PDA

View Full Version : Trialists

The Sea-gull
30-01-2012, 02:12 PM
I appreciate that viewing trialists is part of football especially in the financial climate of the modern game. Signing players this way can often lead to the unearthing of the odd gem or two.

However, is now really a time for signing players this way? Why can't we have targets identified and go out and sign them without the need for giving them a trial. Surely negitiating with proven players would be a better use of time right now than watching trial matches.

I know we can't just sign whoever we want and we will miss out on targets to other teams but surely we could secure some players without needing to trial them.

Trials to me smack of players who are largely unknown to the staff and they then end up basing their signature on a game or two and some training.

Do we not have a scouting system where players are identified, watched playing for their club over a period and then offers made? Please don't tell me we miss out on every target identified in this manner, I know we will on some but it does appear that we are not doing this at the moment at a time when we have needed to.

Perhaps the amount of trialists, loans and unknowns is reflective of the managerial revolving door in recent times resulting in a scouting system being unable to be established.

PeterboroHibee
30-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Obviously you would like to be able to go out and sign players from other clubs, but that can be especially difficult these days in terms of finances, and even more so in our situation with the threat of relegation.

Trialing players is just a good way of managers to have a look at a player who would be interested in a move, before investing any sort of money in them. It gives the club a bit more security in a way (although Im sure weve still managed to sign some absolute garbage from players on trials).

Not totally sure having a bounce game to assess trialists the day before the window shuts is the best idea however, if he isnt impressed by anyone we have in at the moment based on how they do today, are we stuck with what we have or is there going to be a few panic buys tomorrow?

Andy74
30-01-2012, 02:27 PM
I appreciate that viewing trialists is part of football especially in the financial climate of the modern game. Signing players this way can often lead to the unearthing of the odd gem or two.

However, is now really a time for signing players this way? Why can't we have targets identified and go out and sign them without the need for giving them a trial. Surely negitiating with proven players would be a better use of time right now than watching trial matches.

I know we can't just sign whoever we want and we will miss out on targets to other teams but surely we could secure some players without needing to trial them.

Trials to me smack of players who are largely unknown to the staff and they then end up basing their signature on a game or two and some training.

Do we not have a scouting system where players are identified, watched playing for their club over a period and then offers made? Please don't tell me we miss out on every target identified in this manner, I know we will on some but it does appear that we are not doing this at the moment at a time when we have needed to.

Perhaps the amount of trialists, loans and unknowns is reflective of the managerial revolving door in recent times resulting in a scouting system being unable to be established.

We have to be open to the lot to be honest.

The transfer system has changed and we, like most clubs, are not in a position to watch players and then just go and make a cash offer to their clubs to get them. So mnay players now work on short term deals and walk away when they are done.

Trials are a way to take closer look at some of those players that become available and often it's as much about seeing how fit they are to get brought right in.

Players we've looked at recently have also been on trail at the likes of West Ham, QPR and Leeds so we're not really alone in doing this.

The young guy motherwell picked up last week was on a trail and has gone straight in scoring and creating goals.

We've picked up the likes of Latapy, Boozy and Benji from trials previously.

Hibbyradge
30-01-2012, 02:31 PM
We have to be open to the lot to be honest.

The transfer system has changed and we, like most clubs, are not in a position to watch players and then just go and make a cash offer to their clubs to get them. So mnay players now work on short term deals and walk away when they are done.

Trials are a way to take closer look at some of those players that become available and often it's as much about seeing how fit they are to get brought right in.

Players we've looked at recently have also been on trail at the likes of West Ham, QPR and Leeds so we're not really alone in doing this.

The young guy motherwell picked up last week was on a trail and has gone straight in scoring and creating goals.

We've picked up the likes of Latapy, Boozy and Benji from trials previously.

:agree:

Also, I think we picked Gary O'Connor up from his trial last month.

Mikey_1875
30-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Agree with the replies and have no problem whatsoever with trialists or the timing of them coming in but do feel that the Scouting system (if there is anything) has a LOT to answer for, as it seems to me that we do not have anything independent or continuity in that department. It looks to me if it has always just been up to the managers to pick out there own players and do work on a personal level. For me there should be at least one 'scout' who is independent of the managing team and will keep a level of continuity and maybe an outside perspective from the team on a player. As i've said i'm not sure what system takes place but if there is such a man at the club then he should get his jotters pronto.

Andy74
30-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Agree with the replies and have no problem whatsoever with trialists or the timing of them coming in but do feel that the Scouting system (if there is anything) has a LOT to answer for, as it seems to me that we do not have anything independent or continuity in that department. It looks to me if it has always just been up to the managers to pick out there own players and do work on a personal level. For me there should be at least one 'scout' who is independent of the managing team and will keep a level of continuity and maybe an outside perspective from the team on a player. As i've said i'm not sure what system takes place but if there is such a man at the club then he should get his jotters pronto.

Would be something to ask the Board abpout if they come on to Hibs.net for their Q&A.

I guess one answer would be that its ultimately up to the manager who is signed and they tend to do so based on their own knowledge of players or via their contacts that they trust.

PeterboroHibee
30-01-2012, 03:00 PM

It would be interesting to find out what we actually have in the way of scouting, whether there is anyone officially tied to the club or does everything go through agents and contacts?

Jack
30-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Maybe these players have been identified by the scouting system but with Pat being new, he wants to run his eye over them???

Maybe

Probably being pushed by agents.

Probably a bit of both and lots of other things.

As others have said they've already been at some pretty big clubs and if they see us as only one step down I think that rates them and us quite highly.

Eyrie
30-01-2012, 08:36 PM
A bounce game could also be used to make an assessment of a player's fitness.