PDA

View Full Version : 3 days to go. Our January Business..

Bobby's Cinema
29-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Why does it feel like reality is still yet to hit our club and our board?

Doyle
Griffiths
Francomb
Mcpake
Soares

Four loan deals. I have no real problem with that, but we are still miles short. We are truly DESPERATE for another centre half. That's glaringly obvious to everyone.

Fenlons tried to address the problem positions, but It's hard not to feel like we need a similar amount of players in as we did 4 weeks ago.

I'm very very bored of hearing it's difficult to get players in this time of year. Aye, it is. But maybe make life easier an throw a bit of weight behind the deals we're offering players FFS**

Will they do the necessary and sign the players we need in the next few days? It seems the board are quite happy to operate on a relative shoe string and hope this disaster pans out.

**For anyone that will ask, no I do not have the facts on these deals, but I refuse to believe otherwise.

Come Oan Hibs. GGTTFH

MrSmith
29-01-2012, 11:00 AM
It is exactly the same as summer 2011! No thought nor insight into having a pre-season, just get the players in at the last minute to save a bob or two! Two bit board who need purged!

truehibernian
29-01-2012, 11:06 AM
I equate Hibernian at present to being a beautiful mansion house, filled with Ikea furniture. Even then, we wait for the sales.

Mikey
29-01-2012, 11:11 AM
I know for a fact that the club holds some funds back to the end of the window as there are bargains to be had then.

Whether that's right or wrong is another matter!

And presumably that means there's a decent chance that we'll get someone else in before Tuesday.

R'Albin
29-01-2012, 11:11 AM
I think wide areas and a hard tackling midfielder are the 2 areas that need strengthened most. Stephens might prosper with a decent (hopefully) centre back next to him in McPake.

stubru59
29-01-2012, 11:26 AM
I know for a fact that the club holds some funds back to the end of the window as there are bargains to be had then.

And presumably that means there's a decent chance that we'll get someone else in before Tuesday.

Well I'm going to hold on to that fact, and the decent chance we'll get someone in before Tuesday. It's about the only thing we can hope for.

Steve20
29-01-2012, 11:33 AM
We need a defender and two midfielders at least.

HFC 0-7
29-01-2012, 11:36 AM
We need a defender and two midfielders at least.

disagree with the midfielders part. Our showing yesterday that we can make chances and play OK football, its just our defence that is letting us down in a big way. A couple of defenders, maybe even just one good CH will be enough to keep us up. We will need a lot more players next season to compete in the top 6 though, but to stay safe this season just the defence.

yekimevol
29-01-2012, 11:39 AM
just attempt to balance the squad a bit. look at it

gk - four

lb - booth, murray
cb hanlon, o'hanlon, mcpake, stephens, smith.
rb hart, framcomb, taggart

lm - galbraith
cm - stevenson, scott, Osborne, soares, wortherspoon
rm - stanton, sproule,

fw - o'connor, griffiths, doyle, sodje

we have one natural left mid, and danny is better as a impact player looking at getting a left mid is a must,a left back and we need a right mid spoony could play there but i think he is better as a attacking midfielder something that has been lacking in our current squad.

Westie1875
29-01-2012, 12:08 PM

Is that the manager's decision?

smurf
29-01-2012, 12:47 PM
We need a minimum of two impact players preferably four. Established professionals to come in and do a job. Not youngsters.

Saorsa
29-01-2012, 12:50 PM

And presumably that means there's a decent chance that we'll get someone else in before Tuesday.and if we cannae find any of them we'll just get a couple from here as last minute panic buys as per.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/BotB.jpg

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2012, 12:58 PM
and if we cannae find any of them we'll just get a couple from here as last minute panic buys as per.

Except they're not panic buys, this seems to be the board's preferred strategy despite history showing us time and time again that it doesn't work.

Absolutely no difference to this time last year, a total shambles.

scoopyboy
29-01-2012, 01:05 PM

Or keep some money back to sign players released from their contracts this week and sign them in February.

Kaiser1962
29-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Or keep some money back to sign players released from their contracts this week and sign them in February.

:agree:

brydekirk
29-01-2012, 01:18 PM

Why would u need money to sign free agents ?

Eyrie
29-01-2012, 01:21 PM
At the start of this month someone posted stats to show that about half of all January transfers take place in the last week.

Given our own situation, there was a greater need for urgency and I'd say that has been reflected in the additions of Francomb, McPake, Soares and Doyle, extension of Griffiths, Murphy's trial and the move for Goodwin. Still time to add a CH, LB and defensive midfielder before the window shuts.

Not transfer fees, but room in the wages budget for them.

Bobby's Cinema
29-01-2012, 01:23 PM
To me, we need a Left Back, Centre Half, and we have such a nothing Midfield it's frightening.

Osbournes looked a player at times, and not alot more can be asked of Stevenson since he's come back in but down both sides we are so poor. An I'm a bit confused as to what Wotherspoons position actually is.

Kaiser1962
29-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Hibernian pay wages

And signing on fees............

The_Todd
29-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Hibernian pay wages

That's not what I've read on here!

iain nolan
29-01-2012, 02:01 PM
thankfully our next game is in the scottish cup so any new players that we get in should have time to adjust for our next league game. I think we sign 2 maybe 3 before the deadline but one must be an experanced centre half like rab jones to take command of the box .i still dont think there is much between us and the likes off Aberdeen and there 6th in league just need to fix out defence :hibees

Beefster
29-01-2012, 02:41 PM

The Hibernian Board's long-term strategy for the team in action....

Never mind identifying the right players for the team and club early, pursuing them relentlessly and bagging our men, let's just wait until the last possible moment and see what bargains we can pick up, based on who's not wanted elsewhere.

Mikey
29-01-2012, 02:45 PM
The Hibernian Board's long-term strategy for the team in action....

Never mind identifying the right players for the team and club early, pursuing them relentlessly and bagging our men, let's just wait until the last possible moment and see what bargains we can pick up, based on who's not wanted elsewhere.

I said "some".

Andy74
29-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I can understand the need to immediately improve the team but the current problems at the back have been going on for two years or more. To expect Fenlon to go right out and sort it within a few weeks in January is unrealistic.

I think we've done not too badly already this window and another defender would be great but I don't see really how much more we can do at this point in the year.

Big rebuild job ahead in the summer that's for sure.

TRIALIST
29-01-2012, 04:10 PM
I equate Hibernian at present to being a beautiful mansion house, filled with Ikea furniture. Even then, we wait for the sales.

I equate Hibernian at present to a Large aircraft in a 2 year holding pattern over Edinburgh with Rod as the pilot and he's wearing handcuffs with the initials STF on them. The plane is going round in ever decreasing circles and there are thousands below wearing green and white scarves oohing and ahhing. Meanwhile a bunch of young board members all wearing green L plates are trying to keep the plane in the air by blowing upwards. The owner of the airlines is in Lourdes doing good and phoning the pilot with words of encouragement and the groundstaff are all running about like keystone cops with fire extinguishers.

Its time the airline was sold on, the plane was refueled and the pilot was given a pat on the back and a well earned posting.

iain nolan
29-01-2012, 04:10 PM
100% right:flag:
I can understand the need to immediately improve the team but the current problems at the back have been going on for two years or more. To expect Fenlon to go right out and sort it within a few weeks in January is unrealistic.

I think we've done not too badly already this window and another defender would be great but I don't see really how much more we can do at this point in the year.

Big rebuild job ahead in the summer that's for sure.

scoopyboy
29-01-2012, 04:14 PM

As others have pointed out even free agents would want wages and if the quality was there maybe a signing on fee.

Did you think free agents play for free?

brydekirk
30-01-2012, 09:59 AM
As others have pointed out even free agents would want wages and if the quality was there maybe a signing on fee.

Did you think free agents play for free?
Ha, very funny

bawheid
30-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Ha, very funny

It was a pretty daft question, to be fair.

truehibernian
30-01-2012, 10:15 AM
It was a pretty daft question, to be fair.

If Stuart McCall is to be believed, in his midweek prematch interview he admitted that their free agent Ojamma (spelling may be off) is indeed bucking the trend and playing for free......apparently the young lad just wanted football and was willing to sign and not receive a wage as such (though I'm sure that Mothers will be renumerating him some way). Going on his last two performances it seems to have paid off pardon the pun.

I think that we may see signings, but after the window shuts. Today and tomorrow I think clubs will be sitting down players and coming to agreements to leave by mutual consent. There will be some quality in amongst those players and they may be more willing to have a quick 6 month deal to do the shop window routine, regardless of where we are in the league.

AlbertK86
30-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Why does it feel like reality is still yet to hit our club and our board?

Doyle
Griffiths
Francomb
Mcpake
Soares

Four loan deals. I have no real problem with that, but we are still miles short. We are truly DESPERATE for another centre half. That's glaringly obvious to everyone.

Fenlons tried to address the problem positions, but It's hard not to feel like we need a similar amount of players in as we did 4 weeks ago.

I'm very very bored of hearing it's difficult to get players in this time of year. Aye, it is. But maybe make life easier an throw a bit of weight behind the deals we're offering players FFS**

Will they do the necessary and sign the players we need in the next few days? It seems the board are quite happy to operate on a relative shoe string and hope this disaster pans out.

**For anyone that will ask, no I do not have the facts on these deals, but I refuse to believe otherwise.

Come Oan Hibs. GGTTFH

Exactamundoe

No sign of ROD'S disciples/sons like Jack coming on yet to give you a row and back ROD

greenlex
30-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Exactamundoe

No sign of ROD'S disciples/sons like Jack coming on yet to give you a row and back ROD
I gave up reading after he said
but It's hard not to feel like we need a similar amount of players in as we did 4 weeks ago.
How can this be after bringing in 4 new players?
If negativity floats your boat at least keep it real.
Rod Disciples/sons. That really made me laugh :rolleyes:

MSK
30-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Exactamundoe

No sign of ROD'S disciples/sons like Jack coming on yet to give you a row and back RODAw diddums, did someone on here steal yer jelly tots ..:dummytit:

RickyS
30-01-2012, 11:07 AM
whats Mikey Stewart up too? still a free agent?
tin hat on here but i would sign him up, his dig would defo improve us

stokesmessiah
30-01-2012, 11:13 AM
tin hat on here but i would sign him up, his dig would defo improve us

Training with Killie i think.

MSK
30-01-2012, 11:13 AM
tin hat on here but i would sign him up, his dig would defo improve usWas he no training wi Killie ...?

RickyS
30-01-2012, 11:17 AM
was it Jeffries and Brown that Mikey fell out with at the yams?

The Sea-gull
30-01-2012, 11:36 AM
was it Jeffries and Brown that Mikey fell out with at the yams?

He has had an issue with every manager he has ever had bar Mowbray and Shabba. I am sure he did an interview a while back where he pretty much said it himself.

Depends how deep the issue with JJ and BB was. If it is the type of thing that BB feels can be let go and he believes that Mikey would do a job in our survival battle then he may well recommend him to Fenlon. If BB fell out with him big time and views him as more trouble than he is worth then I doubt we'll see him at ER.

Won't be surprised to see Mikey turn up at an SPL club some time soon, with the exception of maybe Celtic. I'm actually surprised nobody has taken him on by now as he is a decent player. Maybe a sign of the times in terms of clubs having a lack of funds, Mikey will be well off and doesn't need to sign for someone for the sake of it and perhaps his reputation doesn't help him.

He won't be Aberdeen bound just now as surely they have blown the budget for midfielders even if Arnason leaves. Though Paw Broon is clever; he always seems to say the budget is spent but then goes out and signs someone.

If Hearts can actually sign someone then he could end up there again as they were talking to him earlier in the season. He is obviously interesting Killie. Rangers may look at him as a cheap option. Sure McCall says Motherwell have no cash now and can't see him at ICT for some reason. He fell out with Houston and Levein during his first spell at Hearts so Dundee Utd may not be an option.

That leaves ourselves, Dunfermline, St Mirren and St Johnstone (who may have to replace Jody Morris who is being rumoured to be leaving before the window shuts). Don't me surprised to see him ending up somewhere in the SPL but maybe not over the next day or two as he is a free agent so can be signed post window.

The Sea-gull
30-01-2012, 12:08 PM
As I have said previously I'm not impressed with our dealings so far on paper as I believe we need proven, experienced SPL quality grafters who know the league to scrap us out of this mess. We just don't seem to get these types for some reason and I remain concerned that, based on us having used this strategy unsuccessfully for sometime now, young reject and loan players from England and other unknowns at our level doesn't work.

Having said that, football is played on grass and this may be the time it works for us. I don't know how good any of the players we have signed are any more than I know how bad they are ie I don't know much about them at all. It is just hard to be positive about these signings when other similar signings have consistently failed in recent years.

To be fair to PF he has addressed problem areas. We needed a RB as Hart alone as the only recognised RB in the squad is not enough and he has had critics so we signed Francomb. We clearly needed centre backs, from a quality and quantity point of view so McPake has arrived and if he could bring in a quality centre half by tomorrow night, even if it means he has to ship out either O'Hanlon, Hanlon or Stephens to do it then fine. We still need a LB and from what is reported PF is actively seeking to address this too.

We needed at least two midfielders, especially after the departures of Thornhill and VP. He has signed Soares and tried to get Tonge, Rae and Goodwin so I would expect another midfielder to come in.

Up front, I don't really think we need anyone now unless someone goes as we have Griffiths, GOC, Sodje and Doyle who all(with the exception of Doyle who it is too early to judge) can score. That said at least two of those three are all also prone to suspension and all three to loss of form and while GOC and LG appear to be capable of netting a reasonable amount over the course of a season, they both can go months without scoring or even playing so maybe a more reliable striker is required as we obviously need goals to stay up.

Transfer dealings so far - some problem areas have been addressed whether they have been effectively remains to be seen and I have my doubts based on the players' backgrounds but as ever will give any Hibernian manager or players the benefit of the doubt until I have had time to see them perform.

Transfer dealings still required - we must sign a quality, experienced centre half by tomorrow night. A proven left back would be good too and another midfielder who can go straight into the team, not a young unproven type for the squad, is a must. If a striker leaves then it is simple numbers - another must be signed but even if none go another would not hurt. Would like to see a CB, LB and midfielder given priority over another striker though if there are no departures in attack.

What do I think will happen by 11pm tomorrow (in-coming) We may sign a couple of players and you never know they may push the boat out for someone of real quality. I expect any signings made to be loans which is fine as may suit all best. Can see another midfielder and a striker coming with bargain basement defenders being signed after the window is shut.

What do I see happening by 11pm tomorrow (out-going) - Sodje's contract being cancelled, Martin Scott being loaned to Ross County perhaps, Sean O'Hanlon back to lower leagues in England (though that one may just be in hope) and maybe a late departure for GOC if the bid is right.

It is going to be interesting anyway. If we and the other SPL teams and teams down south are playing waiting game with regard to what might happen at Tynecastle with the view to there possibly being a few free agents on the market come Wednesday morning.........................

Captain Trips
30-01-2012, 03:03 PM
As I have said previously I'm not impressed with our dealings so far on paper as I believe we need proven, experienced SPL quality grafters who know the league to scrap us out of this mess. We just don't seem to get these types for some reason and I remain concerned that, based on us having used this strategy unsuccessfully for sometime now, young reject and loan players from England and other unknowns at our level doesn't work.

Having said that, football is played on grass and this may be the time it works for us. I don't know how good any of the players we have signed are any more than I know how bad they are ie I don't know much about them at all. It is just hard to be positive about these signings when other similar signings have consistently failed in recent years.

To be fair to PF he has addressed problem areas. We needed a RB as Hart alone as the only recognised RB in the squad is not enough and he has had critics so we signed Francomb. We clearly needed centre backs, from a quality and quantity point of view so McPake has arrived and if he could bring in a quality centre half by tomorrow night, even if it means he has to ship out either O'Hanlon, Hanlon or Stephens to do it then fine. We still need a LB and from what is reported PF is actively seeking to address this too.

We needed at least two midfielders, especially after the departures of Thornhill and VP. He has signed Soares and tried to get Tonge, Rae and Goodwin so I would expect another midfielder to come in.

Up front, I don't really think we need anyone now unless someone goes as we have Griffiths, GOC, Sodje and Doyle who all(with the exception of Doyle who it is too early to judge) can score. That said at least two of those three are all also prone to suspension and all three to loss of form and while GOC and LG appear to be capable of netting a reasonable amount over the course of a season, they both can go months without scoring or even playing so maybe a more reliable striker is required as we obviously need goals to stay up.

Transfer dealings so far - some problem areas have been addressed whether they have been effectively remains to be seen and I have my doubts based on the players' backgrounds but as ever will give any Hibernian manager or players the benefit of the doubt until I have had time to see them perform.

Transfer dealings still required - we must sign a quality, experienced centre half by tomorrow night. A proven left back would be good too and another midfielder who can go straight into the team, not a young unproven type for the squad, is a must. If a striker leaves then it is simple numbers - another must be signed but even if none go another would not hurt. Would like to see a CB, LB and midfielder given priority over another striker though if there are no departures in attack.

What do I think will happen by 11pm tomorrow (in-coming) We may sign a couple of players and you never know they may push the boat out for someone of real quality. I expect any signings made to be loans which is fine as may suit all best. Can see another midfielder and a striker coming with bargain basement defenders being signed after the window is shut.

What do I see happening by 11pm tomorrow (out-going) - Sodje's contract being cancelled, Martin Scott being loaned to Ross County perhaps, Sean O'Hanlon back to lower leagues in England (though that one may just be in hope) and maybe a late departure for GOC if the bid is right.

It is going to be interesting anyway. If we and the other SPL teams and teams down south are playing waiting game with regard to what might happen at Tynecastle with the view to there possibly being a few free agents on the market come Wednesday morning.........................

Good post along lines of my thinking re bit in bold I think that boat has no oars a hole in it and has Edward John Smith at the helm.