PDA

View Full Version : Captain McPake.

Alfred E Newman
28-01-2012, 05:11 PM
It is maybe just another sign of the state of this once proud club but when a player signed on loan and with no allegence or ties to the club is given the honour of captaining the team after only a week at the club, it shows how desperate we have become.

SaulGoodman
28-01-2012, 05:12 PM
I can't think of anyone else to give it to.

soupy
28-01-2012, 05:13 PM
To be honest, I don't see the problem with it, did you see any other captains out there today!!!

hibby67
it is maybe just another sign of the state of this once proud club but when a player signed on loan and with no allegence or ties to the club is given the honour of captaining the team after only a week at the club, it shows how desperate we have become.

who would you suggest deserves it....

SMAXXA
It is maybe just another sign of the state of this once proud club but when a player signed on loan and with no allegence or ties to the club is given the honour of captaining the team after only a week at the club, it shows how desperate we have become.

A case of us having no leaders in the squad and we sign a leader apparently so a no brainer for me. I suspected as much and have no problem with it.

Alfred E Newman
28-01-2012, 05:19 PM
To be honest, I don't see the problem with it, did you see any other captains out there today!!!

Exactly what I said. It shows what a farcical situation the club has got itself into. I can`t think there will be many clubs where a player with no previous links is brought straight in as captain. Good luck to him but getting his marching orders today means more musical armbands next week.

truehibernian
28-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Correct choice.....especially after the Generation Game way the armband was passed to GOC, Sproule then Hanlon......not one of those three with a leadership quality, not one that can read a game.

Today I was surprised at Booth's omission as Hanlon has been atrocious. Also mind boggling that Sproule evades the bench again.

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Exactly what I said. It shows what a farcical situation the club has got itself into. I can`t think there will be many clubs where a player with no previous links is brought straight in as captain. Good luck to him but getting his marching orders today means more musical armbands next week.

To be fair, i think everyone knows we need to sign some better players and preferably ones with leadership qualities. Fenlon is addressing this situation, there would be mayhem here if he did not.

SMAXXA
28-01-2012, 05:25 PM

He can play next week so wouldnt think so

CMac1988
28-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Fenlon's interview on HTV the other day suggested he doesn't make too much of a fuss about who's wearing the armband as he would like like too see 'captain's' accross the park.

PISTOL1875
28-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Mcpake is a far better option that GOC or that so-called football player Sproule..

The Sea-gull
28-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Yes a lack of candidates really. Another thing the previous manager has failed with. Murray, Hanlon, Gary o, Sproule, maybe o hanlon and now mcpake have all had the arm band. It has been thrown around like confeti.

HFC 0-7
28-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Maybe they are hoping to secure him on a permanent deal after his loan spell. giving him the armband is maybe showing him how fenlon see's him fitting into the squad and giving him more reason to sign a permanent deal?

random sub
28-01-2012, 06:10 PM
agree with OP- sad to see a short term loan signing captaining Hibs on his debut- seems too cheap

Sammy7nil
28-01-2012, 06:14 PM

I know what you are saying it simply highlights the shambles we are. We have no alternative in our squad we are Totally bereft of leaders.
It is a shocking state to let the club fall so far that a guy on loan can walk in and take the armband unchallenged. In no way am I slating mcPake it just highlights the lack of quality or grit in our squad.

stoneyburn hibs
28-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Its a bad sign when a player just arrived on loan , at the club for 1 week and is made captain , how bad must that dressing room be that not one of them is deemed a captain ?

And i would like to think the players are taking a long hard look at themselves after this decision

Sherlock
28-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Murray would have been captain if he played.

Stack would have been captain if he played.

None of the rest are leaders.

Plenty players go right in and become captains at clubs.

stanton10
28-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Murray would have been captain if he played.

Name them,

SMAXXA
28-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Name them,

Kevin Kyle?
Carlos Tevez?

hibsbollah
28-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Its a bad sign when a player just arrived on loan , at the club for 1 week and is made captain , how bad must that dressing room be that not one of them is deemed a captain ?

And i would like to think the players are taking a long hard look at themselves after this decision

A potentially excellent decision by Pat, sends a clear message to McPake and the rest of the team. I have no idea if McPake will be a success or not but its strong and decisive leadership.

stoneyburn hibs
28-01-2012, 07:23 PM
A potentially excellent decision by Pat, sends a clear message to McPake and the rest of the team. I have no idea if McPake will be a success or not but its strong and decisive leadership.

And i hope it turns out to be a good decision by fenlon , flipside is that it could be a loss of moral in the dressing room , thats if there is any of course.

Sherlock
28-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Name them,

Russell Anderson
Kyle
Joey Barton
Garry O'Connor

bob12345
28-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Kevin Kyle?
Carlos Tevez?

Craig Bellamy
Paul Hartley

JimBHibees
28-01-2012, 07:28 PM
And i hope it turns out to be a good decision by fenlon , flipside is that it could be a loss of moral in the dressing room , thats if there is any of course.

It is a good decision as he has shown with other clubs that he is a decent leader. Could care less whether anyone else in the dressing room is bothered by it.

Sherlock
28-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Dressing room stinks anyway, get the all to **** if they aren't happy.

Anyway, the only reason that McPake is captain is because Goodwin knocked us back :timebomb:

Alfred E Newman
28-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Russell Anderson
Kyle
Joey Barton
Garry O'Connor

And they were all in the first week of their loan spell?

frazeHFC
28-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Last week the news said "Aberdeen are close to re-signing Russell Anderson, who will go straight in as captain". He hadn't even signed and was basically captain. :wink:

frazeHFC
28-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Surely if these factors:

Experience
Knows the game well
Leader
Good

Are all present in a player, then why not make them captain. If Fenlon sees these in him then fair do's, captaincy isn't just about being at the club for a long time.

Sherlock
28-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Barton and Anderson went right into the club as captain as did Kyle. Loan or not it must be horrendous for them eh?

Where did a Kyle let tramps finish last season again?

There was a match I watched last week and the new signing was captain down south too. Can't mind the game though, maybe Leicester.

greenlex
28-01-2012, 08:13 PM
It all depends if you are signing a captain I suppose or indeed need one.

frazeHFC
28-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Barton and Anderson went right into the club as captain as did Kyle. Loan or not it must be horrendous for them eh?

Where did a Kyle let tramps finish last season again?

There was a match I watched last week and the new signing was captain down south too. Can't mind the game though, maybe Leicester.

Leicester signed Matt Mills from Reading the Summer who went straight in as captain. :wink:

Sherlock
28-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Leicester signed Matt Mills from Reading the Summer who went straight in as captain. :wink:

Scored too Monday eh?

Thanks for that, it's nippy when I can't remember :greengrin

frazeHFC
28-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Scored too Monday eh?

Thanks for that, it's nippy when I can't remember :greengrin

:agree:

Alfred E Newman
28-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Last week the news said "Aberdeen are close to re-signing Russell Anderson, who will go straight in as captain". He hadn't even signed and was basically captain. :wink:

Their former captain. Not quite the same as a loan player.

SMAXXA
28-01-2012, 08:26 PM

That wasnt the question the question was name -

And I believe plenty have been named :na na:

Sherlock
28-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Their former captain. Not quite the same as a loan player.

Like Ricky Foster, right in as captain though eh. Cannae be that good for morale etc :wink:

Alfred E Newman
28-01-2012, 08:33 PM
That wasnt the question the question was name -

And I believe plenty have been named :na na:

Clever you , but please re-read the OP and then name some loan players who have captained a club in their first game.

carnoustiehibee
28-01-2012, 08:42 PM
i don't think anybody has read the op

its a sad state if a guy on loan (not contract) can walk in and take captaincy.very cheap and soul selling

SMAXXA
28-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Clever you , but please re-read the OP and then name some loan players who have captained a club in their first game.

I have indeed re-read the OP and it mentioned nothing about naming loan players, the question was posted later in the thread about plenty players go straight right in and become captains, post as follows -

Plenty players go right in and become captains at clubs (QUOTE)

(QUOTE) Name them!

And I pointed out they were named :greengrin

Golden Bear
28-01-2012, 08:46 PM
It's a case if all else fails then you've got to try something different.

frazeHFC
28-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Robbie Keane?

Sherlock
28-01-2012, 08:49 PM

I would guess a player of a club full of gutless pish down the bottom like us. :wink:

Sherlock
28-01-2012, 08:52 PM
i don't think anybody has read the op

its a sad state if a guy on loan (not contract) can walk in and take captaincy.very cheap and soul selling

Newsflash.

We're in a sad state.

If it makes us better then I'm all for it.

Ivan captain, no finished.

Garry, no he's telling everyone he's away.

Ian captain, no finished.

Hanlon captain, no confidence.

Stack captain, no injured and *****.

Any suggestions from the posters slagging the decision who should be captain? Lewis Stevenson? O'Hanlon? :rolleyes:

SMAXXA
28-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Newsflash.

We're in a sad state.

If it makes us better then I'm all for it.

Ivan captain, no finished.

Garry, no he's telling everyone he's away.

Ian captain, no finished.

Hanlon captain, no confidence.

Stack captain, no injured and *****.

Any suggestions from the posters slagging the decision who should be captain? Lewis Stevenson? O'Hanlon? :rolleyes:

I'd take Captin Birdseye over most of the players at out club :greengrin

Sherlock
28-01-2012, 09:01 PM

With fish fingers he would do a job in goal :greengrin

whiskyhibby
28-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Which club is yours ?

random sub
28-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Lewis, Wotherspoon, Osbourne, all have a bit of good commitment about them. Would have made more sense to give it to them than giving it to someone with absolutely no history or experience of the club. Insulting. But I suppose we have bigger things to worry about and have nothing against McPake per se, he just should never have been captain today.

PeterboroHibee
28-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Is this really an issue? I get the impression that McPake is a leader on the pitch, noone else has stepped up to the plate so why not? In SPL terms, as an example, Webster was given the captaincy for United which most of their fans will admit to being the catalyst to them winning the cup. Bit of a shame he got sent off on his debut and a 4-0 hammering but I look forward to seeing how he does for us.

coco22
28-01-2012, 11:35 PM
if i'm being honest and had the power and choice, i wouldnt pick a captain. earn it. who can lead a team in this state...get out there, muck in, lead each other. its only a band on an arm at the current state, why chop and change? would be a big gesture by PF i suppose but why honour any current plyer?

O'Rourke3
29-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Personally if a "Captain" is the guys that shouts, cajoles, organises,bullies,encourages his team mates to be better, do more etc and McPake fits the bill. He'll do for me. As would any other player. Team seriously lacks confidence and doing something different isn't a bad way to go. Those that have argued that it might have a negative impact on the dressing room - it would if that dressing room were winning games by 6 or 7 goals per game - but they aren't. This actually takes pressure off these guys and lets them try and get back to simply trying to play a bit of football.

I too can name a captain flown into the team where there was another one embedded in the club. Joe Baker on his return home. Didn't seem to affect Pat Stanton ......

SMAXXA
29-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Lewis, Wotherspoon, Osbourne, all have a bit of good commitment about them. Would have made more sense to give it to them than giving it to someone with absolutely no history or experience of the club. Insulting. But I suppose we have bigger things to worry about and have nothing against McPake per se, he just should never have been captain today.

Bollox!! You dont just give it to someone for the sake of it, its all about leadership qualities. Wotherspoon cant get a game half the time and Lewis hardly says boo to a ghost, neither of them would be a leader or inspire anyone else. Osbourne, well I guess Pat knows him well enough by now to know thats not in his make up. Dont forget we dont see these players every day and know what personalities they have, Id guess Ozzy is probs quite quiet like the other 2 you mention. McPake was absalutley the correct choice with his previous leadership qualities previously being captain etc.

Andy74
29-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Did on loan Andy Webster captain Dundee Utd to third place and Scottish Cup?

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2012, 11:40 AM
We have posts stating we have no leaders, no players that deserve the captains armband. We then sign one and that's wrong too.

SMAXXA
29-01-2012, 11:44 AM
We have posts stating we have no leaders, no players that deserve the captains armband. We then sign one and that's wrong too.

:agree:

But are you actually surprised BH?

Hibbyradge
29-01-2012, 12:13 PM
It is maybe just another sign of the state of this once proud club

The club is still proud, in my view.

FitbaFolkKen
29-01-2012, 12:18 PM
I would think it is partly to reinforce that Mcpake is in charge at the back, as he was controlling the back line on Sat. Telling them when to push up etc..

Alfred E Newman
29-01-2012, 12:23 PM

If we had actually signed him it would not be so bad. This thread was not intended to critisise Fenlons surprising decision to immediately give the captaincy to McPake but surely that decision must only further underline the desperate state of the club.

SMAXXA
29-01-2012, 12:26 PM
If we had actually signed him it would not be so bad. This thread was not intended to critisise Fenlons surprising decision to immediately give the captaincy to McPake but surely that decision must only further underline the desperate state of the club.

I really dont see the problem, we lacked leaders, we sign a leader but we dont make him captain because he is only a loan player? Makes no sence? Im sure he was signed for not only his playing abilities but his attitiude and personal attributes.

ScottB
29-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Ultimately, the Captain should be a leader, capable of getting everyone else in line etc. Clearly we have nobody who was already on the books capable of that job, so if Fenlon reckons McPake can do that, so be it.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2012, 12:33 PM

I did not surprise me at all he made him captain, we have been crying out for one for a very long time. On loan or signed up on a 5 year deal, it makes no difference to me. Unless its escaped anyone notice we are in the sheite, we have no leaders in the squad, it makes sence to give it to a player who is.

Who else desrves the job, as i dont see any captains in this squad?

Albion Hibs
29-01-2012, 12:39 PM
The biggest issue with making mcpake captain is that he is having to spend his first game, at a new club, in a new league, away from home to the current champions, rallying and organising the team in front of him. He should have been left to focus getting through the game, it was a stupid decision from Fenlon in my opinion.

greenlex
29-01-2012, 12:40 PM
The biggest issue with making mcpake captain is that he is having to spend his first game, at a new club, in a new league, away from home to the current champions, rallying and organising the team in front of him. He should have been left to focus getting through the game, it was a stupid decision from Fenlon in my opinion.
If his game is part based on leading and directing players around him cajoling them into position and encouraging then there is nothing stupid about the decision.

SMAXXA
29-01-2012, 12:51 PM
If his game is part based on leading and directing players around him cajoling them into position and encouraging then there is nothing stupid about the decision.

:agree::top marks

Albion Hibs
29-01-2012, 12:53 PM

"if" his game is about that, he is not very good at it, and it would have been much more useful if he directed himself and managed to see out the 90 and make himself available for the next league game.

greenlex
29-01-2012, 12:55 PM
"if" his game is about that, he is not very good at it, and it would have been much more useful if he directed himself and managed to see out the 90 and make himself available for the next league game.
Possibly the most stupid post on the subject yet.:rolleyes:

SMAXXA
29-01-2012, 12:57 PM

:faf:

Unbelievable

Albion Hibs
29-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Possibly the most stupid post on the subject yet.:rolleyes:

Not really. I dont agree with him being made captain, and I dont think it will have helped him. You seem to think he needs the armband to be organised and sort out those around him.

I am annoyed he has got himself sent off in a game which would be nothing more than bonus points for us, and will now miss a home fixture.

In any event if my post was "the most stupid" I feel your lack of substance and thought in your reply has just trumped it.

Lets just leave it at that.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Looks like someone is unhappy Ian Murray seems to have lost the armband? :faf:

Albion Hibs
29-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Looks like someone is unhappy Ian Murray seems to have lost the armband? :faf:

I would not have thought so, but I think you will probably be getting a little bit excited about the prospect.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I would not have thought so, but I think you will probably be getting a little bit excited about the prospect.

You'd be amazed at what gets me excited.

Albion Hibs
29-01-2012, 01:07 PM
You'd be amazed at what gets me excited.

Is that a chat up line?

In any event I am suitably unimpressed, and slighly freaked out by your advances.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Is that a chat up line?

In any event I am suitably unimpressed, and slighly freaked out by your advances.

Only in your world. :faf:

SMAXXA
29-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Only in your world. :faf:

I can feel the sexual tension :greengrin