday invited readers to try to guess the starting XI for this Saturday’s Scottish Cup clash with Kilmarnock, a fool’s errand if ever there was one".

Is this the most infamous hibs net thread ever????

GGTTH

Hibrandenburg
03-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Dr Fenlon has proved he can make a diagnosis and his precision surgery seems to have removed the tumor. The only question remaining is will his prescribed medication take effect and complete the recovery?

The patient is still in a critical condition but I'm sure they'll make a full recovery in time.

Meanwhile on the private patients wards Dr Sergio who is an expert in his field has failed to carry out the required surgery on time and has can't start medicational therapy due to outstanding BUPA payments not being made.

GIRUY you Hearts *******s.

Cropley10
03-02-2012, 12:10 PM

Funnily enough a mate called me last night to say he's coming with his laddie tomorrow and wanted to share transport.

Right now, you're right BH, there's nothing to be negative about.

[But if I see SO'H &/pr Sproule in the starting line-up :grr:]