PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Bid for Michael O'connor (Scunthorpe)

le bill
30-01-2012, 01:59 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11792/7466186/Hibs-eye-O-Connor-move

Good One if we can get him.

stokesmessiah
30-01-2012, 02:09 PM

He is at Scunthorpe and interesting was on trial here during Mixu's spell.

Part/Time Supporter

Mixu tried to sign him IIRC

Captain Trips

At least this guy has been playing and seems fairly solid, a fee is required so over to Capt Petrie and co. If we are looking at a manager needing 2yrs then he has to be signing players for at least that.

hibby67
30-01-2012, 02:14 PM
He is at Scunthorpe and interesting was on trial here during Mixu's spell.

Taken from the artical

However, the Edinburgh outfit are thought to be struggling to meet Scunthorpe's asking price.

As usual unable to afford him

Hibby 2005
30-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I thought we didn't pay fees anymore?

Jim44
30-01-2012, 02:16 PM

ed - oops i mean Scunthorpe not S.Utd

Sounds ok but ................"However, the Edinburgh outfit are thought to be struggling to meet Scunthorpe's asking price."

:rolleyes: Same old,same old.

Benny Brazil
30-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Taken from the artical

However, the Edinburgh outfit are thought to be struggling to meet Scunthorpe's asking price.

FFS - Can you not wait and find out more info before slating the club? How do you know Scunthorpe arent asking for something ridiculous like £1mil or how do you know if we have even put an offer in?

Jeez.

SMAXXA
30-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Emailed my collegue whos a Scunny fan, reply as follow -

Hes our only player with any quality - hands off Hibs!!
Runs the show every game - will cost you a bit though because hes our only saleable assett we have.

Mikey
30-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Taken from the artical

Sounds ok but ................"However, the Edinburgh outfit are thought to be struggling to meet Scunthorpe's asking price."

Maybe if more people stay away we'll raise the cash more quickly.

Pretty Boy
30-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I thought we didn't pay fees anymore?

If he's out of contract at the end of the season I'd imagine it.would be a token bid of say 20k to try and secure him now rather than in 6 months.

easty
30-01-2012, 02:19 PM

Aye well if it says so on the Sky Sports website then we might as well start burning our Rod Petrie effigies now...

SMAXXA
30-01-2012, 02:20 PM
If he's out of contract at the end of the season I'd imagine it.would be a token bid of say 20k to try and secure him now rather than in 6 months.

Wouldnt have thought so mate, more in the region of 60-80K I would recon.

Jim44
30-01-2012, 02:20 PM
FFS - Can you not wait and find out more info before slating the club? How do you know Scunthorpe arent asking for something ridiculous like £1mil or how do you know if we have even put an offer in?

Jeez.

His contract's up at the end of the season so they won't be asking for megabucks.

Benny Brazil
30-01-2012, 02:21 PM
His contract's up at the end of the season so they won't be asking for megabucks.

I am aware of that -you and others take the opportunity to slate the club without knowing the facts.
Just because the media have put in a comment about us struggling to meet the valuation you take this as fact and an opportunity to have a dig at the club.

Do you know how much Scunny want for him?
Do you know if we have bid for him?
If we did do you know how much we bid for him?

Jim44
30-01-2012, 02:22 PM

:confused:

Pretty Boy
30-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Wouldnt have thought so mate, more in the region of 60-80K I would recon.

20k was meant as an example but I better be careful. If we dont get this guy it will be FACT next week that we 'missed out' because we wouldn't pay that ammount.

Captain Trips
They may see our position in SPL as a way to force more out of us but they will also know we will not be able to afford him if it gets to high, really all depends on any other buyes however I would say now is the time to speculate to accumlate.

MrSmith

Two sided coin that reply Mikey! What happened to available money when the fans were turning up?

stokesmessiah
30-01-2012, 02:24 PM
http://theseventytwo.com/football-league/championship/2011/04/14/scouting-report-michael-oconnor-scunthorpe-united/

Sounds to be a player in the mould we have been looking at.

SMAXXA
30-01-2012, 02:25 PM
20k was meant as an example but I better be careful. If we dont get this guy it will be FACT next week that we 'missed out' because we wouldn't pay that ammount.

:faf:

He would appear to be a decent signing, lets hope we can land this one but shhhhhhh dont tell St Mirren, Aberdeen or St Johnstone that we are looking at him :greengrin

hibby67
30-01-2012, 02:26 PM

Jeez.

Was not having a go at the board was just saying we get our hopes up that we are going to sign someone then it falls through due to money sign off the times. That's all

Craig_in_Prague

Enjoy the job, Pat :aok:

SRHibs
I'm quite a pessimistic person generally, but Jesus, some of the people on here...

Just because we're not meeting their demands, doesn't necessarily mean that we're struggling to do so. It could be as simple as the management team not feeling that he's worth what's being asked for. :rolleyes:. Let's just wait and see how this develops, instead of using an unreliable SSN article as further ammunition against the board, and turning this thread into yet another hate campaign.

Sounds like he's pretty highly rated in a league where the standard isn't much lower than the SPL, so hopefully we get him signed up.

johnrebus
30-01-2012, 02:29 PM

Scunthorpe are in relegation trouble. Doubt if they want to lose him, hence holding out for decent bid.

Can't blame them.

Benny Brazil
30-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm quite a pessimistic person generally, but Jesus, some of the people on here...

Just because we're not meeting their demands, doesn't necessarily mean that we're struggling to do so. It could be as simple as the management team not feeling that he's worth what's being asked for. :rolleyes:. Let's just wait and see how this develops, instead of using an unreliable SSN article as further ammunition against the board, and turning this thread into yet another hate campaign.

Thats just too sensible for some.

Hibby 2005
30-01-2012, 02:31 PM
We couldn't get Goodwin FFS.

down the slope
30-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Aye and maybe if we had taken the cash for CC then we could afford him , "remember CC IS the man" !.

Golden Bear
Two sided coin that reply Mikey! What happened to available money when the fans were turning up?

I think it was a very sarky thoroughly *issed off comment but we don't have such a smiley as yet.

:greengrin

DanHFC1875
looks like a good player to go in for, sounds like he would be a good addition... lets hope the board back fenlon. :aok:

JimBHibees
30-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Obviously a bit of wheeling and dealing going on this guy sounds not unlike the sort of player Pattison is. Would assume PF trying to cover bases and expressing an interest in 2 or 3 similar players with the hope of moving seriously if not able to get his preferred target.

IMO there will be other clubs able to pay more wages for this guy if he has done well in League 1, live in hope though the fact it is now public knowledge is no doubt designed to garner other interest.

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Aye and maybe if we had taken the cash for CC then we could afford him , "remember CC IS the man" !.

Fair point and probably wouldnt even be in this position if had done also.

MB62
30-01-2012, 02:36 PM

Here's a novel idea.

Maybe our owner could put his hands in his deep pockets and try to help build a team that the people might want to go to pay to watch.

Just a thought.

JimBHibees
30-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Fair point and probably wouldnt even be in this position if had done also.

I see this referred to regularly. Was the only compensation offered not from Forest rather than Brum.

Elephant Stone
30-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Here's a novel idea.

Maybe our owner could put his hands in his deep pockets and try to help build a team that the people might want to go to pay to watch.

Just a thought.

That's not really a novel idea, just the same suggestion you see all the time on this forum without really any justification or reason. Why should he?

MrSmith
30-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I think it was a very sarky thoroughly *issed off comment but we don't have such a smiley as yet.

a supercilious smiley it is then!

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I see this referred to regularly. Was the only compensation offered not from Forest rather than Brum.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/hibs_reject_163_300k_offer_for_manager_colin_calde rwood_1_1714544

Believe that or not, I see no reason to not to.

Golden Bear
30-01-2012, 02:44 PM

Good word that - I quite like a pint of that myself.

:wink:

DarlingtonHibee
30-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Here's a novel idea.

Just a thought.

How much are you prepared to put in ?

Just a thought....

JimBHibees
30-01-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/hibs_reject_163_300k_offer_for_manager_colin_calde rwood_1_1714544

Ok seems clear enough. We are now speaking very much from a position of hindsight of course.

Big Frank
30-01-2012, 02:48 PM
That's not really a novel idea, just the same suggestion you see all the time on this forum without really any justification or reason. Why should he?

I'll give it a go :greengrin

he is the owner, and as such should ensure Hibernian FC are in the best position possible both on the field and off the field. IMO he is the owner so is obliged to dig Hibernian out the hole we find ourselves in.

Now, may I ask you, why shouldn't he?

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Ok seems clear enough. We are now speaking very much from a position of hindsight of course.

Well the board are, I and lots of others are not we I would have taken that right then and there and I am sure lots of others would. No Hindsight at all I said at time was massive mistake.

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 02:51 PM

he is the owner, and as such should ensure Hibernian FC are in the best position possible both on the field and off the field. IMO he is the owner so is obliged to dig Hibernian out the hole we find ourselves in.

I'm not sure he is obliged to do that, unfortunately. He can do anything he wants. As you say, he's the owner.

He could sell the ground to Cala homes.

He could make us amateur.

He could stop paying the players.

Elephant Stone
30-01-2012, 02:53 PM

You've not said why he should there mate, only that he should. Why is he obliged to dug us out this hole?

I'm not saying that he shouldn't invest some money, if he did it would be lovely and would obviously be very useful. What I'm saying is that I don't think he's under any duty to invest or that he's open to criticism for not giving us some money.

Jim44
30-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Here's a novel idea.

Just a thought.

If I owned a car which was becoming so unroadworthy that it might not last much longer. I would expect to have to pay a few bob, even beyond my budget, to keep it on the road. If I was struggling to meet the cost, I'd have to expect the inevitable.

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 02:59 PM

Ask and you shall receive!

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/6050/41336861.jpg

Elephant Stone
30-01-2012, 03:02 PM
If I owned a car which was becoming so unroadworthy that it might not last much longer. I would expect to have to pay a few bob, even beyond my budget, to keep it on the road. If I was struggling to meet the cost, I'd have to expect the inevitable.

That would be a car you bought for yourself though, you'd need to repair it so that you could use it again. What if your neighbour needed a car and couldn't afford it, maybe you don't even really like cars but you bought your neighbour it to help them out. When you neighbour's car breaks down and he says "You bought me this car so it's pretty much up to you to maintain it for me for me now", wouldn't that be a wee bit rich?

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Somebody needs to do something and it is not going to be the punters going along. "Together we are stronger" "United as one " whatever you want to say sorry but that sort of roll call in this day and age will not work so the board need to stop wasting money on it and sending cards to folk.

Back in 97/98 although cr@p there was at least some affinty with the players and a hurt from them when we were losing "together as one" for sure, you would find that £20 for the match even though you knew Duff Jimmy was p1sh, you would find it though as you or I felt at least was on level with players. I found the money for the Season ticket in Div 1 for all same reasons.

If the support isnt turning out now they are not going to come so forget roll calls to the support they have been there and would do again but unfortunatly since 97/98 players have changed in terms mentality IMO the jersey players are gone there might be the odd one but I get the sense of players caring a lot less than they used to which has clealy filtered to us along with the cost of living people are far less inclined to find that £20-£30.

Rallying calls will do little I have been there "we'll support you ever more" what 12,000k belting that out regularly, like it or not we'll support you if something there to support, aye if folk go and there are 14k Hibbies each week then we would do better but that is not ever going to happen until the team has the appeal, like it or not onus on club to get everyone back or accept were we are and live with it or find somebody else willing to take us on.

You cannot rely on peoples affinty with club to make them go, something the club seem to keep trying to do, they are not coming back.

Broken Gnome
30-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Sean O'Hanlon came with a decent write-up from League One...

Jim44
30-01-2012, 03:07 PM
That would be a car you bought for yourself though, you'd need to repair it so that you could use it again. What if your neighbour needed a car and couldn't afford it, maybe you don't even really like cars but you bought your neighbour it to help them out. When you neighbour's car breaks down and he says "You bought me this car so it's pretty much up to you to maintain it for me for me now", wouldn't that be a wee bit rich?

Stop trying to be sensible. :greengrin

Mikey
30-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Somebody needs to do something and it is not going to be the punters going along.

Why not?

It's our club. Why not back it?

Golden Bear
30-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Ask and you shall receive!

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/6050/41336861.jpg

Although I'm not sure if Mr Mikey will approve.

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Why not?

For reasons stated it is quite clearly not acceptable to 1000s of people "together we are stronger" appears to have done little to swell that crowd. It is not the same club for many whom used to go alot.

Maybe ask the not 100s but the 1000s that dont go like before I think it for reasons in my post.

Big Frank
30-01-2012, 03:13 PM
You've not said why he should there mate, only that he should. Why is he obliged to dug us out this hole?

I'm not saying that he shouldn't invest some money, if he did it would be lovely and would obviously be very useful. What I'm saying is that I don't think he's under any duty to invest or that he's open to criticism for not giving us some money.

The why would be because we have won something like 2 games at home in a year. We have been on a downward spiral since we last won a trophy in 1997, and we are in REAL danger of dropping from the league! Hibernian FC!!! The product has been nothing short of disgraceful for far too long.

I know he's not going to in a month of sundays, but couldn't Hibernian ask him for a long term loan, strictly for the playing side? He could still get a return, but one that helps Hibernian FC.... MB62 is correctly stating that he has (very) deep pockets! (£160,000,000 + :wink: )

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Maybe we should approach Birmingham for some players as a way for CC to apologise and the saving them of 300k.

Judas Iscariot
30-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Why not?

We have continually backed it from March 2007 till now, during that time the team has got worse and worse!

Without the same level of backing from the board onto the pitch, be it by repeatedly employing utterly inept managers, then not backing them finacially, making stupid decisions to turn down compo for one of the worst Hibs managers in the last 50 odd years etc

Time for them to man up and make the 1st move for once...

patlowe
30-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Scunny fans don't seem too enamoured with the guy here (http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=460&fid=12&sty=2&act=1&mid=2115430891) but it's often the way when it looks like a fans' favourite is on his way out.

aob4green
30-01-2012, 03:21 PM

Jeez.

Because we are so use to disappointment when it comes to trying to attract players. If it is a straight fight between us and the mighty St M or St J, then we ar sure to get gazumped on the wages front once again.

If we are competing with most other teams for his signature then sadly we'll lose out due the current boards failure to back successive managers by being competitive in the transfer market.

marinello59
30-01-2012, 03:21 PM
For reasons stated it is quite clearly not acceptable to 1000s of people "together we are stronger" appears to have done little to swell that crowd. It is not the same club for many whom used to go alot.

Maybe ask the not 100s but the 1000s that dont go like before I think it for reasons in my post.

I really struggle to understand this. One of the things that makes me angry is when the board forget who the soul of the club really belongs to, the fans. Now it seems some supporters are forgetting that as well. It's our club. Not Farmers or Petrie's but ours. They can have legal ownership but that is nothing compared to the claim we as fans have to the heart of Hibernian FC and everyhting it stands for. The simple fact is together we ARE stronger. People can choose to ignore that and people have many valid reasons why they won't go to games at present. That's their choice. I just happen to think that when somebody or something you claim to love is in big trouble (as we currently are) then that isn't the time to turn your back on them. It's a time to stick together to get ourselves out of a hole. It isn't the fans fault we are in this mess but surely we can play our part in getting us out of it. I really don't think that is asking too much.

down the slope
30-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure he is obliged to do that, unfortunately. He can do anything he wants. As you say, he's the owner.

He could sell the ground to Cala homes.

He could make us amateur.

He could stop paying the players.

Then why is he arsed being our owner then , why own a football team and watch it going down the tubes when like other owners he could turn the business round by an injection of cash ?.

JimBHibees
30-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Well the board are, I and lots of others are not we I would have taken that right then and there and I am sure lots of others would. No Hindsight at all I said at time was massive mistake.

Fair enough well done to you. I am sure the Board would see it as trying to fight off someone interested in their manager and hoped he would turn it around. Damned if they did, damned if they didnt.

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 03:27 PM
I really struggle to understand this. One of the things that makes me angry is when the board forget who the soul of the club really belongs to, the fans. Now it seems some supporters are forgetting that as well. It's our club. Not Farmers or Petrie's but ours. They can have legal ownership but that is nothing compared to the claim we as fans have to the heart of Hibernian FC and everyhting it stands for. The simple fact is together we ARE stronger. People can choose to ignore that and people have many valid reasons why they won't go to games at present. That's their choice. I just happen to think that when somebody or something you claim to love is in big trouble (as we currently are) then that isn't the time to turn your back on them. It's a time to stick together to get ourselves out of a hole. It isn't the fans fault we are in this mess but surely we can play our part in getting us out of it. I really don't think that is asking too much.

Well it clearly is, thats all nice and fluffy but that is clear 1000s do not think so, you are now just doing it and wasting your time, I go when I can simple I do not go that extra that I used to as its not the same club as used to, Hibs need to do something a lot more than asking folk to support them, loyalty has gone from players and it appears so from fans.

I am only stating a point we have these roll calls and have been for years they are a waste of time.

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Then why is he arsed being our owner then , why own a football team and watch it going down the tubes when like other owners he could turn the business round by an injection of cash ?.

I don't know.

Maybe he doesn't want to use his money in that way.

Maybe he doesn't think that throwing more and more money at a problem is the way to solve it.

Maybe he's already underwriting our losses and deficit to a greater degree than he had originally intended.

You could always write to him and ask. A pen and paper can still work wonders, but it would cost you the price of a stamp, but you might not want to use your money in that way. :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
30-01-2012, 03:32 PM

:agree::agree::agree:

:hibees:pfgwa

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Well it clearly is, thats all nice and fluffy but that is clear 1000s do not think so, you are now just doing it and wasting your time, I go when I can simple I do not go that extra that I used to as its not the same club as used to, Hibs need to do something a lot more than asking folk to support them, loyalty has gone from players and it appears so from fans.

I am only stating a point we have these roll calls and have been for years they are a waste of time.

Are you sure?

What statistics or data have you used to back that up?

What would the crowds be like if these campaigns didn't exist?

Saorsa
30-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I really struggle to understand this. One of the things that makes me angry is when the board forget who the soul of the club really belongs to, the fans. Now it seems some supporters are forgetting that as well. It's our club. Not Farmers or Petrie's but ours. They can have legal ownership but that is nothing compared to the claim we as fans have to the heart of Hibernian FC and everyhting it stands for. The simple fact is together we ARE stronger. People can choose to ignore that and people have many valid reasons why they won't go to games at present. That's their choice. I just happen to think that when somebody or something you claim to love is in big trouble (as we currently are) then that isn't the time to turn your back on them. It's a time to stick together to get ourselves out of a hole. It isn't the fans fault we are in this mess but surely we can play our part in getting us out of it. I really don't think that is asking too much.So it's our club but they can run it any way they like? They can make a shop front of it and we can keep paying for it? is that right?

marinello59

So what do we do then? Collectively wash our hands of the club we claim to love and walk away because we don't like the board?

down the slope

I think we have done all of the above and many times ,they have had plenty of chances with the supporters money , not theirs but ours remember and squandered millions by their utter ineptness and now they want more ?.

IWasThere2016
30-01-2012, 03:36 PM
We have continually backed it from March 2007 till now, during that time the team has got worse and worse!

Without the same level of backing from the board onto the pitch, be it by repeatedly employing utterly inept managers, then not backing them finacially, making stupid decisions to turn down compo for one of the worst Hibs managers in the last 50 odd years etc

Time for them to man up and make the 1st move for once...

It could be argued it was '04/05 as attendences improved under TM dramatically - however the decline from the CIS in 2007 is staggering

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Are you sure?

What statistics or data have you used to back that up?

What would the crowds be like if these campaigns didn't exist?

I do not think they are geared to have as many empty seats as there are, so IMO failed.

TowerHibs
Purely play devil's advocate here - if he was on trial with us a few years ago, is it Pat Fenlon's signing or the magical SL dipping into his black book (only uk based players in this book)

Must admit, our transfer policy is stinking. There must be foreign gems begging to come to the UK. The UK market is shocking, over priced and poor standard of player

marinello59
So it's our club but they can run it any way they like? They can make a shop front of it and we can keep paying for it? is that right?

No it certainly isn't. My point is that in the short term we really do need to get behind this team. Relegation is staring us in the face. It IS a time to stick together.

ancienthibby
30-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't know.

Maybe he doesn't want to use his money in that way.

Maybe he doesn't think that throwing more and more money at a problem is the way to solve it.

Maybe he's already underwriting our losses and deficit to a greater degree than he had originally intended.

You could always write to him and ask. A pen and paper can still work wonders, but it would cost you the price of a stamp, but you might not want to use your money in that way. :wink:

He put £1 million as a loan in the year to July 2011.

We are in a worse financial position now than then.

It's more than likely he'll continue to fund the company on this basis, per his track record.:agree:

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 03:40 PM
So what do we do then? Collectively wash our hands of the club we claim to love and walk away because we don't like the board?

Where did I say that? People will go that want to go people that do not won't, rallying calls will not see us go anywhere, having a good team I think will and yeah we need money so we need fans but it is not going to happen that way round so either the club make this team far far more appealing somehow with the finaces they have and yeah tough task and hope to recoup by bring folk back if they over extend.

No point in saying to me the club is missing 1000s of people and whatever they think will get them back aint working.

marinello59
30-01-2012, 03:41 PM
I think we have done all of the above and many times ,they have had plenty of chances with the supporters money , not theirs but ours remember and squandered millions by their utter ineptness and now they want more ?.

I really don't care what the board say or do. Our team is staring relegation in the face and strong backing from the fans at matches would help. Is that not true?

Cropley10
30-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Whilst all of the above might very well be true, the problem is that very few people still think the Club is being well-run, mostly because we don't appear to be learning any lessons or doing anything any differently, specifically with regards to player and manager disposition and acquisition.

The turnstiles and attendances don't lie. Expecting people to turn up in even greater numbers to watch a team that can't seem to win at home is almost counter-intuitive as a strategy. It's putting an unlimited price on loyalty.

The best way to improve attendances and therefore cash in, is to improve the team on the park. We've been unable to do that for a while now. And here we find ourselves again, apparently "keeping cash back to the last possible moment to pick up a bargain" - yet there's no evidence we've ever managed to achieve this (perhaps with the exception of Sol Bamba).

Never mind what people say on here, it will be interesting to hear folks chat at half-time on Saturday, when we look back on another window, another opportunity. Fingers crossed everyone involved is learning what doesn't work.

IWasThere2016
30-01-2012, 03:42 PM
I really don't care what the board say or do. Our team is staring relegation in the face and strong backing from the fans at matches would help. Is that not true?

Certainly did at EEP.

stokesmessiah
30-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Wow this has gone slightly off topic here !

Does anyone actually know much about this guy? I see that he was coveted by Championship clubs at one point, why would he want to come here if thats still the case?

IWasThere2016
30-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow this has gone slightly off topic here !

Does anyone actually know much about this guy? I see that he was coveted by Championship clubs at one point, why would he want to come here if thats still the case?

Irrelevant :greengrin Does he have two legs and a heid? Can he run? If so sign him! :agree:

TowerHibs
30-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Where did I say that? People will go that want to go people that do not won't, rallying calls will not see us go anywhere, having a good team I think will and yeah we need money so we need fans but it is not going to happen that way round so either the club make this team far far more appealing somehow with the finaces they have and yeah tough task and hope to recoup by bring folk back if they over extend.

No point in saying to me the club is missing 1000s of people and whatever they think will get them back aint working.

Haven't agreed with a vast number of your posts but agree with 100% you have said here

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 03:46 PM
I do not think they are geared to have as many empty seats as there are, so IMO failed.

Ok. So you're guessing. You don't know if they've failed or not.

That's fine.

I think the "Stand Up and be Counted" and "Together we are stronger" campaigns have protected attendances from dropping even further than they have. Therefore they have succeeded.

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Ok. So you're guessing. You don't know if they've failed or not.

That's fine.

I think the "Stand Up and be Counted" and "Together we are stronger" campaigns have protected attendances from dropping even further than they have. Therefore they have succeeded.

There is key phrase then isnt it, ok they have stopped them going down, maybe time to get them going up.

So these campaigns have been going on how long? So the point in them was to? and they have succeeded so I assume then all is good at the gates? If not then they need to do something else as it clearly hasnt worked unless you think these crowds are good enough then it has worked 100%

stokesmessiah
30-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Irrelevant :greengrin Does he have two legs and a heid? Can he run? If so sign him! :agree:

Sounds like John Rankin :greengrin

Saorsa
30-01-2012, 03:52 PM
No it certainly isn't. My point is that in the short term we really do need to get behind this team. Relegation is staring us in the face. It IS a time to stick together.I fully intend tae back the team and the manager.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Sounds like John Rankin :greengrin

Naw, he had 2 heads and a leg.

Hibiza
30-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Hope im wrong but money...... forget it.

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Not necessarily a pre-requisite for getting a contract.

We've had a good few of these in my time of watching them.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6950/1189921787.jpg

Andy74
30-01-2012, 03:57 PM
He seems to have taken the website thing a bit further and had a leaked sex tape that got out onto the internet.

Something all future signings should be judged on I think.

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 04:10 PM
There is key phrase then isnt it, ok they have stopped them going down, maybe time to get them going up.

So these campaigns have been going on how long? So the point in them was to? and they have succeeded so I assume then all is good at the gates? If not then they need to do something else as it clearly hasnt worked unless you think these crowds are good enough then it has worked 100%

You are being utterly unreasonable if you think that a couple of campaign slogans were supposed to fill the stadium by themselves.

The point of the campaigns was to help get as many people through the gate as possible.

And they have helped as I have pointed out in that crowds are better than they would have been without them. You can't refute this, just as I can't prove it, but I've stood in a bigger capacity Easter Road with less than 4000 in it for top league games. Getting 9000 when we've had such a bad time recently is great, in comparison.

They was no suggestion that they were going to be the panacea to all our ails on their own. Well, apart from you, it seems.

No campaign slogan is going to fill a stadium, but if it helps, then it's a success.

Sammy7nil
30-01-2012, 04:15 PM

Perhaps if Hibs spent a few 100,000's of the MILLIONS we have raised by selling players fans would turn up. :confused:

Andy74
30-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Perhaps if Hibs spent a few 100,000's of the MILLIONS we have raised by selling players fans would turn up. :confused:

We can only spend every pound once.

Pretty Boy
30-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Because big chunks of the debt just paid themselves.

The player we paid decent fees/compensation for paid themselves.

The managers we appointed paid their own compensation on arrival (and departure)

The stand and training centre paid for themselves

basehibby
30-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Taken from the artical

THIS is why we are currently in a relegation dog fight - consistent unwillingness to pay the going rate to achieve priority signings - result is that far too many signings end up being a 2nd/3rd/hit and hope choices and we end up with a team that cannae beat their way out of a paper bag!

Unless we see an abandonment of this modus operandi I'm afraid we are in for a future of further failures as managers struggle to achieve mediocrity.

Nothing wrong with being tough negotiators but when this ends up being to the detriment of the football team and hence business, it becomes an exercise in shooting yourself in the foot.

Sammy7nil
30-01-2012, 04:39 PM
We can only spend every pound once.

Yeah such a pity we always choose not to spend it on the most important thing at a footbal club - The Players

DarlingtonHibee
30-01-2012, 04:40 PM

1. He never needed to own us - he felt a community responsibility - to be clear he was never a football fan.

2. Who has turned a football business round with cash,and what is the ROI ?

Sammy7nil
30-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Because big chunks of the debt just paid themselves.

The player we paid decent fees/compensation for paid themselves.

The managers we appointed paid their own compensation on arrival (and departure)

The stand and training centre paid for themselves

I must have missed them :confused

Hibs chose to spend everytime on infrustructure, scrimping on the main assest at any club the team. This was a clear policy from the Hibs board which has left us struggling for 2 years now.

Pretty Boy
30-01-2012, 04:49 PM

Hibs chose to spend everytime on infrustructure, scrimping on the main assest at any club the team. This was a clear policy from the Hibs board which has left us struggling for 2 years now.

Derek Riordan, Yves MaKalambay, Alan O'Brien, John Rankin and Jimmy Scott are the ones I can name off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more. Also most other signings would get a signing on fee as well.

DarlingtonHibee
30-01-2012, 04:50 PM

HFC vision / strategy has been clear -establish the infrastructure.

Now that is done, we have the challange of stability on the park. I agree this has been difficult, but at least all our cap ex is out the way for the next 20 -30 years.

Andy74
30-01-2012, 04:51 PM

If the budget had gone down then this little nugget might be true.

The managers failed, that's all really.

Sergio sledge
30-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Derek Riordan, Yves MaKalambay, Alan O'Brien, John Rankin and Jimmy Scott are the ones I can name off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more. Also most other signings would get a signing on fee as well.

We paid a fee for Zemamma, eventually, and we paid for Nish.

Mikey
30-01-2012, 04:54 PM
I think we should have a new rule. You're only allowed to argue about how crap the board are at the game.

Once you've paid to get in :greengrin

:duck:

Hermit Crab
30-01-2012, 04:55 PM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=460&fid=12&sty=2&act=1&mid=2115430891

Scunthorpe fans giving him a poor review this season judging by the above thread link

Sammy7nil
30-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Yeah I know we have signed a few but none of the above cost a fortune. I give you Brown Thomson Whittiker O'Connor Sproule Murphy I could name a few more but anyone of them would just about cover ALL your signings.

DarlingtonHibee
30-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I think we should have a new rule. You're only allowed to argue about how crap the board are at the game.

Once you've paid to get in :greengrin

:duck:

Thats TQM and Smurf done :wink:

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 04:57 PM
You are being utterly unreasonable if you think that a couple of campaign slogans were supposed to fill the stadium by themselves.

The point of the campaigns was to help get as many people through the gate as possible.

And they have helped as I have pointed out in that crowds are better than they would have been without them. You can't refute this, just as I can't prove it, but I've stood in a bigger capacity Easter Road with less than 4000 in it for top league games. Getting 9000 when we've had such a bad time recently is great, in comparison.

They was no suggestion that they were going to be the panacea to all our ails on their own. Well, apart from you, it seems.

No campaign slogan is going to fill a stadium, but if it helps, then it's a success.

I am not being unreasonable I am stating if it is at its peak it is time if they want more people in stadium to make the team now more appealing? The campaign has being going on for long enough so now it is time to get fans in another way and for me that is having an entertaining side, and IMO with the way fans are they will have to do that before getting the crowds up, folk are not coming to wait for this. Our average attendance isnt going up it is going down, I bet we are losing the ones who first came on board with stand and be counted.

Difficult but thats it.

mickeythehibbee
30-01-2012, 04:58 PM

Balls you just choose to ignore them.

We payed circa 300K for O'Brien +signing on fee, 200K for Ma-kalambay plus signing on fee, we payed 400K for Riordan second time around, something similar for stokes. O'connor will have come with a hefty wage. So will Sproule. we actually paid 100K for Rankin and something similar for Nish iirc. We got Donaldson on some stupid wage because he was supposedly being chased by championship clubs, the list goes on.

The problem is not money. we spend the 4th highest in wages in the league. We just spend it on ******.

mickeythehibbee
30-01-2012, 05:01 PM

Beat me to it! :greengrin

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 05:02 PM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=460&fid=12&sty=2&act=1&mid=2115430891

Scunthorpe fans giving him a poor review this season judging by the above thread link

Folk were giving Griffiths bad reviews on here.

Folk still give our top scorer, Gary O'Connor bad reviews, yet this place will implode if he leaves tomorrow.

Football messageboards are not a great place to conduct either qualitative or quantitative research.

I know you know this. :greengrin

I'm still giving Pat Fenlon the benefit of the doubt, so if he wants him, I'm happy to believe that he'll improve the team.

Sammy7nil
30-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Balls you just choose to ignore them.

We payed circa 300K for O'Brien +signing on fee, 200K for Ma-kalambay plus signing on fee, we payed 400K for Riordan second time around, something similar for stokes. O'connor will have come with a hefty wage. So will Sproule. we actually paid 100K for Rankin and something similar for Nish iirc. We got Donaldson on some stupid wage because he was supposedly being chased by championship clubs, the list goes on.

The problem is not money. we spend the 4th highest in wages in the league. We just spend it on ******.

See my post above in that time we took in around £8 million so 15% was fed back in to the team :confused: and around 6 -7 million on a stand and training ground.

Hibs have had a clear Policy of spending on frustructure and the policy is now biting them oin the bum.

Pretty Boy
30-01-2012, 05:04 PM
See my post above in that time we took in around £8 million so 15% was fed back in to the team :confused: and around 6 -7 million on a stand and training ground.

Hibs have had a clear Policy of spending on frustructure and the policy is now biting them oin the bum.

Are you intentionally ignoring the significant reduction in the crippling debt?

Mikey_1875
30-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Looks like he'd be a decent addition looks good. If Fenlon wants him and the player is keen then we sure as hell better get him. No excuses imo.

Sammy7nil
30-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Are you intentionally ignoring the significant reduction in the crippling debt?

Not at all.

Hibs have choosen one path most possibly the correct one however we could have invested more in the playing side and who knows if we had we may have 12,000 ST be sitting 3rd in the league and perhaps have another cup. On the other hand we could have a huge crippling debt and still be 11th but hey we will never know.

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I am not being unreasonable I am stating if it is at its peak, it is time if they want more people in to make the team now more appealing? The campaign has being going on for long enough so now it is time to get fans in another way and for me that is having an entertaining side, and IMO with the way fans are they will have to do that before getting the crowds up, folk are not coming to wait for this. Our average attendance isnt going up it is going down, I bet we are losing the ones who first came on board with stand and be counted.

Difficult but thats it.

How much do you want to bet? :rolleyes: Again, you have absolutely no data or statistics to back that assertion up.

Really, you rarely have anything even slightly positive to say. When anything goes wrong, even when you have no facts or knowledge, you immediately decide it's the board's fault and post for days to justify your made up scenarios.

I have never seen you acknowledge the points of others you disagree with, even when a blind man on a charging horse could see the merits of at least some of their arguments.

I can't continue to debate these things with you. It's utterly pointless and I have no idea what you think you're trying to achieve.

If you want everything to be black, go ahead, although that can't be a very happy existence for you.

I sincerely hope we don't sign the boy Claros or anyone else who is reportedly a good player.

You'll explode.

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Not at all.

Hibs have choosen one path most possibly the correct one however we could have invested more in the playing side and who knows if we had we may have 12,000 ST be sitting 3rd in the league and perhaps have another cup. On the other hand we could have a huge crippling debt and still be 11th but hey we will never know.

We've also addressed a near £20m debt and built a stand and training centre.

We've also qualified and played in Europe during that time.

Hermit Crab
30-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Folk were giving Griffiths bad reviews on here.

Folk still give our top scorer, Gary O'Connor bad reviews, yet this place will implode if he leaves tomorrow.

Football messageboards are not a great place to conduct either qualitative or quantitative research.

I know you know this. :greengrin

I'm still giving Pat Fenlon the benefit of the doubt, so if he wants him, I'm happy to believe that he'll improve the team.

Me too and im happy to go along with this :thumbsup:

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 05:20 PM
How much do you want to bet? :rolleyes: Again, you have absolutely no data or statistics to back that assertion up.

Really, you rarely have anything even slightly positive to say. When anything goes wrong, even when you have no facts or knowledge, you immediately decide it's the board's fault and post for days to justify your made up scenarios.

I have never seen you acknowledge the points of others you disagree with, even when a blind man on a charging horse can see the merits of their arguments.

I can't continue to debate these things with you. It's utterly pointless and I have no idea what you think you're trying to achieve.

If you want everything to be black, go ahead, although that can't be a very happy existence for you.

I sincerely hope we don't sign the boy Claros or anyone else who is reportedly a good player.

You'll explode.

It is an opinion mate do you have facts to back up all your opinions or are they just like me an opinion, there is a lot to be negative about over last few years unfortunatly mostly factual. Achieve? I am stating my opinion just as it is for something negative doesnt make it less valid or untrue.

Nothing positive again you read what you like, one of LGs biggest supporters on here, I do not think board are up to much along with others, do I criticise individual players more than others? No I do not, I believe yesterday was fisrt time I have had a go at O'Hanlon in fact. Happy with PF stated many times I hope he does well.

I am fine my points are roughly on same matters you do not need induldge me then. Not my problem you havent seen me agree with others. But you go ahead and predict my actions if you like.

I think I was a massive supporter on here on Mixu and certainly accepted that I was wrong by many posters here with that faith. As for Claros think you will find I stated up for fight with his history of late so you predicted that wrong.

Sammy7nil
30-01-2012, 05:22 PM
We've also addressed a near £20m debt and built a stand and training centre.

We've also qualified and played in Europe during that time.

Yeah and won a cup Great Stuff.

Having said that-

Look at the shambles we are in season tickets down from 11,000 to possibly around 5000 next season.
wonder how long it will take us to hit those heights again if we ever do. The longterm future of the club appears secure but those who actually care enough about the club to turn up each week is on a very worrying downward spiral.

Jones28
30-01-2012, 05:27 PM
FFS make it happen Hibs.

When was the last time there was real excitement about a new player at Easter Road? And by that I mean not a returnee

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Yeah and won a cup Great Stuff.

Having said that-

Look at the shambles we are in season tickets down from 11,000 to possibly around 5000 next season.
wonder how long it will take us to hit those heights again if we ever do. The longterm future of the club appears secure but those who actually care enough about the club to turn up each week is on a very worrying downward spiral.

Why choose 5000? Why not 2000? :dunno:

The longterm future of the club appears secure but those who actually care enough about the club to turn up each week is on a very worrying downward spiral.

That's a cheap shot (one I've used myself, right enough, so I won't complain too much), but because you've turned up a few times more than me this season, it doesn't actually follow that your care for the club is any greater than mine or that your views are more correct. Unless you concede that because I've been to more matches than you in my life, I'm more caring and more correct than you. :na na:

If the long term future of the club is secure, then it follows that any downward spiral must be short term, medium at worst, if you must split hairs.

If the long term future is secure, fantastic. That's different from most of our opponents, not to mention Rangers and Hearts.

Coincidentally, I've just heard on the radio that Portsmouth, who quite recently spent a lot to win a cup, have just received a winding up order. Not a direct rival, but you can see my point.

We only have so much scope to raise money so choices had to be made. I think the choices were right, but I think the managers, who still spent more than the majority of our rivals, got it wrong.

Like everyone, I'm very hopeful that Pat Fenlon is the manager who will turn it round, but only time will tell so Hibs fans have to be patient.

Hibs fans and patient in the same sentence! Wow. Has it ever happened before? :wink:

Davy Mac
30-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Looks like he'd be a decent addition looks good. If Fenlon wants him and the player is keen then we sure as hell better get him. No excuses imo.

I know it's all speculation at this stage but shirley Hibs would ask the club/agent firstly how much you are looking for the fella?

£100k - wow, would you accept £60k? - no - meet half way? No £100k - out of our budget.

End of conversation, move on.

It's all very negative when we fail to land a player we want, look at the sheep - it appears they have signed good players and you haven't heard a peep about not being able to afford them etc.

scoopyboy
30-01-2012, 05:56 PM
This is an exciting day, we haven't had too many recently.

Sammy7nil
30-01-2012, 06:16 PM

That's a cheap shot (one I've used myself, right enough, so I won't complain too much), but because you've turned up a few times more than me this season, it doesn't actually follow that your care for the club is any greater than mine or that your views are more correct. Unless you concede that because I've been to more matches than you in my life, I'm more caring and more correct than you. :na na:

If the long term future of the club is secure, then it follows that any downward spiral must be short term, medium at worst, if you must split hairs.

If the long term future is secure, fantastic. That's different from most of our opponents, not to mention Rangers and Hearts.

Coincidentally, I've just heard on the radio that Portsmouth, who quite recently spent a lot to win a cup, have just received a winding up order. Not a direct rival, but you can see my point.

We only have so much scope to raise money so choices had to be made. I think the choices were right, but I think the managers, who still spent more than the majority of our rivals, got it wrong.

Like everyone, I'm very hopeful that Pat Fenlon is the manager who will turn it round, but only time will tell so Hibs fans have to be patient.

Hibs fans and patient in the same sentence! Wow. Has it ever happened before? :wink:

Bit in bold only because you are FAR OLDER than me. :wink:

Okay I will say 2000 season tickets, but if we sign Carlos it may be 20,000 :wink:

Did you get Rickys e-mail ?

mjhibby
30-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I know it's all speculation at this stage but shirley Hibs would ask the club/agent firstly how much you are looking for the fella?

£100k - wow, would you accept £60k? - no - meet half way? No £100k - out of our budget.

End of conversation, move on.

It's all very negative when we fail to land a player we want, look at the sheep - it appears they have signed good players and you haven't heard a peep about not being able to afford them etc.

Hughes is a decent signing but i think he was a rushed buy by brown and rae is surely pat his best now.Its all about contacts and getting the right manager in.The saintees and well seem to be able to get the right manager and decent players for next to nothing while we for some reason cant seem to get the manager or the players right.heres hoping pat changes all that.

Feed McGraw
30-01-2012, 06:37 PM

I know your tongue`s in your cheek a bit, but surely we are amongst the most patient of fans in the football world. We are also amongst the most loyal and dedicated . It`s so annoying that Hibs fans are getting some sort of reputation for getting on our players backs, when it is just not the case,not as in the bulk of the support anyway. Sure there are a few boo boys but that would be the case at any club that`s gone through what Hibs have recently.

HibsMax
30-01-2012, 06:40 PM
I know your tongue`s in your cheek a bit, but surely we are amongst the most patient of fans in the football world. We are also amongst the most loyal and dedicated . It`s so annoying that Hibs fans are getting some sort of reputation for getting on our players backs, when it is just not the case,not as in the bulk of the support anyway. Sure there are a few boo boys but that would be the case at any club that`s gone through what Hibs have recently.

Season ticket sales and attendances would seem to contradict that opinion.

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 06:51 PM

I'm sorry, but it is the case.

I was at the Cowdenbeath game with a mate who hasn't seen Hibs in a couple of years.

He couldn't believe the vitriol against some of our own players. It was much much worse than he remembered.

He said it was like the fans hated their own players.

Those that go regularly, won't always notice the gradual change.

The abuse has a negative effect. We need to be positive and stay patient and I think the results will come.

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Did you get Rickys e-mail ?

Not yet. :boo hoo:

random sub
30-01-2012, 06:53 PM

good point but I know loads of Hibbees, myself and my brother included who would be back as season ticket holders (first time in 12 years I haven't had one!) if the team improved through some decent signings. Also, I am liking Fenlon (and hated the attitude of Calderwood) so the picture is shifting could and the club could gain alot more fans by a few astute moves....including signing a good midfielder.

SteveHFC
30-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Yes Please!

Feed McGraw
30-01-2012, 07:29 PM

Yes, people are fed up and I personally know some Hibbies that I can`t believe are not going, everyone will. I`m really talking about down through the ages - other clubs including the old firm would have nowhere near the support we have today if they had underachieved as spectacularly as Hibs have in their history.

With a few wins and some decent players, guys will come back. I`ve got a good feeling about PF and think he can turn it around.

Baldy Foghorn
30-01-2012, 07:30 PM

I was at the Cowdenbeath game with a mate who hasn't seen Hibs in a couple of years.

He couldn't believe the vitriol against some of our own players. It was much much worse than he remembered.

The abuse has a negative effect. We need to be positive and stay patient and I think the results will come.

Fingers crossed......

Feed McGraw
30-01-2012, 07:40 PM

I think the results will come too, I think what I`m trying to say is that to outsiders it will appear we`re all getting tarred with the same brush and that is unfair to the majority of our support. In football boo boys are part of the game and the way the Hibs have been these last few years it`s inevitable we will have them, same as any other club would.

J-C
30-01-2012, 07:59 PM

i think the problem has been that the majority of these so called players didn't look like they gave a flying one for our club, if 100% was given and they still couldn't win, then supporters would realise they were just not good enough but as non trying wage theives, enough said.

Bostonhibby
30-01-2012, 09:42 PM
At least this guy has been playing and seems fairly solid, a fee is required so over to Capt Petrie and co. If we are looking at a manager needing 2yrs then he has to be signing players for at least that.

:agree: But unless Rod is holding the guys family hostage at an unknown address for up to two years, there's no way he is coming.

smurf
30-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Thats TQM and Smurf done :wink:

I pay to get in!

john18722
30-01-2012, 10:28 PM
So have we signed this guy as this thread is not actually about him at all!!

Gordy M
30-01-2012, 10:34 PM
So have we signed this guy as this thread is not actually about him at all!!
According to the Scunthorpe fans forum he has been on twitter stating he is not leaving them:dunno:

WindyMiller
30-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Journalist pulling a figure out of the ether?

It was stated at the AGM that we were offered less compensation than we'd paid Newcastle for CC.

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Journalist pulling a figure out of the ether?

It was stated at the AGM that we were offered less compensation than we'd paid Newcastle for CC.

If offered 10p it was worth it.

machibby
30-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Looks like another non starter for now. He's saying he won't be leaving in the window with the position scunnyare in. https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/michaeloconnor8/tweets

Also notice he's fan of the lesser greens.