PDA

View Full Version : Headers further than I can kick it

bigwheel
28-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Bit of light relief.....who have you seen (any team) that can header the ball for miles.....my starter is Gordon Rae.....I can often remember him heading from the 18 yard line to about the half way line....

R'Albin
28-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Never seen him myself, but always get told about the guy Eric Black that used to have a header more powerful than most players shots..

son of haggart
28-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Never seen him myself, but always get told about the guy Eric Black that used to have a header more powerful than most players shots..

he had a fair old bonce on him.

Willie Bauld was a legendary header of the ball, although I never saw him in the flesh. Alan Gordon was good.

The best I have seen though was a dundee united player I had hardly heard of who played for Scotland U-21s back at Tynie in the 70s/ early 80s - scored (or nearly, canny mind) from the edge of the box with a slammer - his name was Andy Gray.

bigwheel
28-01-2012, 08:26 AM

Phew had great technique.... Could jump incredibly high for a relatively small centre forward.....had that great skill of seemingly hanging in the air waiting for the ball to arrive....

Pedantic_Hibee
28-01-2012, 08:55 AM
I remember a Nicky Barmby headed goal for Tottenham from nigh on 20 years ago that was placed into the corner from the edge of the box.

And without exaggeration, I'm sure Henrik Larsson scored a diving header for Sweden in the World Cup from approximately 78 yards out.

Sammy7nil
28-01-2012, 08:58 AM
I remember a Nicky Barmby headed goal for Tottenham from nigh on 20 years ago that was placed into the corner from the edge of the box.

And without exaggeration, I'm sure Henrik Larsson scored a diving header for Sweden in the World Cup from approximately 78 yards out.

LOL and said with an almost straight face :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

bigwheel
28-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Willie Bauld was a legendary header of the ball, although I never saw him in the flesh. Alan Gordon was good.

The best I have seen though was a dundee united player I had hardly heard of who played for Scotland U-21s back at Tynie in the 70s/ early 80s - scored (or nearly, canny mind) from the edge of the box with a slammer - his name was Andy Gray.

Now he would stick his head were most wouldn't put their feet !

Bishop Hibee
28-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Most recent example at Hibs would be big Rob Jones. There were games when his napper was like a magnet for the ball.

Leitherhibs
28-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Dmitri khoklov no idea why but always renember this goal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL0qlcNqKss&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone

fatbloke
28-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Bit of light relief.....who have you seen (any team) that can header the ball for miles.....my starter is Gordon Rae.....I can often remember him heading from the 18 yard line to about the half way line....

Aye and that was when we were on the attack:greengrin

tamig
28-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Big Gordon McQueen. Almost unbeatable in the air and was always a threat at set pieces. Remember one he scored from Man U from the edge of the 18 yard box that went into the top of the net like a rocket. Get well soon big man.

Spike Mandela
28-01-2012, 02:23 PM
If memory serves I remember school taking us to Hampden for an International against NI or Wales, I think, and Derek Johnstone scored a header from outside the 18 yard box.

--------
28-01-2012, 02:27 PM

:agree: Andy was a great header of the ball.

A bit of a big heid-the-ba at times as well, though?

son of haggart
28-01-2012, 02:39 PM
If memory serves I remember school taking us to Hampden for an International against NI or Wales, I think, and Derek Johnstone scored a header from outside the 18 yard box.

Yep

One of the few players comfortable at both centre forward and centre half