PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth gets Camerons backing.

Hibrandenburg
01-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Sky news is reporting that David Cameron will do all he can to save Portsmouth from liquidation.

Should politicians get involved in this kind of stuff or should they keep their noses out?

IMO they should stay well away as to come to one clubs aid would open Pandora's box.

Baader
01-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Don't ask for City of Edinburgh Council's take on this...

SanFranHibs
01-02-2012, 06:25 PM
And in election years of course !!

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
They should steer well clear. Whenever those slime bags do anything of this nature its for the most cynical of motives. It's also stupid politics as it sets a precedent. If clubs are mismanaged, let them go to the wall. It's the only way they learn.

Cue all Nationalists who defended Salmon about the Yam Quatar mission to come on crowing. Cue all the unionists who tore in Salmond to disappear.

neilmartinrocks
01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Sky news is reporting that David Cameron will do all he can to save Portsmouth from liquidation.

Should politicians get involved in this kind of stuff or should they keep their noses out?

IMO they should stay well away as to come to one clubs aid would open Pandora's box.

I thought CaMORON was more likely to be a chelski fan.
Why portsmouth?

HiBremian
01-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Cue "too big to fail" and equally obnoxious b******t.

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Bound for the Holy Ground, methinks, perhaps merged with Salmond thread and others of that ilk.

ancient hibee
01-02-2012, 06:45 PM
"Do all he can"-real politician speak.Won't get many votes in Southampton.

leither17
01-02-2012, 07:09 PM
I thought CaMORON was more likely to be a chelski fan.
Why portsmouth?

I think he is a villa fan but I don't know why I think that coule be mince it usually is with me

Eyrie
01-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Cameron is indeed a Villa fan.

And he shouldn't be getting involved in anything like this. As was stated in the "Salmond begs Qataris for cash" thread, there are plenty of other businesses out there struggling at this time and he'd be better improving conditions for them all rather than focussing on one company for political reasons.

Part/Time Supporter
01-02-2012, 09:57 PM
"Do all he can"-real politician speak.Won't get many votes in Southampton.

:agree:

In reality he will do bugger all, unless someone well placed asks him to make a phone call or make a suggestion in a meeting (as Salmond did wrt Hertz). Which is absolutely correct.

ScottB
01-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Would set a dangerous precedent, given the number of clubs teetering on the brink.

I suppose in this particularly case, Portsmouth are stuffed because their owner turned out to be a crook, so maybe that's why the sudden urge to help out, but still, football clubs should not get a drop of taxpayer cash to bail em out.

Can you imagine tax payers money being used to save Rangers, a club that will collapse due to debts accrued cheating the tax payer? Actually they probably would do that eh...

Dashing Bob S
02-02-2012, 12:12 AM
I think he is a villa fan but I don't know why I think that coule be mince it usually is with me

Cameron went to Eaton. He's a much a Villa fan as Blair is (or was) a Newcastle fan. I would seriously doubt that he has ever been to Birmingham, outside a stage managed photo opportunity, let alone Villa Park.

NOLA
02-02-2012, 12:43 AM
if politicians want to stick their beaks into football then fatty salmond should try and flog hertz to the Qatar royal family, oh wait a minute...

PeeJay
02-02-2012, 06:45 AM

Agree with you - but he was asked (by an MP) at PM's Question Time if he could look into the Portsmouth situation - he said OK... what else was he supposed to answer "No, I'm a Villa fan (or whatever) they can get to ....?":greengrin

Ozyhibby
02-02-2012, 06:53 AM
His uncle is a former Villa chairman I think but he admits to only a passing interest.

greenlex
02-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Agree with you - but he was asked (by an MP) at PM's Question Time if he could look into the Portsmouth situation - he said OK... what else was he supposed to answer "No, I'm a Villa fan (or whatever) they can get to ....?":greengrin
He should have just told him to GTF.

beensaidbefore
02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Would pepole give this a second thought if it was the farming or textiles industry that a MP/MSP was promoting in order to help avoid unemployment and the financial effects this?

If a politician can promote one type of business, surely they should be promoting all?

I think the real problem is with opposition fans who see it as some kind of favouritism, and admittedly my nose would be seriously out of joint if it was our ugly neighbours, but it can sometimes be a case of damned if you, do damned if you dont as far a politician are concerned.

Sylar
02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I'd like to see him leave Portsmouth alone to go to the sword.

They're there as a result of poor financial management and like all other businesses, should deal with the consequences of it.

Getting involved in this provides all clubs who live well outwith their business models (i.e. those who rely on the input from their respective sugar daddy's to maintain their otherwise unaffordable existence) a precedent to refer back to when their aforemention money floats get bored, die or for one reason or another, stop putting money into these clubs.

I long for the day these clubs die and footballing skill rather than obscene wage bills will dictate success again.