PDA

View Full Version : No handshakes at QPR v Chelsea today

matty_f
28-01-2012, 11:18 AM
The FA have confirmed that there won't be handshakes at the start of the QPR v Chelsea game today to diffuse tensions between the clubs. Not sure I'm in favour of that - surely it just brings things more into focus and as the handshake is something of a gesture of reconciliation, then it would surely be more appropriate to do the handshake?

Frazerbob
28-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Ferdinand must have intimated that he wouldn't shake Terry's hand so the whole thing was cancelled to avoid further tension and bad press.

Betty Boop
28-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Anton Ferdinand was apparently sent a bullet in the post.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/9045356/QPR-defender-Anton-Ferdinand-receives-a-bullet-in-the-post-ahead-of-Chelsea-FA-Cup-match.html

H18sry
28-01-2012, 11:29 AM
I was looking forward to a Wayne Bridge esq moment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw_W-A5-zoU :greengrin

Pretty Boy
28-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Handshakes were definitely still planned as of yesterday.

I can only assume that with the bullet incident and Ferdinand suggesting he wouldn't shake Terrys hand it has been decided it would be better just to avoid a potential flashpoint before a balls even been kicked.

SMAXXA
28-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah reported on SSN that Ferdinand has said he would not be shaking Terrys hand. I think it is a sensible decision to be honest, dont put them in a situation that could cause further tension, no big deal,

Sammy7nil
28-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Is this game Live on TV ?

fatbloke
28-01-2012, 01:02 PM
The FA have confirmed that there won't be handshakes at the start of the QPR v Chelsea game today to diffuse tensions between the clubs. Not sure I'm in favour of that - surely it just brings things more into focus and as the handshake is something of a gesture of reconciliation, then it would surely be more appropriate to do the handshake?

Absolutely scandalous decision. football and in particular English Football needs to get a grip on itself. Trial by television, refusal to use technology for the game's benefit, pundits etc scrutinising every player at great length, total nonsense. Football is not an enjoyable experience these days. It's money money money all the way and value for money is bottom of the pile. From ridiculously priced meals at ER to the comedic goings on at TPB to the wages of Wean Rooney and the clown that is Harry Redknapp. FIFA and UEFA are mostly to blame as well. Football is no longer a sport it's a disgrace. Moan over.

Eyrie
28-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah reported on SSN that Ferdinand has said he would not be shaking Terrys hand. I think it is a sensible decision to be honest, dont put them in a situation that could cause further tension, no big deal,
Sepp Blatter would have made them shake hands.

easty
28-01-2012, 01:06 PM
I dont see the need for handshakes before a game anyway. If there are friends on opposite sides then by all means go and greet them but shaking hands just for show seems pointless to me.

Paisley Hibby
28-01-2012, 01:09 PM

I wouldn't want to shake John Terry's hand! He's an odious man. Ferdinand would have been quite right to snub him. However, I can't help thinking this decision is more about protecting Terry from embarassment - well I mean, he is the Engerland Captain after all!!