PDA

View Full Version : Well Done Rod and the Board (merged)

Aldo
31-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Have to say that Rod and the board deserve a lot of credit for the work carried out over the last few weeks.

There have been a lot of doubters on the board ( including me) in recent weeks over the direction of the club but hopefully the last 24 hours will go along way to show what the club means to them as well as us.

Well done for backing your man.

GG

Andy74
31-01-2012, 08:23 PM
And SL doing most of the work you'd assume.

Gatecrasher
31-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Have to say that Rod and the board deserve a lot of credit for the work carried out over the last few weeks.

There have been a lot of doubters on the board ( including me) in recent weeks over the direction of the club but hopefully the last 24 hours will go along way to show what the club means to them as well as us.

GG

I will have to say i'm happy with the business the club has done this month. They looked to have secured my ST money for next season :aok:

derekHFC
31-01-2012, 08:27 PM
We've not seen these guys play yet remember :devil:

Andy74
31-01-2012, 08:27 PM
We've not seen these guys play yet remember :devil:

Plenty time for the reality!!

smurf
31-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Plenty time for the reality!!

Hopefully for once better than what's on paper...

PaulSmith
31-01-2012, 08:47 PM
We're definitely signing players which is a step towards staying up as the current crop were incapable of doing so. Claros looks to have a decent pedigree and hopefully he can become the 'main man' and settle in quickly. Very few players from South America find it easy but hopefully the lad has the talent :agree:

The other signings, as mentioned they're here to do a job from now until the end of the season and after that who knows but no 1 priority is staying up so it seems and quite rightly.

It's actually no that different from other seasons where the manager has been allowed to wheel and deal with loans and get bodies in, we just need to hope that the ones identified this time are actually better than what we've let go.

Looking forward to seeing the new guys in action :pfgwa

Minder
31-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Will judge in May.................all we need is a point more than Dumfy.................looks promising though............ fingers crossed. Let us remember, we should never have been in this position where we have to replace half a team in January because we are close to becoming detached at bottom. Lessons learnt and all that.

:pfgwa

S.sct
31-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Hats of to PF (yes, and the board), he has obviously worked his arse off attempting to cover positions we all highlighted. Yes, we need to see these guys on the park and we will have to do it all again in the summer (loan signings will most probably return to their clubs) but it is about the short term for now. Looking forward to Saturday.........

Ozyhibby
31-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Well done on a successful transfer window. Got the 4 defenders in that we needed and that I always knew you would.
Improvements in midfield to boot.
Should shut up some of the doubting Thomas's on here.
Nice one Paddy.

scott7_0(Prague)
31-01-2012, 10:18 PM
These signings are still prove they are better than we have, whilst I am happy with the activity time will tell if they are the correct players needed.

None the less a positive message has been sent out.

The Harp Awakes
31-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Well done on a successful transfer window. Got the 4 defenders in that we needed and that I always knew you would.
Nice one Paddy.

The proof will be on the park but yes, gotta agree with you, it looks like we finally have a Manager in place who has the balls and dogged determination to turn things around:thumbsup:

DanHFC1875
31-01-2012, 10:45 PM
The proof will be on the park but yes, gotta agree with you, it looks like we finally have a Manager in place who has the balls and dogged determination to turn things around:thumbsup:

This pretty much proves fenlon wanted to just about change the whole team.... RIGHTLY SO!!
Let's get right behind the new boys and hope they put in a proper shift. Not worried about them being loans as their parent clubs will be keeping tabs and they won't be very welcome back if they blow it up here. Sure Fenlon will get the best out of them all and get us away from our lowly league position. In Fenlon we trust!! Amen.

Hibs7
31-01-2012, 10:51 PM
The fact he knows a few, so they will have the attitude and skill he is looking for. Let's hope this is the start of recovery.

Baker9
31-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Brilliant effort, Pat Fenlon, and all involved. Get Scott Lindsay to tuck you in tonight and have a great sleep.

Today has given me the best Hibs pick-me-up in years and I hope your courage is rewarded by the success you deserve.

Sir David Gray
31-01-2012, 10:59 PM
These signings are still prove they are better than we have, whilst I am happy with the activity time will tell if they are the correct players needed.

If he's managed to find players that are actually worse than the players who have been playing for us up until now, Fenlon should be up for some sort of award.

That really would take some doing.

I've been really impressed with Fenlon so far, he's gone about his business really well and I just hope that we've finally got a man in charge who actually knows what he's doing.

Brebners Bookie
01-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Nice one Paddy.

I agree but tbh i had you down as one of the doubters. Your earlier thread criticising Fenlon for signing a striker, saying we would be looking for a new manager by the end of the year and slating the signings of Soares/Doyle etc is about the only negative thread i have seen on here about Paddy.

Glad to see you have changed your mind.

Hibby cal
01-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Ok he has made some stupid appointments
When it comes to managers .
But one thing that we can't say now
(and I have been guilty of this myself)
Is that the tache does not back his managers .
After today I think rod has firmly made a
Statement that out with the OF we are the
Biggest backers to our managers.
Hopefully come the summer he will continue
To back the pat fenlon revolution with the same
Quality if not better.

all hail the tache. All hail the tache
:guesswho:

SteveHFC
01-02-2012, 12:43 AM
http://www.cool-smiley.com/smiley/stars/c007.gif

Well Done Petrie and the Board. :aok:

Joe
01-02-2012, 01:40 AM
I really think this shows the difference between Fenlon and he who shall not be named. After the players who were not gonna be offered deals left in the summer we had only one recognised left back in Booth who had played about a dozen games in the SPL, in central defence we had Murray, past his best then Hanlon and Stephens who are kids and then just Hart at right back. So who does Calderwood sign? One central defender and he was terrible. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out our biggest problem and Fenlon has gone straight to it :pfgwa

muzzhfc
01-02-2012, 01:49 AM
good to see we have made such good use of the loan system. get players in who can (hopefully) keep us up and then come the summer, when more players are available, sign up long term players for the world domination, ueafa cl, 50,000 seater stadium etc. talking of which, how many "world class" players did the yams sign? oh wait. who cares

broonie27
01-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Quiet thread this one, eh. :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
01-02-2012, 04:25 AM
I agree but tbh i had you down as one of the doubters. Your earlier thread criticising Fenlon for signing a striker, saying we would be looking for a new manager by the end of the year and slating the signings of Soares/Doyle etc is about the only negative thread i have seen on here about Paddy.

Glad to see you have changed your mind.

Don't think there was ever any doubt he was one of the main doubters:wink: Excessively so IMO, but then again I always did believe that the times they are a changing so a little short thrift with those of the opposite view. Upward spiral begins again. :pfgwa:pfgwa:hibees:pfgwa:pfgwa

paxtonhibby
01-02-2012, 04:49 AM

Aye, the deafening silence of humble pie consumption :D

Badge
01-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Brilliant effort, Pat Fenlon, and all involved. Get Scott Lindsay to tuck you in tonight and have a great sleep.

Today has given me the best Hibs pick-me-up in years and I hope your courage is rewarded by the success you deserve.

Spot on. :top marks

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-02-2012, 06:17 AM

Don't talk wet :confused:

So this makes up for nearly three years of hell at Easter Road aye? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the new boys but let's not get ahead of ourselves......again

spike220
01-02-2012, 06:17 AM

Agreed. We should have a tache-icon out of respect for the man, who is in charge of such things on here?????

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-02-2012, 06:22 AM
Agreed. We should have a tache-icon out of respect for the man, who is in charge of such things on here?????

Unbelievable post alert!

:confused:

lucky
01-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Not all the signings will work out but PF has worked hard to try and give us a chance of staying up. Looking forward to Saturday

Craig_in_Prague
01-02-2012, 07:28 AM
I think it's great the 1st game with all these new players is in the cup. I think cup games tend to be more open anyway and the players can express themselves a little.... the pressure of playing for points this weekend I think would be worse for many of there 1st game..... Also for the fans it should be even easier to get to ER and get behind them coz it's the cup.

I'm not sure how dangerous it is haven most of your players as loans, in a relegation battle.... But I'm sure Pat knows what he's doing and has brought in players he knows quite well, whilst he'll have run the rule over a few of them at training and in bounce games, whilst I see him as a better manager for getting players with the 'right mentality' in the door.... Our previous managers all talked the talk, I think Fenlon is finally the man that will sort us out.

Who'd of thought it, hibs being probably most exciting club in the transfer dealings
:hibees

greenlex
01-02-2012, 07:38 AM

Some folk are never happy.

jonty
01-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Do we actually know what he's done?

Or has it been shrewd moves by PF in identifying targets (I'd say yes as some are players he's previously worked with) and SL for concluding the deals (if thats what he does?)

Its not been stated anywhere that the manager has been given extra funds. In fact, he's done as most others have done - offloaded some to make way.

Good work all round, Hibs :agree: :top marks
(lets hope their decent)

With most of the moves loans, they wont have involved much up front costs. Given the losses and lower attendances/ST sales I can't see any massive increase in budget come the summer.

But lets not take the shine off things and get too depressed - can't wait to see the new boys in action :agree: :thumbsup:

Hainan Hibs
01-02-2012, 07:49 AM

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Petrie has made an arse of some recent appointments as manager, but i and a few others have always said he certainly backs whoever he's put in charge. And he backs them MORE THAN ANY OTHER MANAGER BAR THE 3 OBVIOUS ONES.

I think now we can now ALL see that, and along with the post someone put up proving it, there is no argument.

Now we have all been asking for more investment from STF, it would not surprise me if he has dug deep, but is just not making a song and dance about it?

As i have said before, Petrie has been at the helm of some horrendous managerial appointments, and in my opinion has to have got this one right, if not he will have no hiding place.

johnrebus
01-02-2012, 07:51 AM

Could not agree more.

I won't be celebrating until Petrie has followed Hart, Sodje, Agogo, etc out of the door.

Lucius Apuleius
01-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Acht well, couldnae last forever I guess.

Glory Glory

Twa Cairpets
01-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Could not agree more.

I won't be celebrating until Petrie has followed Hart, Sodje, Agogo, etc out of the door.

What if we start to do well? What if we go on a run? What if we actually play some good football? What if, heaven forfend, we actually get to the cup final (obviously not win it cos Hibs don't do that)?

Seems odd to judge how you'll celebrate/feel until you see the effect of what's happened. Might be the case that he's made the right decisions... Of course if it's still turgid appallingness on the pitch then the position of the El Tache becomes untenable.

But we don't know yet. End of the season is time to judge.

erskine-hibby
01-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Could not agree more.

Bolted horse has door the closing the after (rearrange)

down-the-slope
01-02-2012, 08:17 AM
As someone who thinks the Tache has done a generally good job...I agree in part. Although its SL that is doing all the contract spade work and overseeing football stuff.

So much as I have defended Rod getting all the pelters for the things that have not gone well...its not right to give him all the credit for things that are progress.

I have always argued that support for managers was not the main issue.....it was the seeming inability of previous managers to spend the ever increasing budgets well (in fact making a horses rear of it mostly)....and not making full use of the loan system as others (notably St J's / Killie) have done

The signs are good that the coaching and football dept have made the best of the difficult Jan window....I will wait till 5/6 games have passed before I judge the proof of the pudding...

jonty
01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
As someone who thinks the Tache has done a generally good job...I agree in part. Although its SL that is doing all the contract spade work and overseeing football stuff.

So much as I have defended Rod getting all the pelters for the things that have not gone well...its not right to give him all the credit for things that are progress.

I have always argued that support for managers was not the main issue.....it was the seeming inability of previous managers to spend the ever increasing budgets well (in fact making a horses rear of it mostly)....and not making full use of the loan system as others (notably St J's / Killie) have done

The signs are good that the coaching and football dept have made the best of the difficult Jan window....I will wait till 5/6 games have passed before I judge the proof of the pudding...

We have the quantity, lets now see if we have the quality.

spike220
01-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Bolted horse has door the closing the after (rearrange)

door has Bolted the horse after the closing :confused::confused::confused:

I dont quite get what your trying to say, this is football thread. Anyway back to the real issue here: Should the tache get his own tache-icon on hibs net? yes or no?

And no more criptic talk about horses please!!
:cb
GGTTH

ahibby
01-02-2012, 09:19 AM
On paper it looks quite promising. For the time being the Board and particular tache and SL should be off the hook. I have been critical of them recently, and no wonder, but I hoped that the more experience SL picks up the fewer mistakes he'll make. Hopefully he has learned his lessons and we can get back up the table due to bringing in the right manager, assistants and players. I know it's superstitious nonsense but I like the idea of an Irish man being at the helm when we are in trouble, it's our roots and all that guff. It would be good to see him there when we are not in trouble too. Of course nationality has little to do with it, merit alone should matter but I hope you know where I'm coming from.

Baker9
01-02-2012, 09:21 AM
I think it's great the 1st game with all these new players is in the cup. I think cup games tend to be more open anyway and the players can express themselves a little.... the pressure of playing for points this weekend I think would be worse for many of there 1st game..... Also for the fans it should be even easier to get to ER and get behind them coz it's the cup.

I'm not sure how dangerous it is haven most of your players as loans, in a relegation battle.... But I'm sure Pat knows what he's doing and has brought in players he knows quite well, whilst he'll have run the rule over a few of them at training and in bounce games, whilst I see him as a better manager for getting players with the 'right mentality' in the door.... Our previous managers all talked the talk, I think Fenlon is finally the man that will sort us out.

Who'd of thought it, hibs being probably most exciting club in the transfer dealings :hibees

Taking the month of January as a whole I would be interested to know if we were actually the most exciting club in dealings. Perhaps based on total of ins and outs whether loan (which appears to be the norm these days) or signings. Statto could perhaps work it out if it hasn't been done already.

J-C
01-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Well done Pat for having the cahoonas to get shot of some of the non trying wage thieves and replace them so quickly( albeit on loan, except Kujabi ) with others of your own choice, we'll give them a couple of games to gel and hopefully get shooting up the league. Pity he couldn't move on the other non triers but obviously O'Hanlon, Hanlon, Sproule and Galbraith are on longer contracts, so a wee bit more expensive to end their contracts.

J-C
01-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Who'd of thought it, hibs being probably most exciting club in the transfer dealings
:hibees

I wonder how many of these loan signings are possible buys if it works out and they're happy to stay.

Cocaine&Caviar
01-02-2012, 09:56 AM
I wonder how many of these loan signings are possible buys if it works out and they're happy to stay.

Given their situations at their current clubs, I think if we really wanted to, Griffiths, McPake, Towell, & O'Donovan would all be available.

Persevere80
01-02-2012, 10:38 AM
That was a good bit of buisness for a January transfer window for an effort to keep us up, i might even dig my hands in to my pocket and show face for the rest of the season to show my support.

--------
01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Ok he has made some stupid appointments
When it comes to managers .
But one thing that we can't say now
(and I have been guilty of this myself)
Is that the tache does not back his managers .
After today I think rod has firmly made a
Statement that out with the OF we are the
Biggest backers to our managers.
Hopefully come the summer he will continue
To back the pat fenlon revolution with the same
Quality if not better.

all hail the tache. All hail the tache
:guesswho:

I presume that you guys have never heard the expression "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"? Or maybe you haven't got your minds round the concept of "cause and effect"?

Farmer and Petrie are businessmen providing a product to their customers. As long as those customers are prepared to sit quietly and make no noise, F and P will not improve the product - why should they, they're hearing no complaint?

I suspect a direct causal relationship between the moaning and complaining many of us have been doing here on the net and other Hibs fans's websites, and the energetic pursuit of new talent we've witnessed over the past few days.

And, as others have so accurately observed, we haven't seen these guys play yet - this could yet be no more than another round of the same dross we've had to suffer for far too long now.

Don't go near any sharp objects, boys - you wouldn't want to puncture that well-inflated smug self-satisfied feeling you're enjoying right now .... :wink:

Could not agree more.

Hear, hear, Mr Rebus, sir. I second your motion and move we vote on it NOW.

The leopard doesn't change his spots, nor the Tash his stinginess. My opinion, there's still a great deal wrong at ER, and bringing in a few loan signings won't solve it.

greenlex
01-02-2012, 10:50 AM
I presume that you guys have never heard the expression "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"? Or maybe you haven't got your minds round the concept of "cause and effect"?

Farmer and Petrie are businessmen providing a product to their customers. As long as those customers are prepared to sit quietly and make no noise, F and P will not improve the product - why should they, they're hearing no complaint?

I suspect a direct causal relationship between the moaning and complaining many of us have been doing here on the net and other Hibs fans's websites, and the energetic pursuit of new talent we've witnessed over the past few days.

And, as others have so accurately observed, we haven't seen these guys play yet - this could yet be no more than another round of the same dross we've had to suffer for far too long now.

Don't go near any sharp objects, boys - you wouldn't want to puncture that well-inflated smug self-satisfied feeling you're enjoying right now .... :wink:

Hear, hear, Mr Rebus, sir. I second your motion and move we vote on it NOW.

The leopard doesn't change his spots, nor the Tash his stinginess. My opinion, ther's still a great deal wrong at ER, and bringing in a few loan signings won't solve it.

I am not going to debate with you Doddie because we will go round and round in circles but it seems to me the pie ain't going down too well. :greengrin

Kaiser_Sauzee
01-02-2012, 10:58 AM
It is clear that the the board has backed Pat since he arrived at the club and have bought into his philosophy what with the comings and goings at Easter Road in recent weeks.

:aok:

Craig_in_Prague
01-02-2012, 11:02 AM
A lot of people have sent shall we say, constructive critiscm, type emails to the club the last year or so...... Can we actually write to anyone to note our satisfaction in the efforts during January?

I honestly believe we have got as worse as we'll ever get and now it's back on an upward spiral under Pat.

the best way to support the manager and club would be to turn up in huge numbers starting on Sat, but I would also encourage people to drop an email to the club as well, to show how the efforts are appreciated to put wrong right. :aok:

--------
01-02-2012, 11:04 AM
I am not going to debate with you Doddie because we will go round and round in circles but it seems to me the pie ain't going down too well. :greengrin

Ain't going down at all, Lex. Farmer and Petrie are still on Doddie's probation list and will remain there until I feel comfortable that things are really changing at ER.

I see no reasons to apologise for being angry and outraged at the way the football team I support has been managed and run over the past 5 years, or for expressing myself as such on what I had presumed to be an open fans' forum. You're apparently happy with Petrie's stewardship of the club's steady decline. I'm not.

Scouse Hibee
01-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Fully expected Rod to cash in on this mass hysteria created by new singings and lauch the new season ticket deal at 11pm last night with a free cup top up and 10% reduction if you renew by midnight friday.:greengrin

Andy74
01-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Ain't going down at all, Lex. Farmer and Petrie are still on Doddie's probation list and will remain there until I feel comfortable that things are really changing at ER.

I see no reasons to apologise for being angry and outraged at the way the football team I support has been managed and run over the past 5 years, or for expressing myself as such on what I had presumed to be an open fans' forum. You're apparently happy with Petrie's stewardship of the club's steady decline. I'm not.

Has the club been on a steady decline, or the team?

I think this is the crux of all the ongoing arguments.

You either think that the maanger is responsible for that and has wasted all the money the Board has made available, or you think that ther manager has been denied the resources to do well.

For me the evidence continues to be that the board back the manager and we then stand or fall by what he produces.

At the end of Hughes spell and the beginning of CC we were still getting good average crowds and had the odd occassion were we needed some of the new seats. Our average was not a kick in the behind off Hearts and our highest attendances were a couple of thousand higher than theirs.

It is footballing results that have turned that around very quickly and dramatically.

chrisski33
01-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Think i will wait to say well done once these players have played a few games. May well benefit us in the short term but with alot of loan players how does our long term future hold in terms of selling players to have money to buy.better players?

CropleyWasGod
01-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Think i will wait to say well done once these players have played a few games. May well benefit us in the short term but with alot of loan players how does our long term future hold in terms of selling players to have money to buy.better players?

The short term objective is to stay in this League. Once that is achieved/not achieved, the medium and longer term can be mapped out.

Cropley10
01-02-2012, 11:28 AM

Start with a win v Killie on Saturday.

Win more home League games

Manage the odd point, or even a win, away.

Play some decent football.

Win the next Derby.

Give the OF a game.

Stay up.

See evidence that the team (re)building is continuing and youth development is happening.

Very much looking forward to Saturday 3pm and the rest of this season now.

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2012, 11:38 AM

Start with a win v Killie on Saturday.

Win more home League games

Manage the odd point, or even a win, away.

Play some decent football.

Win the next Derby.

Give the OF a game.

Stay up.

See evidence that the team (re)building is continuing and youth development is happening.

Very much looking forward to Saturday 3pm and the rest of this season now.

Agreed. The season starts in Saturday. It's been a long (two year, or even five depending on your view) pre season of ugly scratch games but we have a new manager and, hopefully, a new team. We have to see how the signings work out and it's unreasonable to think all of them will be succesful, but they were picked by a no-nonsense guy who knows football instead of an ineffective clown.

The Hibees are back!

paxtonhibby
01-02-2012, 11:43 AM

Ok I won't mention h20,precipitation,moisture,rain,steam,etc.
We have had to endure some absolute crap I totally agree but surely its a positive step,aye ?
These new signings require the supporters full backing but the whinging continues. I couldn't imagine the reaction if no business was done,then again maybe I could.

--------
01-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Has the club been on a steady decline, or the team?

I think this is the crux of all the ongoing arguments.

You either think that the maanger is responsible for that and has wasted all the money the Board has made available, or you think that ther manager has been denied the resources to do well.

For me the evidence continues to be that the board back the manager and we then stand or fall by what he produces.

At the end of Hughes spell and the beginning of CC we were still getting good average crowds and had the odd occassion were we needed some of the new seats. Our average was not a kick in the behind off Hearts and our highest attendances were a couple of thousand higher than theirs.

It is footballing results that have turned that around very quickly and dramatically.

How do you separate the club from the team, Andy? The club exists to put the team on the field. By this point two years ago - midway through Hughes' tenure - the signs of the team coming apart were apparent and obvious. But fans don't (or shouldn't) turn on the manager for what may be no more than a temporary blip. By the end of that season, it was clear it was no blip. The new season confirmed that. The fact that crowds were holding up was more of a tribute to the fans' patience than to the masterful stewardship of owner, CEO and board, IMO. But MIXU has since said that when HE arrived at the club the atmosphere in the dressingroom was poisonous - the aftereffects of the rebellion against John Collins. The club has been rebounding from one problem/crisis to another since spring 2007 - nearly FIVE years - and all the time there's been a slow but steady decline in player quality and direction from the top.

The manager operates within a corporate structure that has its own ethos and atmosphere. For that the owner, chairman and board are responsible. The Hibs manager's job has been a poisoned chalice since Collins left so contentiously.

The fall hasn't been 'quick and dramatic', Andy, it's been the slow accumulation of stresses and strains within the club culminating in the present crisis. What accident investigators call a 'cascade' - a series of problems, initially manageable, that increases in seriousness and frequency until the whole structure falls. I just hope that farmer and Petrie have caught this in time, because right now as far as I can see we're still in serious danger of relegation, we can't win a game in our own stadium, and we've just brought in a raft of short-term- and loan-signings who may or may not be good enough to turn results around.

So let's not split hairs - we're still up to our necks in the merde and it's the leadership of the club, Farmer, Petrie and the board they appointed, who've put us there. No one else in sight, Andy.

basehibby
01-02-2012, 12:02 PM

I'll save my portion until the manager has been backed to build a team which will last us longer than the next 6 months thankyou.

For the sake of positivity on this thread though, I'll ignore any oportunities spurned to make a start on that for now, and acknowledge the good work done in achieving a massive turnaround in playing staff which will hopefully secure our immediate SPL future - :aok:

hibiedude
01-02-2012, 12:04 PM
We sign some new players who havent kicked a ball in anger yet and all is forgiven...... :faf::faf::faf:

Andy74
01-02-2012, 12:12 PM
How do you separate the club from the team, Andy? The club exists to put the team on the field. By this point two years ago - midway through Hughes' tenure - the signs of the team coming apart were apparent and obvious. But fans don't (or shouldn't turn on the manager for what may be no more than a temporary blip. By the end of that season, it was clear it was no blip. The new season confirmed that. The fact that crowds were holding up was more of a tribute to the fans' patience than to the masterful stewardship of owner, CEO and board, IMO. But MIXU has since said that when HE arrived at the club the atmosphere in the dressingroom was poisonous - the aftereffects of the rebellion against John Collins. The club has been rebounding from one problem/crisis to another since spring 2007 - nearly FIVE years - and all the time there's been a slow but steady decline in player quality and direction from the top.

The manager operates within a corporate structure that has its own ethos and atmosphere. For that the owner, chairman and board are responsible. The Hibs manager's job has been a poisoned chalice since Collins left so contentiously.

The fall ahsn't been 'quick and dramatic', Andy, it's been the slow accumulation of stresses and strains within the club culminating in the present crisis. What accident investigators call a 'cascade' - a series of problems, initially manageable, that increases in seriousness and frequency until the whole structure falls. I just hope that farmer and Petrie have caught this in time, because right now as far as I can see we're still in serious danger of relegation, we can't win a game in our own stadium, and we've just brought in a raft of short-term- and loan-signings who may or may not be good enough to turn results around.

So let's not split hairs - we're still up to our necks in the merde and it's the leadership of the club, Farmer, Petrie and the board they appointed, who've put us there. No one else in sight, Andy.

Okay, believe all that if you will. I tend to think that when you get a decent manager who puts a decent team in place the results get better and the crowds get better.

When you get a poor one who makes bad choices it gets worse.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2012, 12:12 PM
My problem with all this is i have seen it all before. This time last season we did something similar, and actually got worse.

There were threads saying how well we'd done to get Liverpools reserve team captain, a player from Forrest and others who we all thought couldn't be any worse that those they were replacing.

Please dont let this be the case again Pat, we need you to be the right man now, and make our club better. :pray:

Peevemor
01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
My problem with all this is i have seen it all before. This time last season we did something similar, and actually got worse.

There were threads saying how well we'd done to get Liverpools reserve team captain, a player from Forrest and others who we all thought couldn't be any worse that those they were replacing.

Please dont let this be the case again Pat, we need you to be the right man now, and make our club better. :pray:

We went on a run that took us almost into the top six. :confused:

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Is that you Rod?

Peevemor
01-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Is that you Rod?

:greengrin

It's true though, in the short term we improved (or at least the results certainly did).

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2012, 12:20 PM
:greengrin

It's true though, in the short term we improved (or at least the results certainly did).

Yes we had fabulous february as its now known, :greengrin but over the piece, we actually got worse, and 1 point from 15 against the bottom 6 was even worse than i thought we'd ever stoop. :boo hoo:

Andy74
01-02-2012, 12:20 PM

Longer term though through poor management it didn't work. The players proved to be poor long term acquisitions.

It does beg the question though, when we go on these runs and the likes of the 8 months Hughes had, is that despite of the fact the club is badly run and has a poisonous atmosphere? Or does that just get wheeled out when we hit bad form?

And where does that leave the likes of Hughes and CC?? Maybe we were all wrong and they were doing great jobs under all the circumstances. We can't really have it all ways.

I'm with others though that see yesterday, or this window, as nothing new, despite the criticism we do see that Hibs are always active in the window. That just reinforces the fact we always have to be, but then if the board have delivered the players previously, who is to blame for them not doing as expected?

The Falcon
01-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Agree with most of this but, at the moment at least, there appears to be a whole different feeling about the place and about Fenlon. CC admitted, albeit to late, that his team was not hard enough but did not seem to really address this.

Fenlon looks like he has in the first window, albeit not a long term solution. Looking forward to Saturday.

Peevemor
01-02-2012, 12:34 PM
It's pretty clear that PF rates very few of the players that he inherited and has set out to change the whole attitude of the playing staff.

He's introduced competition/replacements for almost every position and he's shown that he's not prepared to carry dead weight. Now most of the 'old' squad don't know if they'll get a game on Saturday. These guys (if they're worth their salt) will now be trying out their skins to get into the team - being dropped from a relegation threatened team won't look great on their CVs will it?

I'm not expecting some miraculous change on Saturday, but I do believe that this week is the start of a new era .

Here's hoping that PF is indeed the man to finally sort us out.

johnrebus
01-02-2012, 12:45 PM
How do you separate the club from the team, Andy? The club exists to put the team on the field. By this point two years ago - midway through Hughes' tenure - the signs of the team coming apart were apparent and obvious. But fans don't (or shouldn't turn on the manager for what may be no more than a temporary blip. By the end of that season, it was clear it was no blip. The new season confirmed that. The fact that crowds were holding up was more of a tribute to the fans' patience than to the masterful stewardship of owner, CEO and board, IMO. But MIXU has since said that when HE arrived at the club the atmosphere in the dressingroom was poisonous - the aftereffects of the rebellion against John Collins. The club has been rebounding from one problem/crisis to another since spring 2007 - nearly FIVE years - and all the time there's been a slow but steady decline in player quality and direction from the top.
The fall ahsn't been 'quick and dramatic', Andy, it's been the slow accumulation of stresses and strains within the club culminating in the present crisis. What accident investigators call a 'cascade' - a series of problems, initially manageable, that increases in seriousness and frequency until the whole structure falls. I just hope that farmer and Petrie have caught this in time, because right now as far as I can see we're still in serious danger of relegation, we can't win a game in our own stadium, and we've just brought in a raft of short-term- and loan-signings who may or may not be good enough to turn results around.

Sums up the situation perfectly.

From the night that Rob Jones and his possee rang Petrie's doorbell, things have gone from bad to worse.

Whether we stay in the SPL or get relegated, Petrie should be a distant memory by the start of next season.

:pray:

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Agree with most of this but, at the moment at least, there appears to be a whole different feeling about the place and about Fenlon. CC admitted, albeit to late, that his team was not hard enough but did not seem to really address this.

Fenlon looks like he has in the first window, albeit not a long term solution. Looking forward to Saturday.

It's pretty clear that PF rates very few of the players that he inherited and has set out to change the whole attitude of the playing staff.

He's introduced competition/replacements for almost every position and he's shown that he's not prepared to carry dead weight. Now most of the 'old' squad don't know if they'll get a game on Saturday. These guys (if they're worth their salt) will now be trying out their skins to get into the team - being dropped from a relegation threatened team won't look great on their CVs will it?

I'm not expecting some miraculous change on Saturday, but I do believe that this week is the start of a new era .

Here's hoping that PF is indeed the man to finally sort us out.

:agree: Everything crossed here in Blackpool. :pray:

Thecat23
01-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Look it's simple. To build a proper team it's not loan deals we need it's players on contracts for over a year. I'm more than happy with the transfer window and how it went. For the folk on here thinking all is great again it's not. We need to invest in the summer on players that we know we can build a good steady squad around. So until then my view on the board stands. I'm not slating them i'll be behind the boys come sat as i think we all should be. Lets not try score points off each other. We know who supports our current board and those who don't that's opinions and we all have our right to them. Know one is right or wrong apart from me who's right :greengrin (kidding) So lets just put energy we have into the team on a sat and get us up this league and through to the next round of the cup.

The summer is make or break for me. So until then Come on the cabbage! :flag:

IWasThere2016
01-02-2012, 12:55 PM

Spot on the Dodmeister :top marks

erskine-hibby
01-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Agree to all of the above:agree:

Okay, believe all that if you will. I tend to think that when you get a decent manager who puts a decent team in place the results get better and the crowds get better.

When you get a poor one who makes bad choices it gets worse.

And Petrie has made many bad choices, no??????

Gatecrasher
01-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm Happy at the moment because i feel the board have backed Fenlon to the extent in which will allow him to put a team on the park to fight for SPL survival. No i haven't seen many of these players play before but they seem to come from a decent background and if the are good enough for Fenlon then they are good enough for me :thumbsup:

HibsMax
01-02-2012, 01:26 PM
We sign some new players who havent kicked a ball in anger yet and all is forgiven...... :faf::faf::faf:

I don't think all is forgiven. People are simply congratulating the club for doing what seems like some good deals. Considering many people were suggesting the club wasn't doing anything, I think all concerned deserve a pat on the back for the efforts made. We can judge the players after a few games. This thread is about the non-playing staff.

Andy74
01-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Agree to all of the above:agree:

And Petrie has made many bad choices, no??????

Yes, perhaps in managers, but that's not really what people are saying is it?

If that's what people want to complain about then I might be there with them. The other stuff that is still consistently being brought up doesn't really stand up to much scrutiny.

Famous5forever
01-02-2012, 03:04 PM

GG

Fair play to the board on this one we are quick to point the finger when its not going right but this time they have done well.

Over to you now Paddy :pfgwa

Hibiza
01-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Here's to a new era.

Purehibee_MYB
01-02-2012, 03:24 PM
here, here!

The only way is up..

Next stop the quarter finals!!

:flag:

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-02-2012, 03:31 PM
How many more threads on well done Rod do we have to have?

:rolleyes:

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Cannae believe half of these posts bumming up the board, we've not even seen any of the players we have signed in the window yet, let's just see what happens first eh?

FFS :rolleyes:

Mikey_1875
01-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Cannae believe half of these posts bumming up the board, we've not even seen any of the players we have signed in the window yet, let's just see what happens first eh?

surely the quality of players brought in falls on the managers head and the board are getting praise for backing the manager to get these players in?

Andy74
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM

The board have done their bit, whether they are worth it is in the manager's responsibility.

I'm not sure why this is proving to be such a difficult concept on here, particularly as we've been pretty sharp in criticising said managers. CC deserved it of course, but if you think the board are responsible then maybe he should still be here.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2012, 03:46 PM

The board once again have backed the man they put in charge, as they always do. They dont always get the right man, but they back whoever it is, is this wrong?

ronaldo7
01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
The amount of players who we've had at Easter Road in the last 3 years has been almost yammish.

We need to get some stability and hopefully Paddy will be the man to do it.

Onwards and upwards, for the mighty Hibees:pfgwa

Saorsa
01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
The board have done their bit, whether they are worth it is in the manager's responsibility. I'm not sure why this is proving to be such a difficult concept on here, particularly as we've been pretty sharp in criticising said managers. CC deserved it of course, but if you think the board are responsible then maybe he should still be here.He was here longer than he should have been, they're responsible for that (I note you had plenty tae say about that but you're back in the fold now that he's gone). If he was emptied when he should have been we may not have been in this mess. I'm not sure why they should be congratulated for trying tae do something about a mess they presided over.

And why are folk congratulating Rod? I thought he had taken a back seat :wink: and others were doing the work.

sambajustice
01-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Is it not the board who have got us down there in the first place? Whats to be thankful for they are only doing their duty (for once). Like someone else said they've not even kicked a ball yet for Hibs! Time for everyone to hold their horses methinks!!

down the slope
01-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Spot on Doddie , So the masterplan is to lull other clubs into a false sense of security and then come the transfer window we show them what we are really made of !. I hope it works but the whole thing smacks of panic buying again and we have been down that road how many times and we are no further forward. Fair do's if it turns things round but it aint no way to run a football club.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Is it not the board who have got us down there in the first place? Whats to be thankful for they are only doing their duty (for once). Like someone else said they've not even kicked a ball yet for Hibs! Time for everyone to hold their horses methinks!!

:confused: For once, how many times have they failed to back the manager???????

ronaldo7
01-02-2012, 04:31 PM
:confused: For once, how many times have they failed to back the manager???????

They've always backed the Manager as much as they could, it's just we've had a few muppets in the post recently.

Cropley10
01-02-2012, 04:33 PM
I would really like to know how we went about picking up this group of players compared to the previous windows.

That would end all this debate. More playing lucky dip or lessons learned?

marinello59
01-02-2012, 04:35 PM

Quite right. Stuff letting any positive energy build up amongst the support and therefore the club in general. Let's continue to self indulgently wallow in misery and negativity. Torn faced whingers know what's going on. :agree:

ronaldo7
01-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I would really like to know how we went about picking up this group of players compared to the previous windows.

Friday meetings in the Auld Brig wi Nutsy, Broon, and O'Brien are laying the foundations:wink:

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2012, 04:37 PM
They've always backed the Manager as much as they could, it's just we've had a few muppets in the post recently.

:agree: You in Tamsons before Saturdays game pal, big Neil is coming up?

ronaldo7
01-02-2012, 04:40 PM
:agree: You in Tamsons before Saturdays game pal, big Neil is coming up?

Bears is woods ring a bell:wink:

greenlex
01-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Took the blindfold off so we could seewhere the donkeys ass was. Probably.

Ray_
01-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Sums up the situation perfectly.

From the night that Rob Jones and his possee rang Petrie's doorbell, things have gone from bad to worse.

Whether we stay in the SPL or get relegated, Petrie should be a distant memory by the start of next season.

:pray:

I would say it may have happened before then, when players were requesting the pay rises they had said they were promised, which despite the cup win, signalled unrest & declining performances.

It could be total rubbish of course & invented by an agent trying to engineer a move for his clients, but what almost always comes to the fore, there is two sides of the coin and we very rarely get to the truth.

I'm very impressed by the fact that PF & BB has identified so many weaknesses and supported by the board, they have acted as ruthlessly as they did.

Mikey
01-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Can't we just get on with looking forward and supporting the team?

We've got a game on Saturday. Let's all go :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Bears is woods ring a bell:wink:

:aok:

Cropley10
01-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Friday meetings in the Auld Brig wi Nutsy, Broon, and O'Brien are laying the foundations:wink:

Well I certainly believe we've got real live-and-breath football people in charge now. The speed at which some have been shipped out speaks volumes.

Captain Trips
01-02-2012, 05:43 PM
The board once again have backed the man they put in charge, as they always do. They dont always get the right man, but they back whoever it is, is this wrong?

No not wrong it is correct however I do not understand what he is being thanked for, PF has brought in some players as per his budget as I was expecting him to do. I will assume all the other directors of all other clubs also back their managers. Yes we have what appears to be a bigger budget than most and thats good but unless that has been increased or we have spent a big fee on a transfer which nobody has suggested we have then it is normal business within the set budget so whats to thank him for? We have had this 4th biggest budget for a while and the managers havent used it correctly, so PF uses some of this budget and RP is hailed bit strange IMO.

If any of these players are good or bad that is on PF as I think you have eluded to BH. This window says nothing new to me about board this is all 100% on PF we are now going to see what he has to offer us. I am hopefull he has done well.

erskine-hibby
01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Petrie brings in the managers he thinks we can afford (how many 100's of applications have we had over the years??). He also only backs the managers as far as his budgets are set. How do we know who the previous managers 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choices were that were poo pood by him?????
It is selective backing at best, or in JC's case seriously under minding him.

Ok we have to live within our means, this I understand, but some people think that he is always 100% behind the managers, but this is clearly not true and he will always make decisions that will deflect, or pass on, any criticism away from himself.

HibsMax
01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
No not wrong it is correct however I do not understand what he is being thanked for, PF has brought in some players as per his budget as I was expecting him to do. I will assume all the other directors of all other clubs also back their managers. Yes we have what appears to be a bigger budget than most and thats good but unless that has been increased or we have spent a big fee on a transfer which nobody has suggested we have then it is normal business within the set budget so whats to thank him for? We have had this 4th biggest budget for a while and the managers havent used it correctly, so PF uses some of this budget and RP is hailed bit strange IMO.

If any of these players are good or bad that is on PF as I think you have eluded to BH. This window says nothing new to me about board this is all 100% on PF we are now going to see what he has to offer us. I am hopefull he has done well.

I think that board are just being congratulated in general. When you consider some of the posts that were made about our lack of signings before the window even closed, I think a little back patting is not out of place.

People on here are quick enough to jump all over the players / the board / other fans at the drop of a hat. We've just finished what looks like a pretty decent transfer window and so some people are feeling optimistic and are being more positive with their outlook. Not everyone is though, mind you. Of course we need to see how these signings pan out but that's the next step. Can we not be happy about step one being completed successfully? I say "successfully" not in terms of player quality or ability but in terms of addressing the areas that need bolstering. This does not mean all is forgiven for the last 4 or 5 years but it seems like a damn good attempt to get us back on an even keel (IMO). For that I am thankful.

spike220
01-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I have never heard so much negative BS in all my life.

The hibs club shop would do a roaring trade selling sandwich board signs (in Hibs colours if course) with the message the "the end is nigh" painted on them.

We dont need any oppostion on saturaday when we have so many people within the Hibs 'support' want to derail any small amount of encouragemnet and feelgood factor that we can muster.

And dont give me that its because we care so much we so negative pish!! Get a grip people we are battling to stay in the SPL and battling to stay financially viable in this current climate

If you cant stand the fact that we might even offer the team other fans and the board a wee bit of congratultions for some good activity durring the window then get your ar$e$ over to kickback. You find yourself in good company with bitter professional wallowers.

GGTTH

Baldy Foghorn
01-02-2012, 07:56 PM
I have never heard so much negative BS in all my life.

The hibs club shop would do a roaring trade selling sandwich board signs (in Hibs colours if course) with the message the "the end is nigh" painted on them.

We dont need any oppostion on saturaday when we have so many people within the Hibs 'support' want to derail any small amount of encouragemnet and feelgood factor that we can muster.

And dont give me that its because we care so much we so negative pish!! Get a grip people we are battling to stay in the SPL and battling to stay financially viable in this current climate

If you cant stand the fact that we might even offer the team other fans and the board a wee bit of congratultions for some good activity durring the window then get your ar$e$ over to kickback. You find yourself in good company with bitter professional wallowers.

GGTTH

Spot on, window over, players in players out, time for us all to pull together and CHEER the team, it might even be enjoyable:cb

Kaiser1962
01-02-2012, 07:57 PM
I would say it may have happened before then, when players were requesting the pay rises they had said they were promised, which despite the cup win, signalled unrest & declining performances.

It could be total rubbish of course & invented by an agent trying to engineer a move for his clients, but what almost always comes to the fore, there is two sides of the coin and we very rarely get to the truth.

I'm very impressed by the fact that PF & BB has identified so many weaknesses and supported by the board, they have acted as ruthlessly as they did.

Thats the key bit for me Ray, no fannying about. The timing of it as well would suggest that some degree of planning went into it that it pretty much amounted to a cull.

The board have done much of what they usually do but the difference this time is the manager has been "ruthless" in the execution of his plans. I understand there are a further three players that we didnt get but will return for in the summer so here's hoping.

Captain Trips
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I think that board are just being congratulated in general. When you consider some of the posts that were made about our lack of signings before the window even closed, I think a little back patting is not out of place.

People on here are quick enough to jump all over the players / the board / other fans at the drop of a hat. We've just finished what looks like a pretty decent transfer window and so some people are feeling optimistic and are being more positive with their outlook. Not everyone is though, mind you. Of course we need to see how these signings pan out but that's the next step. Can we not be happy about step one being completed successfully? I say "successfully" not in terms of player quality or ability but in terms of addressing the areas that need bolstering. This does not mean all is forgiven for the last 4 or 5 years but it seems like a damn good attempt to get us back on an even keel (IMO). For that I am thankful.

I havent said not more optomistic I just do not feel the board have done anything other than let PF use up some of his budget which is what they are supposed to do,, for me this window is all about PF.

sahib
01-02-2012, 09:07 PM

Seems a very eclectic selection.

RIP
01-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Hopefully this will be the Board's final sojourn along the failed strategy they've adopted the past 4 years.

I sincerely hope it works this time and they prove to us that all you need to do is keep changing the manager every year (who in turn changes the squad every year) to eventually end up with a fit, well-disciplined, settled, winning side.

GGTTH :flag:

greenlex
02-02-2012, 08:58 AM
I havent said not more optomistic I just do not feel the board have done anything other than let PF use up some of his budget which is what they are supposed to do,, for me this window is all about PF.

There will be a whole lot more than the budget used up. 8 new players half way through a season and almost as many pay offs. There will be an amount of borrowing done to finance this on top of the certain losses racked up this year on top of last years losses. Its a pity things didn't kick on with the last two managers but fingers crossed Pat can do it as it has certainly cost us dear.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 09:04 AM
There will be a whole lot more than the budget used up. 8 new players half way through a season and almost as many pay offs. There will be an amount of borrowing done to finance this on top of the certain losses racked up this year on top of last years losses. Its a pity things didn't kick on with the last two managers but fingers crossed Pat can do it as it has certainly cost us dear.

Yes but that is assumimg it was alreadt maxed out, I think we are still within things but none of us know, we let a lot of folk leave also so I would say at this juncture we are still using same budget as normal.

greenlex
02-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Yes but that is assumimg it was alreadt maxed out, I think we are still within things but none of us know, we let a lot of folk leave also so I would say at this juncture we are still using same budget as normal.
:agree: but spent a **** load more.

Andy74
02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Hopefully this will be the Board's final sojourn along the failed strategy they've adopted the past 4 years.

I sincerely hope it works this time and they prove to us that all you need to do is keep changing the manager every year (who in turn changes the squad every year) to eventually end up with a fit, well-disciplined, settled, winning side.

GGTTH :flag:

You think that changing managers and the team every year is a strategy?

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
:agree: but spent a **** load more.

Everything is in wages and as I said with all we let go then I see a balance, there may be loan fees that eat into budget but as I said I do not think the full amount of what we can spend in budget has been taken over the max. So that is why I do not really understand why board are getting so much credit.

I certainly would not be thanking the board that due to there previous mistakes PF is having to bring in loans at the 11th hour to try an save our season rather than bringing in the odd player for a final push of respectability. Wasted season with wasted loan fees and wages that was totally avoidable.

--------
02-02-2012, 11:14 AM
I am amazed at the number of people apparently content that the bulk of our first-team squad is now made up of end-of-season loanees and players on short-term contracts extending no farther than the end of next season (May 2013) - with our manager on a contract that expires at the end of the following season (May 2014).

If I drove my car in accordance with those principles of foresight and forward planning, I'd be dead long ago.

Ray_
02-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I am amazed at the number of people apparently content that the bulk of our first-team squad is now made up of end-of-season loanees and players on short-term contracts extending no farther than the end of next season (May 2013) - with our manager on a contract that expires at the end of the following season (May 2014).

If I drove my car in accordance with those principles of foresight and forward planning, I'd be dead long ago.

Loved your earlier post Doddie, very true and very eloquently put. With regard to this one, PF has to start somewhere, hopefully he has made enough short term measures to keep us up & the real work will commence in the summer, from then we can judge both the true extent of his talent & the level of backing he gets.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Yeah, talk of PF needing 2yrs has been common I would agree a manager needs time but we really need to start seeing some signings made that will be giving more than 18mths which could be as little as 12mths with pre contracts.

If it is 18mths and 12mths we continue with we will once again be looking for another manager sooner rather than later I said this with CC I do not want this to be same with PF, no matter how hard it is we need to bring in players of quality for longer, when they are doing that maybe then it is time for credit.

I will give PF the time that he gives the players on contracts at the moment in terms of non loans thats averaging 18mths, game needs stepped up in summer.

Peevemor
02-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Everything is in wages and as I said with all we let go then I see a balance, there may be loan fees that eat into budget but as I said I do not think the full amount of what we can spend in budget has been taken over the max. So that is why I do not really understand why board are getting so much credit.

I certainly would not be thanking the board that due to there previous mistakes PF is having to bring in loans at the 11th hour to try an save our season rather than bringing in the odd player for a final push of respectability. Wasted season with wasted loan fees and wages that was totally avoidable.

Don't kid yourself - the board have dug deep and without a sudden upsurge in attendances and/or maybe a good run in the cup, STF will be sticking in another million or two this season.

The club have brought in 8 new players and released 5 (I think) from the first team squad. Even if, for the sake of argument, we say that the 8 players earn the same as the 5 that were released, the club still had to buy out the contracts of those that were emptied. In addition, Hibs reportedly made bids to buy other players but to no avail.

The board allowed the manager to bring in a lot of new faces as either replacements or competition for almost every position. They could have easily told Fenlon - "OK - 5 out, 5 in", or even that it was up to him to move players on (ie. not buying out their contracts) before he could bring anyone in. They didn't.

The board are backing Fenlon to the hilt and for that they deserve credit.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Don't kid yourself - the board have dug deep and without a sudden upsurge in attendances and/or maybe a good run in the cup, STF will be sticking in another million or two this season.

The club have brought in 8 new players and released 5 (I think) from the first team squad. Even if, for the sake of argument, we say that the 8 players earn the same as the 5 that were released, the club still had to buy out the contracts of those that were emptied. In addition, Hibs reportedly made bids to buy other players but to no avail.

The board allowed the manager to bring in a lot of new faces as either replacements or competition for almost every position. They could have easily told Fenlon - "OK - 5 out, 5 in", or even that it was up to him to move players on (ie. not buying out their contracts) before he could bring anyone in. They didn't.

The board are backing Fenlon to the hilt and for that they deserve credit.

This is all assumption about digging deep as is what I have said also, and as I said what of players he wanted but didnt get? they are supposed to back him just like players are supposed to try so sorry any credit for any good players in this window is down to PF and his contacts. So kind for the board to allow the manager to bring in new faces just like every other clubs board seemed to do allow manager to bring in players. Hibs have a budget manager used it no biggy really. If we had got the folk we didnt manage to get then yeah we are definatly going outwith comfort zone we didnt though we got in some players to see us until June, no reason at all with any of the business done to be thanking anyone.

Backed to hilt would mean Goodwin was a player for us, he isnt.

Jay
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM

I'd be surprised if anybody is content with it Doddie but accept its probably been more of a case of needs must. First priority had to be bringing in players to give us a chance of avoiding relegation. Jan transfer window is notoriously bad for getting in players so it could be that we actually did well in getting what we did - only time will tell. I presume during the discussions of loans, future permanant transfers would have been discussed. Maybe they were scared of buying a pig in a poke again. :greengrin

I think most of us know this is a very short respite and a new squad has to be built again in the summer. Never a dull moment eh?:wink:

--------
02-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Loved your earlier post Doddie, very true and very eloquently put. With regard to this one, PF has to start somewhere, hopefully he has made enough short term measures to keep us up & the real work will commence in the summer, from then we can judge both the true extent of his talent & the level of backing he gets.

I'm not actually complaining that we've got these guys in - we need them, desperately, NOW, and we need them to start playing as a team ASAP. And I DO think Paddy F knows what he's about.

But Farmer and Petrie and the Board they appointed have got Hibs in the position where short-term solutions have become the norm. Right now, we're 'stable' for the next 2 years, 5 months - which actually means ONE year, 5 months, since if Paddy does a decent job next season the word will be out that he's going somewhere else - and we all know how well our high-heid yins fought off bids for the few managers we've had actually capable of doing the job. This isn't a definition of 'stability' I find in my dictionary.

Quite how anyone can consider that we've 'turned the corner' escapes me. We may be a bit farther up a very long straight, but whether we're about to safely negotiate a corner or immolate ourselves in a pile-up against a dead-end blank wall remains to be seen.

And the only people who can influence THAT scenario are Farmer and Petrie - a thought which somehow fails to fill me with very much confidence, frankly. :rolleyes:

--------
02-02-2012, 11:39 AM
I'd be surprised if anybody is content with it Doddie but accept its probably been more of a case of needs must. First priority had to be bringing in players to give us a chance of avoiding relegation. Jan transfer window is notoriously bad for getting in players so it could be that we actually did well in getting what we did - only time will tell. I presume during the discussions of loans, future permanant transfers would have been discussed. Maybe they were scared of buying a pig in a poke again. :greengrin

I think most of us know this is a very short respite and a new squad has to be built again in the summer. Never a dull moment eh?:wink:

Jill, I'd LOVE to believe that some of these guys are already thinking of signing extended contracts. Truly, I'd LOVE to. But call me cynical, call me distrustful - I DON'T. I doubt Farmer and Petrie are thinking one minute beyond the end of the season.

As for 'pigs in pokes', I'd say that the board's shenanigans of the past few years are more likely to have put players off signing extended contracts with Hibs than the other way round.

Pardon my indelicacy to a lady, but see Doddie's Rule 13 for Hibs Supporters - Always keep your back to the wall, because sooner or later the Board will try to screw you.

50 years experience, Jill. :cb

Ray_
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm not actually complaining that we've got these guys in - we need them, desperately, NOW, and we need them to start playing as a team ASAP. And I DO think Paddy F knows what he's about.

But Farmer and Petrie and the Board they appointed have got Hibs in the position where short-term solutions have become the norm. Right now, we're 'stable' for the next 2 years, 5 months - which actually means ONE year, 5 months, since if Paddy does a decent job next season the word will be out that he's going somewhere else - and we all know how well our high-heid yins fought off bids for the few managers we've had actually capable of doing the job. This isn't a definition of 'stability' I find in my dictionary.

Quite how anyone can consider that we've 'turned the corner' escapes me. We may be a bit farther up a very long straight, but whether we're about to safely negotiate a corner or immolate ourselves in a pile-up against a dead-end blank wall remains to be seen.

And the only people who can influence THAT scenario are Farmer and Petrie - a thought which somehow fails to fill me with very much confidence, frankly. :rolleyes:

We are in a bit of a catch 22 there though, if PF turned out to anywhere near as bad as the last three choices we would have faced massive compensation to remove him from the post. I like PF & get the same sort of feel about him as I did when I first heard TM, if things are going well & he is building well for that future we all want, we need to ensure, as a club, that we do our best to make him part of that future.

Going back to the old argument, I still have & always will believe that the managers job is the most important at a football club, hopefully its a lesson Petrie & Co has learnt and will act accordingly, but given their track record, I'd certainly not put my house on it.

Jay
02-02-2012, 11:45 AM

It would be interesting to see the stats on other clubs though Doddie - I havent looked into it but from what I hear short term contracts seems to be the norm across the board these days.

I dont really know what people want from Petrie and Farmer to be honest. A new manager was appointed, one I am sure they thought was best the best man for the job, and they have financially backed him in a transfer windows only a few short weeks after he arrived. How many players did other bottom six teams bring in?

marinello59
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
But Farmer and Petrie and the Board they appointed have got Hibs in the position where short-term solutions have become the norm.

Pat Fenlon signalled before the transfer window that he would be mainly taking in players on short term deals or loans as it is so difficult to do business in the January window. That sugggests to me that the Summer window will see players coming in on a more permanent basis. In saying that though do you really believe we are going to go back to the days of decent experienced players signing deals for three or four years with Hibs? We are a stepping stone to the Old Firm and the Old Firm are a stepping stone to the English leagues, that's the reality.

Jay
02-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Jill, I'd LOVE to believe that some of these guys are already thinking of signing extended contracts. Truly, I'd LOVE to. But call me cynical, call me distrustful - I DON'T. I doubt Farmer and Petrie are thinking one minute beyond the end of the season.

As for 'pigs in pokes', I'd say that the board's shenanigans of the past few years are more likely to have put players off signing extended contracts with Hibs than the other way round.

Pardon my indelicacy to a lady, but see Doddie's Rule 13 for Hibs Supporters - Always keep your back to the wall, because sooner or later the Board will try to screw you.

I dont think they will be either but dont believe Petrie and Farmer didnt discuss it or have an option for us. Someone on this thread called them losers, one thing they are not and that is losers in their business and financial lilfe, they are shrewd businessmen.

I would like to quote a respected member of this board in my next part just as a wee refresher

I will try to be much less crabbit in the year ahead. Promise! :wink:

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 12:23 PM

Agree:agree:

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Pat Fenlon signalled before the transfer window that he would be mainly taking in players on short term deals or loans as it is so difficult to do business in the January window. That sugggests to me that the Summer window will see players coming in on a more permanent basis. In saying that though do you really believe we are going to go back to the days of decent experienced players signing deals for three or four years with Hibs? We are a stepping stone to the Old Firm and the Old Firm are a stepping stone to the English leagues, that's the reality.

Indeed it is the reality but it has always been that reality and we have always up until last few years bought players that have signed for 2+ years, if we do not sign up folk more permanently then I think we are going to stay in this position.

Peevemor
02-02-2012, 12:54 PM
This is all assumption about digging deep as is what I have said also, and as I said what of players he wanted but didnt get? they are supposed to back him just like players are supposed to try so sorry any credit for any good players in this window is down to PF and his contacts.

So the board get pelters for appointing (and backing) our recent dodgy managers, but don't deserve any for appointing PF or for the signings he makes? You can't have it all ways.

So kind for the board to allow the manager to bring in new faces just like every other clubs board seemed to do allow manager to bring in players.

Except Rangers and Hearts.

Hibs have a budget manager used it no biggy really.

As I said, I'm fairly certain that Hibs will have overspent this season.

If we had got the folk we didnt manage to get then yeah we are definatly going outwith comfort zone we didnt though we got in some players to see us until June, no reason at all with any of the business done to be thanking anyone.

Unless St Mirren wanted more than PF thought he was worth. We don't know.

marinello59
02-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Indeed it is the reality but it has always been that reality and we have always up until last few years bought players that have signed for 2+ years, if we do not sign up folk more permanently then I think we are going to stay in this position.

:confused:

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 01:12 PM
So the board get pelters for appointing (and backing) our recent dodgy managers, but don't deserve any for appointing PF or for the signings he makes? You can't have it all ways.

Except Rangers and Hearts.

As I said, I'm fairly certain that Hibs will have overspent this season.

Unless St Mirren wanted more than PF thought he was worth. We don't know.

I will certainly give them credit for PF though I think to say he is going to do well and thank them now is to early, they backed all their last managers and this one as that is what they are supposed to do.

Peevemor
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
I will certainly give them credit for PF though I think to say he is going to do well and thank them now is to early, they backed all their last managers and this one as that is what they are supposed to do.

So what are you moaning about then?

Beefster
02-02-2012, 01:22 PM
but don't deserve any for appointing PF

What's Fenlon done to justify crediting the Board for his appointment so soon?

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 01:22 PM
So what are you moaning about then?

I am saying they do not deserve any credit for it as they seem to be getting hailed that something special is getting done, all that has been done is we have brought in some players and let some go so they havent done anything worthy of credit. If maybe we got Goodwin or paid a fee or two this window then ok fair enough the board have taken a risk with manager and money, they havent we have signed some loans.

If these players work out the credit for me is for PF.

Peevemor
02-02-2012, 01:25 PM
What's Fenlon done to justify crediting the Board for his appointment so soon?

Good selective quoting there. :aok:

Where did I say he's done anything?

Peevemor
02-02-2012, 01:38 PM
I am saying they do not deserve any credit for it as they seem to be getting hailed that something special is getting done, all that has been done is we have brought in some players and let some go so they havent done anything worthy of credit. If maybe we got Goodwin or paid a fee or two this window then ok fair enough the board have taken a risk with manager and money, they havent we have signed some loans.

So if these players work out it's down to PF, but if they don't then it's the board's fault?

Seems fair to me. :Ummm:

Beefster
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Good selective quoting there. :aok:

Where did I say he's done anything?

I didn't think that taking the bit in question changed its meaning but maybe I'm wrong.

You seemed to suggest that they deserve credit for appointing Fenlon (in addition to other stuff). I was just wondering why.

Lucius Apuleius
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
So if these players work out it's down to PF, but if they don't then it's the board's fault?

:agree: Seems to be most people's argument so must be true. :greengrin

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 01:59 PM

Where did I say that? If these players fail firstly it is managers fault, if it was to continue on then it would appear that they had wrong manager then they would take responsability along with manager, if it goes well then the board and manager get credit and praise.

Week in week out if team does well I believe at every club the players and manager get the credit and the board are just seen as doing job, if the success is pro longed then along with the team and manager the board wil be praised. Unfortunatly the environment they are in the credit takes a lot longer to build up than the more negative views.

To give the board credit for letting manager bring in mostly loans to me is ridiculous. There job is to make sure PF is right man and he gets in the players he wants, once that is apparent then it is time for them to get credit and that will take time we will not know for a while if PF is right man.

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Agreed..........assuming the players we got are his targets. ;)

You said that you feel the board have done nothing, then go on to say something that the board has done. That IS something. I am sure, if they wanted to, they could have prevented any of these signings from going through.

The irony here is that some people think the board are stingy and don't back the managers where in reality they HAVE backed the manager. Here they are backing the manager again. But why get a little excited about that?

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:23 PM
With all due respect, unless you have some insider information (?) you have no idea what you're talking about. If you do, please tell me what the budget was and how much of that Pat used.

I certainly would not be thaning the board that due to there previous mistakes PF is having to bring in loans at the 11th hour to try an save our season rather than bringing in the odd player for a final push of respectability. Wasted season with wasted loan fees and wages that was totally avoidable.
So let me get this straight, you wouldn't thank the board for trying to make good on previous mistakes? Tough crowd. I think almost everyone realises the state that Hibs are in and if we have to pinpoint ONE problem then it's been with the managers' ability to assemble a team that performs to our expectations. Since the manager is selected by the board the buck stops with them. So we give the board stick for appointing the wrong man / men. People seem to like PF and think he's doing a good job so far. He's had one window and brought in a bunch of players with the board's backing. But still you won't thank them. I am not suggesting anyone sends them a box of chocolates and a bouquet but the work done this window deserves some acknowledgement. Personally speaking, I would rather celebrate a new beginning than continue to bleat on about how we shouldn't be in this position in the first place.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Agreed..........assuming the players we got are his targets. ;)

You said that you feel the board have done nothing, then go on to say something that the board has done. That IS something. I am sure, if they wanted to, they could have prevented any of these signings from going through.

The irony here is that some people think the board are stingy and don't back the managers where in reality they HAVE backed the manager. Here they are backing the manager again. But why get a little excited about that?

What the board have done is let the manager use his budget as they are supposed to, I do not really call that doing anything other than their job to get given credit.

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Baby steps. Unless you have a few million lying around to invest in the team?

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Yeah, talk of PF needing 2yrs has been common I would agree a manager needs time but we really need to start seeing some signings made that will be giving more than 18mths which could be as little as 12mths with pre contracts.

If it is 18mths and 12mths we continue with we will once again be looking for another manager sooner rather than later I said this with CC I do not want this to be same with PF, no matter how hard it is we need to bring in players of quality for longer, when they are doing that maybe then it is time for credit.

I will give PF the time that he gives the players on contracts at the moment in terms of non loans thats averaging 18mths, game needs stepped up in summer.

What if players won't commit to Hibs on longer, permanent deals? I am sure if we could get players signed up on deals like this we would but given out current position I think we have to accept what we can get.

I said this during previous windows - what Hibs want and what Hibs can get are two totally different things.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
What if players won't commit to Hibs on longer, permanent deals? I am sure if we could get players signed up on deals like this we would but given out current position I think we have to accept what we can get.

I said this during previous windows - what Hibs want and what Hibs can get are two totally different things.

I accept that and have said so, I was meaning that for summer, unfortunatly as you agree our position dictates what sort of deals we can get as much as I dislike it I fully understand it.

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
This is all assumption about digging deep as is what I have said also, and as I said what of players he wanted but didnt get? they are supposed to back him just like players are supposed to try so sorry any credit for any good players in this window is down to PF and his contacts. So kind for the board to allow the manager to bring in new faces just like every other clubs board seemed to do allow manager to bring in players. Hibs have a budget manager used it no biggy really. If we had got the folk we didnt manage to get then yeah we are definatly going outwith comfort zone we didnt though we got in some players to see us until June, no reason at all with any of the business done to be thanking anyone.

PF does deserve credit too. This is not about who deserves it and who doesn't, or who deserves most.....can't we be happy with all of them?

I don't think every football club's board backs the manager to the hilt as you imply.

Do we know why Goodwin didn't sign? Was there a quote somewhere? Were we outbid by St. Mirren or is this just more negative speculation?

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:34 PM

"farther up a long straight", "turned a corner". Let's not mix idioms here, they basically amount to the same thing.

I personally don't know if we've turned a corner and I haven't read any posts by anyone who thinks that either. That would be a foolish statement to make having not seen the new-look Hibs team kick a single ball. People just feel good about the transfer window IMO. And they're getting :rolleyes: for feeling that way.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
With all due respect, unless you have some insider information (?) you have no idea what you're talking about. If you do, please tell me what the budget was and how much of that Pat used.

So let me get this straight, you wouldn't thank the board for trying to make good on previous mistakes? Tough crowd. I think almost everyone realises the state that Hibs are in and if we have to pinpoint ONE problem then it's been with the managers' ability to assemble a team that performs to our expectations. Since the manager is selected by the board the buck stops with them. So we give the board stick for appointing the wrong man / men. People seem to like PF and think he's doing a good job so far. He's had one window and brought in a bunch of players with the board's backing. But still you won't thank them. I am not suggesting anyone sends them a box of chocolates and a bouquet but the work done this window deserves some acknowledgement. Personally speaking, I would rather celebrate a new beginning than continue to bleat on about how we shouldn't be in this position in the first place.

Why would I thank the board for replacing a manager it is not like it is choice to have one or not, I will thank them once it is clear that it isnt a mistake. I am not saying anything about position I was saying in this thread I do not think they deserve credit for doing their job is all.

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:38 PM

If the underlined bit is true I would be disgusted. I obviously don't know what is going on behind closed doors but I would assume they have plans and roadmaps already in place for every eventuality e.g., we get relegated, we stay up (but barely), we go on a rampage and break into the Top Six, etc. By all accounts the men in charge are business men (and are often slated for it) so to think that they don't know what the plans are beyond the end of this season is, to me, unimaginable (which doesn't make it untrue).

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 02:39 PM
PF does deserve credit too. This is not about who deserves it and who doesn't, or who deserves most.....can't we be happy with all of them?

I don't think every football club's board backs the manager to the hilt as you imply.

Do we know why Goodwin didn't sign? Was there a quote somewhere? Were we outbid by St. Mirren or is this just more negative speculation?

First part in bold: That suits your point as we have no proof, I can say opposite but I have no proof either.

2nd part: I do not know for certain, some posters with good sources suggested we did not offer enough but again no proof.

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Where is all this hailing going on?

Why do you believe that Goodwin will be better than the signings we did make?

Are players on loan free?

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:45 PM
What the board have done is let the manager use his budget as they are supposed to, I do not really call that doing anything other than their job to get given credit.

What if the board gave PF a budget of 0.00? Rhetorical question as we won't see eye to eye on this. I think that January was a month that we will look back upon and think, "Thank **** for that!". I could be wrong, nobody knows, but I will continue to be positive while others try to piss on my parade. :D

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I accept that and have said so, I was meaning that for summer, unfortunatly as you agree our position dictates what sort of deals we can get as much as I dislike it I fully understand it.

On this we can agree. This is what I see happening BEFORE the summer:
1. we will be scouting for new players,
2. we will be reviewing our own young talent and determining who is ready for the next step,
3. we will be reviewing the January loan signings and, if they are doing a job for us, negotiate with the player/team and see if a permanent deal can be reached

Then when we get to the Summer window we should hit the ground running. We will know exactly what players we need. We will know exactly which players in our current squad can fill those needs and we will know which players are surplus to requirements.

If the pre-summer break work is not completed, or even started, then the summer transfer window could be just as exciting as this one. I'm hoping that Hibs are well prepared.

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Why would I thank the board for replacing a manager it is not like it is choice to have one or not, I will thank them once it is clear that it isnt a mistake. I am not saying anything about position I was saying in this thread I do not think they deserve credit for doing their job is all.

Fair enough, I think differently than you about this.

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 02:52 PM
First part in bold: That suits your point as we have no proof, I can say opposite but I have no proof either.

2nd part: I do not know for certain, some posters with good sources suggested we did not offer enough but again no proof.

Rangers didn't get the PitBull. Is that not evidence for the 1st part?

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 02:55 PM
2. we will be reviewing our own young talent and determining who is ready for the next step,
3. we will be reviewing the January loan signings and, if they are doing a job for us, negotiate with the player/team and see if a permanent deal can be reached

Then when we get to the Summer window we should hit the ground running. We will know exactly what players we need. We will know exactly which players in our current squad can fill those needs and we will know which players are surplus to requirements.

If the pre-summer break work is not completed, or even started, then the summer transfer window could be just as exciting as this one. I'm hoping that Hibs are well prepared.

I agree Max very much with this, the summer window eclipses most over last few years, points 1,2 and 3 are exactly the route we are hopefully going down. Point 3 I would get done asap if it is apparent we have a player or two.

WhileTheChief..
02-02-2012, 06:07 PM

Totally agree with this.

If you get a chance you should check out PFs interview on the transfers. He explains in detail why he signed each player and talks frankly about our situation and what's required in the short term. He's definitely a man with a plan.

The more I hear from him the more I think he will be a tremendous manager for us.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Totally agree with this.

If you get a chance you should check out PFs interview on the transfers. He explains in detail why he signed each player and talks frankly about our situation and what's required in the short term. He's definitely a man with a plan.

The more I hear from him the more I think he will be a tremendous manager for us.

He is everything in his interviews that Calderwood wasnt, at least we appear to have a real manager with passion.

Peevemor
02-02-2012, 06:18 PM
I didn't think that taking the bit in question changed its meaning but maybe I'm wrong.

You seemed to suggest that they deserve credit for appointing Fenlon (in addition to other stuff). I was just wondering why.

Carslberg said that if the recent signings turned out to be any good, then credit would be due to PF and not the board. I responded to this, that's all.

I like the way that PF seems to be going about things but, like avryone else, I'll wait and see how it pans out.

Peevemor
02-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Where did I say that?

Here.

HibsMax
02-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I agree Max very much with this, the summer window eclipses most over last few years, points 1,2 and 3 are exactly the route we are hopefully going down. Point 3 I would get done asap if it is apparent we have a player or two.

I actually hope that Hibs have spoken to these players about the possibility of a permanent deal IF both parties are interested. I read a link, one of many posted on here on the 31st, that mentioned the lad that just came from Wolves said he was hoping to do enough to get himself in the first team with Wolves...........which, to me, implies he has no interest in being here for the long haul. But who knows what might happen between now and then?

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Here.

Where in that quote did I say if they do not work out it is the boards fault? It is PFs fault if they do not work and as stated if works PF gets credit, the board get credit for the long game not every single thing manager does at this early stage.

Your statement "So if these players work out it's down to PF, but if they don't then it's the board's fault?
Seems fair to me."

At no point did I say that.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 06:30 PM
I actually hope that Hibs have spoken to these players about the possibility of a permanent deal IF both parties are interested. I read a link, one of many posted on here on the 31st, that mentioned the lad that just came from Wolves said he was hoping to do enough to get himself in the first team with Wolves...........which, to me, implies he has no interest in being here for the long haul. But who knows what might happen between now and then?

Usually you here on loan with view to a permanent, I havent heard this so assume all the players will go at end of loans but this is at start of their period things as you say could change and some may decide this is for them.

Baldy Foghorn
02-02-2012, 06:49 PM
He is everything in his interviews that Calderwood wasnt, at least we appear to have a real manager with passion.

:agree::agree:

PF looks like he at least knows what he is doing, unlike CC

blackpoolhibs
02-02-2012, 06:51 PM
:agree::agree:

PF looks like he at least knows what he is doing, unlike CC

He at least cares, and thats 1 up on clueless.

Baldy Foghorn
02-02-2012, 07:06 PM
He at least cares, and thats 1 up on clueless.

Yip they are poles apart on that front......

iain nolan
02-02-2012, 07:48 PM
It was good to see the manager bring in much needed new players in the transfer window . And the Board has given our new manager some backing as we try to get up the league . Lets not forget that the board also backed Calderwood when he joined the club to rebuild the team .
As fans we sometimes forget about keeping the clubs balance sheet in good order we only have to look over to Glasgow and see what going on there. Players being sold to save the club and no money for players . Lets not forget we been there remember HANDS OFF HIBS .
So lets all get togther and back the team:flag:

glenberviehibee
02-02-2012, 08:57 PM
It was good to see the manager bring in much needed new players in the transfer window . And the Board has given our new manager some backing as we try to get up the league . Lets not forget that the board also backed Calderwood when he joined the club to rebuild the team .
As fans we sometimes forget about keeping the clubs balance sheet in good order we only have to look over to Glasgow and see what going on there. Players being sold to save the club and no money for players . Lets not forget we been there remember HANDS OFF HIBS .
So lets all get togther and back the team:flag:

well said Iain lets back the team

Dinkydoo
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
deleted post

Dinkydoo
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Your statement "So if these players work out it's down to PF, but if they don't then it's the board's fault?
Seems fair to me."

At no point did I say that.

Well, you're basically saying that the board deserve no praise because we have only got new players on loan, yet of they work out, PF should get the credit.

Your logic seems a bit flawed to me (and others, obviously).

If maybe we got Goodwin or paid a fee or two this window then ok fair enough the board have taken a risk with manager and money, they havent we have signed some loans.

So if the board had splashed the cash then they might deserve a little credit for taking "a risk with manager and money".

but if the players on loan turn out to be any good, who you seem to be not crediting the board for - simply because we haven't paid a fee for them - then Fenlon gets the praise......

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Here...,,.

So if the board had splashed the cash then they might deserve a little credit for taking "a risk with manager and money".

but if the players on loan turn out to be any good, who you seem to be not crediting the board for - simply because we haven't paid a fee for them - then Fenlon gets the praise......

Errr no.....

First point, if board had got in a few of Pats targets and fees were needed regardless of how they played I would say good on them for taking risk with Pat. Your 2nd point IMO all the board have done is their job normally so Fenlon gets praise once they work out hopefully.

Fenlon for me will get praise or not for signing these players regardless if we spent zero or 10m. Giving the board praise has nothing to do with the players ability it is to do with what they have done or did, all I see they have done is do there job as normal so no real need to thank them.

Eyrie
02-02-2012, 09:48 PM
The players that left will have required termination payments approaching the value of their remaining contract. After that there would be little left in the original budget to pay wages and loan fees for the new arrivals.

Therefore the board have authorised an increase in the playing budget to support Fenlon's moves, which is why they get some credit.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 09:52 PM
The players that left will have required termination payments approaching the value of their remaining contract. After that there would be little left in the original budget to pay wages and loan fees for the new arrivals.

Therefore the board have authorised an increase in the playing budget to support Fenlon's moves, which is why they get some credit.

I agree some players may have had to be paid off but can I ask how you know it increased the playing budget? How do we know what was left in that budget before window?

greenlex
02-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Pages and pages of pish. That is all.

Captain Trips
02-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Back in the day I was even doing it.......

Petrie (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?164833-Thanks-Mr-Petrie&highlight=Petrie)

--------
02-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Baby steps. Unless you have a few million lying around to invest in the team?

My concern is that we've been caught in a vicious downwards spiral in which managers have been appointed, stayed for (on average) 15 months, and then departed, leaving the next guy to start all over again - with baby steps. This is down to the board, and particularly Rod Petrie - the man whom the owner Tom Farmer considers is the very best chairman this club could possibly have. This makes me very uneasy.

However, we HAVE signed these guys, even if they've come on short-term deals. If Paddy's judgement proves to be sound (and I do tend to think it will) we should have a steadier back four and a stronger midfield for the rest of the League campaign (Cup-ties as always will be a bonus) and SPL survival should be secured. Then PF will have the time and opportunity to strengthen the side over the longer term.

A defensive back line of Francom, Doherty, McPake and Kujabi looks a lot less fragile than Hart, O'Hanlon, Stephens and Hanlon, not least because they're all playing in a position they've trained to fill. Claros and Ozzy as the midfield core feels good, as do Wotherspoon and Booth in the wide berths. And a choice of two from O'Connor, Doyle, and Griffiths isn't a bad choice to have to make. With Stack back in goal, we MIGHT just have the beginnings of a team there ...

greenlex
02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
My concern is that we've been caught in a vicious downwards spiral in which managers have been appointed, stayed for (on average) 15 months, and then departed, leaving the next guy to start all over again - with baby steps. This is down to the board, and particularly Rod Petrie - the man whom the owner Tom Farmer considers is the very best chairman this club could possibly have. This makes me very uneasy.

However, we HAVE signed these guys, even if they've come on short-term deals. If Paddy's judgement proves to be sound (and I do tend to think it will) we should have a steadier back four and a stronger midfield for the rest of the League campaign (Cup-ties as always will be a bonus) and SPL survival should be secured. Then PF will have the time and opportunity to strengthen the side over the longer term.

A defensive back line of Francom, Doherty, McPake and Kujabi looks a lot less fragile than Hart, O'Hanlon, Stephens and Hanlon, not least because they're all playing in a position they've trained to fill. Claros and Ozzy as the midfield core feels good, as do Wotherspoon and Booth in the wide berths. And a choice of two from O'Connor, Doyle, and Griffiths isn't a bad choice to have to make. With Stack back in goal, we MIGHT just have the beginnings of a team there ...

Re the bit in bold. What a load of Pish Doddie. How many times have you seen Francom? How many times Doherty? McPake? Kujabi? You don't know if they are better. You are just hoping like the rest of us.

Dashing Bob S
02-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Re the bit in bold. What a load of Pish Doddie. How many times have you seen Francom? How many times Doherty? McPake? Kujabi? You don't know if they are better. You are just hoping like the rest of us.

Yes, but don't discourage him, he's back to being positive for the first time in months!

--------
02-02-2012, 11:36 PM

What do I have to do? If I'm being realistic, I get pelters for being negative and depressing. So there I am, thinking I maybe could cheer up a bit, so I post a wee bit more positively, and YOU, who apparently know so much more than I do, tell me I'm talking Pish - Pish with a capital P, no less.

(Pleasepleaseplease enlighten me as to the significance if any of that capital P?)

So OK - I was right the first time - Sir Thomas Tom the White Knight really couldn't care less about the team - he's only interested in safeguarding his investment. Petrie's in Sir TT's pocket, the Sancho Panza of the SPL. Fenlon's away in November, and Brown will be appointed caretaker AGAIN. All the players signed over the last two months are rubbish, we're in for a right humping on Saturday, and the only chance we have of avoiding the drop is if the Pars decide to throw in the towel to avoid a second season paying SPL wages.

McPake I HAVE seen - he's no world-beater, but he's always looked a decent solid stopper - miles better than O'Hanlon. Doherty and Francom are young players well-thought-off at their clubs - both of which play in the EPL. Francom has played for us and he did OK. And Kujabi was signed on the back of a considered assessment period by a manager with a decent past track record. Claros was wanted by Rangers and has an £800,000 price tag on him, PF knows Doherty and O'Donovan from the League of Ireland and I do believe I said I reckon he knows his job. And the others, I believe, have actually played in matches - and done OK.

And perhaps you might explain to me just how the defensive line I posted could possibly be any worse than one that includes Hart, Stephens and O'Hanlon - which is where we've been the last few weeks, heaven help us.

IF you know so much.

I'm off to bed. I'll be happy to PM you with some suggestions as to what YOU might do next. :devil:

Dinkydoo
03-02-2012, 05:49 AM
Errr no.....

First point, if board had got in a few of Pats targets and fees were needed regardless of how they played I would say good on them for taking risk with Pat. Your 2nd point IMO all the board have done is their job normally so Fenlon gets praise once they work out hopefully.

Fenlon for me will get praise or not for signing these players regardless if we spent zero or 10m. Giving the board praise has nothing to do with the players ability it is to do with what they have done or did, all I see they have done is do there job as normal so no real need to thank them.

You do realise that the board will have had to authorise these loans that we've got in, since they're not playing for free?

Us being unsuccessful with some of PF's targets was more to do with our league position than anything else; PF said it himself in an interview.

Eyrie
03-02-2012, 07:06 PM
I agree some players may have had to be paid off but can I ask how you know it increased the playing budget? How do we know what was left in that budget before window?

It's more logical to assume that the player budget was close to being fully utilised than it is to assume that there was a large underspend. Since there would only be a small saving across all the players who left, followed by a large increase in the wage bill for the new arrivals, simple common sense indicates that the budget was increased.

I'd even go as far as to speculate that Fenlon made the need for that very clear to the board at his interview. He doesn't strike anyone as being either a fool or the shy type.

Captain Trips
03-02-2012, 09:25 PM
It's more logical to assume that the player budget was close to being fully utilised than it is to assume that there was a large underspend. Since there would only be a small saving across all the players who left, followed by a large increase in the wage bill for the new arrivals, simple common sense indicates that the budget was increased.

I'd even go as far as to speculate that Fenlon made the need for that very clear to the board at his interview. He doesn't strike anyone as being either a fool or the shy type.

We can both assume things to suit the point we are making and totally speculate truth is neither of us knows 100% how much budget was being used etc or what costs were or were money was saved, for me I will thank board when I think they deserve it just like the people in this thread think they deserve it now.

I have done in past and maybe some on here didnt think they deserved it when I did.

As of now I think they havent done anything special IMO, they may have to some on here and that is fine, not for me though.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2012, 09:49 PM
We can both assume things to suit the point we are making and totally speculate truth is neither of us knows 100% how much budget was being used etc or what costs were or were money was saved, for me I will thank board when I think they deserve it just like the people in this thread think they deserve it now.

I have done in past and maybe some on here didnt think they deserved it when I did.

As of now I think they havent done anything special IMO, they may have to some on here and that is fine, not for me though.

I dont think we can both be wrong here, we are losing money, we are spending more than what comes in. So it appears to me STF has again put his hand in his pocket, and for that i thank him, or if its not him, then the board have borrowed money from somewhere, again i thank them. If they had not then we would still have the previous dross.

That does not bare thinking about imo, and if they had not spent this window, then they would have been slaughtered. So yes well done to whoever sanctioned the spending.