PDA

View Full Version : Will Dunfermline be happy if relegated ?

Seveno
01-02-2012, 04:47 PM
I was chatting to a Pars supporting mate this morning. Well actually I was rubbing it in over our new signings and telling him that they were stuffed.

His view was they wil be happy to get relegated as they can't afford to stay up paying SPL wages with gates of 3,000. He reckons that they were better off in the First Division. I can believe Yorkston thinking this way.

Anyway, we are going to pull clear of relegation with our new team but thought I'd mention it.

greenlex
01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Yorkstons already said as much.

R'Albin
01-02-2012, 04:55 PM
What's the point in playing football if you don't want to play at the highest levevl you can :confused:

Andy74
01-02-2012, 04:57 PM
What's the point in playing football if you don't want to play at the highest levevl you can :confused:

They also need to keep the club running though.

As they see it, to compete in the SPL they need to pay a certain level of wage and that is not being covered by attendances.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Strange way to look at it, as they seem to be bigger or at least as big as St Johnstone who are doing well. I would have put St Mirren in the same pot.

Billy Whizz
01-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Would like them to stay up but not at our expense. Can't see Inverness falling away.
Nice little home game for Hibs at East end park

Jim44
01-02-2012, 05:19 PM
They might say they're happy to be relegated but that's a cop out just in case it happens. I bet they're really desperate to stay up so I hope we don't get complacent. Fenlon's top priority is to make sure we keep our noses in front of them.

Phil D. Rolls
01-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Think they are saying the highest level they can play at is D1. Sad indictment of how the OF duopoly has stifled competition in our game, and another reason why they should be cut free to find a league that wants them.

frazeHFC
01-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Surely it would be better to stay up, cut the wages and then try to avoid it next year. That way the TV money will still come through and prize money will be higher. Or will an extra thousand or so each game still cover that?

coco22
01-02-2012, 05:25 PM
the 'convenience and sustainability of relegation will not affect the desire to stay up from the players on the park. kyle hutton not a bad addition for them last night too. we are still locked in tight battle no matter what.

Zondervan
01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I was chatting to a Pars supporting mate this morning. Well actually I was rubbing it in over our new signings and telling him that they were stuffed.

His view was they wil be happy to get relegated as they can't afford to stay up paying SPL wages with gates of 3,000. He reckons that they were better off in the First Division. I can believe Yorkston thinking this way.

Anyway, we are going to pull clear of relegation with our new team but thought I'd mention it.

I hope you are right, and that this post doesn't come back and haunt you come May. Just a wee bit over-confident in my opinion.

From what I have seen, there is not a lot of difference between us and The Pars. We need to hope our new signings prove to be the difference.

basehibby
01-02-2012, 05:31 PM
They also need to keep the club running though.

As they see it, to compete in the SPL they need to pay a certain level of wage and that is not being covered by attendances.

Presumably the share of TV cash, sponsorship etc. they're getting is not significant enough to bridge the gap either - SPL execs take note!

bigwheel
01-02-2012, 05:39 PM
No chance - they will be gutted! And they will fight all the way. Two decent young loans yesterday - they are giving it their best shot...

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2012, 05:41 PM
They're going to have to be happy about it, cause that's where they are heading.

SanFranHibs
01-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Thought it might be so they don't feel so guilty supporting Rangers :wink:

Not sure how many Old and Infirm fans still travel every weekend from Fife, Midlothian, The Borders, Aberdeen, Inverness etc, but even 500 at 20 a game over 20 games a year is 200,000. Not saying 500 Dunfermline 'fans' travel to Glasgow each weekend but we all know how many used to travel from all over Scotland.

Important for Hibs to get moving forward again. Even an average of 3,000 more at home games at 20 quid a ticket over say 20 home games is 1.2 million a season. Basic arithmetic I know but shows you how fine the line is between operating in the black (Still allowed to use this term?) and sinking into the red !!

That said, I feel we have on paper had a good January regarding personnel and am optimistic that we can shore up our defence somewhat which should allow us firstly to avoid the drop and secondly build a stronger base for next season !!

As someone said yesterday, it's glass half full !!!!

:flag:

oxymoron
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM

They're no the first, and I daresay no the last, to know their level and feel better off there. I recall talking to an ex-jambo who was amongst a few who played against us in that play-off with Airdrie many moons ago, saying that some of the old-yins (ex-jambos) were concerned that promotion would mean them being emptied. Staying where they were guaranteed a few more years worth of contracts at a manageable level. Had no reason to doubt this happened then and would again.

Hibernia Na Eir
02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Yorkston is an er@se!

Hibernia Na Eir
02-02-2012, 11:49 AM
what hope for Ross cty?!!!

silverhibee
02-02-2012, 11:55 AM
what hope for Ross cty?!!!

Will they even be allowed in to the SPL.

Gatecrasher
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
I was of the understanding that they could not afford to survive in the SPL as in have enough funds in place to create a team capable of SPL survival without spending beyond the clubs means rather than just survivng in the SPL. Dunfermline are pish poor but so are we. But we have at least pushed a bit further for SPL survival during the window They cant really afford to do that.

Franck is God
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
I think Dunfermline have a core of around 3k fans that will turn up every home game whether they are winning or losing and regardless of ticket prices.

They have an extra couple of thousand that will turn up when they are winning games but they disappear when they are at the foot of the SPL which makes it hard for them to survive while having to pay higher wages for players needed to compete. I would think that their overall income is higher in the SPL but their costs increase is greater.

HibbyAndy
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
They're going to have to be happy about it, cause that's where they are heading.

Correct.

Sodje_18
02-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Didn't Hamilton fans have the same mentality last year?

Hibercelona
02-02-2012, 11:08 PM

Depends how you define "high level" football.

I've seen some far better games of football in the lower Dev's.

The whole "You're stuffed, we have better players and are bigger and better than you etc attitude" has a maroon ring to it.

We're far from out of the woods yet, so don't kid yourself.