PDA

View Full Version : BBC Website (New)

SMAXXA
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Whats everyones thoughts on the new BBC sport website? Personally I dinae like at at all, too much fa**ying about to get to what you want, am all up for progress but prefered the layout of the old one. :rolleyes:

nonshinyfinish
01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Whats everyones thopughts on the new BBC sport website? Personally I dinane like at at all, too much fa**ying about to get to what you want, am all up for progress but prefered the layout of the old one. :rolleyes:

I'll give it a wee while to see if I get used to it, just now I can't decide if it's poorly laid out or if it's just a lack of familiarity. Bit bright likesay.

Gatecrasher
01-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I think it's alright, it's just getting used to it.

Pat Stanton is on radio Scotland tonight talking Hibs from 1810

bawheid
01-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Don't like the yellow at all. Might get used to it.

SteveHFC
01-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I want the old one back :(

Lofarl
01-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Still uses Flash which makes it useless for people who use Iphones or iPads to browse. Yea yea, get android lol and all that. But with Abobe abandoning Flash for mobile devices the format is on the way out.

Why can't it use html5?

DanHFC1875
01-02-2012, 03:10 PM
I'll give it a wee while to see if I get used to it, just now I can't decide if it's poorly laid out or if it's just a lack of familiarity. Bit bright likesay.

I'm actually glad they've changed it, just gives me yet another reason to boycott the ''propaganda'' news lol
needless to say... i'm not a fan.:sick:

Mikey_1875
01-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Don't mind it lot of the same stuff just in different places, quite like how the lower leagues of Scotland get there own pages from the main football screen instead of just 'scottish league' looks like there is more detail on spl main page aswell.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-02-2012, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE

Pat Stanton is on radio Scotland tonight talking Hibs from 1810[/QUOTE]

I thought it was 1875

:wink:

heretoday
01-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't like it.

One Day Soon
01-02-2012, 04:33 PM
We fear change.

I quite like it, though it does look as though its been in a serious custard-related incident.

Hibercelona
01-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Yellow is sore on the eyes and makes it look very cheaply and basically done.

It doesn't look very modern at all either...

machibby
01-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Not to keen on that yellow, but the general layout and functionality is pretty good. My main gripe is you go on and the whole front page is focused on the English Premiership by default - league tables,results, fixtures. Really poor that with all the work they've done on it you still can't select the league you're interested in as your own default. That really is pi$$ poor.

Mikeystewart
01-02-2012, 05:10 PM
First impressions aren't great but I have always felt like that within the first couple of weeks of a re-design.

Soon it will feel as intuitive as the last one.

Mikeystewart
01-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Not to keen on that yellow, but the general layout and functionality is pretty good. My main gripe is you go on and the whole front page is focused on the English Premiership by default - league tables,results, fixtures. Really poor that with all the work they've done on it you still can't select the league you're interested in as your own default. That really is pi$$ poor.

Just add your proffered page as a bookmark / favourite.

ancienthibby
01-02-2012, 05:17 PM
We fear change.

I quite like it, though it does look as though its been in a serious custard-related incident.

ODS, this is for you!:cb

You'll love this.

The site has been transformed into the ENGLISH Broadcasting Corporation:agree::agree:

You used to get the 'regions' on the first page (that's N Ireland, Scotland and Wales) on the front page directory.

Now you have to scroll through the page and find that the access is stuck somewhere down the middle.

Roll on independence, and the Scottish Broadcasting Corporation!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

machibby
01-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Just add your proffered page as a bookmark / favourite.

No I'm talking about the home page for footie, you have the tables and results/fixures down the right side and they're set on the premiership. You should be able to personalise this page for your own league choice much like you can with the weather on the home page.

Bighoose
01-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Not a fan of the changes at all.

hibsbollah
01-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Roll on independence, and the Scottish Broadcasting Corporation!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So we exchange being patronised by London for being patronised by Glasgae? Cue endless reruns of 'Superscot' and a wall to wall diet of west coast slapheaded stupidity?

Er, no thanks.

Back to the OP, in this case the yellow is far from mellow. Dont like it at all.

steakbake
01-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Logged on today. Thought my computer was broken. It's shi!te. They should get rid of it.

steakbake
01-02-2012, 06:22 PM
So we exchange being patronised by London for being patronised by Glasgae? Cue endless reruns of 'Superscot' and a wall to wall diet of west coast slapheaded stupidity?

Er, no thanks.

Back to the OP, in this case the yellow is far from mellow. Dont like it at all.

Superscot, Rab C and River City have all happened while in the union. There's no union dividend on my TV license as far as I can see.

hibsbollah
01-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Superscot, Rab C and River City have all happened while in the union. There's no union dividend on my TV license as far as I can see.

I'm not sure if youre saying this to demonstrate if its a good or a bad thing :greengrin:

Since i moved back to Scotland last year ive been stunned by the sheer amateur excrement that BBC scotland represents. Its shocking. Regional english BBC production is superior on what i assume is a smaller budgey.

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
You simply cannot use yellow as a lead color. An unpardonable lapse of style.

ancienthibby
01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure if youre saying this to demonstrate if its a good or a bad thing :greengrin:

Since i moved back to Scotland last year ive been stunned by the sheer amateur excrement that BBC scotland represents. Its shocking. Regional english BBC production is superior on what i assume is a smaller budgey.

:agree::agree:

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2012, 06:38 PM

Because the UK is so centralized, most of the film and TV 'industry' (if the shambles in the UK can be said to have one) is based in London. BBC should be spending 8% of their budget in Scotland, but have only spent around 3% over the last decade. They have tried to decentralize but found it hard to get staff to move outside of London, as they still recruit disproportionately highly amongst established elites.

nonshinyfinish
01-02-2012, 06:50 PM

How big is BBC Scotland's budgie? Are you sure you're not conflating Jackie Bird with Big Bird?

andy1875
01-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I pressed F5 on my keyboard a couple of times to try and refresh the screen as I genuinely thought it hadn't loaded properly!

Not a fan at all.

hibsbollah
01-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Because the UK is so centralized, most of the film and TV 'industry' (if the shambles in the UK can be said to have one) is based in London. BBC should be spending 8% of their budget in Scotland, but have only spent around 3% over the last decade. They have tried to decentralize but found it hard to get staff to move outside of London, as they still recruit disproportionately highly amongst established elites.

Interesting. I wonder if, in the event of an independent 'Scottish' BBC being set up and more resources being made available, we'd see an improvement in quality? I tend to think that the weedgiecentric nature of the product would continue, and continue to annoy me.

SMAXXA
01-02-2012, 07:53 PM
You would think they would do a survey / rate it for people to give their feedback on the changes, or is it another example of the BBC getting a host of techys together and coming up with this travisty and a pointless waste of money that doesnt satisfy the audience? I would be interested to see the feedback they get from this new site. I know it will probs just take getting used to but I dont think its good at all and a pain in the hole to navigate and find what you want.

Holmesdale Hibs
01-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Preferred the old layout, and the one before that. Yellow doesn't look good and the link to SPL is further down the page.

I'll continue to use it a lot and the content is generally pretty good for everything other than SPL.

One Day Soon
01-02-2012, 08:16 PM
ODS, this is for you!:cb

You'll love this.

The site has been transformed into the ENGLISH Broadcasting Corporation:agree::agree:

You used to get the 'regions' on the first page (that's N Ireland, Scotland and Wales) on the front page directory.

Now you have to scroll through the page and find that the access is stuck somewhere down the middle.

Ahh McGlashan, you really need to take those tartan sunglasses off.

I went to Google, typed in BBC Sport Scotland and clicked on the link. Guess what came up? That's right, BBC Sport - for Scotland. Amazing really. It's all there, Scottish football, rugby, golf, cricket etc. And then, get this, towards the bottom of the page there's even this wee box called 'Around the UK' that contains links for sport in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. The very clever technical thing is that you can save the pages you really like as one of your favourites - so if you were especially keen on, say, Scotland then you could go direct to that page whenever you want to load it up. They don't even make you take an oath to the Queen to do it - oh, we're still going to be doing that after independence aren't we?

And because I'm not obsessed with mad Nationalist conspiracy theories about how the English are trying to eat our women and sleep with our sheep - or whatever it is you believe - the website works just fine for me. Apart, as I mentioned before, from the slightly mad custard coloured overload.

On the other hand perhaps you are right and its all a dirty conspiracy to keep English matters on the front page. That will be why the news ticker at the top of the page is leading with Ghana and Mali qualifying for the final stages of the African Cup of Nations and the Welsh hooker missing the first two games of the rugby....

BEEJ
02-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Apologies for bringing this back to the front page ....

... but there's meant to be a clip on the BBC site from today's media conference with PF, here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/16863319

and for the life of me, I can't see how to play it! :confused: It's the main item on the page but it's the only one that's not apparently able to be activated. Weird.

Might just be my fading appreciation of such things and someone will point out the bleeding obvious. But if not, then I can't say that I'm keen on the new BBC site, if this is going to become the norm.

Saorsa
02-02-2012, 10:11 PM

... but there's meant to be a clip on the BBC site from today's media conference with PF, here:

and for the life of me, I can't see how to play it! :confused: It's the main item on the page but it's the only one that's not apparently able to be activated. Weird.

Might just be my fading appreciation of such things and someone will point out the bleeding obvious. But if not, then I can't say that I'm keen on the new BBC site, if this is going to become the norm.I think it's crap :agree:

you'll no play that, for whatever reason all that's there is a picture instead of the video.

PeeJay
03-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Might just be my fading appreciation of such things and someone will point out the bleeding obvious. But if not, then I can't say that I'm keen on the new BBC site, if this is going to become the norm.

It plays automatically for me... (IE9)

Andy74
03-02-2012, 08:21 AM
It's not as bad as the Scotsman site which is still a disgrace months after they launched it.

aberhibsfc
03-02-2012, 09:22 AM
****** Journo leanings outweigh spelling:

BBC Sport Scottish Premier Website

Friday's Scottish gossip

FOOTBALL GOSSIP

'Aberdeen's Nigerian striker Danny Uchechi has tipped countryman Rabiu Ibrahim to shine at Celtc. (Daily Record)'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/16868533

Dinkydoo
03-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Don't really like the changes to the site navigation and imo, the theme is pretty crap.

Hibs7
03-02-2012, 11:48 AM
And do you see their up and coming fixtures are all Celtic and Rangers games ....... talk about ***** west coast bias this is unbelievable. :shocked:

SMAXXA
03-02-2012, 02:19 PM
It plays automatically for me... (IE9)

I CANT WATCH IT EITHER :confused:

ancienthibby
03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Ahh McGlashan, you really need to take those tartan sunglasses off.

I went to Google, typed in BBC Sport Scotland and clicked on the link. Guess what came up? That's right, BBC Sport - for Scotland. Amazing really. It's all there, Scottish football, rugby, golf, cricket etc. And then, get this, towards the bottom of the page there's even this wee box called 'Around the UK' that contains links for sport in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. The very clever technical thing is that you can save the pages you really like as one of your favourites - so if you were especially keen on, say, Scotland then you could go direct to that page whenever you want to load it up. They don't even make you take an oath to the Queen to do it - oh, we're still going to be doing that after independence aren't we?

And because I'm not obsessed with mad Nationalist conspiracy theories about how the English are trying to eat our women and sleep with our sheep - or whatever it is you believe - the website works just fine for me. Apart, as I mentioned before, from the slightly mad custard coloured overload.

On the other hand perhaps you are right and its all a dirty conspiracy to keep English matters on the front page. That will be why the news ticker at the top of the page is leading with Ghana and Mali qualifying for the final stages of the African Cup of Nations and the Welsh hooker missing the first two games of the rugby....

You really need to find another gig, ODS!

And stop acting like a kindergarten failure.

Many of us in Scotland do not want to be hide-bound by the constraints of the Unionist parties and so we actually look at what's on in the whole world of sport via the BBC main site - and guess what - it's deprived off Scottish, Welsh, N Ireland stories. On the key front page, you now have to search for a link to these sites, unlike before when it was all on the front page.

Get a grip, pathetic Nat-basher.

RyeSloan
03-02-2012, 05:59 PM
You really need to find another gig, ODS!

And stop acting like a kindergarten failure.

Many of us in Scotland do not want to be hide-bound by the constraints of the Unionist parties and so we actually look at what's on in the whole world of sport via the BBC main site - and guess what - it's deprived off Scottish, Welsh, N Ireland stories. On the key front page, you now have to search for a link to these sites, unlike before when it was all on the front page.

Get a grip, pathetic Nat-basher.

Eh?

The Sport Main Page has lead stories on Football, Cricket and Rugby Union plus Headlines for Formula 1, Rugby League and Rugby Union and the Cairo riots…

Hit the Football link at the top of the main page and yes most of the main stories are English based (not surprising considering the main viewing audience I would have thought) but there is a very easy to find link to a full main page on Scottish Football which has stories relating to Aberdeen, Motherwell and Ranger plus all the multiple related links.

Quite how you can relate that set up to being “hide-bound by the constraints of the Unionist parties” I have no idea.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-02-2012, 10:23 PM
We fear change.

Thankfully, according to the BBC, "no custard was hurt in the making of this website".

DCI Gene Hunt
04-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Can't say it bothers me too much, couple of mates were on Facebook moaning about it but can't say I find it too bad, does look a bit bright though!

One thing that does bother me though is when people bring onto this forum their boring political bollocks... happens too often... keep it to the other forum and leave the rest of us alone, we ain't interested! :rolleyes:

Gene

Sergy Pie
04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Still uses Flash which makes it useless for people who use Iphones or iPads to browse. Yea yea, get android lol and all that. But with Abobe abandoning Flash for mobile devices the format is on the way out.

Why can't it use html5?

It will be years before all versions of browsers embrace html5.

I think the change is ****. I felt the old version was needing revamped about 2 days before the new site was launched funnily enough but feel they've missed the mark by miles.

s.a.m
04-02-2012, 12:44 PM
It's not as bad as the Scotsman site which is still a disgrace months after they launched it.

:agree: I hate it. The old site was much more useful - basically, if you clicked on News, you got a list of the day's stories, and the further back you went, the further back in time they went. It wasn't visually thrilling, but it did the job you wanted it to do. Now, there are a couple of new stories in each sub-section each day, and the rest is made up of ancient lurkers. The Herald did this a while back, and there are days when there is almost nothing new, with the website being cluttered with stories which are weeks, or even months, old. If the point is to encourage you to buy the paper copy, it's had the opposite effect on me.:grr::grr::grr:

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to get that off my chest!:greengrin

stokesmessiah
04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Gash.

joe breezy
04-02-2012, 01:50 PM
It's like its an East Fife website.

There's really no good reason to make a website yellow and black, unless it's for a sporting team that play in those colours.