PDA

View Full Version : Squad rotation or settled team?

RIP
02-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Interesting article on Newcastle

http://stateofthegame.co.uk/2011/11/05/can-newcastles-settled-side-prosper-in-the-squad-rotation-era/

Famous Five anyone? Turnbulls Tornadoes. The McLeish Era

Is it any coincidence that the best sides in Hibernian and possibly football history were settled teams with players played in the right positions, good understanding between them and sound tactical systems. Even under Mowbray and Collins we had Whittaker, Murphy, Hogg and Jones which despite some bizarre goalkeeping were the best defence outwith the Old Firm.

So what would be your approach? Squad rotation or a settled team? And if it is the latter, how soon do you think we will see that come to fruition?

Judas Iscariot
02-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Easy! Settled, no other option!

The rest of the squad just arent good enough hence the 8 or 9 players in this month..

The Galbraith's, Stevenson's, O'Hanlons, Towell's etc will really struggle to feature in a starting 11 now, well i'd hope the players PF has brought in will be the cause of that!

PeeJay
02-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Interesting article on Newcastle

http://stateofthegame.co.uk/2011/11/05/can-newcastles-settled-side-prosper-in-the-squad-rotation-era/

Famous Five anyone? Turnbulls Tornadoes. The McLeish Era

Is it any coincidence that the best sides in Hibernian and possibly football history were settled teams with players played in the right positions, good understanding between them and sound tactical systems. Even under Mowbray and Collins we had Whittaker, Murphy, Hogg and Jones which despite some bizarre goalkeeping were the best defence outwith the Old Firm.

So what would be your approach? Squad rotation or a settled team? And if it is the latter, how soon do you think we will see that come to fruition?

Yeah, but when your "settled team" starts picking up injuries or suspensions you need players to slot in without any great disruption to team cohesion - so I think squad rotation may help a team to get through this situation when it arises? The TTs suffered when players such as Edwards or Brownlie were no longer available to play...

horseflesh
02-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Rotate with what? The new signings can only be an improvemnt on what we had but we still have to include a few of the trumpets that got us in this mess!

s.a.m
02-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Yeah, but when your "settled team" starts picking up injuries or suspensions you need players to slot in without any great disruption to team cohesion - so I think squad rotation may help a team to get through this situation when it arises? The TTs suffered when players such as Edwards or Brownlie were no longer available to play...

I can see that that makes sense.......However, I wonder if inflicting instability on a team, so that they are able to cope with injuries / suspensions, just makes them rubbish all the time instead of only when they are struggling with absences? I suppose for the best players this will be less important -- they might flourish with particular players beside them, with whom they have an understanding, but they'll cope well enough anyway because of their superior ability. However, for limited players, I think the balance is probably the other way.

I think the lack of a reserve league creates problems with keeping players match fit and involved, and I can see that there is probably a greater neeed to play more of your players on matchday because they would otherwise not be getting proper games.

PeeJay
02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
I can see that that makes sense.......However, I wonder if inflicting instability on a team, so that they are able to cope with injuries / suspensions, just makes them rubbish all the time instead of only when they are struggling with absences? I suppose for the best players this will be less important -- they might flourish with particular players beside them, with whom they have an understanding, but they'll cope well enough anyway because of their superior ability. However, for limited players, I think the balance is probably the other way.

I think the lack of a reserve league creates problems with keeping players match fit and involved, and I can see that there is probably a greater neeed to play more of your players on matchday because they would otherwise not be getting proper games.

Yeah, I guess it comes down to finding a balance then - having a settled team with guys in the squad that can slip in as and when needed... had to laugh out loud at your point about making them rubbish all the time ...:greengrin

Good point about the reserve league!

snooky
02-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I guess it comes down to finding a balance then - having a settled team with guys in the squad that can slip in as and when needed... had to laugh out loud at your point about making them rubbish all the time ...:greengrin

Good point about the reserve league!

Always liked the idea of having a settled team with a 'Paul Madley' on the bench to cover most positions in case of injury or suspensions.
PM type players are worth their weight in gold. Nid was probably the closest we've had to that.

Baldy Foghorn
02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Easy! Settled, no other option!

The rest of the squad just arent good enough hence the 8 or 9 players in this month..

The Galbraith's, Stevenson's, O'Hanlons, Towell's etc will really struggle to feature in a starting 11 now, well i'd hope the players PF has brought in will be the cause of that!

Agree with this.......

beensaidbefore
02-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Rotate with what? The new signings can only be an improvemnt on what we had but we still have to include a few of the trumpets that got us in this mess!

But to be fair, the new signings with more experience might make for a more comfortable and inviting atmosphere to intoroduce youngsters, allowing them game time when the manager thinks it would be of benefit to their development. Rather than the last while, where young guys who're still learning their trade have been getting a bollocking from their own fans, and getting beat every week, neither of which will be good for confidence or development.

With some experienced playeres in, id hope the hanlons, galbraiths, and spoonys of this world can learn a lot of good habits and ambition from these guys, esp from the foreign boys who have played/trained in completely different ways as youngsters.

Scouse Hibee
02-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Need to get a settled team who can string together a run of results before we think about anything else IMO and I'm pretty certain that will be the only thing on Pat's mind till the end of the season. No time for rotation, new players need to play together and gel before it's too late.

Baldy Foghorn
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Need to get a settled team who can string together a run of results before we think about anything else IMO and I'm pretty certain that will be the only thing on Pat's mind till the end of the season. No time for rotation, new players need to play together and gel before it's too late.

:agree::agree::agree: