PDA

View Full Version : Lets hope we now have quality

The Sea-gull
01-02-2012, 05:14 PM
As required and as expected there has been quite a shake up with the squad though I don't think anyone expected it to be so extreme. First of all well done to the board for backing there man. In fairness I think the board always back their man to begin with though my main criticism has been that they perhaps don't always try to push things a bit to help their man get his main target.

Not sure if PF has got his no 1 targets, some probably were and some probably weren't but that is way it goes. I don't think it can be said we have taken a massive risk in signing all these players, a bigger risk would have been not signing any. There is a risk in that it is a difficult time to blend a new team especially when none of them really know scottish football so that is a wee concern.

Credit to PF for identifying the weak areas, shipping out the weak players and characters (though that was fairly obvious even to outsider who they were) and getting numbers in. The board must be credited for enabling him to do all this though I'm not going to go over-board with this as we don't know how good these players are and if they were his first choices. Time will tell.

I am a wee bit dissappointed we have not signed any proven SPL players, that is not to say the new lot won't be up to scratch and some of them have a good pedigree, it is just the situation we are in maybe requires a bit of experience of our league. The other side to it is that Michael Hart and Graeme Smith were proven SPL quality who turned out to be rotten so it probably means nothing.

We were always well covered for GKs and now we have for the first time in a while decent options at full back. Two right backs in Doherty and Francombe (though a little concerned that they are young and inexperience though would assume quality as they are at EPL teams) as well as Wotherspoon and Towell who can play there and are rid of Hart. I'd guess the Gambian Roberto Carlos has been signed to play as first choice LB as we needed a out and out LB. If he is any good defensively this may allow Booth to play left mid. We still have Booth, Murray, Stevenson and Hanlon as cover though none have proved good enough week in week out so good to have someone new on board there.

In midfield Thornhill and Palsson had to go as had just not cut it or taken their chance when it was afforded to them. Lets hope Claros will slot in nicely beside Osbourne in the middle with Stevenson and Scott as back up. We now have Soares to play wide as well as possiby pushing Booth up one on the left. It may mean that Wotherspoon, Galbraith and Sproule can be taken out of the firing line of the support and benched. A few cameos from the bench may increase their confidence if they start coming on when the team is doing a bit better rather than being on the park playing as part of a poor team. I am convinced that Sproule especially is best used from the bench these days more than ever.

Up front Agogo came in looked rubbish, looked ok for a wee while and then looked rubbish again. Was never convinced he would work and am still unhappy if CC chose to sign him instead of Sheridan. Well rid. Sodje did a turn for us last season and has not had much of a chance this season. There may be a reason for this as even CC did not seem to fancy him. Probably no great loss. Doyle comes highly rated but has much to prove. We know GO'C and LG have their bad points but are still better than what most other teams have on their day. If it was their day more often they would not be at Hibs. O'Donavon did not do much for Dundee United but maybe he has something about him and gives an different option.

I have deliberately left out CB. We'll see how McPake does but lets face it, when available he must start for now. Hanlon, Stephens and O'Hanlon have all been really poor this season. The first two are young and may improve - their confidence has been shot to pieces but there is no hiding from the fact that they have been poor and it may just be that they are poor. The less I say about O'Hanlon the better, it has all been said by many people many times now. I still think we need another CB to play with McPake though have heard Doherty can play there but he is very young and going on the performances of other young inexperienced CBs this season, I still hope we can maybe pick up an experienced free agent CB.

On the face of it, good effort in the window. I have nothing to base an opinion on whether it will work out as I don't know the players but I do admire Fenlon for having a real go at trying to sort this and hope he is a good judge of player and can blend this new lot into a team that can keep us up then look at things again come summer.

frazeHFC
01-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Wow that's a long post!

Hopefully we can start winning and push on. :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I agree, lets hope we have quality now. It really is the last chance saloon for many folk down easter road way.

The Sea-gull
01-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Wow that's a long post!

Hopefully we can start winning and push on. :thumbsup:

I know, didn't realise it was war and peace while I was typing it and then saw it on the board!

Just excited that we have some much needed new blood in the squad and are rid of some of the dross we have had to put with. Wish I knew a bit more about the lads we have signed but one way of looking at it is that it is better to have no knowledge of new signings than to be aware of them and think they are rubbish or to be aware of them, think they'll be good and turn out dissappointing ala Michael Hart.

LeithBoozy
01-02-2012, 05:48 PM
We have brought in a few experienced players so hopefully we now have someone that can pass the ball more than 10 ft. Defenders who can defend and midfielders who can help our attack. We will find out just how good they are soon enough, but we must give them our full backing until they are fully beded- in

Mikeystewart
01-02-2012, 06:08 PM
To big to post the whole op:wink:

Can't find anything I disagree with in your post and would consider myself in the same mentality, will just have to wait and see if they are better than what we have/had and hope for the best.

basehibby
01-02-2012, 06:27 PM
A good round up of the way things stand this Feb 1st. I agree that the Centre Back position remains the biggest concern - a lot rests on McPake bringing the leadership, quality and experience that O'Hanlon has signally failed to provide. I believe both Hanlon and Stephens could learn a lot and improve greatly by playing next to such a player - hopefully McPake fits the bill and stays fit enough to make a positive impact on his younger teammates.