PDA

View Full Version : pat stanton on radio scotland

foxknowe
01-02-2012, 06:50 PM
First ever post so go easy lads,just heard pat on radio scotland saying a lot of the players at ER would not look out of place in Div1 and whatever happens PF needs to be given time and all our support.Thoughts...

carnoustiehibee
01-02-2012, 06:54 PM
It started at 6.10, came on now thinking there would be a thread,It's been a good listen.

PaulSmith
01-02-2012, 06:54 PM
First ever post so go easy lads,just heard pat on radio scotland saying a lot of the players at ER would not look out of place in Div1 and whatever happens PF needs to be given time and all our support.Thoughts...

He obviously still knows his stuff then.

Billy Whizz
01-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Welcome to Hibs.net. Listening to Pat just now

Pedantic_Hibee
01-02-2012, 06:55 PM

I'll gie you my thoughts. You're a Hearts ******* and I care little for your accusations.

13 months of sitting back and lurking and having been unable to get over the sheer bitterness of yesterday as you sat glum-faced staring at the telly whilst we were collectively ripping the f*****g heid aff it to the tune of Jim White, you finally decide to write and piss on our chips.

Beat it.

Pedantic_Hibee
01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
I reserve the right to delete that last post if he is actually a Hibby :aok:

Dashing Bob S

LTYF

No, joking, welcome and yes on both counts above.

Hibs90
I'll gie you my thoughts. You're a Hearts ******* and I care little for your accusations.

13 months of sitting back and lurking and having been unable to get over the sheer bitterness of yesterday as you sat glum-faced staring at the telly whilst we were collectively ripping the f*****g heid aff it to the tune of Jim White, you finally decide to write and piss on our chips.

Beat it.

:faf:

EDIT: Can I keep my post count like this forever?

Mikeystewart
01-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Beat it.

That's so good I thought you where being serious :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Beat it.

He might not have been a Yam before, but he probably is now! :faf::top marks

frazeHFC
01-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Beat it.

:hilarious

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I reserve the right to delete that last post if he is actually a Hibby :aok:

maybes you should point out to the op that, that is you going easy on him??

foxknowe
01-02-2012, 07:06 PM
you nearly got it right was a yam until i was 5,hibby big brother soon battered that out of me,being paying my hibby dues for the last 36 years

calumb
01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
He obviously still knows his stuff then.

Pat said much the same thing last year, even after the new january signings had won a couple of matches on the bounce he was predicting that they would eventually find there level, unfortunately he was right, hope he's wrong this time

Mikey
01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
you nearly got it right was a yam until i was 5,hibby big brother soon battered that out of me,being paying my hibby dues for the last 36 years

Don't listen to PH. He's a Jim White fancying, pie eating, fag smoking, irn bru drinking, Natalie Sawyer oggling heidcase :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
01-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Today's just a day of joy that's all, prompted by the wonder of yesterday. Today is not a day for negativity, at all.

I mean, to be honest with you, all of these lads we signed yesterday could be absolutely horrific at football but it didn't stop me from walking into work today like this.........

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/funny-gifs-like-a-czar.gif

Billy Whizz
01-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Anyway Pat didn't seem to rate Agogo judging by tonight's show

foxknowe
01-02-2012, 07:31 PM
nobody is being negative just quoting what a hibs legend said on a radio show,think he was relating more to aggogo hart etc.. and a few others still there.

Since90+2
01-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Anyway Pat didn't seem to rate Agogo judging by tonight's show

What did he say? Agogo was absolutely terrible , probably the worst of the bunch who left.

Billy Whizz
01-02-2012, 07:38 PM
What did he say? Agogo was absolutely terrible , probably the worst of the bunch who left.

They went through a few names who had left Hibs like Agogo.
At the end Pat said he disliked players who kissed the badge, mainly foreigners who had just arrived at ER. Chick said do you mean players like Agogo, Pat said he would probably miss the badge!!!

Since90+2
01-02-2012, 07:41 PM
At the end Pat said he disliked players who kissed the badge, mainly foreigners who had just arrived at ER. Chick said do you mean players like Agogo, Pat said he would probably miss the badge!!!

Haha :greengrin

neilmartinrocks
01-02-2012, 07:41 PM

Stil got a good eye then?

Brebners Bookie
01-02-2012, 07:55 PM
will i be able to listen to this again anywhere?

Billy Whizz
01-02-2012, 08:04 PM

You can pick it up as a 1/2 hour podcast from tomorrow

WhileTheChief..
01-02-2012, 08:09 PM

It will be on the Sportsound podcast .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot

Just checked, its available now.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Yam smell all over this thread LTYF :greengrin (just kidding)

smurf
01-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Great stuff from Pat. Legend.:not worth

PeeKay
01-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I was feeling really up all day after the events of yesterday/ last night, but Pat Stanton's largely negative analysis was depressing. Of course he was right in his criticism of those who are out the door, but he seemed to think that history would repeat itself and the new players would fade after the first few games.
Hope he is very wrong.

heretoday
01-02-2012, 08:51 PM
I was feeling really up all day after the events of yesterday/ last night, but Pat Stanton's largely negative analysis was depressing. Of course he was right in his criticism of those who are out the door, but he seemed to think that history would repeat itself and the new players would fade after the first few games.
Hope he is very wrong.

Well he wasn't much cop as a manager so I wouldn't trust his judgement entirely!

euro Hibby
01-02-2012, 09:03 PM
never heard what he said but might think he is just saying that its a gamble to add so many new players to a team and hope that it clicks quickly. It never worked for CC but he largley brought in dross so lets hope wee Pat has a better eye and some Irish luck to get us into a safer position in the league.
Regretably, we have gone backwards in the last few years when maybe with a little more vision we could have done better. Answer might not be just spending to spend...........Jambos know about that and where did it get them !!?

Cropley10
01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
The Rangers situation they discussed is brilliant btw!

One Day Soon
01-02-2012, 09:39 PM

My thoughts are that Pat Fenlon is a steely wee b45tard who isn't going to take any crap from his players and that you will need to be the same to survive on this board.

Other than that, welcome aboard you Yam Fud/Staunch Hibee.

foxknowe
01-02-2012, 09:51 PM
My thoughts are that Pat Fenlon is a steely wee b45tard who isn't going to take any crap from his players and that you will need to be the same to survive on this board.

Other than that, welcome aboard you Yam Fud/Staunch Hibee.

i can always survive being a smartarse with a keyboard seems a few get by on this forum that way

chrisski33
01-02-2012, 09:52 PM
nobody is being negative just quoting what a hibs legend said on a radio show,think he was relating more to aggogo hart etc.. and a few others still there.

The players he referrred to as not being out of place in div 1 were ones that have been released.

smurf
01-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Well he wasn't much cop as a manager so I wouldn't trust his judgement entirely!

Unfair. Do you know what kind of environment he was working in when manager? Did you listen to his interview tonight?

After the window we have every right to be enthused and excited. However, how much do any of us know about the additions? Will they gel quickly?

Pat was critical rightly of our players thus far. It was entirely justified.

Perhaps sense of perspective was just a timely reminder that we still have a hell of a lot to do.

R'Albin
01-02-2012, 09:55 PM

Beat it.

:faf: :thumbsup:

One Day Soon
01-02-2012, 09:59 PM
i can always survive being a smartarse with a keyboard seems a few get by on this forum that way

I think you're going to fit right in.......

foxknowe
01-02-2012, 10:05 PM
cheers
I think you're going to fit right in.......

cheers...

foxknowe
01-02-2012, 10:09 PM
The players he referrred to as not being out of place in div 1 were ones that have been released.

dont think ohanlon galbraith sproule even hanlon would look outof place either Pat never made it clear .

Stantons Angel
01-02-2012, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=smurf;3099497]Unfair. Do you know what kind of environment he was working in when manager? Did you listen to his interview tonight?

I agree with your quote as being unfair, Pat is a REAL legend and DOES know his stuff especially about the Hibs.

He should be listened to with respect and what he says should be taken on board by those at Easter Road! Sometimes i wonder if these "officials" at Easter Road realise how high in the supporters' esteem he is held?

He describes himself as " a wee laddie fae Niddrie" and that he may be, but he lived the dream and carried the mantle of Hibs proudly and never let them down.

I dont think he is being negative in his arguments but is erring on the side of caution, as he says we have done it all before last January. You only have to look at the state we are in now to understand why.

Ray_
01-02-2012, 11:03 PM

That's enough, find him a pair of boots!

Dr Jimmy
01-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Hope he is very wrong.

Having met Pat a few times at ER he appears to be (regrettably) falling into the "players are not as good as they were in my day" brigade.
Its only my opinion based on my experiences and I will get my tin hat on.

Ray_
01-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Well he wasn't much cop as a manager so I wouldn't trust his judgement entirely! Fergie didn't have a problem with his judgement!

smurf
01-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Having met Pat a few times at ER he appears to be (regrettably) falling into the "players are not as good as they were in my day" brigade.

I spoke to him for half an hour last week. Don't think he's like that at all but fair to say he wasn't overly impressed with much of our squad as it was then. And who could disagree with him?!!!

chrisski33
02-02-2012, 12:14 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/mobile/football/16847801

Hibs07p
02-02-2012, 07:34 AM

Anyone who has watched that dross over the last few years would find it difficult to argue that those "players were not as good as they were in 1997 - 1998", never mind King Paddy's era. It appears to be a dig at the great man, who is only stating the F***ing obvious.

GGTTH

Ray_
02-02-2012, 08:04 AM

If only, if that is what Pat was indicating, he is 100% right, if you ever wanted to find a classic case of boys against men, then this would be it.

PeeJay
02-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Maybe - just maybe - the fact he is one of the greatest Hibs players ever gives him the right to judge players currently wearing the green & white?

Your reference to him being a poor manager is on a par with the idiot on the podcast who kept mentioning that Pat played for Celtic...irrelevant! Stanton is the legend he is because of what he achieved as a Hibs player, and that alone entitles him to give worthwhile opinions on the current state of the club he supports, surely?

Dr Jimmy
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Anyone who has watched that dross over the last few years would find it difficult to argue that those "players were not as good as they were in 1997 - 1998", never mind King Paddy's era. It appears to be a dig at the great man, who is only stating the F***ing obvious.

GGTTH

Not a dig at all, just my observation, based an actually talking to him.
The point I am making is that we all know the players we have are not as good as they should be for a a club of our size and with our history, but there is no need for him to continually elude to this.

soupy
02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
The point I am making is that we all know the players we have are not as good as they should be for a a club of our size and with our history, but there is no need for him to continually elude to this.

If we know it, why do you have a problem with what he says?

Hibs07p
02-02-2012, 11:35 AM
The point I am making is that we all know the players we HAD are not as good as they should be for a a club of our size and with our history, but there is no need for him to continually elude to this.

I,ve corrected that for you. Being such a great friend of The King, it must be terrible having to sit in the company of Pat and continuously have to listen to the great man rabbiting on about the team of today being so ****. Hopefully it gets better, starting with the new recruits.

GGTTH

Baker9
02-02-2012, 12:00 PM
I was feeling really up all day after the events of yesterday/ last night, but Pat Stanton's largely negative analysis was depressing. Of course he was right in his criticism of those who are out the door, but he seemed to think that history would repeat itself and the new players would fade after the first few games. Hope he is very wrong.

Just listened to it and I didn't interpret it that way. He was realistic about some of the current lot being best suited to the Division 1 level. As for the new lot he said that they needed to hit the ground running as the end of the season will soon be upon us and everyone needs to support the effort. Nothing negative just realistic and fair. As a passionate fan he desperately wants it turned around, as a pundit he is spot on. Legend.

RIP
02-02-2012, 12:55 PM
When I was 15 I used to wonder at the stature and grace of Pat Stanton, a footbaling hero in anyones eyes.

Got my picture taken with him 3 years ago and was disappointed when he only came up to my shooders.

The last straw was seeing his other half trailing him roond the shops in Perth recently, carrying her shopping bags

Find it very hard to respect anything he says these days :greengrin

Dr Jimmy
02-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I,ve corrected that for you. Being such a great friend of The King, it must be terrible having to sit in the company of Pat and continuously have to listen to the great man rabbiting on about the team of today being so ****. Hopefully it gets better, starting with the new recruits.

GGTTH

**** me there a few sensitive little wall flowers out there....:rolleyes:

Franck Stanton
02-02-2012, 02:19 PM

Exactly my thoughts mate, true Pat was , arguably the best player ever to have worn the green, but as a manager, mmmmm well, lets be kind and say he just didn't cut it.

Hibs07p
02-02-2012, 07:45 PM
**** me there a few sensitive little wall flowers out there....:rolleyes:

F*** all sensitive about me. :wink:

Stantons Angel
02-02-2012, 09:01 PM
I really cant believe some of the rubbish that has generated from this post! A lot of you claim to be Hibs' supporters and "know your history" as the say.

How can any of you even think of Pat Stanton in the way you have written on this post? Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the state of things Hibernian especially him. He has never said that players in his day are better than now, some of you have interpreted this as what he is meaning. Its not what he said.!!!

When he was manager he had empty promises to build his team on not like recent managers who have been given the backing of the board and allowed to bring in their own players. He DIDN'T have that luxury. The man is true to himself so much so he felt he could do no more without backing and resigned!

How can any of you say he hasn't an eye for a player when you look at who he brought through for Hibs, Mickey Weir, Paul Kane, John Collins to name a few!!!

Get a grip!!!!

AlbertK86
02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I really cant believe some of the rubbish that has generated from this post! A lot of you claim to be Hibs' supporters and "know your history" as the say.

How can any of you even think of Pat Stanton in the way you have written on this post? Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the state of things Hibernian especially him. He has never said that players in his day are better than now, some of you have interpreted this as what he is meaning. Its not what he said.!!!

When he was manager he had empty promises to build his team on not like recent managers who have been given the backing of the board and allowed to bring in their own players. He DIDN'T have that luxury. The man is true to himself so much so he felt he could do no more without backing and resigned!

How can any of you say he hasn't an eye for a player when you look at who he brought through for Hibs, Mickey Weir, Paul Kane, John Collins to name a few!!!

Get a grip!!!!

Great post Just listened to the podcast. The man told it as it was and is thee greatest Hibee of all time.

Eaststand
02-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Great post Just listened to the podcast. The man told it as it was and is thee greatest Hibee of all time.

Agree with that 100% :top marks
Paddy Stanton is a true Hibs legend and as such, is above any sniping or critics examining between the lines of what he says...if Pat talks about Hibs, I reckon we should all listen to the great man

GGTTH

neilmartinrocks
02-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Agree with that 100% :top marks
Paddy Stanton is a true Hibs legend and as such, is above any sniping or critics examining between the lines of what he says...if Pat talks about Hibs, I reckon we should all listen to the great man

GGTTH

Get a grip!!!!
I believe i did.

smurf
02-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Exactly my thoughts mate, true Pat was , arguably the best player ever to have worn the green, but as a manager, mmmmm well, lets be kind and say he just didn't cut it.

I was 11 when he resigned. It was shocking how he squandered the legacy he inherited and the resources given wasn't it....

**screams out in despair**

Kato
02-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I was 11 when he resigned. It was shocking how he squandered the legacy he inherited and the resources given wasn't it....

Is this serious? If so can you expand a bit please?

When I was 11 it was 1972 and Pat Stanton was God Incarnate. His mother's house in Niddrie Marischal was a shrine to a living diety.

whiskyhibby
02-02-2012, 10:09 PM

**screams out in despair**

Are you on drugs or something.....,.,,,

Jonnyboy
02-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Is this serious? If so can you expand a bit please?

When I was 11 it was 1972 and Pat Stanton was God Incarnate. His mother's house in Niddrie Marischal was a shrine to a living diety.

Are you on drugs or something.....,.,,,

Not serious guys, just a heavy dose of sarcasm after reading the post he quoted :wink:

smurf
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Not serious guys, just a heavy dose of sarcasm after reading the post he quoted :wink:

Thank you.

Often forgotten by some is that Pat resigned some time before he eventually went. Though persuaded to change his mind. So frustrated was he at the pittance he had in terms of resources....

yekimevol
02-02-2012, 11:13 PM
anyone got a link or that for this interview ?

Stonewall
03-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Thank you.

Often forgotten by some is that Pat resigned some time before he eventually went. Though persuaded to change his mind. So frustrated was he at the pittance he had in terms of resources....

That's right: he had a nearly impossible job with a very poor team at a time when it was common for us to get crowds of 5,000. The only positive was that he was instrumental in bringing a good crop of youngsters through the ranks. The likes of Kano, Mickey Weir, JC etc heralded the start of an upturn in our fortunes.

patlowe
03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
anyone got a link or that for this interview ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot

He's on Wednesday's show.